Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bouncers In Limerick

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Gneez wrote: »
    I'm guessing I'm a more fun guy to be around than someone who responds with angst laden one liners all the time (protip: you)

keep-calm-and-carry-on.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭bantee

I don't be out as much any more in Limerick but haven't had many problems getting stopped the last couple of years with the "not tonight bud".

Usually when I heard it before, I was pretty drunk but I've often heard stories like yours OP from friends and just in general its fairly well known that this trick is used more often in Limerick than in any other city in Ireland.

There have been previous threads on this too IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    I
    You know you're getting too old for all that craic when you complain that the music is too loud in Charlies....at nine o'clock

That statment makes no sense,because being in Charlies certainly indicates you're not getting too old :P

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭SupraSonic_26

I know the can say management reserve to right to admission but dont they have to say under what grounds? The bouncers i know say theres no way around it cos its a public house they can choose who they want to let in to there premises?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭Elbi

I have to say the bouncers in smyths/icon are probably the worst in limerick, they let you in when they feel like it and if they dont thats though on you,

I have to say I dont have a problem with them anymore, Im 28 and used to go there every sat night for a few, there was this one bouncer (he is gone now) that when i was on my way in one night he said not tonight love, it was 7.30pm not a sinner in the bar i assumed he was jokin as I was always there i walked in only to be grabbed and dragged out by the arm, which was shocking,
    I said to another bouncer I know what his problem was and he goes "oh he is like that come back in a min il let you in" i said "not a fcukin hope"

• Advertisement

They get away with treating people like crap its not right.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Jumpy wrote: »
    Never once been refused entry in Limerick. Not once. I used to be a twice a weekend clubber and have been to them all.

I cant see how you would be refused unless you are drunk, you started trouble before or you look like a scummer.

Same here ,people get refused for a reason

not tonight isnt a reason when your a normal couple just going out to have a drink for the weekend, ive been going there 7 years so theres no way they cant say im not a regular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Gneez wrote: »
    What video would that be then?

My dislike is from personal experience of listening to the crap they come out with when I'm in some place like bakers or costelloes and am unfortunate enough to have one of them strike up a conversation with me in the smoking area.

I stand there trying to be polite as I hear yet another story of their visit to thailand or bangkok or as they tell me about yet another completely obscure band that nobody has ever heard of before (usually because they are some sucky obscure band from the urals or india) or their opinions on some topic which they once read a wiki article about and now they consider themselves a professor in social-economic troubleshooting.

One was talking AT me in costelloes the other night for half an hour, he just talked and talked and talked about the most pretentious crap I've ever heard in my life, I would interject occasionally with completely off the wall stuff like ''oh yea well I trained siberian tigers to fight bears in siberia back in the 80's'' and he just completely ignored everything as it went over his head and kept talking about some trip to india where he bathed in some holy stream or some crap.

protip: you're also part of a herd mentality if you are so quick to lump other people into social groups.

Here's a tip - maybe you should avoid Bakers and Costello's because that is where most of that crowd go.

Why do you stand around talking to strangers for a half an hour in those places, especially if you don't want to?

You appear to be very worked up by completely harmless strangers.

Sounds to me like you have issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭Elbi

Same here ,people get refused for a reason

No thats not true at all, I dont look like a knacker, never been in trouble of any sort, never started a row, never been anything but polite to any bouncer around limerick , its only smyths i have ever been stopped in , once or twice before i was left in i was asked for id from the bouncer who wouldnt let me in so he wouldnt know my name its greek so its no tlike he thought i was someone else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭kiersm

Have to agree with you the bouncers in Limerick are a nitemare, they'll stop you if they feel like it. Rem being out with OH and he got refused for being drunk, he hadn't even had a drink!!! Don't bother going in anymore cos it's just not worth the hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭bantee

kiersm wrote: »
    Have to agree with you the bouncers in Limerick are a nitemare, they'll stop you if they feel like it. Rem being out with OH and he got refused for being drunk, he hadn't even had a drink!!! Don't bother going in anymore cos it's just not worth the hassle

Absolutely. I used to work evenings until 12 and often lads would go for a drink in town or head straight to the Icon after work.
    They've been stopped with the "you've had enough bud" and "not tonight". Absolutely ridiculous given the fact a total sober person is basically explaining to them that they haven't touched a drink yet and have come straight from work, and they still have the arrogance to refuse them and not go back on their word :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

got refused there once with the same excuse, simple solution, I don't go back. If they dont want my business, grand, place is a kip anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

The pints in Smyths are rank anyway, why would you bother going in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Costellos is a kip to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 DaMagooster

There has always been a few d**ks that work in Smyths, Icon that refuse people for no reason. I used to go there every weekend with at least 7 of my mates. At €10 a head and an average of 7 drinks each at €4-5 we spent a fortune in the place. Not alone the drunken keyring photos etc..
    Then one week for no reason I was stopped, I thought it was a joke and I said "shur we practically live here"...The answer was if I didnt **** off I would never get in again. I said that means that your losing out on 7 of us regulars to competition. He just goes "move out of the line"....Some business.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Jambo221

Mc Love wrote: »
    Costellos is a kip to be honest.
    I miss the old carpet, the new one doesn't have the same charm :P

Speaking of which, I never have any problems when Flan is on the door, but whenever I hand my passport to any of the other lads they'll run their finger along the laminate looking to see if it's fake. I don't mind though, it helps distract them while I try to keep my balance ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Everyone out to Shannon, we're lovely out here :D Nobody gets turned away for no reason

• Registered Users Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Melion wrote: »
    Everyone out to Shannon, we're lovely out here :D Nobody gets turned away for no reason

but are yere women any good? :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    but are yere women any good? :)

Has improved a lot over the last few years :D especially since the place was renovated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

My cousin and I got stopped going into Mollys' last bank holiday monday. The reason given was that this was a student bar. Looking in the window the place was quiet at the time.

Have been in there a number of times prior to that.

Saying that I was talking to a taxi driver a week later about the incident, and he said that earlier in the week there was some graduation in one of the colleges. Mollys' had out the crash barriers ready for a major influx of graduates. He said the place was dead that night.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The most shameful thing I ever saw with regard to bouncers in town happened about two and a half years ago. A well-known student bar refused entry to 3 men, despite them having ID that proved they were well into their 20s. It was about eight o'clock in the evening too, so they were nowhere near drunk and the premises was nowhere near busy. They did all have one thing in common though. They were black.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

YFlyer wrote: »
    My cousin and I got stopped going into Mollys' last bank holiday monday. The reason given was that this was a student bar. Looking in the window the place was quiet at the time.

Have been in there a number of times prior to that.

Saying that I was talking to a taxi driver a week later about the incident, and he said that earlier in the week there was some graduation in one of the colleges. Mollys' had out the crash barriers ready for a major influx of graduates. He said the place was dead that night.

Somebody told me that apparently, there are no legal grounds for refusing someone on grounds of "student bar". I know management reserve right to admission and all that, but still.

To be fair, I'd want something a bit more classy than the aforementioned for my graduation!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Somebody told me that apparently, there are no legal grounds for refusing someone on grounds of "student bar". I know management reserve right to admission and all that, but still.

To be fair, I'd want something a bit more classy than the aforementioned for my graduation!

They refused another chap, who looked like he was in his 30s just before us. He laughed and moved on.

Two Gardai walked by the place just seconds before that. Heard some stories that they are keeping an eye on the place over rowdy behaviour and possibly underage serving.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

YFlyer wrote: »
    They refused another chap, who looked like he was in his 30s just before us. He laughed and moved on.

Two Gardai walked by the place just seconds before that. Heard some stories that they are keeping an eye on the place over rowdy behaviour and possibly underage serving.

Doesnt stop them letting questionably old men in who stand around eying up young ones. No joke, seriously! The things I would say and the stories I have but I dont want trouble!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Deacon

Hope this puts some things in perspective

I have had many conflicts with bouncers just like you have and I can totally identify with where you are coming from. You show up at a place to have a beverage and maybe dance with a lady by your side. Then two or more over grown goons put there hand out and with a smug look upon their face utter a rehearsed verse "Your not a regular" " Not tonight" "you had one too many" This is done while you maybe in line with friends. you feel singled out. It is done in such a manner as to demean you. If you ask for an explanation they threaten to bar you. It becomes a power struggle
    with your dashed pride and the bouncers over inflated ego.

This mind set and approach takng from a Door man/ Bouncer or when they are being sued in court their defense counsel call them security personel. What to remember when going out in Limerick is that a lot of these guys on doors have massive ego's and may not be the brightest bulbs. Try go out sober a few times and take notice of how moronic they really are.It is really a lot of fun. kinda like going to the zoo. I noticed most of them are probably starved of attention in their personal lives and feel the need to have bearly legal half dressed under sexed drunk young girls oogle over their buffness. Something like a primate banging his chest and making a mating call to other primates. (but young alcohol and drug induced primates)

The different types of Bouncers in Limerick.

Knuckle heads

You have the old shape studios crowd peaking at the late 80s and 90s.All worked out together in city centre above o connell mall. The jasmine chinese restraunt now. Where there idols were Arnold hasta la vista guy... Rocky sylvester stalone . They would watch 80s action movies and invison themselves as being able to take on armys individually like something out of commando. They would stand on the door of a premises and if you did not have shoes they would point at you and insult you onfront of other people. Sometimes provoking fights to validate their toughness. Telling you that you are not welcome in because of the way you were dressed. This was the norm.

But having growing up with a lot of the bouncers I have intimate knowledge of their bull**** behaviours. A lot of these guys were poor growing up and really skinny. The perfect concoction of inscurity to seek some power. Beefing up on steoids at all costs and seeking the power to tell people "NO". Their lack of education prevented them from being polite towards people and treating them with anyself respect. These folks are what Frank Mc Court talks about in Angelas Ashes. "Begruders" They have no logic for their reasoning. They usually have 6 second brain span. They may leave you in if you try a minute later. They tend to foget.

The Grunt

Usually played rugby and was in the pack. takes pain killers and cow injections before any game. Can't make it on the Munster or Irish team. Plays for one of the weaker provinces at best. Personality deficient and extremely paranoid and violent and willing to attack if you look at him the wrong way. Chases you around the club and looks for confrontation with absolutely everybody. Sees you at the cinema with your partner and steers you down afterwards. Slows down in traffic and threatens your life. Intimidated enough people to create the opportunity to have his very own security company eventually. Many cases of assault looming over his head and pending for trial. Highly volatile proceed with caution.

Kung foo billys

They earn reputation as tough guys in martial arts. They usually work on the front lines. Been the person to stop you at the door. They grown up watching Patrick swayzee in road house and probably got off too. Then they allign themselves with with somebody like Steven Segal and try to be just cool. Looking at you from the side of their eyes and living off their reputation as a so called hard man.These ones are morons to. My suggestion here is take up Karate or whatever and beat the living egos out of them.

Drug dealer
    Places himself in the market to push product. Sleazy and charming

The pervert

Probally was not accepted at regular school. Becomes a success story for his family when he graduates from catherine mccaulies school for mentally retarded. Beefs up dyes his hair blonde does sunbeds and prays on unsuspecting naive young drunk schoolgirls. Cockblocking every other guy in the bar. He will only stop you at the door if he thinks you will take the girl he has targetted earlier.

Down right Unhappy
    This person usually is an ugly guy from the get go. In a ****ty marraige Maybe looks like Frankenstein is gangly looking with red hair and gaudy skin. Works around the clock day job in shopping centre or petrol station. The only thing that fuels this insignificant piece of **** is being angry and telling people "No" This type is personality deficient and very jealous. Walk on egg shells untill you get a past him. Gets paid cash by night club and does not report earnings to tax office. Known for taking his aggression out by hitting customes in back room or overseeing it. smiling while it goes on.

Deacon

P.S

Just to give you an insight of what Bars and nightclubs are willing to employ. If you have any of the above skills. Being ignorant, Angry, perverted, an out and out angelas ashes begrudger you will have a host of employers to chomp at the bit in this economy.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

And on that wonderfully polemic note, thread closed :rolleyes:
    It must be wonderful fun to profile an entire profession from behind the safety of a computer desk...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement