Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bouncers In Limerick

Options
  • 11-11-2010 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭

This is a bit of a rant but im sure theres some people out there this has happend to and im sick of it, my girlfriend is from cork she comes up the weekends we have went out in limerick about 4 times in the last 2 months like charlies, flannerys smyths and icon. Im a regualr in smyths and icon going there years im 27 my gf 21, we went out last weekend and got stopped at smyths, flannerys and angel lane for no reason all we got is not tonight. Thats the biggest load of crap anywhere and only in limerick as when were in dublin cork or galway never have any problems anywhere only here. I can understand if we were dodgy looking troublemakers but were just a normal couple going out for a drink to wind down they need a good slap or fired i feel do they not want our buisness.I know the manager of one of these places and will be going up tonight to complain.:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

No offence, but If you got turned away from all those places in one night then something was definitely up with ye. The bouncers in Smyths/Icon and Angel Lane have relaxed big time since financial realities hit home.

By the way, no matter how bad bouncers are/were in Limerick, I always found them far worse in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭SupraSonic_26

If there was something "up with us" i wouldnt be posting this i know a few bouncers in each place on the inside of the clubs and they said it depends what mood the guys are at the door that night its a joke, that mean we have to stay in every sat night and cant go out just to enjoy ourselfs?

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Gneez

I've had the same thing happen to me loads of times, several times coming out of an evening shift and meeting up with friends and being dragged to one of these places and being told I'm too drunk despite not having any drink in me at all, can't say I was ever disappointed Angel Lane and Icon are sucky anyway, but I've quite a few wtf moments when girls have been literally carried in the door completely langers and I've been told to gtfo too drunk despite being completely sober.

To be honest it's what you get for going to Icon or angel lane in the first place, you're better off going to a casual late bar like dolans, costelloes or bakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,018 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I think Irish Bouncers in general need to take note of how the UK bouncers do it. Even in places where i have been refused over there the bouncers will give you a good reason and be nice about it. Much easier to accept it then. I was even in one place where they where kicking a guy out who was pissed drunk. One of the bouncers happened to bump off us in the process, which is to be expected in a busy pub, but he came back a few minutes later to apologise for bumping into us and explain they where just trying to get the guy out swiftly. I found ths in Edinburgh, Bristol, Coventry, Cardiff and a few more places. Here its a case of i will refuse you cause i feel like it, get out of my way when they walk through clubs and also i know of a few lads that have got a good beating off them for next near nothing. One was even mistaken identity. It seems like act first ask questions later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

A few of them would be on powertrips. I can never understand the "not tonight bud", though I noticed in Edinburgh once, they wouldn't let a group of us in, as there were too many groups of lads in the bar, so they wanted to even it up with more women. I suppose just in case it kicked off in there. (too many stags in Edinburgh I'd imagine)
    I haven't had any problems for years with bouncers though, but the one that used to irk me was "sorry bud, you're not wearing shoes, not tonight". Funnily enough, since the pubs have been screwed, I haven't seen it since.
    One thing I noticed in Scotland was they didn't seem to throw people out who were really drunk, only when they started causing hassle, which I found odd...
    You should complain anyways, but if you don't know who the bouncers were, it will come to nothing. Don't go in ranting, just tell them your story, that you're a regular, and you think it's out of order...
    I agree with the late bars, but they need more regular late bars, as opposed to indie rock late bars. Not everyone is going to go up to bakers, but if they had a more neutral spot, it would be good. I am a fan of costelloes, but sometimes when you are in there, it's just SO alternative, it's too cool for school, so it deters more people from going there. (That can be a good thing, and a bad thing)

• Advertisement

Persoannly i think there a disgrace and shouldnt be given a bouncing job in the first place, people should be stopped if there trouble or too drunk thats it not this not tonight crap, would it be discrimination?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,084 ✭✭✭✭phog

If there was something "up with us" i wouldnt be posting this i know a few bouncers in each place on the inside of the clubs and they said it depends what mood the guys are at the door that night its a joke, that mean we have to stay in every sat night and cant go out just to enjoy ourselfs?

Why didn't you ring or text the guys you know in the inside and get them to vouch for you or at least get them to introduce you the outside bouncers sometime, this might achieve more than a rant here.

Thing is i did, i trian with a few of the in the gym and the 2 i trian with were off that night plus the manager i know so i couldnt do anything, they said they have no say when people get stopped who ever has run of the door has the say who they want to let in unless the manager says its ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Persoannly i think there a disgrace and shouldnt be given a bouncing job in the first place, people should be stopped if there trouble or too drunk thats it not this not tonight crap, would it be discrimination?

Nope, management reserves the right to refuse admission.

I am a fan of costelloes, but sometimes when you are in there, it's just SO alternative, it's too cool for school, so it deters more people from going there. (That can be a good thing, and a bad thing)

good thing mostly, yeah theres a few hipsters (god how I hate hipsters) that go there but costellos/bakers/the chicken usually has a good mix of people. Its not all art students anymore you often see girls in short skirts that arent the alternative type up there nowadays. But not so many thats its like D'iconnnnn.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

OP all bouncers now must have a licence from the PSA and are legally required to wear an ID badge. If you have an issue get the bouncers ID number from the ID and complain him to the PSA. If they're not wearing the ID complain the pub / club to the PSA

• Advertisement

krudler wrote: »
    (god how I hate hipsters)

high five, I too hate them with the fury of a thousand suns.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

good thing mostly, yeah theres a few hipsters (god how I hate hipsters) that go there but costellos/bakers/the chicken usually has a good mix of people. Its not all art students anymore you often see girls in short skirts that arent the alternative type up there nowadays. But not so many thats its like D'iconnnnn.

wtf are hipsters? :confused:

notice the pretentious stance, the thick glasses, the smug faces and the clothes that came from a second hand shop, hipsters like things that are unpopular or are not mainstream just so they can claim to like non conformist things like obscure music and generally they just regurgitate crap they read on wikipedia all the time, they try to present themselves as out of the box free thinkers but are in fact mostly pseudo intellectuals who are pretty much a lite version of the 90's grunge crowd with a justin beiber twist.

God how I hate them.

edit: also hipster girls are almost entirely feminazi's and hipster men are almost entirely bisexual beta-males

hipsterq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Gneez wrote: »
    notice the pretentious stance, the thick glasses, the smug faces and the clothes that came from a second hand shop, hipsters like things that are unpopular or are not mainstream just so they can claim to like non conformist things like obscure music and generally they just regurgitate crap they read on wikipedia all the time, they try to present themselves as out of the box free thinkers but are in fact mostly pseudo intellectuals who are pretty much a lite version of the 90's grunge crowd with a justin beiber twist.

God how I hate them.

edit: also hipster girls are almost entirely feminazi's and hipster men are almost entirely bisexual beta-males

hipsterq.jpg
    ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

And what popular sub culture do you nonconform to?

Nihilistic neo-fascist

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Bouncers in Limerick? Pretty much the same as bouncers anywhere in Ireland to be honest.

Most are decent folk doing the job as best they can. Some are surly but do their job to the best of their abilities, and a small number are jumped up no marks who abuse their roles, often ruining people's night out.

Im not questioning that there decent i know there doing there job but just to stop a normal couple out for a social drink for no reason is stupid, as others have said they leave in people younger then us full of drink falling all over the place its a disgrace sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

God how I hate them.

hipsterq.jpg

Thats them, I was in San Francisco a few weeks ago and as much as I loved the city, hipster fcuking central. It was awful, drainpipe jeans, casette player walkmans stuck to their belts, ironic moustaches...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

I personally despise the bouncers in D'iconnnnnnnnnn.

'over 20s only love'

Really Mr Bouncer Man??? Because you were only TOO happy to let me in LAST Saturday night!

Bouncers aren't the same all over Ireland I find, but a lot politer in Cork and Galway.
    Was on a class Party in Galway recently and a girl in my class was refused in Cuba for being too drunk, I had a quick chat with the manager, he sadi come back in 15 mins and make sure she has something to eat. I came back 15mins later with her, he had a quick chat with her, let her in! See? Cooperation!!

You can tell a large portion of the bouncers in Limerick were bullied as kids!

More than once I've been refused for being drunk when I've had nothing to drink!
    You know you're getting too old for all that craic when you complain that the music is too loud in Charlies....at nine o'clock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

yeah, but not enough in costelloes if you are up there on the *ahem* pull. Usually the women in Costelloes are with guys.
    But that was in my younger days when I was on the prowl. (I still am, but not as blatanty lol). Somewhere like D'Iconnnnn would have more opportunities for scoring if that's youre thing. I just go to Costelloes now to chill out for a few late beers.

But, yeah, there can be quite a few hipsters up in Costelloes, or "stylers" , as I would like to call them. You know, they are like the front window in Topman or River Island, out of fashion in 6 months time...But yeah, I do notice more "regular" folk up there in Costelloes these days, which is a good thing. If you want to go on the pull forget about it though lol!!!

ANyways., bouncers in CLohessys are pretty sound. Got talking to them once, and chat away to them anytime I'm down. They're dead on..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    By the way, no matter how bad bouncers are/were in Limerick, I always found them far worse in Cork.
    I find the opposite to an true. Limerick bouncers are unbelievably bad, they are so far up their own asses and every one of them is on a power trip. I lost count the amount of times i got refused from Smyths, Icon, the Old Quarter and Trinity Rooms. This 'Not Tonight ****' is the greatest load of bull. I dont bother going out in Limerick anymore as a result when i come home at weekends. With the exception of Reardens, the bouncers in Cork are generally very reasonable. No stuck-up attitude like those wasters in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Never once been refused entry in Limerick. Not once. I used to be a twice a weekend clubber and have been to them all.

I cant see how you would be refused unless you are drunk, you started trouble before or you look like a scummer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

This has been going on for years in Limerick. It is not as bad as it used to be though. Best thing you can do is talk to the manager and be polite about it, if you get thick about it forget it.

It can be really frustrating though as there is no consistency to their decisions.

I couldn't be bothered with clubs like that anymore as a result.

Oh and I have to laugh at the people getting worked up about some of the "hipster" crowd. Funny how that phrase is being thrown about everywhere lately, since a certain video went viral.

One herd mentality having a go at another. :rolleyes:

RonMexico wrote: »
    Oh and I have to laugh at the people getting worked up about some of the "hipster" crowd. Funny how that phrase is being thrown about everywhere lately, since a certain video went viral.

One herd mentality having a go at another. :rolleyes:

What video would that be then?

My dislike is from personal experience of listening to the crap they come out with when I'm in some place like bakers or costelloes and am unfortunate enough to have one of them strike up a conversation with me in the smoking area.

I stand there trying to be polite as I hear yet another story of their visit to thailand or bangkok or as they tell me about yet another completely obscure band that nobody has ever heard of before (usually because they are some sucky obscure band from the urals or india) or their opinions on some topic which they once read a wiki article about and now they consider themselves a professor in social-economic troubleshooting.

One was talking AT me in costelloes the other night for half an hour, he just talked and talked and talked about the most pretentious crap I've ever heard in my life, I would interject occasionally with completely off the wall stuff like ''oh yea well I trained siberian tigers to fight bears in siberia back in the 80's'' and he just completely ignored everything as it went over his head and kept talking about some trip to india where he bathed in some holy stream or some crap.

protip: you're also part of a herd mentality if you are so quick to lump other people into social groups.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Are you actually being serious? :confused:

You're labelling an entire section of society based on the clothes they wear, and then saying you dislike them because they talk about trips abroad. If you stand around and keep listening to something you're not interested in just to be "polite" then you deserve to be annoyed by what you listen to. Don't make out they're the problem just because you hang around long enough to get bored by some stranger's conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Never had much of an issue with bouncers in Limerick. Only been refused once, on my 18th birthday which also happened to be my grads night in Trooms. A tad unfair but them's the brokes!

I do remember though, one strange night heading to Molly's (shudder), where I had to show the lad on the door my bank card AFTER showing him my Garda ID and college ID. Funny thing about it was, the place was more or less empty inside.
    What video would that be then?

My dislike is from personal experience of listening to the crap they come out with when I'm in some place like bakers or costelloes and am unfortunate enough to have one of them strike up a conversation with me in the smoking area.

I stand there trying to be polite as I hear yet another story of their visit to thailand or bangkok or as they tell me about yet another completely obscure band that nobody has ever heard of before (usually because they are some sucky obscure band from the urals or india) or their opinions on some topic which they once read a wiki article about and now they consider themselves a professor in social-economic troubleshooting.

One was talking AT me in costelloes the other night for half an hour, he just talked and talked and talked about the most pretentious crap I've ever heard in my life, I would interject occasionally with completely off the wall stuff like ''oh yea well I trained siberian tigers to fight bears in siberia back in the 80's'' and he just completely ignored everything as it went over his head and kept talking about some trip to india where he bathed in some holy stream or some crap.

protip: you're also part of a herd mentality if you are so quick to lump other people into social groups.

Which you've just done...?

You sound like a fun guy to be around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭fullback4glin

I just can't stand the bouncers in Nancy's and Molly's. They just think they're **** hot cos they play seconds with Garryowen.

By law they cannot say "not tonight". As previously posted, you should get their ID Number off them. They are obliged by law to have this clearly displayed. Report them!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭billox

i've never had an issue being stopped at any door in Limerick except when i was younger but that was just cos the pub was 21's and i was under 21 at the time

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Which you've just done...?

You sound like a fun guy to be around.

I'm guessing I'm a more fun guy to be around than someone who responds with angst laden one liners all the time (protip: you)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm guessing I'm a more fun guy to be around than someone who responds with angst laden one liners all the time (protip: you)

Doesn't make you right, though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement