Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ZTE Blade / Orange San Francisco

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Yeah thats the one i used.

Even typing has gotten way better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ooter

got one of these yesterday in liverpool.1 thing i've noticed is that the internet is very slow on it,painfully slow in fact.anyone know the reason for this and if there's anything i can do to fix it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

Any good sites to get this off (live in Cork - NI not an option :/)?

Its been two days since I installed Froyo, as I've said performace difference is huge! But it hasnt been without its downsides:

It has crashed twice (Touch unresponsive, pull out battery job to restart it)

I have that wifi issue everyone talks about (doesnt reconnect after sleep, downloaded blade wifi thing, seems to be doing the job)

I dont know would i be able to go back to 2.1 though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭ronano

I've got a htc g1 and im considering buying this phone,any reason why i should stay with the g1?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

Any good sites to get this off (live in Cork - NI not an option :/)?

Besides getting one shipped over from the UK or going up North, I think we're outta luck pal :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Cheers for the helpful thread, Witness. Picked up the phone in Newry yesterday with the £20 mandatory top up.

Before I mess around with the unlocking and the rooting the warranty-voiding... what features should I make sure are functioning correctly? I can connect to the internet over wifi, so that's grand.

EDIT: Aha! Found the thread I was looking for. [Link]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭emo72

Fnz wrote: »
    Cheers for the helpful thread, Witness. Picked up the phone in Newry yesterday with the £20 mandatory top up.

Before I mess around with the unlocking and the rooting the warranty-voiding... what features should I make sure are functioning correctly? I can connect to the internet over wifi, so that's grand.

EDIT: Aha! Found the thread I was looking for. [Link]

10 pound mandatory top up when i bought it:confused:

99 + 10 credit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Hmm, there seems to be a background static noise constantly present during calls. It also comes out when I use the voice recorder app. I'm coming from a cheapy Nokia 2310, so don't feel my standards are unreasonably high.

It's borderline irritating.
    emo72 wrote: »
    10 pound mandatory top up when i bought it:confused:

99 + 10 credit

Yeah, their policy changed recently. The guy who was dealing with me suggested it may be due to an increase number of people unlocking the phones for use on other networks. :pac:

A £10 mandatory top up still applies to some of their handsets. The San Francisco is one of the ones that have been 'bumped up', unfortunately.

Can't honestly blame them tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

Orange vary their top-up's periodically, depending on a number of things. One thing is they look at demand for the handset, as well as the prices other retailers on the high-street charge for handsets. The box-breakers (you guys! ;)) also are a factor.

Bear in mind that the top-up amounts change frequently (generally Tuesday or Thursday). For what it's worth Orange/ZTE handsets tend to be very reliable, generally not the prettiest or made from the most expensive materials but I would take an ZTE over an LG any day.

Finally, at the minute Orange are doing Christmas gift boxes with all PAYG handsets over £30. Not sure what's in them this year though.

• Advertisement

Fnz wrote: »
    Hmm, there seems to be a background static noise constantly present during calls. It also comes out when I use the voice recorder app. I'm coming from a cheapy Nokia 2310, so don't feel my standards are unreasonably high.

It's borderline irritating.

Yeah, their policy changed recently. The guy who was dealing with me suggested it may be due to an increase number of people unlocking the phones for use on other networks. :pac:

A £10 mandatory top up still applies to some of their handsets. The San Francisco is one of the ones that have been 'bumped up', unfortunately.

Can't honestly blame them tbh.

Sounds faulty, Mine is perfect call quality.

Damn I'm buying at least two this weekend :/

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭t0mm13b

Newry: can you tell us what shop/street was it in? Speaking of Newry, am I right in thinking that's the place before you ever get to belfast?

Excuse my question as I've never been to the north! :confused:

There is a Newry way up further up North... http://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&q=Newry&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Newry,+United+Kingdom&gl=ie&ei=oLftTO6EAYmChQeGkYTxCg&oi=geocode_result&ved=0CBwQ8gEwAA&ll=54.154795,-6.335678&spn=0.15521,0.441513&t=h&z=11

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

t0mm13b wrote: »
    Newry: can you tell us what shop/street was it in? Speaking of Newry, am I right in thinking that's the place before you ever get to belfast?

Excuse my question as I've never been to the north! :confused:

There is a Newry way up further up North... http://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&q=Newry&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Newry,+United+Kingdom&gl=ie&ei=oLftTO6EAYmChQeGkYTxCg&oi=geocode_result&ved=0CBwQ8gEwAA&ll=54.154795,-6.335678&spn=0.15521,0.441513&t=h&z=11

The orange shop in newry is in the buttercrane shopping centre

http://buttercraneshopping.co.uk/findus/

@Joe_The_Santa: Ahh cheers for that.... :) w00t

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭slowlydownwards

Me likes the new lightened froyo! :D

How much is the SF RAM? I am seeing on another forum - that there's an AMOLED version which comes with 512Mb RAM, and the LCD version which comes with 150Mb RAM....

Any confirmation on this? ???

How much is the SF RAM? I am seeing on another forum - that there's an AMOLED version which comes with 512Mb RAM, and the LCD version which comes with 150Mb RAM....

Any confirmation on this? ???

There is an LCD version with 256mb RAM (100mb reserved for OS = 150mb)

There is an LCD version with 256mb RAM (100mb reserved for OS = 150mb)

Ok, thanks for that, which is it that comes with Orange? Is it the AMOLED version or the LCD version?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

AMOLED. The LCD version is the Chinese model.

Baza210 wrote: »
    AMOLED. The LCD version is the Chinese model.

Interesting because on Orange's website in respect to the San Francisco, and on other boards, it is defined as LCD....???!!! unless there's a mistake somewhere....:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Right....

According to the user reviews of Orange San Francisco the the screen is OLED

http://shop.orange.co.uk/mobile-phones/San-Francisco-from-Orange-in-grey

The AMOLED 512mb version is available in Europe ONLY with Orange UK and a French carrier
    Variants available in Hungary, Germany (?) & Sweden are the LCD 256mb versions

The LCD ones wont work with AMOLED version ROMs BTW

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sombaht

Anyone having any trouble with an unresponsive screen? I've managed to unlock the phone and it recognises my Irish sim, but I cant slide to unlock the phone anymore. It boots fine, displays Android logo, orange logo then just remains at the unlock screen with the volume and lock buttons displayed. Very annoying as it worked fine first day.
    No hope of returning it to the shop either as it was picked up in Birmingham! :(

Cheers,
    sombaht

@sombaht: Man, sorry to hear that... frickin 'ell.... that aint good... shiiyat, might check out the forum for San Francisco over at modaco.com, register there, and post a thread there and then - fingers crossed for ya... my conclusion - if I make the trip up to Newry, train tickets cost what roughly 50 euro, to heuston, and from there to Connolly and get another ticket up to Newry, it might not work out, €120 + 50 + (I reckon another 50 euro) = €220 euro ... that worth it? :'( that's niggling at me... meteor's HTC Wildfire is 189 euro online... meh... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sombaht

Yeah I checked out the forums on modaco allright but still no joy. I've installed the r4 custom rom by modaco and that works, in the sense that it installed successfully and displays the modaco logo at the start, but it still hangs at the swipe to unlock screen. Everything else works, just the damn screen, which is kinda important! :rolleyes: :confused:

my conclusion - if I make the trip up to Newry, train tickets cost what roughly 50 euro, to heuston, and from there to Connolly and get another ticket up to Newry, it might not work out, €120 + 50 + (I reckon another 50 euro) = €220 euro ... that worth it? :'( that's niggling at me... meteor's HTC Wildfire is 189 euro online... meh... :(

Play.com have the white version for €140 incl. free shipping
    Any issues, you have 28 days to return (its based in Jersey :rolleyes:), and you have to pay P&P yourself ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Play don't ship electronics to Ireland, I thought?

Play.com have the white version for €140 incl. free shipping
    Any issues, you have 28 days to return (its based in Jersey :rolleyes:), and you have to pay P&P yourself ;)

Thanks shadowninty - the thing about the white version is TFT not AMOLED... :D have tried play.com - wouldn't take my laser/maestro card... :( and also, reading the t&c's on play.com - it will not ship out electronic goods overseas.. :(

Baza210 wrote: »
    Play don't ship electronics to Ireland, I thought?
    But they ship digital media :/
    Thanks shadowninty - the thing about the white version is TFT not AMOLED... :D
    Upon further research this seems unfortunately so - and all the TFT versions have just 256mb RAM (so far)
    T have tried play.com - wouldn't take my laser/maestro card... :( and also, reading the t&c's on play.com - it will not ship out electronic goods overseas.. :(
    :(

• Advertisement

So for cheapness of it all, getting train up to newry or flying over to UK will add up... i.e. very €€€ thanks to O'Leary... :roll-eyes:

Advertisement