Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cavity Wall Insulation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Cootehill wrote: »
    Thats €900 after i get my grant. Its costing €1550 before i take the grant out of it. Have looked around at a lot of companies before i settled on the right people for the job.

Who are you using?? You can PM me the company name if you don't wish to post it. Ta.

nophd08 wrote: »
    When you say partially insulated? with polystyrene boards and fibreglass underneath floorboards. I presume its polystyrene everywhere apart from underneath a bit of flooring.

You need to replace all polystyrene with fibreglass and plenty of it, 2-300mm layed between joists and then layed in other direction on top. Probably only 100mm under your floor. You can get insulated slabs for attic floors. If you get this done you'll notice HUGE difference.

The fibreglass is underneath the flooring and the poly sheets are under the roof felt but only half the roof is completed. Was like that when I bought the house.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Thats €900 after i get my grant. Its costing €1550 before i take the grant out of it. Have looked around at a lot of companies before i settled on the right people for the job.

Ah, that's more as I expected. Forget the grant when you quote costs, not everyone will get a grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Cootehill

Hi folks,
    Just a quick update. Got my walls pumped with beading and the attic topped up with insulation as well. It turns out that i had no insulation whatsoever in my walls which would probably explain why i was losing heat quickly!! Anyway had it done thursday and the guy said it would take a few days to notice the difference so warm house here we come!! I dont follow the technical stuff but all he said was that it took 15cubic meters to do the job and he said thats quite a lot. does it take that long for the job to start having an effect? something about the adhesive to cure??? like i said i'm not up with all this lingo:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 JohnnyHogg

Hi Cootehill & PauloMN

Could you both please PM me what companies you employed to insulate your house and what you paid?

I am in the process of arranging this at the minute and would appreciate learning from your experiences.

Thanks

J

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

what the man above said...

if you could pm me the 2 companies also...

thanks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

PMs sent earlier guys.
    Hi folks,
    Just a quick update. Got my walls pumped with beading and the attic topped up with insulation as well. It turns out that i had no insulation whatsoever in my walls which would probably explain why i was losing heat quickly!! Anyway had it done thursday and the guy said it would take a few days to notice the difference so warm house here we come!! I dont follow the technical stuff but all he said was that it took 15cubic meters to do the job and he said thats quite a lot. does it take that long for the job to start having an effect? something about the adhesive to cure??? like i said i'm not up with all this lingo:D

I'm no expert either, but it might take a few days for the walls to build up heat now that you have insulation in the cavity - maybe that's what the guy meant.

I'm happy with the work I had done overall, makes a difference, and I had some insulation already in the cavity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Tomjim

Is there a difficulty with the bead if it gets wet, ie rain comes through the external block. I heard that if the bead gets wet it is impossible to dry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭caesarthechimp

No, thats the blown fibre; there are concerns with that getting wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Tomjim

what is blown fibre

What are the different types of cavity insulation

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Digger01

" Hi folks,
    Just a quick update. Got my walls pumped with beading and the attic topped up with insulation as well. It turns out that i had no insulation whatsoever in my walls which would probably explain why i was losing heat quickly!! Anyway had it done thursday and the guy said it would take a few days to notice the difference so warm house here we come!! I dont follow the technical stuff but all he said was that it took 15cubic meters to do the job and he said thats quite a lot. does it take that long for the job to start having an effect? something about the adhesive to cure??? like i said i'm not up with all this lingo ""

Cootehill ,Could you please PM me the company name in Meath, also the price you paid,
    and type of house ,semi d etc. Also more importantly have you noticed any difference. And any other advice . Thanks

I have <SNIP> calling out to quote me next week. A work colleague used them and said they were good.:)

Mod edit: Please read the forum charter - no names allowed. Send any recommendations you have by PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lod32

Hi, I am looking to insulate the house as my house is cold and expensive to heat. I have looked at different forms and feel external cavity insulate might suit my house best. I gather there is a problem with blockage in the cavity walls so it may be difficult to insulate efficiently.

However looking at people experience it seems a good solution. I have a four bed detached house and the finish on the outside requires no further painting or upkeep. This makes me feel wrapping the house in external insulation will not work. Also the is the bridging factor where heat appears to be lost and the long term implications.

Anyway, I need to find a someone who can do a good job and I need to know the cost to ensure it is affordable. I see you recommended someone in Meath. I also intent to insulate the attic, put down click boards and insulate the roof. Hope this helps.

Thanks for you help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 annie gilpin

muffler wrote: »
    The ticking off was successful so :D
    hi muffler,i have got a bit of work done on site since i was chatting to u last.road made into the site,founds in and subfloor built.Building to start when weather gets a bit better.was wondering whats your view on cavity insulation,beads or boards?iam also dry lining. cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 45,881 ✭✭✭✭muffler

hi muffler,i have got a bit of work done on site since i was chatting to u last.road made into the site,founds in and subfloor built.Building to start when weather gets a bit better.was wondering whats your view on cavity insulation,beads or boards?iam also dry lining. cheers
    I would recommend the bead insulation as you will ultimately achieve a better rating. The wider the cavity the better.

This would be a good time to get a BER assessor on board and they could give you some good advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Quiksilver

nophd08 wrote: »
    Sorry to butt into this thread. Can you PM me also. Does your house already have any type of cavity insulation?. I was told by one company that I needed to put sleeve over mains cable in cavity as static will break it down over time. Another company, who have been in the game for years said not to bother as the insulation that was there already had no effect on it. There is 50mm aeroboard in cavity since build 10 years ago.
    The cables may be fine at the moment but there is still a chance of the cables breaking down ( by the way it's not static that breaks down the cable.). All insulation contractors are supposed to cover all non-protected pvc coated electrical cables. It's not worth the risk really. If the cables can't be covered by the insulation contractor they should block the area where the cable is and not pump that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭u2thepale

HI,

I had a company out which quoted me just before Xmas and I was intending getting both cavity wall insulation (beads) and Attic insultaion within the next few months.. However I read an article in the Irish Independant dated 13th Jan 11 .
    This year which has made me postpone for the time being anyhow...

Obviously this could all change but it's definately worth Noting...

http://www.irishlife.ie/uploadedFiles/Retail/body/guides/irish.life.independent.finances.guide.pdf

This year which has made me postpone for the time being anyhow...

Article was in the "Your Money" section under energy saving..

However, one of the problems withthe grant schemes, particularly today,
    is that you have to pay for the energy-efficiency project yourself
    and then get a rebate.The ongoing credit crunch means
    it is proving hard for many people toraise the initial cash.
    The good news is that the Departmentof Communications, Energy andNatural Resources is set toreplace the current energy-saving
    grant schemes with a new discount based“retrofit” scheme this year.
    Under this new scheme, fundingwill be passed on to customers as upfront
    discounts on the costs of project srather than the customers
    having to wait for grant payments after they have completed their
    projects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 shaneox

Hi,

Would it be pos to PM me the companies that you guys used for the cavity wall job?

Thanks,

S

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lod32

Hi Folks,

Thanks for all your information to date. If someone can PM the name and contact number of a good company that can deliver a good job I would be delighted. I will also keep my mind open in relation to any change over in the grants system.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Shannon2011

Hi all,
    I've had 3 quotes in from diff companies for pumped cavity insulation.
    Details: 3 bed semi in kildare. 108 sqm

A- €1053
    B- €1200
    C- €1272

Can anyone please let me know if these are competitive prices, the fact that they are all in & around the same price mark, makes me think the price is ok.
    Also the 1st company said I need to get a BER cert to qualify for the goverment grant. Is this correct?

• Advertisement

Hi all,

A- €1053
    B- €1200
    C- €1272

Can anyone please let me know if these are competitive prices, the fact that they are all in & around the same price mark, makes me think the price is ok.
    Also the 1st company said I need to get a BER cert to qualify for the goverment grant. Is this correct?
    All good quotes and yes you need a BER (before and after) cert to qualify for the grant. I think the cost of the cert may also be grant aided but Im open to correction on this. Check here for details

• Subscribers Posts: 41,238 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

muffler wrote: »
    All good quotes and yes you need a BER (before and after) cert to qualify for the grant. I think the cost of the cert may also be grant aided but Im open to correction on this. Check here for details

just to clarify, its only an AFTER BER cert which is compulsory. Its €100 grant aided, which is not to be included in the minimum grant amount applied for.

The assessor will have to certify the before and after energy values as part of grant payment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Shannon2011

Thanks guys, 1 more quick Q?
    Recommend beads or Foam?

Beads for me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭pieface_ie

I was told by one company that I needed to put sleeve over mains cable in cavity as static will break it down over time. Another company, who have been in the game for years said not to bother as the insulation that was there already had no effect on it.

Polystyrene can break down cable insulation so its best to provide the cable with a degree of protection if it is going to come into contact with polystyrene.

Well the well known company from Meath failed to show to do me a quote :mad:

Hi all,

A- €1053
    B- €1200
    C- €1272

Can you PM me the companies please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ottop

Hi

Will you P M me the name of the company in Meath that you used ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Macspower

Thanks guys, 1 more quick Q?
    Recommend beads or Foam?

At the moment only the beads are certified and therefore only beads are eligible for the grant..

There is a good reason for this.. Most companies doing foam in the walls are using an open cell foam but there is a major problem with this. Firstly the foam that they are using doesn't go everywhere.. and even if it does the open cell foam has a major drawback over time.. the problem is 2 fold... the open cell foam can pass water through it so the idea is that the water will flow down through the foam and cause no problems.. however in reality and in my experience in the bottom of the walls the foam acts as a sponge and can retain the water and act as a bridge transfering the dampness from the outter wall to the inner wall.. secondly if the foam is retaining the dampness it is liable to constant expansion and contraction int he very cold weather as it freezes and thaws and can shrink and cause loss in insulation..

sorry for the long winded explanation...

Just my experience and this is coming from someone who works with spray foam everyday ;)

So for now it's beads... ( there will be a change in this soon when our new product gets tested and certified)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Have any of you you guys had experience with beads being pumped into cavities which contain ridgid insulation already?

Advertisement