Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norway

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Awful_Bliss

There's no lions in Norway though.

We had a big bloody tiger here at one stage and look what it did to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

We had a big bloody tiger here at one stage and look what it did to us.

What did we expect when we started hanging out with a tiger?

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Craebear

andala wrote: »
    Norway is beautiful, the scenery is breathtaking but, unless you live in a city, you're like a hermit. A vocalist of a Norwegian black metal band whose name I have forgotten, once admitted that up to the age of 18 he had seen no more than 5 people in his life: his parents, 2 classmates and a shop owner. Not my idea of fun...

Sounds like Gaahl, formally of Gorgoroth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

Norway has one of the highest suicide rate in Europe and there are plenty of immigrants, they just don't mind them as the job market is huge.

That's due to the extreme darkness of the extreme north with 23 hours of darkness in winter and 23 hours of sunshine in summer. If we had that in Ireland we'd have a higher rate than them...

Norway is beautiful, the scenery is breathtaking but, unless you live in a city, you're like a hermit. A vocalist of a Norwegian black metal band whose name I have forgotten, once admitted that up to the age of 18 he had seen no more than 5 people in his life: his parents, 2 classmates and a shop owner. Not my idea of fun...

Welcome to Connemara..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

If we are going to start copying another nation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switzerland is where it's at.

Direct democracy, mild tasty cheese, birds in clocks, collapse-proof banks, multi-function pocket knives, neutrality, a per capita GDP of $70,000, an almost entirely non carbon fuel electricity grid, which is 56% hydroelectric (this in an entirely landlocked nation), home to CERN, FIFA, the International Olympic Committee, the World Trade Organisation and the Red Cross.

All accomplished with a population not much bigger than our own, while keeping taxes to one of the lowest rates in the world and without any significant natural resources to speak of.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Nevore wrote: »
    I don't trust the fúcking Norwegians. They're only three or four generations removed from real live vikings. I can't get past the idea that their perfect socially just society is some kind of trick and they're all going to throw off the trappings of civilization and come screaming down again wielding axes and swords. :(
    dont you read history? they already conquered us a long time ago us but we were too sound to enslave so they integrated with us, bred with our women and gave us new culture and skills. we have viking blood

they used to jump in one of their big ships when the beer supply ran out and they'd sail off to somewhere foreign for a bit of a bender/rape fest/pillage, then bring back whats left, the lads who drank too much and slept in didnt make it back onto the ship home. maybe thats why Ireland has a drink problem, its bred into our genes

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

norway the only place in the world which sees more rain than ireland so most will be right at home :) the natives though would be confusing, best looking women in the world, the word MILF was surely invented in norway, anyone walking through Vigeland park on a sunny day will attest to this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Norway has one of the highest suicide rate in Europe

That's rubbish! Norway actually have one of the lowest suicide rates in Scandinavia (which is usually quite hight because of the bleak winter weather conditions & lack of sunlight) and over all they are 23rd out of the 47 European countries according to the World Health Organization's suicide rate statistics.

Btw since Latvia are getting back on their feet and actually offering to help Ireland out of the hole we dug for ourselves (how the tables have turned eh?), I think they could be an ideal destination for the thousands of unemployed Irish especially considering their stunning women are complaining about the lack of men. Riga here I come! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Norwayviking

dont you read history? they already conquered us a long time ago us but we were too sound to enslave so they integrated with us, bred with our women and gave us new culture and skills. we have viking blood

they used to jump in one of their big ships when the beer supply ran out and they'd sail off to somewhere foreign for a bit of a bender/rape fest/pillage, then bring back whats left, the lads who drank too much and slept in didnt make it back onto the ship home. maybe thats why Ireland has a drink problem, its bred into our genes

We are still doing that except for the rape/pillage part:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

6. They have beautiful women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

They learnt not to give a fúck about Eurovision years before we did.

Everyone says we have it bad now but I think the "Eurovision years" 1987-1997 (ie when we actually took it seriously) is the actual lowpoint in Irish history.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Norway has more Oil than Saudi. They have a Sovereign wealth fund larger than Chinas. They have far more cash than they even know what to do with.

Comparisons to Ireland are completely meaningless.

No they don't have more oil than Saudi Arabia, but anyway a country doesn't necessarily need to be rich in natural resources to be prosperous (although it helps if we just don't give away the resources we do have for nothing, like Bertie had done).

Look at the Swiss. They didn't even join the EEA like Norway, yet trading restrictions to the rest of the EU remain minimal.

Unemployment in Switzerland is currently 3.7%, the lowest in Europe. It boasts one of the highest per capita incomes in the world. Look at how they protected their agricultural industry, an industry that is/was so vital to Ireland. Look at the happy workforce - the lowest strike rate in the developed world.

Ireland could never think outside the box though.

We had senior politicians brushing off the IMF bailout as a work of "fiction", up until Friday last, when it was been reported by all the major news networks worldwide. They come to Dublin, and our ministers are calling it a work of "fiction". We must be a laughing stock!

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭andala

Raekwon wrote: »
    That's rubbish! Norway actually have one of the lowest suicide rates in Scandinavia (which is usually quite hight because of the bleak winter weather conditions & lack of sunlight) and over all they are 23rd out of the 47 European countries according to the World Health Organization's suicide rate statistics.

I stand corrected. I'll never trust tourist guides again :D

I stand corrected. I'll never trust tourist guides again :D

You read/heard that in/off a tourist guide? :D LOL

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    Ah Norway, where the second largest political party is a far right anti immigrant group. What could possibly go wrong there?

Really didnt know that!! where did you hear that from.I:rolleyes: cant remember voting for them

pipelaser wrote: »
    I was dating a girl from Norway for almost two years and we were looking at moving there, although my heart wasnt really in it (It was the boom times:rolleyes:), I wouldnt have had to pay tax for the 1st 4 years! 4 Years! Her Cousins boyfriend from england was working as a waiter there and was in his final year of not having to pay tax.

Major incentive!

Wow that must be for the foreigners coming to Norway,cause it sure didnt happen to any of the natives, including me.:mad:
    And why didnt it happen to me when i moved to Ireland????
    Think you need to get your facts right there mate:confused:

Why are we such idiots in this country. And elect such a corrupt shower of **** to run it

Take Norway

5. They have a strong immigration policy so they might not let me in :(
    No problem if you paint yourself with some shoepolish and call yourself Ali,they will let you in straight away.
    And if you are a former member of a terrorist organisation like al qaida you will be more than welcome.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

¨
    What you, Irish folk might dislike about it is partial prohibition. Off licences close at 4pm and don't open on weekends if I'm not mistaken. Also, the staff is instructed to talk you out of buying high percentage alcohol and suggest something lighter. If you're thinking of producing your own booze, police will be notified if you buy too much sugar in shops :)
    ¨

Haha that was funny, but a load of crap. The offlicenses close at 5/6pm and 2pm on weekends, thats only for wines and spirits. You can buy beer up to 8pm during the week and 6pm on weekends, its pretty strict but its not that bad once you get used to it.

The thing about sugar is not true, sure they sell alcohol making equipment in loads of shops over here.

One thing i will say though, its fierce expensive to buy alcohol, approx 18 euros for a 6 pack of beer. !

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Sitric

"Weekends" meaning just Saturday, no alcohol at all on Sunday so not really total crap!

@Pipelaser and Norway viking, it's actually the first 2 yrs as a tax resident you can claim the standard deduction of 10%.

http://www.skatteetaten.no/en/taxnorway/Arbeidstaker/arbeider/norsk-arbeidsgiver/78153/10-standardfradrag---inntektsaret-2008/#kapitteltekst

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

That's not quite true about the off licenses, beer of up to 4.5% alcohol can be bought in Norwegian supermarkets, anything above must be purchased in the state off license, the Vinmonopolet. To purchase in there you have to be over 25. Most beer in Norway is tasteless yellow fizz from Carlsberg (Ringnes, Tuborg etc), so it is well worth paying a visit to the state off if you want something nice. Be prepared to pay for it though, I was charged €9 for a bottle of Nøgne Imperial stout. Lovely beer but not worth €9 in an offie.

I love visiting Norway but don't think I could live there

Sitric wrote: »
    "Weekends" meaning just Saturday, no alcohol at all on Sunday so not really total crap!

@Pipelaser and Norway viking, it's actually the first 2 yrs as a tax resident you can claim the standard deduction of 10%.

http://www.skatteetaten.no/en/taxnorway/Arbeidstaker/arbeider/norsk-arbeidsgiver/78153/10-standardfradrag---inntektsaret-2008/#kapitteltekst
    Yeah thats nothing new to me,i also claim 80000 NOK in seamans deduction each year,but to me it sounded like pipelaser was taxfree the 4 first years!!!!:rolleyes:

Advertisement