Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Round 19: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

mickdw wrote: »
    I have a feeling this win will go to vettels head and he will be even more of a d**khead next year. Someone should really strap that finger down too.

+1

Wrong result for me but how and ever.

What a terrible race to end the year with, boring procession just like last year :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

mickdw wrote: »
    I have a feeling this win will go to vettels head and he will be even more of a d**khead next year. Someone should really strap that finger down too.
    I dont know if redbull shafted webber by pitting him when they did or whether it was a throw of the dice to try to get him past alonso but it certainly worked in favour of the golden boy.

Well if one of their men one surely they're justified?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

+1

Wrong result for me but how and ever.

What a terrible race to end the year with, boring procession just like last year :mad:

Completely different race to the one I spent perched on the edge of my seat working out points & scenarios & pre-commentating the BBC coverage...I guess as the result was the one I was after my nerves were keeping it all interesting!

Vettel is a talent to be reckoned with, I hope he continues to go on to challenge records, youngest F1 Champion should only be the first of many!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Where exactly are people getting that Alonso was saying Petrov should have let him through? Could you hear him through his helmet over his engine? He stated afterwards that he was upset over his aggressive driving etc, not that he didnt let him through, yet again people making a mountain out of a mole hill about Alonso.

Vettel definitely deserves this title considering his bad luck this year, without the technical stuff that hindered him he would have wrapped this up races ago.

Next year should be awesome, 5 champions on the grid, bring it on!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭rua1972

For me it was the wrong outcome, i'd preferred Webber or Alonso to take the championship. The early pitstops just didn't work out. The topspeed of the Renaults didn't help either. The reaction from Alonso was just frustration, later on in the interview he was cooled down. When you know you're faster but just can't get passed and at the same time seeing the championship slip through your fingers, you're not happy.
    Just like Coulthard i'm sad to see the season is over. It's only 119 days till the next race.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Gintonious wrote: »
    Where exactly are people getting that Alonso was saying Petrov should have let him through? Could you hear him through his helmet over his engine? He stated afterwards that he was upset over his aggressive driving etc, not that he didnt let him through, yet again people making a mountain out of a mole hill about Alonso.

Vettel definitely deserves this title considering his bad luck this year, without the technical stuff that hindered him he would have wrapped this up races ago.

Next year should be awesome, 5 champions on the grid, bring it on!!!

I usually like Alonso but he was a dick today. I'd love to know where this "aggressive" driving was, because it wasn't shown on the broadcast and I doubt it was because of all the other overtaking that was going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,514 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Are you implying that if the tables were turned Alonso would put his seat for next season at risk just to let Petrov through?? :rolleyes:

vectra wrote: »
    Are you implying that if the tables were turned Alonso would put his seat for next season at risk just to let Petrov through?? :rolleyes:

Where did I imply that?

Alonso is a passionate driver, heart on his sleeve etc, i think its understandable that he was a tad upset after the race today, still though, there is always next year for him, Hamilton, Webber etc, im expecting an even better season next year.

Where did I imply that?

Alonso is a passionate driver, heart on his sleeve etc, i think its understandable that he was a tad upset after the race today, still though, there is always next year for him, Hamilton, Webber etc, im expecting an even better season next year.

No point in him being upset or anyone coming to his defence
    Simply put he was not fast enough

vectra wrote: »
    No point in him being upset or anyone coming to his defence
    Simply put he was not fast enough

I think he knows that, but why does that mean he cant be upset?

• Advertisement

I think he knows that, but why does that mean he cant be upset?
    What i mean is he should not take his frustrations out on another driver because he was not good enough to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Wow Schumacher was lucky
    Congratulations to Vettel. Totally deserves it.
    Cant believe Ferrari threw it away. What were they doing too busy watching Webber when they should have stuck to the plan finish on the podium every race.
    I thought getting Massa in front of Webber was a god idea if it worked out, but pitting Alonso was probably the worst call all season. I was screaming at the TV when they did it.
    I'm not surprised they lost it was on strategy though they have been poor on strategy since Schumacher, Brawn and Todt left.

I lost any sympathy i had for Alonso at the end though when he blocked waved at Petrov and his excuse to the TV was bull****. Although it was too handy for Webber to get past the Torro Rosso!

Crap circuit to decide the championship the race was a procession the only excitement from the tension provided by the championship battle and that was mainly because Ferrari ****ed up.
    Then at the end the "champagne" doesn't even flow! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Missed the race :(

Disappointed with the result (was hoping Webber would manage it)

What happened Schumi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Top Dog wrote: »
    Missed the race :(

Disappointed with the result (was hoping Webber would manage it)

What happened Schumi?

Spun out at the chicane and was pointing in the wrong direction, coupla cars went around him but Liuzzi went straight into him and over his head luckily, it looked horrible live but Schumi started moving around straightaway thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

• Registered Users Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Yikes! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

Anyone find a pic of where the car's resting by his head? I wanna see just how close it was. (I reckon only about 3 inches)

Also..

Ferrari: Vitaly, Fernando is faster than you. Can you confirm that you understood that message?
    Petrov: Что? Я не понимаю. Говорите русских ебать!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,117 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

amacachi wrote: »
    I usually like Alonso but he was a dick today. I'd love to know where this "aggressive" driving was, because it wasn't shown on the broadcast and I doubt it was because of all the other overtaking that was going on.

Just before the start of the last lap Alonso was all over the back of Petrov, got close to him down the start finish straight and was almost along side him into the second corner and then had to back off when Petrov closed the door. All looked fair enough but might have been what Alonso had a problem with

i'll have a look for video of it

edit, here it is, petrov makes mistake last corner, at that stage of the race don't think it mattered much but Alonso was pushing hard
    http://rapidshare.com/files/430911329/20101114_233213_2_.mp4

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Well Alonso had the previous 30 odd laps to try and pass Petrov... and didn't. It was Alonso that kept on falling off the track and going wide, don't remember seeing any shots of Petrov making mistakes. Alonso made plenty though, and Webber was always too far away to do anything about it. The pair of them were pretty rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

I'm delighted for Vettel even though I dont like the bit of "evil Schumi" he has in him.

Really thought Alonso had it in the bag though I suppose its poetic justice for Ferrari's mocking of the sport.

I'm glad Webbo didn't do it. I still think the guy all mouth and no trousers while trying to be Mr Cool. Silly opinion but there you go.

Hamilton and Button never had a chance this year despite coming close. The Mclaren just wasn't good enough.

Yesterdays race, because of the track imo, was all about good and bad strategy and probably a lot of luck. It was a dull race and kind of took the shine off what was a great season.

I already cant wait for next year with KERS returning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

Legard pissed me off just at the end of that clip

"He was braking from 180 miles an hour there"
    No he wasn't! He was braking from the 50mph or whatever it was first part of the chicane!

I hope he is gone next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭VW 1

Delighted for Vettel to get the Championship after some of the bad luck he had with reliability this year and pushing it close last year.

Just something that was mentioned in the commentary yesterday with regard to the return to KERS as well as an adjustable rear wing which could effectively offer up to 160 bhp increase on the straight according to Mr Brundle..should certainly make things slightly more unpredictable and more exciting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

bbk wrote: »
    Legard pissed me off just at the end of that clip

"He was braking from 180 miles an hour there"
    No he wasn't! He was braking from the 50mph or whatever it was first part of the chicane!

I hope he is gone next year.
    "Truilli's front wing is gone!"

"Rear wing Jonathan"

"It's a wing.."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

VW 1 wrote: »
    Delighted for Vettel to get the Championship after some of the bad luck he had with reliability this year and pushing it close last year.

Just something that was mentioned in the commentary yesterday with regard to the return to KERS as well as an adjustable rear wing which could effectively offer up to 160 bhp increase on the straight according to Mr Brundle..should certainly make things slightly more unpredictable and more exciting!

And more artificial...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    And more artificial...
    But you could say a man travelling at 180 mph in a box made out of carbon fibre, metal & rubber is artificial too. :)

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    And more artificial...

Works well in the A1 GP series, surely more chances for overtaking, and having to react to your opponent using the boost wont be bad for viewing purposes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

VW 1 wrote: »
    Works well in the A1 GP series, surely more chances for overtaking, and having to react to your opponent using the boost wont be bad for viewing purposes?

We had KERS last year and it was used mostly for defending positions, admittedly though only a handful of cars used it consistently but it didnt add anything to the "show." These measures were brought in as a kneejerk reaction to the Bahrain race and after a cracking season it's hard to see why the FIA are once more making changes. The main issue with F1 this year was the tyres being too stable, bring back a tyre war and the performance profile of the tyres changes completely giving us greater wear rates and more challenges with strategy. Doing something like that would actually be beneficial, aero changes are yet to work for increasing overtaking but look at Canada for what can happen when tyres force drivers to attack the race in different ways

I know KERS was there last year but that was an optional package which added weight, and meant the fuel tank had to be redesigned. Is KERS next year not going to be compulsory?

The way it was described as effectively adding 160hp to the car when combined with the front wing led me to believe that it would add to overtaking rather than the defensive nature in which it was implemented last year..

Finally I agree with you on the stability of the tyres, but do you not think a reintroduction of refueling would be beneficial, giving more of an input into strategy approaching a race, and giving a risk/reward sentiment for choosing certain strategies?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 cupcakedan

Have really enjoyed reading everyone's posts on this Grand Prix and beyond. Delighted Vettel won he was the most deserving, the fastest, the coolest and the most down to earth guy. Could Hamilton have whinged anymore than he had yesterday. When he said he wanted to come back into the pits i was hoping that they would just to beat the crap out of him for whining. Feel sorry for Webber and i am not one of his fan's but he should have kept his mouth shut about the team favouring Vettel and drive his heart out. It might of ended differently for him. He was defeated before the race started. Can't wait till next season and hopefully Eddie Jordan is there just for the cringe factor. Go on the Vettel with the winning finger.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,117 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I think it should make Vettel a better driver next year having the world championship. Hope next year there's three or four teams with the pace to challenge again for wins

Advertisement