Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAO UCC Cyclists

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭m2wua0ox56iz93

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

gubbie wrote: »

Your best attempt at a logical post in this thread Gubs, keep it up.

You appear to have difficulty comprehending the idea that abiding by the ROTR isn't up for discussion, to follow only when it suits, if every road user had your naive attitude to the ROTR then god help us all i say.

In this thread we've had 2 anecdotes relating to cyclists choosing to break the ROTR and causing or nearly causing accidents. On top of that we've had a poster saying they'll break the ROTR when it's cold and wet. Can you not comprehend that when individual road users start making the call themselves on whether they should or should not obey the ROTR then it'll inevitably lead to RTAs. As i say bad habits cause accidents.

All laws are bollocks, doesn't mean we can just choose to ignore them when we feel like it (sadlyfrown.gif).

I'd classify both that old lady you mention and cyclists like yourself who refuse to abide by the ROTR in the same category: a danger to other road users and should be off the road.

I think the majority of cyclists would play ball and accept acting the bollocks on the road deserves censure. Only the stupid minority would continue to act in such a cavalier manner.

No it's not just your problem if you get knocked down. It's a problem to the guy who has to wash your brains off the road, a problem to the traumatised motorist who squished you and a problem to your family and friends who i'm sure are quite fond of you. And of course a problem to everyone stuck in traffic as the law & fire brigade clear the scene up. No doubt you'll say you know better and it'll never happen to you, coz your such a great cyclist 'n all, but it's the same mentality as the idiots who act the maggot in the car and end up in a ditch.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

You know what would be lovely? If motorists followed the rules of the road. If motorists weren't so ignorant as to think that cyclists are second class citizens on the road. If motorists afforded cyclists the proper level of respect and basic awareness on the road.

Do you know that studies have shown that wearing a helmet when cycling actually causes accidents? Motorists overtake more dangerously, affording less space to the cyclist, when they see them wearing a helmet.

I regularly cycle to college. I follow the rules of the road. I stop at traffic lights as if I'm driving, I stay in the correct part of the road, I act as if I'm in a car. But that doesn't stop drivers pulling out in front of me without even seeing me. It doesn't stop ignorant fúckers pulling in at the curb outside a school to drop their little darlings off without looking to see if there's a cyclist coming up on the inside. It doesn't stop drivers overtaking me in areas where there is very clearly no space to get past me. It doesn't stop drivers driving too far towards the left hand side of the lane so I can't get past. It doesn't stop drivers beeping at me to get out of their way, as if I have no right to be on the road.

And most of all, it doesn't stop pedestrians walking out in front of me when I'm travelling at speed, causing me to swerve out to avoid hitting them, putting my own life at extreme risk because of the ignorant drivers who haven't given me enough space as they speed past.

So unless you've experienced the perils of cycling around Cork city and understand both how stressful and dangerous it is, then you haven't a leg to stand on here.

Just to add, I've been cycling all over the city since I learned how to cycle, and I've been driving for 6 years, so I'm pretty accomplished at both and can safely comment on both.

Faith wrote: »
    You know what would be lovely? If motorists followed the rules of the road. If motorists weren't so ignorant as to think that cyclists are second class citizens on the road. If motorists afforded cyclists the proper level of respect and basic awareness on the road.

This thread is concerned with some cyclists cavalier attitude to obeying the ROTR, not motorists. This point seems to have gone over the heads of those quick to condemn other road users and their inability to obey the ROTR, a hypocritical stance when you consider how many of these same cyclists boast on this thread about how they don't obey the ROTR.
    I regularly cycle to college. I follow the rules of the road. I stop at traffic lights as if I'm driving, I stay in the correct part of the road, I act as if I'm in a car. But that doesn't stop drivers pulling out in front of me without even seeing me. It doesn't stop ignorant fúckers pulling in at the curb outside a school to drop their little darlings off without looking to see if there's a cyclist coming up on the inside. It doesn't stop drivers overtaking me in areas where there is very clearly no space to get past me. It doesn't stop drivers driving too far towards the left hand side of the lane so I can't get past. It doesn't stop drivers beeping at me to get out of their way, as if I have no right to be on the road.

Indeed, i would argue that there is a strong case for improved cycling infrastructure in Cork and Ireland in general, as the roads around UCC are designed for the motor vehicle. However this wasn't a political priority in the bubble era, and it ain't a priority now. Still doesn't excuse cyclists acting the bollocks mind.
    And most of all, it doesn't stop pedestrians walking out in front of me when I'm travelling at speed, causing me to swerve out to avoid hitting them, putting my own life at extreme risk because of the ignorant drivers who haven't given me enough space as they speed past.

Bad driver & pedestrian behaviour still doesn't excuse cyclists, like the eejits who have posted on this thread, ignoring the ROTR. It must be tough for you Faith to follow the ROTR when many of your cycling cohorts think they know better.
    So unless you've experienced the perils of cycling around Cork city and understand both how stressful and dangerous it is, then you haven't a leg to stand on here.

This point doesn't have a leg to stand on Faith, as you will have seen in the OP, i was very nearly knocked down by an idiot cyclist who decided to ignore traffic signals, i'm sure this cyclist has had plenty of the kind of experience you talk about. This incident led to this thread which has exposed a delinquent mentality amongst many UCC cyclists. I don't need to have cycling experience in Cork in order to call cyclists on their stupid behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

Maybe those pedestrians jaywalk because they don't like being stuck at the lights in the wind and rain? according to yourself that's good enough reason not to abide by the ROTR.

There you go again pretending as if you are not 'one of those people'. Everybody jaywalks. Don't even dispute that. Stop making yourself exempt from it.

Also, are you assuming that the 'crusty' you described in your original post was such because she was riding a bike instead of driving a car. Not everybody who has a bike instead of a car is doing so because they want to save the planet. They do so because it's cheap and it's good exercise.

P.S. Nothing like coming across a long tailback on the roads that will be stuck there forever and getting to cycle right past them to the very top. :D

blow69 wrote: »
    There you go again pretending as if you are not 'one of those people'. Everybody jaywalks. Don't even dispute that. Stop making yourself exempt from it.

Thepoint you replied to was a critique of a silly cyclist who posted that they break the ROTR when it was cold, wet & windy. Do keep up. And if you had read my op, you would have seen i, a pedestrian, was waiting for the Green Man to appear before i crossed the road, no jaywalking involved.
    Also, are you assuming that the 'crusty' you described in your original post was such because she was riding a bike instead of driving a car. Not everybody who has a bike instead of a car is doing so because they want to save the planet. They do so because it's cheap and it's good exercise.

Get off your high horse, the girl was crusty in attire & appearance, hence the term i used to describe her.
    P.S. Nothing like coming across a long tailback on the roads that will be stuck there forever and getting to cycle right past them to the very top. :D

Do it in a safe manner then that's fine. The problem is when idiot cyclist x decides traffic lights are optional to obey, like silly Gubby up above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Tone down the attitude, please.

If you wish to contribute to this thread, be civil to your fellow posters whether you agree or diagree with them.
    like the eejits who have posted on this thread
    like silly Gubby up above.

*sigh* Seems like that warning just went over your head.

Thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement