Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAO UCC Cyclists

Options
  • 10-11-2010 2:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭

And in particular to the crusty looking bird who nearly knocked me down yesterday on the Western Road - Traffic Signals apply to you also, not just drivers.

This means a Red Light means STOP, it's not an invitation to continue at speed when pedestrians like myself are crossing the road when the green man allows us to.

The ROTR, a great read, swot up on it cyclists.

That is all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

Sorry you had a bad experience. Try not to tar all us cyclists with the one brush though! I cycle to and from UCC daily and am fully aware of the rules of the road.

If cyclists sometimes appear reckless, it is because we are the underdogs of road users in this country. Pedestrians and motorists are far more accommodated. I know this is no excuse for endangering people crossing the road, as in your case, but if some cyclists bend the rules then this is mainly the root cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pbowenroe

i_love_bikes_sticker-p217242862095690974qjcl_400.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭m2wua0ox56iz93

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

So let me get this straight, you break red lights and then expect drivers to have respect for you?

I cycle to college most days, and I always follow the ROTR. (Goody goody two shoes that I am :D) Generally I keep to the margin of the road, but in busy spots, like roundabouts or traffic light junctions, I move out into the road and act like a "normal" road user. It doesn't help to be timid on the road as a cyclist; if you assert yourself drivers will give you space (not out of respect, of course, out of fear of knocking you down!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

And in particular to the crusty looking bird who nearly knocked me down yesterday on the Western Road - Traffic Signals apply to you also, not just drivers.

This means a Red Light means STOP, it's not an invitation to continue at speed when pedestrians like myself are crossing the road when the green man allows us to.

The ROTR, a great read, swot up on it cyclists.

That is all.

Hear, hear! Today alone I counted 4 cyclists break the pedestrian crossings while the lights were red today. From now on I will actually stop these cyclists and explain to them... The cyclists in this country are unbelievable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Out of curiosity, and I know I got it off an episode of Mr. Bean, but is it legal to get off your bike at a red light and push it along? Then when you've passed the crossing you can hop back on the bike and cycle away?

I haven't read through the cyclist's rules in ages, and will be getting a bike soon for the 2nd term.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

If you end up under a bus or thrown over the bonnet of a car after ingnoring a stop signal, try not to be a hypocrite and cry about it afterwards ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

The day that I cycle down Washington Street and a pedestrian doesn't walk in my path is the day that I obey the ROTR.

"people in this thread are confusing safe cycling with law abiding cycling"

Win. You get a lot of abuse being a cyclist. Wet too. The drivers think they own the road and the pedestrians the foot path so you're in no mans land - except that 3m of road by Jurys thats a cycle lane

So let me get this straight, you break red lights and then expect drivers to have respect for you?

I have mixed views on this. On one hand, it is difficult to be respectful to those who often don't respect you in turn. I had the unfortunate experience of being hit by a taxi back in Galway. I didn't fall from the bike which I'm assuming is the reason the driver saw fit to drive on and not stop to at least apologise. I wasn't hurt but my bike didn't fare so well. I had to get the back wheel replaced at my own expense because the car was gone before I got a license plate. In this situation I was obeying the rules of the road, I had right of way, they drove out anyway.

On the other side of things, I consider myself a responsible cyclist now but a few years ago I really wasn't. Disrespect from motorists gave me a rather passive-aggressive stance with the drivers I shared the road with. I was reckless but felt somewhat justified in that. I guess I came to realise that if there was a mutual respect amongst all road users there wouldn't be this kind of animosity. Not too idealistic, hopefully :P
    gubbie wrote: »
    The day that I cycle down Washington Street and a pedestrian doesn't walk in my path is the day that I obey the ROTR.

Yeah, pedestrians walk out in front of me all the time as well, happened to me on the way home this evening. I do wonder about it. It may be less dangerous than walking in front of a car but being hit by a bike could still injure you pretty badly.

Ha, just seems everyone's at fault really! We all suck :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Whilst I sympathise with the general run of cyclists, and might sound a bit trite but the rules of the road are not a voluntary cafeteria menu: they are for the benefit of all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

women cant drive for $hit, on the junction off western road at the main gates last year in the storms, some blint decided it was good to slam on the brakes just AFTER she turned the bend and come to a standstill, just about 2cm from smacking her rear ass, and of course more cars behind me

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭mini5476

I agree with everything FigMurphy has said, I cycle safely while not always obeying the rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

I'm hearing in this thread a lot of selfish cyclists glorifying the reasons why they don't follow the ROTR.

Newsflash for ye guys. All road users, be they drivers, cyclists or pedestrians are obliged to follow the ROTR & the TSM, no ifs, no buts. Picking and choosing what rules you wish to follow, or which junctions you choose not to obey the lights puts you and all other road users such as myself into immediate danger.

Bad habits picked up by road users who think they know better is the no.1 cause of RTAs, i don't give a **** about the complex some cyclists appear to have about other road users, there are bad apples in every barrel. It still doesn't give anyone carte blanche to choose when to follow the ROTR, this equally applies to pedestrians & motorists btw.

At least this thread has given me a greater insight into UCC cyclists worldview. I can now understand better the mentality as to why the crusty bird mentioned in the OP thought it fair to break a red light/green man and very nearly mow me down.

One wonders whether the tone of thread would have been so tactfully supportive of the crusty bird and her right to break a Red light if she had been driving a car rather then riding a bike, i sincerely doubt it somehow.

Selfish? Is it selfish to not want to have to sit in the cold and rain just because the Irish ROTR are more backwards then the American? If cars are coming, I will of course give them right of way. If none are coming and the way is clear to turn left, I will do so on a red light. Likewise if pedestrians are crossing I'll let them go but if there's no one on it (or one person) I'll keep going and of course cycle no where near them.

As was mentioned there's a difference between idiot cyclists and cycling with sense.

Have a cop and pick up a bike and go for a cycle. Then talk about how incredible bad everyone treats you. I'm sure every cyclist here will agree that they've gotten abuse for doing absolutely nothing wrong and had there fair share of incompetent drivers almost knocking them off the bike because people don't know the width of their own car.

Selfish? Is it selfish to not want to have to sit in the cold and rain just because the Irish ROTR are more backwards then the American? If cars are coming, I will of course give them right of way. If none are coming and the way is clear to turn left, I will do so on a red light. Likewise if pedestrians are crossing I'll let them go but if there's no one on it (or one person) I'll keep going and of course cycle no where near them.

Yes selfish, and stupid, and very dangerous.

You don't want to obey the ROTR because it's cold and wet? that's stupid & selfish.

You break red lights/green men at your own discretion? That's dangerous & stupid.

Using your insight it seems clear that the crusty cyclist in question decided not to 'let me go' when the green man was showing. When people such as yourself and the crusty cyclist decide they know better then it endangers everyone else such as myself. As mentioned, the 'i know best' attitude which a lot of road users appear to succumb to, is actually an excuse for bad habits which in turn lead to RTAs.

Want to follow the US ROTR? then **** off to yankland then and cycle there instead.
    As was mentioned there's a difference between idiot cyclists and cycling with sense.

This thread appears to show a mentality amongst some cyclists that they know better, and that the ROTR don't apply to them. These are the idiot cyclists you mention. Any road user who abides by the ROTR are acting in a sensible manner, those who don't aren't.
    Have a cop and pick up a bike and go for a cycle. Then talk about how incredible bad everyone treats you. I'm sure every cyclist here will agree that they've gotten abuse for doing absolutely nothing wrong and had there fair share of incompetent drivers almost knocking them off the bike because people don't know the width of their own car.

I don't give a toss about the abuse you receive (which, seeing as you admit you break the ROTR willy nilly, can hardly be undeserved i suspect), i care about not being knocked down by people who choose, like yourself, to obey the ROTR when they feel like it.

Having a Moan about car drivers doesn't entitle you to break the ROTR at your own discretion, nor negate your responsibilities as a road user. As mentioned all road users are obliged to follow the same rulebook, no exceptions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

Yes selfish, and stupid, and very dangerous.

You don't want to obey the ROTR because it's cold and wet? that's stupid & selfish.

You break red lights/green men at your own discretion? That's dangerous & stupid.

Using your insight it seems clear that the crusty cyclist in question decided not to 'let me go' when the green man was showing. When people such as yourself and the crusty cyclist decide they know better then it endangers everyone else such as myself. As mentioned, the 'i know best' attitude which a lot of road users appear to succumb to, is actually an excuse for bad habits which in turn lead to RTAs.

Want to follow the US ROTR? then **** off to yankland then and cycle there instead.

This thread appears to show a mentality amongst some cyclists that they know better, and that the ROTR don't apply to them. These are the idiot cyclists you mention. Any road user who abides by the ROTR are acting in a sensible manner, those who don't aren't.

I don't give a toss about the abuse you receive (which, seeing as you admit you break the ROTR willy nilly, can hardly be undeserved i suspect), i care about not being knocked down by people who choose, like yourself, to obey the ROTR when they feel like it.

Having a Moan about car drivers doesn't entitle you to break the ROTR at your own discretion, nor negate your responsibilities as a road user. As mentioned all road users are obliged to follow the same rulebook, no exceptions.

My advice: build a ****ing bridge and get over it you moaning biddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I really dislike cycling in Cork.Theres no cycle lanes around the university which is crazy. Pedestrians and motorists come right out in front of you all the time!
    Its pretty poor for a major Irish city.

• Advertisement

My advice: **** off back to the bog you came from if you've nothing to contribute, no girlish emo heads needed in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pbowenroe

rules of the road are for moaning biddies

My advice: **** off back to the bog you came from if you've nothing to contribute, no girlish emo heads needed in this thread.

If I was an emo crusty cyclist from 'the bog' reading this thread I'd be pretty offended by now :P Who exactly do you think is 'needed in this thread'? I have a feeling it is only those who will join in on your rant.

The barrage of insults are just weakening your argument by the way. You had a valid complaint at the start but now it's just silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

I've a good anecdote for those who claim that you can break the ROTR and still stay safe.

I was cycling in the bus lane near college when I came to the pedestrian lights, which were red. I stopped. Then, I realized, I actually needed to cross the road. So, from the middle of the bus lane, I turned my bike right and went to cycle across the pedestrian crossing.

At that point a cyclist who knew he was breaking the ROTR but probably felt it was safe to do so, crashed into me. He was cyling along the bus lane, but didn't stop for the red pedestrian lights, so when I "turned into" a pedestrian and crossed it, he struck me. Thankfully it wasn't too severe.

If I was an emo crusty cyclist from 'the bog' reading this thread I'd be pretty offended by now :P

You're not from Kerry so it doesn't apply to you :).
    Who exactly do you think is 'needed in this thread'? I have a feeling it is only those who will join in on your rant.

All viewpoints are welcome, I got differing insights into UCC cyclists mentality and why they choose to ignore the ROTR, i'm quite surprised at the disregard shown by some posters here. Some are idiotic in their reasoning (See Gubbies input), some are insightful (yours & Eliots) others are just pointless contributions (see Anarcho munks).

All in all if a cyclist does get knocked down round UCC then i'm ultimately going to think they had it coming to them if the reckless attitudes displayed on this thread are anything to go by.
    The barrage of insults are just weakening your argument by the way. You had a valid complaint at the start but now it's just silly.

No the insults aren't weakening my argument as there is no argument to make. If you think the ROTR don't apply to you then you are a silly ****, it's not a point up for debate or discussion.

Fine let's have a moan about how many more pedestrians are almost knocked down from their inability to cross at a decent area on Patricks street, Washington Street and you know almost all streets in Cork where pedestrians believe that the ROTR don't apply to them.

You're right. Of course you're right oh high and mighty poster on the internet. You have changed my mind. I have learned the errors of my ways. My going through a red light on an empty pedestrian crossing with no one on the paths is completely reckless for Usain Bolt could run across my path and if I ran into him then crap then I'd feel really guilty. Sad face. Thank you, you truly are a beacon of hope in this dreary world. I'll look out for you holding your bible and preaching at people on Patricks Street to repent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

I have to agree about pedestrians not following the ROTR around Cork, one of the main reasons I do not like driving in the city. Never really have had any problem with cyclists while driving I must say (besides trying to overtake them safely) but I wish some would get a bicycle bell to ring so that they can let people know when they are cycling behind them on public walkways (like from Main Campus to Enterprise centre and other similar such paths) Would make life easier for both pedestrian and cyclist alike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Tone down the attitude, please.

If you wish to contribute to this thread, be civil to your fellow posters whether you agree or diagree with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

lindtee wrote: »
    I have to agree about pedestrians not following the ROTR around Cork, one of the main reasons I do not like driving in the city. .

I once saw the jaywalking in Cork described as being like "a summers day in Calcutta". They weren't wrong either....

• Advertisement

Fine let's have a moan about how many more pedestrians are almost knocked down from their inability to cross at a decent area on Patricks street, Washington Street and you know almost all streets in Cork where pedestrians believe that the ROTR don't apply to them.

Maybe those pedestrians jaywalk because they don't like being stuck at the lights in the wind and rain? according to yourself that's good enough reason not to abide by the ROTR.
    You're right.....blah blah blah

It's not about being right (though of course i am :)), it's about every road user being obliged to follow the same set of rules. Your whining about pedestrians rings hollow when you admit you only follow the ROTR when it suits you, then you moan about the abuse car drivers give to you? Can you see the foolishness of your position?.

If you'd said to me a week ago that cyclists should be required to sit a basic test in order to cycle on public highways, i would have thought that's nonsense. Now having seeing some frankly frightening, deluded and pig headed opinions from some cyclists on this thread, it's not such a bad idea methinks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement