Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android 2.2 on htc desire

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭kenyard

im on meteor and have my phone updated around a month now i guess...
    maybe you need to register the fact you have a htc desire with them?
    mine is bill with them i bought it instore. im guesing the fact you got it unlocked and then tried updating is the issue.

besides that try the different carriers. stick an o2 sim in it either (since it was an o2 phone) and try the update see what happens. same with other networks.
    i personally didnt notice much difference after updating, so i wouldnt say its a major problem to be honest ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Updates for specific phones are not from network operators. They are from the manufacturer. They work on their own version first, and then on the variances that operators require. O2 brand their version of 2.2 for the Desire. Meteor do not. Hence why Meteor got the update first - not because they are Meteor, but because they used the software the manufacturer put out first, not waiting for a version that says Meteor when you turn on the phone.

As for GPS, can't say I've heard of anyone doing it. Not beyond the realms of possibility but a bit redundant since you can get the country id from the sim card and signal. It's possible they use location software when checking for updates, but I doubt they would use the GPS chip, maybe the network signal/WiFi IP address. Like I said, that's just an opinion. I wouldn't know for sure, but it just seems a bit unwieldy to use the GPS chipset for something so trivial.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Bluefoam wrote: »
    FFS, its worth a try. The 2.1 update on the hero was regional and was supplied directly by HTC - GPS was required to define the region. The first updates are generally sent to the Nordic regions and the main reason for the regional differences is language. Maybe if you bought a phone infected with bloat-ware, you may have a different way of receiving updates.

I cant understand why there is such a big objection to the fact that HTC do use gps when updating phones...

The only Regional updates are for Sim Free phones.

It has nothing to do with GPS or Cell Sites. It is to do with what region the phone was made for. IE What firmware is on it.

HTC have different firmware for Asia, Europe etc

If your phone was supplied by an operator then you have too wait for that operator to release the update.

I

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Anyway, original question was why the update was not coming through from O2 for a particular customer.

The update is currently switched off by O2. Keep an eye on the following thread for further news.

http://community.o2online.ie/t5/HTC/HTC-Desire-Updating-to-Froyo/m-p/172949#M2632

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭scuby

i up-dated my desire on sat night to 2.2, an 02 desire, unlocked... seemed to fix an issue i had with not being able to send mms. was using my VF sim.

• Advertisement
Advertisement