Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android 2.2 on htc desire

Options
  • 09-11-2010 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi folks,

I had a search on the forum and couldnt find an answer to my question.

Basically i'm having problems finding out how to update to 2.2 on my desire. I bought the phone from adverts.ie and it was originally 02 but was unlocked with one of those codes u can get on ebay.

Any ideas how i update. When i go to system software information it says no updates available. I'm definitely not on 2.2 though.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Don't quote me but I got the impression that it wasn't available for the Desire just yet. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

How can it still be on 2.1? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Go to Settings -> About Phone (at bottom) -> System software updates -> Check Now

It will download and install. I think you need around 25Mb free on your internal memory to do the upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 gjtonysoprano17

Bacchus,

I tried this as said above and it says no updates available. Its bugging me now.

Justinoval,

Why the shock, any ideas?

• Advertisement

Justinoval,

Why the shock, any ideas?

The Desire was one of the first to get 2.2 after the Nexus One IIRC.. I thought every carrier had passed it on by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I bought the phone from adverts.ie and it was originally 02 but was unlocked with one of those codes u can get on ebay.

Are you sure the phones unlocked?

Try sticking in a voda simcard and try the updating option then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

I had the same problem myself.

There were actually two problems.

The first was that the update from O2 was not going out to some phones. O2 knew about that and got it fixed in a few days. (I notice from their forum that the update is down again http://community.o2online.ie/t5/HTC/HTC-Desire-Updating-to-Froyo/m-p/162368#M2379)

The second problem was that when the update came out it would not update correctly (Probably due to the unlocking method) My attempts to force the update through just caused the update to brick my phone.

I had to get someone to reinstall the firmware to the phone.

I was told later that if i had left the phone for about 30 min to update (When it looks like it was doing nothing, it would be fine but i cannot confirm)

The phones is unlocked, i'm running a meteor sim card in it at the moment.

Not sure what to do now, i heard the update is a must and the phone runs a lot smoother.

Any other suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭scuby

the 02 up-date was available a few weeks ago but i did not update as i saw a few people having issues. a day or two after that the update was not available again, think 02 removed it... i checked for it again last night and 2.2 is now available again. i have an 02 phone unlocked using a vodafone sim....

not sure if i should go ahead now and up-date, see some people are having wifi issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Make sure you have a good gps signal when searching for the update.,try going outside first.

GPS signal?

Why?

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Make sure you have a good gps signal when searching for the update.,try going outside first.

Why do you say that?

the updates are regional & cant be found without an active gps signal. try it...

JustinOval wrote: »
    Why do you say that?

The GPS signal has nothing to do with the updates.

If it is an O2 phone (Even if it is unlocked) it will get it's update from O2.

Factory Sim Free get their updates from HTC Etc

the updates are regional & cant be found without an active gps signal. try it...

My updates came through with no GPS and on Wifi.

If you are on 2.1 change the date on the phone (plus 30 days at least)

Android 2.1 checks for updates every 30 days i think.

Shane

That's what I thought. The one OTA update I received was indoors almost immediately after booting a fresh 2.1 install, I doubt there was even enough time for a GPS lock.

My updates came through with no GPS and on Wifi.

If you are on 2.1 change the date on the phone (plus 30 days at least)

Android 2.1 checks for updates every 30 days i think.

Shane
    You obviously know better. Don't try it then.

You obviously know better. Don't try it then.

:D

I would test it, but mine has gone back to HTC with a (suspected) borked GPS antenna.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

The phone knows what region it's in from the cell it's connected to. I'm highly dubious the updates are regional but I guess it's possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

My young lads has a HTC Desire on 3. He got the 2.2 update on Thursday or Friday.

Found this it might be a help Manually install Froyo on HTC Desire

humbert wrote: »
    The phone knows what region it's in from the cell it's connected to. I'm highly dubious the updates are regional but I guess it's possible.

SGS updates are regional, HTC updates I'm sure are by operator.

SGS updates are regional, HTC updates I'm sure are by operator.

FFS, its worth a try. The 2.1 update on the hero was regional and was supplied directly by HTC - GPS was required to define the region. The first updates are generally sent to the Nordic regions and the main reason for the regional differences is language. Maybe if you bought a phone infected with bloat-ware, you may have a different way of receiving updates.

I cant understand why there is such a big objection to the fact that HTC do use gps when updating phones...

Well how do you explain Meteor customers getting the 2.2 OTA update ahead of the other networks? I really can't see how your physical location can determine if you're eligible for an update or not.... Maybe in the grand scheme Nordic countries were first but in the SGS case this is determined by product and firmware codes, as the registry hack has shown....

Well how do you explain Meteor customers getting the 2.2 OTA update ahead of the other networks?
    Quite simple, meteor don't add ****e bloatware to their phones. When HTC release an update, meteor customers get it direct from HTC. O2 put all sorts of crap on their phones & need to add that bloatware to HTCs updates. Therefore O2 customers get their updates later than people with standard phones - and O2 have to distribute it.

Quite simple, meteor don't add ****e bloatware to their phones. When HTC release update, meteor customers get it direct from HTC. O2 put all sorts of crap on their phones & need to add that bloatware to HTCs updates. Therefore O2 customers get their updates later than people with standard phones.

Exactly. So where does GPS come into this?

Sorry JustinOval I cannot answer that adequately as personal insults are not allowed on the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

Updating to 2.2 now with 02, just checked under settings> about phone> software updates

It said a new version was available and its downloading as I type.

Will post a update when its complete.

Sorry JustinOval I cannot answer that adequately as personal insults are not allowed on the forum.

:D PM if you like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Dude the updates are from the various network operators and if they add a ton of bloatware it takes longer. GPS has nothing to do getting them and you are the first person on this site or any of the various mobile tech sites to ever mention GPS needing to be on to get a bios update.

Advertisement