Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming Humour

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Xbox throwing love and shade at the same time.

https://twitter.com/Xbox/status/1172178061627932672?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

How is it throwing shade? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

nix wrote: »
    How is it throwing shade? :confused:

Cos last week PS said that it's a cross, not an "Ex" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭steve_r

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,925 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Cos last week PS said that it's a cross, not an "Ex" :D

I'm actually baffled how that is even news as it's been stated as being cross since 1994 by Sony.

Clickbait ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

It's something that will always get clicks, like the pronounciation of gif (the creator himself clarified in 2013...but he can be wrong - hence more articles, comments, and clicks). Think it was PlayStation themselves who brought it up again; a good way of getting free promotion and coverage (even if it's just in a general sense).

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

490495.jpg

🤪

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm actually baffled how that is even news as it's been stated as being cross since 1994 by Sony.

Clickbait ****e.

We all know it's a cross, cos they are shapes, but it's just easier to refer to it as X.

Easier to explain to someone in tight situations.

Quick, hit X!
    Quick, hit cross!

One of those above is going to cause confusion :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,925 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I remember being confused in 1995 when I played one for the first time and wondering why they didn't just use letters like a normal console.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Evade

There is a reason behind the symbols. X cross is no, circle is yes, square is inventory, and triangle is menu.

As for why those particular symbols, O and X are commonly used as yes/no in Japan, the square is suppose to be an item storage box, and the triangle is supposed to be a head so you can change you mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,340 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Evade wrote: »
    There is a reason behind the symbold. X cross is no, circle is yes, square is inventory, and triangle is menu.

As for why those particular symbols, O and X are commonly used as yes/no in Japan, the square is suppose to be an item storage box, and the triangle is supposed to be a head so you can change you mind.

Yeah I think it was the first MGS game where I kept backing in and out of the menu forgetting that unlike most games, O was Yes/Accept and X was No/Back. Always confused me at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Evade

Penn wrote: »
    Yeah I think it was the first MGS game where I kept backing in and out of the menu forgetting that unlike most games, O was Yes/Accept and X was No/Back. Always confused me at the start.
    Final Fantasy VII was like that too.

The circle is often red too which makes it doubly confusing for Europeans where a red circle on a sign usually means no.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

If they wanted it to look like and be called a cross, they shouldnt have made it so much like an X, but then again if they rotated the graphic people would likely call it plus + :D:pac:

There is a reason behind the symbols. X cross is no, circle is yes, square is inventory, and triangle is menu.

Huh. Thanks for that.

I always thought it was just representing the button number:
    1 : Circle
    2 : Cross
    3 : Triangle
    4 : Square

Nintendo says "hello". Everytime I alternate from Switch <-> PS4/Xbox I do the same.

Also, Square is often called Box
    And Circle is often called Oh

But Triangle never gets called Pyramid :D

Final Fantasy VII was like that too.

The circle is often red too which makes it doubly confusing for Europeans where a red circle on a sign usually means no.

Nintendo consoles and every other console before it used the button in the O position as yes and X as no. There's a lot of confusion in early PS1 games before it got standardized as X for accept and O for cancel in most western games. Japanese games took longer to adopt it, but only for the West, they still use the came set up in Japane. MGS was one of the last to adopt it, right up to MGS3 they used the classic Nintendo set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Huh. Thanks for that.

I always thought it was just representing the button number:
    1 : Circle
    2 : Cross
    3 : Triangle
    4 : Square

mindblown.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

If you change your PS4's region to Japan they X and O reverse. So if you press X to log in to your profile as normal it turns off the controller.

Took me ages to figure out it was working as intended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,120 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

7b6ovizyrcn31.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

fb97d16.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

• Registered Users Posts: 12,336 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 12,336 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I don't know much about the quartering, only from i what i read on here so some people might get a kick out of Cory's response. I believe Cory absolutely thinks he's a regular Joe.

https://twitter.com/Charalanahzard/status/1178418569127723008?s=19

https://twitter.com/corybarlog/status/1178426851602993153?s=19

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I don't know much about the quartering

Best to keep it that way.

• Advertisement

I don't know any of these people, and am happier this way

Advertisement