Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festina lente

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

menoscemo wrote: »
    Ohh is this the deciding round of the smack-down with CL? If I wasn't working I'd be out to see that :D

I've been told that we are not racing each other... Who does she think she's fooling ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭steph86

Hi, I'm new to this thread. I began running about 2.5 months ago and ran my first 5km on Friday 28.49.
    Training by myself try 2-3 times a week. Appreciate any tips at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

digger2d2 wrote: »
    I've been told that we are not racing each other... Who does she think she's fooling ;):D

In Fairness, you should be running a low to mid 19, so best just run your own race.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

steph86 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm new to this thread. I began running about 2.5 months ago and ran my first 5km on Friday 28.49.
    Training by myself try 2-3 times a week. Appreciate any tips at all.

Join a local running club, it will improve your training immensely and most clubs are welcoming to new runners
    Gradually extend the distances you run, and the frequency of your runs. Increase by no more than 10% a week, and take one week a month as a recovery week where you do less than usual.
    Do most of your runs at an easy, conversational pace. Only run fast once a week, and don't try to do the whole run fast, do sections of your run at a faster pace with slower recoveries or walking breaks in between.

RayCun wrote: »
    Join a local running club, it will improve your training immensely and most clubs are welcoming to new runners
    Gradually extend the distances you run, and the frequency of your runs. Increase by no more than 10% a week, and take one week a month as a recovery week where you do less than usual.
    Do most of your runs at an easy, conversational pace. Only run fast once a week, and don't try to do the whole run fast, do sections of your run at a faster pace with slower recoveries or walking breaks in between.

Thanks, i found that i run at the same pace or go to fast at the start and struggle to get my breath for a while before i can settle into my run.
    Will do more fast paced running.
    Anyone running in the Sligo Town area??

• Advertisement

great thanks for your help. Training tonight :) Will keep a track on how many miles i'm running a week etc. Hopefully tonight goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Boards running short of space? Merging training logs is just going to get messy.

Mr Slow wrote: »
    I'll be there, if there's a fight to the death I'll try and get it on video, there's 200+ metres on the 'track' to catch it.

I thought you were running?
    Or do you expect to have finished by then?:D

Pacing Limerick marathon the next day :-(

9.73k in 49.46 (5.07 pace)

Schedule is all over the place this week because OH has stuff on. Can't make the club on Thursday so I could planned to coach the kids today and ran home instead of running with the club, but the kids training was called off because of the weather. (Do Kenyan kids stop running because of a bit of rain?!?!:mad:;))

Anyway, easy run along the Dodder. Pretty close to the top of the banks, but no flooding yet...

this month: 1/9.73
    this year: 122/1288.32

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Ray, if I try to log my session from last night will you come and translate it into real good club speak please…. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

menoscemo wrote: »
    Ohh is this the deciding round of the smack-down with CL? If I wasn't working I'd be out to see that :D

We are not racing each other on Saturday!

Re Berlin - yes, Brian - different ball game altogether. I'll be racing to make into the (Men) 10 round numbers table, while Digs huffs and puffs his way into the (Women) 10 round numbers thread... :rolleyes:

9.46k in 48.45 (5.09 pace)

Easy run back into work. Overslept this morning, so was feeling kind of sluggish...

this month: 2/19.19
    this year: 123/1297.78

claralara wrote: »
    Ray, if I try to log my session from last night will you come and translate it into real good club speak please…. ;)

I just translated it into maths... and speaking of maths
    Re Berlin - yes, Brian - different ball game altogether. I'll be racing to make into the (Men) 10 round numbers table

sub-3! You go, girl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

We are not racing each other on Saturday!

Re Berlin - yes, Brian - different ball game altogether. I'll be racing to make into the (Men) 10 round numbers table, while Digs huffs and puffs his way into the (Women) 10 round numbers thread... :rolleyes:

That I can do, it's part of the bet you lost anyway......:D

9.53k in 48.29 (5.05 pace)

Easy run back home. The original plan for today was to do a longer run, starting with a loop around UCD. Yesterday I decided I was a bit low on energy for a longer run, I needed to freshen up my legs with some strides before Saturday's race. This morning I decided strides weren't a great idea either - my hip/thigh is still a bit twingy, and my toe is still sore :rolleyes: (not much, and when walking rather than running, but ffs it's been 2 weeks)
    So in the end I just took it easy. Probably for the best - I wore the new Brooks again today and my calves were complaining, same as they did for the first couple of weeks in the Adrenalines.

this month: 3/28.72
    this year: 124/1307.31

8.9k in 45.52 (5.09 pace)

and yet another easy run, back into work

this month: 4/37.62
    this year: 125/1316.21

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

9.73k in 49.46 (5.07 pace)

Schedule is all over the place this week because OH has stuff on. Can't make the club on Thursday so I could planned to coach the kids today and ran home instead of running with the club, but the kids training was called off because of the weather. (Do Kenyan kids stop running because of a bit of rain?!?!:mad:;))

Anyway, easy run along the Dodder. Pretty close to the top of the banks, but no flooding yet...

this month: 1/9.73
    this year: 122/1288.32

You must of got soaked on Tuesday? I take it you wear a jacket but did you not get too warm?

You must of got soaked on Tuesday? I take it you wear a jacket but did you not get too warm?

No jacket for me, I just get wet :)

HTFU T, tshirt and shorts. I got soaked on Tuesday within a half mile but was dry when I got home :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Yeah tuesday was horrible.
    I started out with a light jacket but took it off because it was just weighing me down. Ended up just embracing the rain, by the end myself and Aimman were just ploughing through foot deep puddles.

BHAA RTE 5 mile 8.03k in 31.20 (3.54 pace)
    (plus a mile and a half warm-up before the race)

Another weekend, another good BHAA race...
    A lovely day for a race over in RTE, sunny but not too warm, no wind to speak of. Warmed up with a jog around the course, met huskerdu, beeduybe, and a few clubmates on the way around. It's a bit of an odd course - 4 and a bit laps, half in the RTE grounds and half on the roads just outside. Very flat, but some tight turns and narrow sections.
    Over 400 runners so the start was quite crowded, especially since we went through one of those corners and tight sections right after the start. It took a few minutes before I could really run, it was just too crowded. First half mile was pretty slow, slower than 6.30s, but pulled it back to a 6.15 first mile.
    There were lots of reports from previous years of the course being short, and it was easy to see why. I'm sure the course was measured accurately, but it would have been measured on the road, and most of the runners I saw spent a lot of time on the path. When you're coming out of RTE, you're on the road, but if you take the corner tight you end up on the path. Even worse than that is a section just after the start - there's a really wide corner on Anglesey Road before you go back into RTE. If you run on the path, as most did, you'd take 3/4 metres off at least on every lap.
    Anyway, I got the first mile down to 6.15 pace, but the average pace reading stuck to that point stubbornly for all of the second mile. I felt like I was running well throughout, but every time I glanced at the watch the pace was the same. I was passing people consistently from the start, I don't think anyone went past me after the first half mile, just not fast enough. (Actually some people did go past me twice - at the corner of Anglesey on the 2nd and 3rd laps when I stuck to the road and they took the path - but that gave me the determination to pass them again almost immediately)
    Mile 3 I started to slip, down to 6.19. My goal in the race was to get under 31, and I think realising that I wasn't going to hit that pace lead to me easing off. It was worse in mile 4, down to 6.25 :eek:. As the last mile started there were three runners in front of me, that had been in front for a while but had held their position as others fell behind - a guy in a yellow top, and Airbus guy, and the 3rd woman (I heard someone shout '4th woman' at someone as i passed them) Airbus guy I recognised from previous races, he'd finished just in front at the K Club and Raheny races. I had no confidence in my ability to take them in a sprint finish, so I started moving up sooner, and pased the two guys by the time we reached Anglesey. This time I cut the corner too, because I was ****ed if I was going to lose back those places because of excessive honesty :pac: 3rd woman stayed stubbornly in front - I closed the gap, but not enough, and she beat me by 4 seconds, the same gap I had on the guys behind. Last mile pace was 6.05 - and was also 20m shorter than the first four.
    Sportsworld next week, for a race that I expect to be exactly 5 miles, with no corner cutting, and want to get under 31...

eta - should point out that the Airbus guy is M55 :)
    72nd overall, 8th M40, standard moves down to 8...

this month: 5/48.07
    this year: 126/1326.66

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Good running Ray, and I know exactly how you feel about that course. I only ran the RTE race once and didn't like all the on/off with the footpaths and the very tight corners. I read some place that it's the most popular on the BHAA calendar but it just doesn't do it for me.

6.43k in 36.01 (5.36 pace)

Recovery run.
    thinking about yesterday's race, I decided that I'll change the display on my Garmin for future races, to show Current Lap Pace, Average Pace, and distance. Average pace is useful for working out where I am compared to my overall goal, but it hides the extent to which I'm slowing down on a bad lap.

this month: 6/54.5
    this year: 127/1333.09

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

Well done yesterday Ray. How confident do you feel about hitting 30:xx next week in Terenure? given the numbers expected, it could be a slow start

antomagoo wrote: »
    Well done yesterday Ray. How confident do you feel about hitting 30:xx next week in Terenure? given the numbers expected, it could be a slow start

Hmmm, I don't know. It was a very slow start yesterday, and I'll probably push closer to the front next week (a lot of the extra numbers next week will be walkers). But the problem yesterday was more in miles 3 and 4 than the start. but the good thing about running 2 races of the same distance a week apart is that you learn a lot from the first that you can apply in the second....
    :confused::confused::confused::confused:
    Better than 50:50, I think. I'll give it a bash anyway.

21.03k in 1.47.25 (5.06 pace)

Longish run up around Tymon, the usual muddy loops of the pitches. Plenty of other people up there taking advantage of the holiday - us runners know how to live :)
    Could have gone for another half an hour comfortably enough, but I had a deadline for getting home. That also meant this turned into a progression run, more or less, about 5.14 pace for the first 10k, about 5.00 for the last 10.

this month: 7/75.53
    this year: 128/1354.12

8.38k in 37.44 (4.30 pace)

Club session - 3 x 1 mile up and down the hills (and about a mile warmup and cooldown)
    First lap 1.55k - 5.49 (3.45)
    Second lap 1.56k - 5.55 (3.49)
    Third lap 1.55k - 6.02 (3.53)

Some of the guys went on for a fourth but, as you can see, I was getting tired and my hip starting to give out, so I called it a day.

this month: 8/83.91
    this year: 129/1362.5

8.81k in 48.00 (5.27 pace)

Recovery run into work

this month: 9/92.72
    this year: 130/1371.31

• Advertisement

7.07k in 38.40 (5.28 pace)

A second run today, into James' to give platelets.

this month: 9/99.79
    this year: 130/1378.38

Advertisement