Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festina lente

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

gerard65 wrote: »
    I went for a jog up to cherryfield this evening and had some guy run after me shouting 'Knocklyon Runners, if you want to join a club'. fair play to him for active recruitment:)

You would want to be careful up that neck of the woods.:D I got hooked as well. Best running decision I ever made. Ray is just one example.

Well done Ray. Another one in the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

gerard65 wrote: »
    Well done on the sub 40. Great run.
    Funny thing this evening. I went for a jog up to cherryfield this evening and had some guy run after me shouting 'Knocklyon Runners, if you want to join a club'. fair play to him for active recruitment:)

:pac: Yep, that'd be Peter, PVincent on here. We had about 40 people out tonight though, don't know if we've any more room ;)

6.71 in 30.36 (4.34 pace)

Club 'session'

Supposed to be 8 x 800, but after 4 a bunch of us, who'd run Sunday and are running again Saturday, said "eh, that's enough for today" and just did a slow jog for a while. Pace was awful anyway, I'd get halfway through each rep before the legs gave up and I felt knackered, so ranged from 3.0x to about 3.30 (for 860-870m).
    Easy runs the next two days, will try some strides on Friday to find out if I'm recovered enough to show meno how this sub-40 thing is done...

this month: 17/186.06
    this year: 108/1138.91

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

RayCun wrote: »
    Easy runs the next two days, will try some strides on Friday to find out if I'm recovered enough to show meno how this sub-40 thing is done...

You'll have to go faster than that to beat me old man :D

menoscemo wrote: »

Not much :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Not much :p

It's on like Donkey Kong!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

When you pass him Ray, start chatting to him. I think he'll love that:D

chinguetti wrote: »
    When you pass him Ray, start chatting to him. I think he'll love that:D

Tell him his footfall sounds heavy and he might want to look into it, then accelerate.:pac:

8.62 in 48.22 (5.36 pace)

Another slow, slow run. Felt a little better than yesterday, but far from fit.

this month: 18/192.72
    this year: 109/1147.53

8.62 in 48.22 (5.36 pace)

Another slow, slow run. Felt a little better than yesterday, but far from fit.

this month: 18/192.72
    this year: 109/1147.53

Sandbagging!:P

I am old, old and crocked, I can't recover as fast as you young fellas...

• Advertisement

8.84 in 47.22 (5.22 pace)

Legs are starting to recover, to the point where I can get out of my chair without calling for the nurse, but I have to give meno some chance so yesterday I had the bright idea of playing football out the back with the kid, in my slippers. All fun and games until someone kicks their foot off the path :( I've got a nice little bruise now between the nail and the joint on my middle toe. The good news is it doesn't hurt at all - except if I put any weight on my toes, by running, for example :rolleyes:

Anyway, easy run home today. Still a bit stiff around the hips, and my calf was tight for a while, but not so bad. Toe is okay most of the time but hills do hurt - good thing Saturday's course is flat...

this month: 19/201.56
    this year: 110/1156.37

Which foot is the sore toe on Ray?

Which foot is the sore toe on Ray?

The right. Could be worse actually - I had some trouble around the base of my toes on the left foot last month so could have really ****ed that foot up...

The right. Could be worse actually - I had some trouble around the base of my toes on the left foot next month so could have really ****ed that foot up...

Thanks Ray. Now I know which foot to stamp on if you try to come past me :p

Thanks Ray. Now I know which foot to stamp on if you try to come past me :p

Jaysus, and with your heavy footfall :eek:

8.71 in 45.15 (5.11 pace)

Annoyingly, it looks like I may end up suffering for my own stupidity.:mad: Why couldn't someone else suffer for it!
    Legs are much better this morning. A bit of stiffness here and there, but I kept finding myself creeping towards 5 min/km pace and reining myself back in, which is a good sign. My toe is still sore though :( It's okay at an easy pace on a flat surface, but I put more weight on it going up- or down-hill, and I don't even want to think what would happen if I tried to sprint. Plus I figure that I'm adjusting my gait to protect it, and I'll pay for that over a longer, harder run.
    So, my planned pace for tomorrow hasn't changed, but I'm less confident that I'll be able to keep it up for the length of the race, and a fast finish is probably out...

this month: 20/210.27
    this year: 111/1165.08

Sneak up behind him with a big rock Ray, then bam, Ray wins ;-)

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Sneak up behind him with a big rock Ray, then bam, Ray wins ;-)

I have the kids trained to take out anyone in a Tallaght singlet.
    Not because of meno, just on general principles. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

just catching up on logs - re your 10K time, wow :eek:

10k in 39.2x

eta - official time 39.23, moving down another standard to 9. 17th M40, 108th overall

I'm too weighed down with food for a proper report:)
    Got down here good and early to register, just as well because by the time dotcomdolly finished her day membership reg the queue was back out the door. Wandered around for a while with the family, my mother was down to look after the kids during the race, and somehow never got around to doing a warmup :rolleyes: Paid for it a bit at the start because my hips were quite tight and the changes in pace because of the crush didn't help. I started too far back and spent most of the first k sorting out a proper position, though to be fair there was plenty of room once we got out of the club and onto the road. Didn't see meno at all for the first k, but spotted his hat ahead shortly after the first k. Kept him in sight more or less from then on, and the gap stayed at about 20 seconds.
    Passed a water station around 4k and got them to throw the water in my face rather than stopping for a cup. I was feeling pretty good on this first lap - not easy by any means, but not too tough either. I wasn't watching my watch too much, but average pace was about 3.55 for the first half. My toe - bound up in cotton wool and bandages - was a bit twingy but no serious trouble. But then, shortly after halfway, my pacemaker dropped out :eek:
    Second half was much the same, except with no-one too chase:rolleyes:. Pace was dropping slightly through ks 5-8 but still on target. pconn062 introduced himself on the way up to the 8k mark, and I gave out to him for not being faster :) but I was getting passed myself by now, so around 8k I pulled myself together and sped up a bit. Last k was a real charge to the finish and a bit of a blur, didn't get a proper sprint with the final hill and wind in my face but still crossed the finish line in 39.2x.

this month: 21/220.27
    this year: 112/1175.08

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Well done Ray, congrats on the PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Larry Brent

Hope you put the house on yourself at 6/1! The bookies will have a right dilemna now in setting odds for the next showdown.

Well done on walking the walk. I'll have to give out to my horse for talking the talk...

Hope you put the house on yourself at 6/1! The bookies will have a right dilemna now in setting odds for the next showdown.

Well done on walking the walk. I'll have to give out to my horse for talking the talk...

You'll find your horse does a lot of talking ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Larry Brent

Mr Slow wrote: »
    You'll find your horse does a lot of talking ;-)

Rest assured he'll walk the walk soon enough.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Savage going Ray, whats next week's PB?

week off next week, then the BHAA RTE race to do some damage to my 5 mile time

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Great running again today Ray - I had the grand plan of using you as a pacer to get me in under 40 minutes but you disappeared at the 4k mark and that was that!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Super time there! Even with some old sot throwing water on you at the 4k mark! ;)

Rest assured he'll walk the walk soon enough.:)

I have no doubts about that, unfortunately though that success will lead to more talk ;):D

• Advertisement

Ray what can I say? You've just moved to the next level, congratulations.

Advertisement