Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Underarm Deodorants

Options
  • 09-11-2010 3:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Hi Ladies,

Can anyone reccomend a good deodorant for me? I am currently using Mitchum but still get sweaty under-arms a lot. Ive tried Sure, Dove, and all the usual supermarket stuff but with poor results. If you know a good one please let me know!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Recent thread here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056078495

as you can see, I'm recommending a type that doesn't stop you sweating, but does mask the smell. It's not good to use antiperspirant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Are you using a spray? I found that they were crap compared to a roll on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

I have never used anti-persp despite being extremely physically active. I always use natural deodorants like Tom's of Maine

I find that showering regularly and using this is more than sufficient. If you think you have a problem with excessive sweating or odour than look into improving your diet and taking wheatgrass supplements which has a cleansing effect on the body and consequently inhibits body odour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

I don't know why, but even Mitchum and the heaviest roll-ons have never worked for me.

I use Sure (aloe scent) spray and it works like a charm and smells gorgeous (at least, I think it does!). I really don't understand why it's the only thing I've found that even remotely works since generally the sprays are crappier.. I tend to get sores from all kinds of roll-ons, too.

Maybe my body is just weird.

Very true about the diet etc Truley, this is another good brand to use, totally natural: http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/aluminum-free_deodorants.htm :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

Thanks so much for the replies, I use roll-on ones. I shower every morning and change my tops and bras every day so hopefully I dont stink! I'll try the natural ones and see how it goes. Thanks so much for your replies I appreciate it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

If you sweat a lot a natural one that isn't an "antiperspirant" will do feck all.

You can get deodorants that contain a higher amount of aluminum chloride (the active ingredient in regular antiperspirants). You put them on at night and wash them off in the morning. Yeah, they'll sting the first few times..but you'll get used to it! After a while, depending on the person, you'll only have to apply it once or twice a week. Examples are Perspirex and Driclor.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

Lia_lia wrote: »
    You can get deodorants that contain a higher amount of aluminum chloride (the active ingredient in regular antiperspirants). You put them on at night and wash them off in the morning. Yeah, they'll sting the first few times..but you'll get used to it! After a while, depending on the person, you'll only have to apply it once or twice a week. Examples are Perspirex and Driclor.

Perspirex is a godsend. First discovered it when I was working in retail and I can honestly say it does exactly what it says on the tin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Red velvet

I use PespireX. Its great. I used to have such a problem with sweating. I followed the instructions at first but now its a few years later and I use it once or twice a month. Althought it smells toxic but my life has changed since I started using it and im alot more confidant about what i wear and not having to worrie about sweat patches and being embarresed.
    Good luck x

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Celebrities get botox injections in their armpits to stop them sweating!

I think I'll stick with deodorant :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Kablamo! wrote: »
    Perspirex is a godsend. First discovered it when I was working in retail and I can honestly say it does exactly what it says on the tin.

I've been convinced, I'll give this a go

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

If you sweat a lot a natural one that isn't an "antiperspirant" will do feck all.

Driclor is great but a word of warning....do NOT attempt to apply it the same day as any type of underarm hair removal. Oh the horror :eek:

It's all well and good to have the convenience of not sweating but it's not good to be applying things that stop a natural process and if it's excessive, you could just be covering up and hiding symptoms (sweating) of a bigger problem that needs attention elsewhere.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

cormie wrote: »
    It's all well and good to have the convenience of not sweating but it's not good to be applying things that stop a natural process and if it's excessive, you could just be covering up and hiding symptoms (sweating) of a bigger problem that needs attention elsewhere.

Sitting in a hot office with my elbows mostly by my sides from typing, or hurrying across town are my only problems!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

I use Driclor - found in chemists!

Use it maybe once a week and never ever sweat! Use deodorant every day but don't need it!! Swear by this stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

i thought aluminum chloride is meant to give you Breast Cancer?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

If I remember correctly, those news reports were all based on a study of 17 women. That is nowhere near a big enough sample size to draw any scientifically valid conclusions. However, it makes a darn good news story, especially in sections of the press that aren't known for their scientific rigour.

cormie wrote: »

Yeah but hyperhydrosis is the medical term for excessive sweating. Which is a condition that needs to be treated. The treatment options are: using the deodorants that I mentioned, botox, or an operation to remove sweat glands. Other treatments are also available.. So all this natural body process talk means nothing when you have to change your t-shirt 6 times a day due to sweating so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

Without trying to sound like a cnut, is there anything out there these days that won't give you some sort of cancer?

Yeah but hyperhydrosis is the medical term for excessive sweating. Which is a condition that needs to be treated. The treatment options are: using the deodorants that I mentioned, botox, or an operation to remove sweat glands. Other treatments are also available.. So all this natural body process talk means nothing when you have to change your t-shirt 6 times a day due to sweating so much!

I wouldn't know much about the condition myself, but as with any condition there are often alternative ways to treat the symptoms, from doing a quick Google it seems that altering diet can help aswell as other natural options. Again, my emphasis would be on analysing as to why you may have this, or any condition in the first place and try cure it from the inside out rather than simply going for one of the suggested cures that simply remove this condition without getting to what may have caused it in the first place :)

• Advertisement

But (in most cases) it's a standalone condition. Not a symptom of something bigger. And not something that can be treated by changing your diet! I have discussed this with many doctors. And if something (ie -stronger deodorants) work as a treatment..then why not?!

As I said, I'm not familiar with this condition, but many conditions are a result of an imbalance in the body and can be improved upon. Obviously applying something like Driclor is the most convenient solution instead of trying to find that balance, improving diet, finding what's lacking or excessive in your diet etc, but I'm personally just more in favour of finding natural solutions. Also, anything put on skin will be absorbed into the body somewhat so I'd be a bit apprehensive about that too. Again, that's just personal opinion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

I find this Garnier Minerals deodorant very very good, and it smells really nice too.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_K-Xz3c9hTQc/TAPaHExdGjI/AAAAAAAACQk/9C0MdfhioVM/s1600/garnier+mineral+deodorants.jpg
    http://www.pakswholesale.com/images/content/productimgLarge/GarnierMineral.jpg

Heres a description of it's ingredients and the different types they sell:
    Description
    Garnier Mineral Deodorant contains mineralite a natural mineral ingredient that locks in four times its volume in water. Mineralite is also five times more absorbent than talc, is dry and soft to touch and acts a second layer of protection to naturally absorb and evaporate excess moisture for up to 48 hours. Formula allows the skin to breathe while fighting humidity and odour. Free from alcohol and parabens and is also dermatologically tested. Available in six variants in sprays and roll-ons:

Invisible Anti-White Marks – protects without leaving white marks on skin and clothing.

Ultra-Dry – Provides intense effectiveness and is designed for 48 hour protection under conditions such as heat and stress.

Extra Care – Depilated Skin, cares for sensitive skin with bisabolol and allantoin to soothe and protect.

Sensitive – designed and tested for sensitive skin.

Fresh – provides an intense sensation of freshness with an energizing feel.

Silky – enriched with smoothing mother-of-pearl to even skin tone irregularities and imperfections due to shaving.

Source: http://www.pulsepharmacy.com.au/Product/Garnier-Mineral-Deodorant-Roll-On-50ml-Extra-Care.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭LadyW

+1 on the Garnier Minerals (and I am a very sweaty betty :o )

• Registered Users Posts: 15 june77

I tried so many different types, then went for the crystal, then tom's of maine- nothing seemed to work. A couple of years ago i thought i would try something out of lush and it worked a treat. i think it's called Teo. I'm not stinky and sweaty any more!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Just wondering if anyone knows any with no scent?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭sudzs

Mitchum roll on- the pink one, I think loads of deo's stink, but this one is ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Oh? Pink mictchum?! Sounds lovely! I use the light green one (I call it bitchum because it's for girls!!) , and my boyfriend uses the dark one!

I think it's great and it takes AGES to use good usage for 3e!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Pat81

I use Mum Unperfumed Roll-on Deodorant, cheap and effective

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Pat81

I use Mum Sensitive Care Unperfumed Deodorant, cheap and effective

Advertisement