Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

deodrant

Options
  • 03-11-2010 2:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

Could someone here recommend a good non chemical deodorant and/or antiperspirant? both roll on and spray?

I got one before from iherb and it was good but i found i had to use 2 or 3 times a day> or is that the norm for these types of deodorant?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

We're meant to sweat and it's not good to use antiperspirant. Crystal salt rock is pretty good, you'll still sweat, but it neutralises any smell and it lasts for AGES. I've had mine I think more than 2 years at this stage and use it every day! Body odour can also depend on your diet, if you have to get rid of a lot of toxins your body odour will smell worse than if you kept a healthier, more natural diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

cormie wrote: »
    We're meant to sweat and it's not good to use antiperspirant. Crystal salt rock is pretty good, you'll still sweat, but it neutralises any smell and it lasts for AGES. I've had mine I think more than 2 years at this stage and use it every day! Body odour can also depend on your diet, if you have to get rid of a lot of toxins your body odour will smell worse than if you kept a healthier, more natural diet.

Have you a link?

this is the stufff i used before
    http://www.iherb.com/Thai-Deodorant-Stone-Unscented-Deodorant-Stone-4-25-oz/5804?at=0

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

The crystal rock is available in lots of different brands, most chemists have it now. Try combing it with a baby wipe after sweating, and you should be stink free all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Baking soda will absorb smells. You can put it on sort of like talc. I wonder if gymnastic chalk would work, you put it on hands to prevent sweating.

I expect the baking soda would get tacky or pasty. That salt sounds interesting, I heard of them and thought they did stop you sweating, but if it just neutralises it then I might try it.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Milk of magnesia (magnesium oxide) does a very good job I hear, haven't tried it myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Muffin top

Weleda have a few different deodorants that work well; citrus, wild rose.

The salt definitely doesn't stop you sweating. The brand I have is Crystal Spring (not Crystal Swing ;)). It's fragrance free, doesn't clog pores, doesn't contain petroleum or anything like that. You will sweat as you're meant to but you won't be stinking up the place :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Lol I spent YEARS trying to find the perfect non-nasty deodorant and never managed to find an adequate substitute. Baking soda is one of the best solutions, my sister uses a large make up brush to apply it, you can add a few drops of essential oils like lemon, lime, bergamot, cinnamon etc too if you keep it in an air tight container. There are lots of good recipes for home made deodrants online too. I have to say I found the crystal the worked the least well of almost any I tried and I'm not a fan of the weleda one either although their creams are lovely. Although I am a girl and maybe expect different things from a deodorant. There's a good one in health food shops by Avalon organic botanicals, think the scent was lavender. Dr Hauskha is also good if you can afford it. I gave up in the end and went back to proper anti-perspirants, I hate the self conscious feeling I get from being sweaty.

Edit: Just rememberd the very best one I found was in lush, they have a few in block form made basically from baking soda with cocoa or shea butter and essential oils that are really excellent. you just rub em under your pits, worked really well and smelled amazing.

When you say the crystal worked the least well, in what way? I've put a drop or two of tea-tree on it wet before using it to add a bit of scent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

I just didn't find it neutralized the odour at all, I had to change my tops every single day when I was using it which is a pain in the balls laundry wise. I suspect these things are a bit individual though, depending on each persons own sweat chemistry, for lack of a better term :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement