Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nocturnal Icons

Options
  • 08-11-2010 1:11pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭

There are those figures who truly represent what it means to be Nocturnal(however you choose to define said term). Here we shall pay them their proper homage no matter the source.

1. Dracula
    dracula.gif
    Whether you speak of the historical inspiration(Vlad Tepes), the literary creation of Bram Stoker or any of his many other incarnations(pic is from one of many appearances in video games) Dracula is a figure who chooses his own path through life and follows it through no matter the consequences. So raise a glass to this Nocturnal Icon.

Post as many different Icons as you'd like herein. I certainly don't want everyone to stop at just one

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

There are those figures who truly represent what it means to be Nocturnal(however you choose to define said term). Here we shall pay them their proper homage no matter the source.

1. Dracula
    dracula.gif
    Whether you speak of the historical inspiration(Vlad Tepes), the literary creation of Bram Stoker or any of his many other incarnations(pic is from one of many appearances in video games) Dracula is a figure who chooses his own path through life and follows it through no matter the consequences. So raise a glass to this Nocturnal Icon.

You mightn't realise this yourself CW but Dracula should have a special place in the heart of the Irish as well as Bram Stoker grew up about 15 minutes away from where I did. There was an entire movement of gothic Irish writers which never really get publicised. I think this is an awful shame. I've heard alot of people argue that Dracula represents a freed part of Stokers repressed mind.

To Drac :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

I knew Stoker was Irish.

I knew Stoker was Irish.

That was some bad writing on my part, I meant more you mightn't be aware of the fact that no one here seems to be particularly proud of the fact that Dracula is, in effect, Irish :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

I see. Well, so is Angel

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I wonder what is it in particular that has set Dracula as the "default" for Vampire in people's minds? He was hardly the first vampire story, maybe the first "pop culture" one.

• Advertisement

I see. Well, so is Angel

And Cassidy.

I think it's a bit of a nod to the big man himself to make cool vampires Irish.

Kharn wrote: »
    I wonder what is it in particular that has set Dracula as the "default" for Vampire in people's minds? He was hardly the first vampire story, maybe the first "pop culture" one.

Was he the first "suave" one?

Was he the first "suave" one?
    Polidori, "The Vampyre" published 1819 featured the very refined Lord Ruthven.
    Le Fanu's "Carmilla" published 1872 featured the vampiress Carmilla who favored female victims. Then in between them both was the very unrefined Varney the Vampire published between 1845-47 in serial form as a penny dreadful. Dracula just beat them all to the movies as the suave vampire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

Dracula is a great book! I love it, the different perspectives the form of writing as letters and journals instead of straight narrative. I haven't read the books mentioned above, so I can't compare Stoker's Dracula to previous vampires. And it's hard to say what will catch the imagination of the public. There have been loads of teeny-bopper books about sexy teenage vampires, but why did Twilight become successful. (No, seriously, why?)It might just a case of dumb luck why we all think about Dracula and not Lord Ruthven. I'm sure the more educated Noccy could tell us lots of theories as to why Dracula dominates. :)

My Nocturnal Icon is:

cthulhu_800.jpgCthulhu! He has tentacles galore and he will eat your soul and your face. Worship him at your peril, the best you can hope for is to be consumed last when He awakens! You'll be insane long before then, so don't worry too much about it.
    Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fthagn! Ph'nglui mglw'nfah Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

He has a grip on popular culture, there are many variations on Cthulhu and related mythos. All of us have read or attempted to read the works of Lovecraft at some point.
    I'll even confess to playing stupid amounts of Call of Cthulhu CCG in college. :)

Bruce Campbell
    bruce.jpg

The man is legend. He has given so much to the world and recieved so little credit in return. Star of The Evil Dead trilogy, from which videogames and comics have been spawned. Bruce Campbell we salute you as a Nocturnal Icon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

At the last Gaelcon I was involved in a Call of Cthulhu RPG set in Ponty Pandy with Fireman Sam and the gang trying to stop an ancient fire god from being resurrected. Queue much hilarity and terrible Welsh accents all round, with me (as the chief) hanging onto the top of the fire truck with a hose as it sped towards the site of the crack in reality hosing off fire vampires whilst having flashbacks to being in the war. I was joint winner of that game and ended up earning myself a Call of Cthulhu source book so that some day I may write my own wacky scenario ;)

It's one of those mythos' that is so rich with detail and terror and has been so well written by Lovecraft (and subsequent folks) that it gets right at the core of the terrified child that hides behind the couch when something scarry comes on telly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Kharn wrote: »

Dracula is a pop culture icon, everyone is aware of the character as he has appeared in various media, ranging from comics to TV to film. Dracula is an interesting one because at this stage he has been overused, yet weirdly enough no-one has made a faithful adaptation of the book. Funnily enough, even though people bitch about it, Coppola's Dracula has been the most faithful to date chronogically speaking and even in terms of characterisation in regards to alot of characters such as Seward, Quincey and Holmwood. But of course, the film has its drawbacks in regards to the portrayal of other characters, not to mention the artistic licence Coppola took in regards to certain aspects of the story.

I'd love to see one film where Holmwood, Seward, Quincey and Harker are portrayed as the true heroes that they are, and one where Dracula is a devious ugly bastard rather than some suave tall dark and handsome individual. But I suppose my vision wouldn't sell many tickets. :pac:

Anyway, I'll have to think about my own Nocturnal Icon. ;)

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Anyway, I'll have to think about my own Nocturnal Icon. ;)
    The man from Gotham?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

for my icon I'm going music. was gonna say Rammstein but I'll pick Peter Steele from type o negative because he sadly passed away :(

he was amazing, and nobody sounds like him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

He was Soooooooooo NYOMMY on soo many levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Thaedydal wrote: »
    He was Soooooooooo NYOMMY on soo many levels.

I don't get the attraction, but he make really wonderful music and just nobody sounds at all like him.

Batman

3d9bd548.jpg

The Bat was synonymous with my childhood. I collected everything right down to those Batman 89 candy sticks (as well as the chewing gum that could break your jaw :P). He never lost a fight with another action figure, I don't care if you were Optimus Prime or He-Man, the Bat kicked your ass. ;)

I'd say Batman 89 and Batman Returns are my most watched films like since forever.

I went through a few years of kind of forgetting about Batman simply because he wasn't appearing in any media (and because it wasn't "cool" to read comics at the time). There was an 8 year gap between Batman & Robin and Batman Begins. As far as I'm aware there was no animated show featuring Batman for years, well at least nothing worth noting that could stand up to the quality of the 90s tv show and to a lesser extent, Batman Beyond.

But in 2005 Batman caught my attention again. I followed every single bit of news that came out about Batman Begins. It was an excellent film (better than TDK for me but I suppose that's just the fanboy in me talking). It was a film that reignited my passion for the character and my top shelf quickly became full of graphic novels. The one that holds a special place though is Tower of Babel, not because there was anything special about the story or art or anything. Rather, it was simply because the fanboy in me revelled at the idea of Batman being top dog. ;)

A true nocturnal icon for me.

You forgot his multiple appearances in videogames as well there LZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

I have to +1 to Dracula! I have to admit alot of confidence that people tend to tell me i have comes from when i was a kid, forced to do speech and drama (don't judge me), i had to do a monologue, and i did a piece from Bram Stokers Dracula....the whole "don't give a f*ck about anyone,i'm a slick mo fo" attitude is always something that i aspired to have....I'm not there yet but i'm working on it! :pac:

Gary Gygax
    gary_gygax_01.jpg
    The father of role-playing games himself. How many hours have we all spent either on table-top games or in front of a screen playing one of his creations or something inspired by him. Rest in peace good sir.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Links234 wrote: »
    I don't get the attraction, but he make really wonderful music and just nobody sounds at all like him.

It's the voice, attitude, intelligence, the eyes the arse and the hair....

Out of interest cyber what's the story behind that image? Is from a game/comic or something else? It's quality. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

George A. Romero - The 'Grandfather of the Zombie [genre]'

night-of-the-living-dead-dvd-front-cover.jpg

Yes, yes, I know we don't approve of zombies in this forum but surely a man who has gone to such great lengths to educate us about the zombie apocalypse and how to survive it deserves a bit of recognition from us? He brought us one of the most celebrated horror films of all time, 'Night of the Living Dead' and the zombie trilogy, 'Dawn of the Dead', 'Day of the Dead' & 'Land of the Dead.'

His films explore the destruction of modern society by the undead and manage to be full of gore and social commentary all at once. :cool:

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Out of interest cyber what's the story behind that image? Is from a game/comic or something else? It's quality. :)
    Comes from one of the later Castlevania games

• Registered Users Posts: 10,973 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Anime time! >_<

Kaname from Vampire Knight = OM NOM <3

Kuran-Kaname-vampire-knight-2812098-1024-768.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Tarantula_1955.jpg

Not only because it's about a giant spider killing people but because a certain unknown ''Clint Eastwood'' was in it. :cool:

Optimus rocks so much. So very much.

Also, he can carry off a fez <<<

• Advertisement

Oh I dunno, he's no Jesus........

:pac:

Advertisement