Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People you like to look down on

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

Irish people who support Premier League football teams.
    Height of sadness to care whether a team from a city you have no connection with does the business of a Saturday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭estadio

mossyc123 wrote: »
    Height of sadness to care whether a team from a city you have no connection with does the business of a Saturday afternoon.
    First of all many Irish legends have played for British teams so the "connection" bit is wrong.
    Secondly many people do have some sort of connections with the club they support. Its better than watching the X factor or whatever non Irish television you watch.

As for me i like to look down on any one is less than 6'1 and hot.

estadio wrote: »
    First of all many Irish legends have played for British teams so the "connection" bit is wrong.
    Secondly many people do have some sort of connections with the club they support. Its better than watching the X factor or whatever non Irish television you watch.

Ah Jaysus, i'd never watch the x-factor!. Don't get me wrong am watchin MoTD 2 right now have loads of time for the EPL...serious entertainment and that... just don't see how anyone over the age of 20 from Ireland could actually care as much as the lads across the water do. It's just a bit odd to see lads in the boozer and describing there team as "we" it's just glory hunting I think and fairly sad! Not an anti-English thing, wouldn't think much of a Cockney supporting United or Pool over there local side either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

That attitude never fails to amaze me. Most people support English teams because they saw them on TV when they were kids... it's also an excellent league & has always had world class players in it.

It would be more ridiculous of people to stop supporting the clubs they grew up watching simply because of some idiotic & backwards nationalist political mentality.

That attitude never fails to amaze me. Most people support English teams because they saw them on TV when they were kids... it's also an excellent league & has always had world class players in it.

It would be more ridiculous of people to stop supporting the clubs they grew up watching simply because of some idiotic & backwards nationalist political mentality.

Not that of an amazing attitude to have in fairness. Seeing something on TV couldn't possibly engender the same passion as being there in the flesh and seeing your team on a regular basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I dont like to look down on anyone anytime I did I realized I must be feeling pretty down myself!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Are you from ireland?

Why would anyone look down on anyone? Not pathetic, just confusing:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Really? I guess i cant help it really-according to someone i live to next door-all the other families in the street are bitching behind her back...calling her a 'hoar' etc and just plain blanking her when they see her outside. Seems to explain why she's alone all the time.

That, and people like you sitting in judgement and enjoying looking down on her. I don't understand how you can get any enjoyment out of that. What a horrible situation.

I don't get to look down on anyone. I'm 5 foot nothing.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

You don't raise yourself up by bringing others down.

/does not apply to keyboard warriors on After Hours/

Not that of an amazing attitude to have in fairness. Seeing something on TV couldn't possibly engender the same passion as being there in the flesh and seeing your team on a regular basis.

In one post it's about supporting English teams. In another, it's about proximity.

Make up your mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

i don't look down on anyone, it is not nice being on the other side.

But recently we went on holidays and met a couple there, they were really snobby, he introduced him self as "Hi! I'm Paulo, I'm a professor" and it just went on from there.

So after a while he asked me what did i do for a living, well my company closed down but i did tell him that, i just said" i don't need to work, holidaying is my job".

The look on their faces was priceless. ;)

In one post it's about supporting English teams. In another, it's about proximity.

Make up your mind.

I have. Just doesn't make sense to me caring about a team from a place you have no connection with. Supporting some crowd cause you saw them on TV as a kid is something I just grew out of and don't really understand how anyone over school going age still does. It's great entertainment the Premier League and a great conversation starter. I also think English league football is class, 100+ full time professional teams, great history, tradition and rivalry... just find it baffling when people from Ireland try to bask in its reflected glory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭BillShorey

The only people I really look down on are the scumbags who sit at the LUAS stops in the city centre and hassle women/children/the elderly for the change from their ticket purchases by standing right beside them as the money is dropping into the tray. Absolutely indefensible. There's a right way to go about getting help and there's scumbag tactics and this falls into the latter. It also gives genuine homeless people a really bad name/image, despite the fact it's generally the young junkie scum doing the intimidating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 erogonamalu

I remember some drunk weirdo getring lots of abuse from a group of teens it was pretry hilarious for them until the weirdo snapped and kind of went for them and the kids ran off in a fit of laughter with the buzz of fear its coming for us!!leggit! some buzz! ouch like a caged animal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Well it appears a lot of AH posters look down on religious people, Christians and more specifically Catholics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Yo dawg, I like to look down on people who look down on other people so I look down on myself while the toast toast toasts toast

I have. Just doesn't make sense to me caring about a team from a place you have no connection with. Supporting some crowd cause you saw them on TV as a kid is something I just grew out of and don't really understand how anyone over school going age still does. It's great entertainment the Premier League and a great conversation starter. I also think English league football is class, 100+ full time professional teams, great history, tradition and rivalry... just find it baffling when people from Ireland try to bask in its reflected glory.

People have their passions and hobbies & surely that cannot be a bad thing.

The sad thing about your attitude is that it's the type of attitude that is only ever brought up about Irish people supporting English football teams. And it's brought up consistently. Loads of Irish people follow American football & baseball teams, foreign Formula 1 & rally drivers, foreign golf & tennis players etc etc. No-one ever asks them why they support foreign teams or individuals.

Your suggestion that people should grow out of supporting English teams is just sad. You may have grown out of it yourself, but looking down on people who like English football doesn't make you any more grown up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 a new story

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Girls with low cut tops
    hahaha nice

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Well it appears a lot of AH posters look down on religious people, Christians and more specifically Catholics.
    I look down on priests, who look down on everyone else.

Ush1 wrote: »

There are a lot of really sound & down to earth priests, probably more of them than of the other type. You really can't judge everybody by the standards of a few, no matter what walk of life they come from.

Except bankers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Ush1 wrote: »

If priests look down on everyone else, and you look down on priests, then they look down on you looking down on them.... and who's looking up?

This paradox is making my head hurt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

People have their passions and hobbies & surely that cannot be a bad thing.

The sad thing about your attitude is that it's the type of attitude that is only ever brought up about Irish people supporting English football teams. And it's brought up consistently. Loads of Irish people follow American football & baseball teams, foreign Formula 1 & rally drivers, foreign golf & tennis players etc etc. No-one ever asks them why they support foreign teams or individuals.

Your suggestion that people should grow out of supporting English teams is just sad. You may have grown out of it yourself, but looking down on people who like English football doesn't make you any more grown up.

Rarely is the support for these sports as ferverent as it is for the EPL. You'll also find that these sports really aren't played here. Soccer is however.

What annoys me is that these people think they're "fans" of a "club" when that couldn't be further from the truth. They're customers of a business.

On that note I see Liverpool Ltd. won their game this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Nolanger wrote: »
    Knew a guy who finished school and got a job in a famous Irish factory. Still remember the stupid smirk on his face when he told me. It closed down last year and he'll probably never work again.
    I've read and re-read and re-read and I still can't find what he's done that's so deserving of punishment... could you enlighten?
    I guess i cant help it really-according to someone i live to next door-all the other families in the street are bitching behind her back...calling her a 'hoar' etc and just plain blanking her when they see her outside. Seems to explain why she's alone all the time.
    You dislike her because of what the neighbours say?

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Scoobydoobydoo

all the other families in the street are bitching behind her back...calling her a 'hoar' etc and just plain blanking her when they see her outside. Seems to explain why she's alone all the time.

Sounds like an awful place to live, the poor woman. Maybe she made a mistake many years ago, but her neighbours don't have the right to judge her for the rest of her life - they sound like horrible people. I'm not saying what she did was right, but you don't know her personal circumstances and she might be a good person apart from that, and I'm sure she must have suffered enough already for her sins. I would hate to live in a place like that, where people are so mean and bitchy like you and your neighbours seem to be.

I look down on nasty little people who speak unkindly about their neighbours for no good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

i look down on eminem's shoes, cos otherwise it'd just hurt my neck as im bowing to him

Rarely is the support for these sports as ferverent as it is for the EPL. You'll also find that these sports really aren't played here. Soccer is however.

What annoys me is that these people think they're "fans" of a "club" when that couldn't be further from the truth. They're customers of a business.

On that note I see Liverpool Ltd. won their game this weekend.

You could say that fans of anything from films to video games to literature or art are all just customers. It might make you feel a bit superior in some way, but it won't detract from their passion, so ultimately, it is a fairly futile & pointless exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

eh this is AH no?

Why is AH so pc now?
    You joined a week ago.
    You have just told everyone here that you're a re-reg.
    Trust me when I say that the lurker excuse does not wash.

The reason you were banned in the first place was most likely because you posted something extremely racist. The same rules that got you banned in the first place still apply.

estadio wrote: »

So I have to support, let's say Man U over Spartak Dynamo, because Roy Keane played for Man U?

Also, I'm 6' 2", so I'm looking down on you because I'm taller and more handsome than you.

Also, Man U suck. lol @ der munny ting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 irishsaintme

I know this one person in blackrock. Shes one of those annoying middle aged women types-think of those women who always ask questions in shops. Anyway she had a affair with a married man many years ago resulting in a bastard child which she kept. Nows shes about to turn 61 and sad because she has no friends-more than likely due to the affair. The only person who really visits her is her mother. I can only hope when i turn 60 my life doesent end up like this :D

Anyone else have stories of shadenfreunde to cheer me up? its absolutely lashing outside now.

Well the way I see it she ruined someone else's marraige for her own selfish desires. I mean the guy who she stole already had his own wife and four kids. From what I hear they had to grow up without a father because of that bitch. Not to mention that 'illegitimate' child of hers who funnily enough moved to canada 8 years ago and dosent speak to her mother anymore.

So yeah i do look down on her-anyone's whose parents got divorced because of 'some other woman' will know exactly how i feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Well the way I see it she ruined someone else's marraige for her own selfish desires. I mean the guy who she stole already had his own wife and four kids. From what I hear they had to grow up without a father because of that bitch. Not to mention that 'illegitimate' child of hers who funnily enough moved to canada 8 years ago and dosent speak to her mother anymore.

So yeah i do look down on her-anyone's whose parents got divorced because of 'some other woman' will know exactly how i feel.
    How is a child illegitimate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

I know this one person in blackrock. Shes one of those annoying middle aged women types-think of those women who always ask questions in shops. Anyway she had a affair with a married man many years ago resulting in a bastard child which she kept. Nows shes about to turn 61 and sad because she has no friends-more than likely due to the affair. The only person who really visits her is her mother. I can only hope when i turn 60 my life doesent end up like this :D

Anyone else have stories of shadenfreunde to cheer me up? its absolutely lashing outside now.

Schadenfreude is not wifully causing someone harm or pain, but sometimes if we see someone experiencing discomfort or embarrasment, then we will derive some kind of pleasure from this. It is consequently quite a human emotion but one of which we should not really be proud.

Good troll OP!

This one has it all, the priests the scumbags the bankers, and the footie.

You can look down on me now for closing your thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement