Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming your parents..

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

When you find yourself singing along to one of your mothers fav tunes ie '' in an irish country home,one evening all alone , said an old man to his litte daughter nell ''

Noooooooooooo :eek:

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭d.anthony

When you own a stick for stiring paint, You have become your father

Can't believe it took 'til the 25th post for someone to say that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

a few months ago i was driving along and was overtaken dangerously by two young lads... i tutted self-righteously and said out loud (even though i was alone in the car) "is it any wonder they're killed on the roads".... scarily reminiscent of my father!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭Boxoffrogs

marxcoo wrote: »
    I thought people (mammys) always flirted with the butcher. no?

I don't but that's probably because I look a little like the butcher my Mam used to flirt with, weird that!

The only thing I have in common with my mother is that instead of calling someone by their correct name first time, I have to go through all the names in the family before I arrive at the right one

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Bog

I'm finding myself closing opened doors all the time.

The internal debate on when to switch on the heating reached a worrying three weeks this year.

I have no idea what is in the charts at the moment.

Whatever is in the charts just sounds like noise. Music was music back in the day.

I actually own and regularly make use of a pair of slippers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

When I say "I'll give you something to cry for in a minute" to a winging child, the circle will be complete.

I also shake my head censoriously when I see young lads in skinny jeans which definitely counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

The old man was an alcoholic, so I'm 10% the man he was.
    The other 90% of him was a really good person. People sought out his company in the local pubs. 8 years after his death and I still have people I've never met come up and tell me how much they admired him, tell me stories about how he helped them, how he inspired them, how much they loved him and so on.

I hope I never take on those traits. I really ****ing hate people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

When I see young ones wearing skinny jeans (drainpipes) I sigh...

When I see young teens wearing harem pants (MC Hammer pants) I sigh...

Yes, I've officially turned into my mother :rolleyes:

I remember her laughing at me heading out on the tear wearing my bestest white hammer pants...

Oh how she laughed...

At the time I thought she was just jealous...

Now I laugh too... :D

Do you mean when you, like, go back in time and have sex with your mother, thus becoming your own father?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

I think I may be turning into my father, and I'm a female:o.

A few weeks ago I found myself on a Sunday morning up early, showered and all ready to go out and mow the lawn at 9am. I didn't want to wake the neighbours so managed to restrain myself until 11am before saying to myself "fuck the neighbours, it's a lovely day, they shouldn't be wasting it in bed" and went out and cut the grass. God be with the days when I'd only be going to bed at 9am on a Sunday morning, not getting up!!

PS - I have a stick for stirring paint and I'v also started telling my daughter 'ssshh' when Nationwide is on:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

I occasionally start conversations with shopkeepers or people at bus stop with: "terrible weather isn't it"-then wonder why the hell am I pointing out the obvious?!

I find myself using mum sounding things like
    "it's a bloody disgrace that's what it is!",-something about the news usually

or "you can't beat the food you cook at home-them chippies are a waste of money" -even though I often eat from and enjoy the chippers.
    also--"you can't beat a pot of spuds":o

or "he wouldn't know his arse from his elbow that fella"

or as (I think) somebody else mentioned "there's great drying out"

Also much more likely to look for value for money, but I think that just started when I first moved out on my own and not necessary from mum.

I'm only 23, it can only get worse from here.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

foxinsox wrote: »

When I see young teens wearing harem pants (MC Hammer pants) I sigh...
    Are your thighs too big to fit into them:pac:

I think Abe Simpson said it best:
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't it, and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me

Advertisement