Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black & Tans painting in the Pharmacy Building

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭JohnyDarko

grenache wrote: »
    Nope. I just don't see how putting up a bunch of thugs on a university wall is appropriate.

Couldn't you say that about any painting depicting soldiers, police or even some people? How do you know that wasn't the one guy who was a perfect gentleman to all? Or the artists wish of what it should have been like: peaceful.
    You misunderstand the basis of my complaint. I'm asking UCC to take it down, not erase our history. I can't change our history, i wouldn't want to; its made us who we are.

Thats not what you posted, you believed its mere existence on any wall in Ireland would be a disgrace, which is very small minded indeed. Its just a painting of a man.

If it was more like this then I might be inclined to agree with ya, but its not, and you're making a mountain out of a molehill.
    Untitled-8.jpg?t=1289781509

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

JohnyDarko wrote: »
    Couldn't you say that about any painting depicting soldiers, police or even some people? How do you know that wasn't the one guy who was a perfect gentleman to all? Or the artists wish of what it should have been like: peaceful.

Thats not what you posted, you believed its mere existence on any wall in Ireland would be a disgrace, which is very small minded indeed. Its just a painting of a man.

If it was more like this then I might be inclined to agree with ya, but its not, and you're making a mountain out of a molehill.
    Untitled-8.jpg?t=1289781509
    But i and several others on here find it offensive, so it clearly is not a molehill. Its about having respect for our ancestors. You know those people who fought for our freedom? 'Respect' - something the men in the painting didn't have.

You seriously think i'm small minded for complaining about a painting depicting a bunch of thugs smiling? If that's your definition of "small-minded" then you're hardly worth debating with.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

grenache wrote: »
    I have a major objection with this piece of "art" being given space in an Irish university. Let us not forget that this group of thugs/criminals raped and plundered the country less than 100 years ago. They shot my own grandfather in the leg for the heinous crime of refusing to answer a question. Yet there they are in all their glory, on the wall to the right just inside the main door, smiling and laughing and immortalised forever by an over-accommodating University College Cork. :mad:

What next, Oxford to put up an IRA mural? :rolleyes:

Have you taken the time to ask the artist what s/he was seeking to depict? For all you know, this painting might be depicting their brutality.
    Just because you're outraged by what you think the image represents, thats no reason to censor artistic expression. Judging by your level of intelligence and inability to engage brain before mouth, your grandfather probably deserved a lot worse and the soldier was probably aiming for his balls but missed these tiny objects owing to the lack of a sniper scope :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Max001 wrote: »
    Have you taken the time to ask the artist what s/he was seeking to depict? For all you know, this painting might be depicting their brutality.
    Just because you're outraged by what you think the image represents, thats no reason to censor artistic expression. Judging by your level of intelligence and inability to engage brain before mouth, your grandfather probably deserved a lot worse and the soldier was probably aiming for his balls but missed these tiny objects owing to the lack of a sniper scope :p
    Cut the crap, i do not care for what he was "trying" to infer, i know in my own mind that it is disrespectful to those who have gone before. People who actually did something for their country.

Also If you cant debate without throwing insults at fellow posters, then i suggest you head over to After Hours along with the other children :) Judging by your crude remarks about a deceased family member of mine, you are an obnoxious individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Thread closed.

I'll come back tomorrow when I am sober, and yes, I will hand out bans. ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement