Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I was asked for my Clubcard today...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,762 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

The actual answer to the OP's question is that all Tesco cashiers have to ask that question to each customer if a Clubcard is not given to them by the customer first. All part of the Mystery Customer stick they are beaten with in training. If they don't ask, the Mystery Customer doesn't give them points, or deducts points. A low score by the Mystery Customer can lead to official warnings and eventually dismissal.

TL;DR - They have to ask. It's part of their job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Saila wrote: »
    oh I dunno it was just a question maybe, defensive much :confused:
    Elliejo wrote: »
    It is a common question in Tesco, SuperValu, and I'm sure, the other chain supermarkets that use such cards. Scan the clubcard, get your points, get vouchers x number of times during the year which then are redeemable against your shopping in the relevant shop.
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    what do you think a clubcard is?
    psni wrote: »
    The actual answer to the OP's question is that all Tesco cashiers have to ask that question to each customer if a Clubcard is not given to them by the customer first. All part of the Mystery Customer stick they are beaten with in training. If they don't ask, the Mystery Customer doesn't give them points, or deducts points. A low score by the Mystery Customer can lead to official warnings and eventually dismissal.

TL;DR - They have to ask. It's part of their job.

It's not a serious thread lads, it's a parody of this thread,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056074758

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,762 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

In my defence, I don't frequent this forum much, but still, if I may use the vernacular term: Facepalm.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Can these threads please end?! :mad:

any time I go into Boots and say I don't have a boots card they look at me as if to say, "Ya weirdo, get outta my store! Or get a card...."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Have 15 Euro in Tesco vouchers to use :)

Don't spend it all in the one place :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭dusty207

Whats "Tesco"?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

dusty207 wrote: »
    Whats "Tesco"?

It's a gathering place for this cult majig under the impression they are looking for vouchers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Here OP, http://www.tesco.ie/clubcard/

For the next time you get in to that embarrassing situation.

And the standard answer to that question is.....

"Yes, but the milk is quite runny today."

Wink your right eye three time and touch your throat with your left thumb.

You're in the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Im a rebel I dont use a clubcard. No point giving the barstewards too much information about yourself. Tesco are a big corporation you know and a guy from the SWP told me that.
    Corporations are bad !!!!

This.

It's a data-mining exercise. It allows Tesco to collate information on your buying habits, and then target you with specific coupon discounts, for example.

More here...http://knowledge.wpcarey.asu.edu/article.cfm?articleid=1451

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭cc-offe

I was actually forced to get a clubcard in dunnes because every time I went I got served by the same woman who would ask did I have a clubcard and I would say no and then cue the following conversation which was inflicted on me almost daily "oh you don't do you not, well my husband would love you, I have a theory that clubcards are like chinese food, you either love them or hate them" drove me mental

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

cc-offe wrote: »
    I was actually forced to get a clubcard in dunnes because every time I went I got served by the same woman who would ask did I have a clubcard and I would say no and then cue the following conversation which was inflicted on me almost daily "oh you don't do you not, well my husband would love you, I have a theory that clubcards are like chinese food, you either love them or hate them" drove me mental

It's a new technique Tesco are teaching their employees, to wear you down with inanity, so they can drag us all into their evil data-mining net.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,010 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I get asked in SuperValu if I've got a clubcard, and I have to reply "Yes, I have got a Tesco Clubcard, but I haven't got a SuperValu Loyalty Card you thick bitch"

Pookah wrote: »
    It's a new technique Tesco are teaching their employees, to wear you down with inanity, so they can drag us all into their evil data-mining net.

It bloody works!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

Tesco won't even let you browse their website if you don't have a Clubcard ffs. No, I don't want one, stop redirecting me to the bloody sign-up form!

Makes me wonder what exactly Clubcard owners get to see...

Sorry for the irrelevant video. I couldn't find one of Lenny saying "Sssh! It's a secret!" so just imagine that's what it is.

Dunjohn wrote: »
    Tesco won't even let you browse their website if you don't have a Clubcard ffs. No, I don't want one, stop redirecting me to the bloody sign-up form! QUOTE]

I signed up without my clubcard, i use the website to do my shopping list and check salt content on certain things, you're missing out on so much excitement Dunjohn!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Dunjohn wrote: »
    Tesco won't even let you browse their website if you don't have a Clubcard ffs. No, I don't want one, stop redirecting me to the bloody sign-up form!

Makes me wonder what exactly Clubcard owners get to see...
    Apparently this is since the card is linked to your local store, so if ordering online it will only show what is available in that shop. I did not like having to sign up, but did and am now very glad I did. It shows all the current offers so I can browse online and then go to the shop and get all the stuff I want -while in the past I would wander around, get bargains and come across better deals and have to keep going back leaving stuff back etc.

I even started a thread on it in bargain alerts http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66702731

I still think they are stupid not to allow you browse.

Checking just now
    Finlandia Vodka 70Cl

SAVE 4.29 Was 20.29 Now 16.00valid from 2/11/2010 until 30/11/2010

and still on
    BUY STELLA ARTOIS 6X330ML BOTTLES + CHICAGO TOWN TAKEAWAY FOUR CHEESE 630G - FOR €6.00valid from 20/8/2010 until 31/12/2010

rubadub wrote: »
    Apparently this is since the card is linked to your local store, so if ordering online it will only show what is available in that shop. I did not like having to sign up, but did and am now very glad I did. It shows all the current offers so I can browse online and then go to the shop and get all the stuff I want -while in the past I would wander around, get bargains and come across better deals and have to keep going back leaving stuff back etc.

I even started a thread on it in bargain alerts http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66702731

I still think they are stupid not to allow you browse.

Checking just now
    Finlandia Vodka 70Cl

SAVE 4.29 Was 20.29 Now 16.00valid from 2/11/2010 until 30/11/2010

and still on
    BUY STELLA ARTOIS 6X330ML BOTTLES + CHICAGO TOWN TAKEAWAY FOUR CHEESE 630G - FOR €6.00valid from 20/8/2010 until 31/12/2010

SSSSSSSHHHH Rubadub, you've already told him too much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I have a clubcard but I never use it even when the cashier asks me for it

TAKE DOWN THE SYSTEM!!11!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,010 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Would all the Tesco stores self-destruct if a Dunnes card was scanned by mistake?:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭astra2000

Magnenta I recently got posted out 2 new clubcards from tesco give me your address and I will post you my spare and you can be in my club. (and earn me lots of points):)

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭benj

i hate them people, with their oppression and their questions. can't they just scan and ask for the total at the end without the endless questions!

use the self service tills :P

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

benj wrote: »

They ask too! "Have you remembered to swipe your clubcard?" It's inescapable, I tells ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Pookah wrote: »
    It's a data-mining exercise. It allows Tesco to collate information on your buying habits, and then target you with specific coupon discounts, for example.

TBH when I go to Tesco/Asda/Lidl/etc I have enough trouble remembering to bring my blasted "bags for life" with me without faffing around with bleedin paper vouchers. Seeing as how the Polish guys have gone home now Tesco can stick their gawdamn clubcard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I go to the same supermarket most days to buy my lunch, at this stage I'm vaguely familiar with the staff. I've been going to the shop for months but still get asked if I have a clubcard nearly everytime I'm being served. No, I don't because:

1) I don't want one.
    2) I can be arsed filling in the form tbh.

That's not magically going to change the next day I'm in the shop, and I won't suddenly change my mind. I know they have to ask if there's managers around but almost every fúcking day I get asked. LEAVE ME ALONE! /rant

Cashiers deal with hundreds of people a day, how many cashiers do you deal with a day? If you look relatively ordinary I don't see how they're expected to remember you. I had to ask it hundreds of times a day, forgetting means that you get to deal with some angry wagon who can't face the thought of getting the points back on later and will take quite a while to leave the till while doing their best to demean you while ranting. Much easier to ask people, personally couldnt care less if you said no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

They ask too! "Have you remembered to swipe your clubcard?" It's inescapable, I tells ya!

There so eager to get you to swipe because apart from using your info for their own market research they sell all that info on to other companies for big sums of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

benj wrote: »

yeah, the self service tills with the 2 extra staff there to make sure you do it right.

'are you using your own bag'?
    YES

'please remove item from bagging area'
    OH FFS

'do you wish to continue'?
    FCUK OFF:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

yeah, the self service tills with the 2 extra staff there to make sure you do it right.

'are you using your own bag'?
    YES

'please remove item from bagging area'
    OH FFS

'do you wish to continue'?
    FCUK OFF:mad:

Just steal shit, saves a lot of time and hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Sonz

Maybe cause it's the ''express'' checkout you shouldn't be asked for a clubcard..no? Always considered them a diy jobby without the pay check...:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Ghetto Cornetto

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I get asked in SuperValu if I've got a clubcard, and I have to reply "Yes, I have got a Tesco Clubcard, but I haven't got a SuperValu Loyalty Card you thick bitch"

FFS. :rolleyes:

Advertisement