Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I was asked for my Clubcard today...

Options
  • 06-11-2010 11:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭

Yes, I was visiting a till at a Tesco Express and upon scanning ya wan behind the counter went through my details and landed me with this bomb of 'do you have a Clubcard?'.

I just went 'wtf' in my head and after an awkward slience said 'err no Clubcard'. Then she just wobbled her head and promptly kept scanning into her till.

Now, what frigging relevance is my Clubcard in order to get served in a supermarket? :mad:

Thought Ireland was in the 21st century and why would a supermarket care about my Clubcard? :confused:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭cc-offe

Tesco brings all the mums to the yard and they're like 'do ya have a clubcard' :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

oh I dunno it was just a question maybe, defensive much :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Elliejo

It is a common question in Tesco, SuperValu, and I'm sure, the other chain supermarkets that use such cards. Scan the clubcard, get your points, get vouchers x number of times during the year which then are redeemable against your shopping in the relevant shop.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,199 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Magenta wrote: »
    Yes, I was visiting a till at a Tesco Express and upon scanning ya wan behind the counter went through my details and landed me with this bomb of 'do you have a Clubcard?'.

I just went 'wtf' in my head and after an awkward slience said 'err no Clubcard'. Then she just wobbled her head and promptly kept scanning into her till.

Now, what frigging relevance is my Clubcard in order to get served in a supermarket? :mad:

Thought Ireland was in the 21st century and why would a supermarket care about my Clubcard? :confused:

what do you think a clubcard is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

What idiot though itd be a good idea to replace the regular clubcard with a mini keychain version - oh sure, il just hand over my house, car and work keys to some stranger for a few extra points so i can get 30c of my next purchase of broccoli :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Elliejo

Just because it can be attached to a keyring doesn't mean that you have to put it on your keys.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

What idiot though itd be a good idea to replace the regular clubcard with a mini keychain version - oh sure, il just hand over my house, car and work keys to some stranger for a few extra points so i can get 30c of my next purchase of broccoli
    Probably the same idiot who thought it unlikely that a cashier in a busy shop would run off with your keys and steal your car while you just stand there and do nothing?!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

It's quite simple really, incase of death Tesco know what condolence coupons to send you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

dambarude wrote: »
    Probably the same idiot who thought it unlikely that a cashier in a busy shop would run of with your keys and steal your car while you just stand there and do nothing?!

Touche :D

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭VampiricPadraig

I get asked that question all the time...

I want those points so I can get money off Tesco Value Baked Beans *drools*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

i hate them people, with their oppression and their questions. can't they just scan and ask for the total at the end without the endless questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

Huh uh....I see what you're doin' here! Cue 80 pages of ranting about the separation of....erm.....Supermarket and....erm....church and state....or something.....:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

Elliejo wrote: »
    It is a common question in Tesco, SuperValu, and I'm sure, the other chain supermarkets that use such cards .

and they should give you a hat to say "no thanks I dont want to join, fuck off now and stop asking"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Im a rebel I dont use a clubcard. No point giving the barstewards too much information about yourself. Tesco are a big corporation you know and a guy from the SWP told me that.
    Corporations are bad !!!!

Although in the past I have managed to obtain the best of both worlds by using my Polish housemates clubcard. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Saila wrote: »
    and they should give you a hat to say "no thanks I dont want to join, fuck off now and stop asking"

But what if its a life threatening shop? Your family have the right to know what you buy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I hope you gave that shop assistant a slap for her cheek

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Magenta wrote: »
    Yes, I was visiting a till at a Tesco Express :confused:
    Now that's the ultimate staycation.

Give yourself a real holiday, get in a day tour of the M&S deli counter with B&B in Arnotts, you're obviously a little overstressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Have 15 Euro in Tesco vouchers to use :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭cml387

You have the right not to show your Clubcard.

This how nazi russia started.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

cml387 wrote: »
    You have the right not to show your Clubcard.

In former Soviet Union, clubcard presents you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

cml387 wrote: »
    In former Soviet Union.

I reckone youse are both confused

Soviet Russia = Clubcard
    Nazi Russia = Valueclub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

cc-offe wrote: »
    Tesco brings all the mums to the yard and they're like 'do ya have a clubcard' :D

Ugh........................*vomit*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

In former Soviet Union, clubcard presents you.
    Mike 1972 wrote: »
    I reckone youse are both confused

Soviet Russia = Clubcard
    Nazi Russia = Valueclub

Что это такое

Я даже не

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

I go to the same supermarket most days to buy my lunch, at this stage I'm vaguely familiar with the staff. I've been going to the shop for months but still get asked if I have a clubcard nearly everytime I'm being served. No, I don't because:

1) I don't want one.
    2) I can be arsed filling in the form tbh.

That's not magically going to change the next day I'm in the shop, and I won't suddenly change my mind. I know they have to ask if there's managers around but almost every fúcking day I get asked. LEAVE ME ALONE! /rant

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I go to the same supermarket most days to buy my lunch, at this stage I'm vaguely familiar with the staff. I've been going to the shop for months but still get asked if I have a clubcard nearly everytime I'm being served. No, I don't because:

1) I don't want one.

That's not magically going to change the next day I'm in the shop, and I won't suddenly change my mind. I know they have to ask if there's managers around but almost every fúcking day I get asked. LEAVE ME ALONE! /rant

Why not get something back from them though if you shop in the same place :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

1) I don't want one.

Why dont you just get one then!!? Save up afew points and get yourself a nice bottle of Smirnoff Tesco Value Vodka at the end of the year for free!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,156 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

My grocery store reminds me if i have a pfc card when i checkout. I dont think theres anything sinister about this, just that its policy to ask, and having one means i can save up coupon points and such. Some discounts are only available with the clubcard, etc. - the consequence of not having one is, well, you dont get those discounts. nobody doesnt not serve you..

OP sounds paranoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

It IS sinister ....can't you SEE ???

They collect all that information on what you buy and then they ...:mad:....they give you...FREE STUFF in exchange for studying your shopping habits..:mad: THOSE BA$TARDS!

I mean miss buying tampons for nine months and they're pimping you discounts on nappies and SMA Gold :mad: It's outrageous I tells ya.

If your receipts show 'pierce and ping' meals for one, white wine and several copies of heat, Now and Closer a week they'll know you're a suicidal singleton in her 30's and soon they'll be offering discounts on Oil of Ulay, Dark circles extra strong cover stick and Resolve (for inner cleanliness)

The dark conspiracy SURROUNDS US!!! THEY'RE WATCHING US!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I just go to the same cashier each week. She knows me now and doesn't bother asking me if I have a clubcard.

My other method was wearing a t-shirt with "Don't ask about the clubcard" written across it. But it's too cold now to be walking around in a t-shirt...and people were giving me funny looks anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

"I was asked for" thread is old...

:mad:

Got any change?

Advertisement