Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government flails wildly in it's dying moments...

Options
  • 04-11-2010 6:05pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/angry-scenes-in-dail-as-opposition-criticise-by-election-court-appeal-480426.html

Angry scenes in Dáil as Opposition criticise by-election court appeal
    Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 01:10 PM

The Government has today been accused of only appealing yesterday's High Court decision on by-elections to prevent further legal challenges on other vacant seats.

During rowdy scenes in the Dáil which saw the sitting suspended for 10 minutes, Fine Gael and Labour said it is also a waste of taxpayers' money.

However, Taoiseach Brian Cowen told Opposition leaders Enda Kenny and Eamon Gilmore that there was a constitutional obligation to launch the appeal.

“It is a manifestly political ruse to deprive the Dáil from making a decision to hold the other three by-elections,” said Deputy Gilmore.

The Taoiseach responded: “The Government has that entitlement, has that constitutional obligation, and like other litigants before the courts, is fully entitled to await the determination of the matter by appeal.”

:pac:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

...And your opinion is?

We, the majority of us do agree (I suspect), that its a sadly laughable farce continuing under the name of FF and the Greens.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I'm hoping for a repeat of the Canadian General Election in 1993 when the ruling Progressive Conservatives went into elections with 151 seats and lost all but TWO of them. Only, obviously, for that to happen here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Thankfully, as I've been informed in the politics section, that FG have now applied to the courts to force the other bye-elections.

Just pity it took SF to shame them into it!
    Mind you, FG haven't even bothered their arse to do anything except issue poor words from the poodle Kenny!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Biggins wrote: »
    ...And your opinion is?

We, the majority of us do agree (I suspect), that its a sadly laughable farce continuing under the name of FF and the Greens.

The title is my opinion. Time for them to admit defeat and move on. They'll still get our taxes paid for the rest of their lives

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Cowen is such a cock.

It's not abuse when it's true.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

A thread that mentions the word flails and no sign of those tube men. Like these! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Ruu wrote: »
    A thread that mentions the word flails and no sign of those tube men. Like these! :eek:

Epic flail.

If they survive till Christmas, it will be a miracle. One I hope we don't get!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Mind you, FG haven't even bothered their arse to do anything except issue poor words from the poodle Kenny!

I really don't understand that either.

I'd say it's worrying that FG/Labour (the 2 major opposition parties and the ones most likely in power together next) were not motivated enough to do something a much smaller party (SF) with far more limited resources has then gone and done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Why a shame that it was SF?
    Ironic perhaps, but a shame?
    It's shame that this had to go to court at all and that any political party had to force the government's hand with a legal action.
    Nothing is as shameful however as our own political rulers using public money to attempt to override the rights of certain portions of the country's electorate to their right to representation.

Wertz wrote: »
    Why a shame that it was SF?
    Ironic perhaps, but a shame?
    There is no shame attached to it being SF. My words are not an attempt to belittle SF.
    It is just a shame that it took another party - any party - to get them (FG) to do something as follow-up, that as more major party, they should have done long ago on their own initiative!

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

Corrupt and incompetent government in clingling onto power shocker. :eek:

Who'd have thought it?

fat__tony wrote: »

Who'd have thought it?
    Someone in FF obviously. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Either call the election now or wait til after Christmas. I would hate to have Christmas ruined by a campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

I have no problem with FF appealing to the SC for clarification on the separation of powers. That makes good sense.
    What I do object to is the fact that they are saying they are not doing it to extend the writs any further.
    If that was the case then give the people their f*cking election, it's beyond a bloody joke now, where's the democracy gone to??

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Ellian

bleg wrote: »
    Either call the election now or wait til after Christmas. I would hate to have Christmas ruined by a campaign.

I don't know. You could always get them to sing carols for your vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,201 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

fat__tony wrote: »

Who'd have thought it?

Yup, democratic political party using undemocratic methods to remain in power.

A shocking abuse of their powers and of the spirit of the Constitution.

Thankfully they won't last more than another 6 months and then it's up to every citizen in this country to ensure that they spend far more than a generation out of power attoning for their sins.

Time to get rid of the Irish MaFFia.

...What I do object to is the fact that they are saying they are not doing it to extend the writs any further.
    I could be wrong but I think or lead to think, that they have only stopped SF themselves from trying the same tactic again in other bye-election areas.

FG now has applied to the courts in their stead (http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/1104/breaking38.html), to try and push for the other bye-elections.
    Possibly having seen the successfulness of the legal action of SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,201 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

I have no problem with FF appealing to the SC for clarification on the separation of powers. That makes good sense.
    What I do object to is the fact that they are saying they are not doing it to extend the writs any further.
    If that was the case then give the people their f*cking election, it's beyond a bloody joke now, where's the democracy gone to??

100% agree.

As a party let them appeal it... but NOT using taxpayers money for something that is a party political, not a governmental, stunt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

I could be wrong but I think or lead to think, that they have only stopped SF themselves from trying the same tactic again in other bye-election areas.

FG now has applied to the courts in their stead (http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/1104/breaking38.html), to try and push for the other bye-elections.
    Possibly having seen the successfulness of the legal action of SF.

So with 3 more seats on the way, which will never go to FF, lets see if the greens have any integrity whatsoever and end this nonsense.
    (I wont even bother to mention the independents, Haely-rae is an embarrasment to politics)

...Healy-Rae is an embarrassment to politics.
    ...And he proved that today again!
    For those that missed it, see: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/1104/breaking46.html

100% agree.

As a party let them appeal it... but NOT using taxpayers money for something that is a party political, not a governmental, stunt.
    Of course its an amazing coincidence that they pull this stunt - sorry... question of an electoral legality - at this time. :rolleyes:

Fianna Fail at their best - or should I say - at their usual... :mad:

Just one more fcukin disgrace to add to the party name!

...And he proved that today again!
    For those that missed it, see: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/1104/breaking46.html

Aye, him or one of the sons on talking sh*te with Matt Cooper there earlier on.
    Another town hospital? Jesus they just got one opened in Dingle...meanwhile up in the pale Navan and Dundalk (with much higher respective populations) have had theirs all but closed down.

Make no mistake though...healy-Rae will be getting re-elected because he gets his voters what they want...which is exaclty what's wrong with Irish politics...

Aye, him or one of the sons on talking sh*te with Matt Cooper there earlier on.
    Another town hospital? Jesus they just got one opened in Dingle...meanwhile up in the pale Navan and Dundalk (with much higher respective populations) have had theirs all but closed down.

Make no mistake though...healy-Rae will be getting re-elected because he gets his voters what they want...which is exaclty what's wrong with Irish politics...

I'm informed that he's standing down next time around in place of one of his sons, who he's trying now to support/offer advice to, in getting his seat.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I'm all for a new start, but unfortunately don't have much faith in whatever else is to come along to replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

I'm looking forward to the demise of FF as much as the next person, but I don't understand why people keep claiming that FF are denying the democratic will of the people by not holding a general election.

Thats not how things work, governments are elected for a fixed term assuming they can hold their majority, the Irish people were stupid enough to elect these guys to the Dail and now that the incompetent electorate has finally realised there is an incompetent government that is running the country (far, far too late though), they seem to think they should have some kind of get out clause. They don't and the Irish people will just have to put up with the mess they have made of the running of the country until such time as FF are no longer capable of keeping power and maybe next time the people will actually vote for intellegent, capable, honest candiates instead of the chancers who can best work the system. But politics in Ireland is far too local so thats probably never going to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

The only problem with kicking FF out by xmas is that the opposition suddenly get it into their heads that we'd actually want them in charge instead..

Is there any way we could just have the entire Dail lined up and shot and then hand the keys over to Angela Merkel?

I'm informed that he's standing down next time around in place of one of his sons, who he's trying now to support/offer advice to, in getting his seat.

Not really much advice needed...the surname will be enough, I'm sure...

• Advertisement

Not really much advice needed...the surname will be enough, I'm sure...
    Yes, sadly that's all it takes with some voters. :(
    Absolutely stupid and outdated thinking.

Advertisement