Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1: 2010 Brazilian Grand Prix (Round 18 of 19)

Options
  • 03-11-2010 1:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/245845/two-to-go-the-championship-situation/

165549.jpg
    Fernando Alonso (championship leader, 231 points)

Alonso is the only man who could win the title with one race to spare.

To do that, he must finish on the podium in Brazil, with the following situations taking place:

- Winning the race with Webber 5th or lower
    - Finishing 2nd with Webber 8th or lower
    - Finishing 3rd with Webber 10th or lower

This confirms that Webber is the only man who can stop Alonso in Brazil. If the Spaniard does finish on the rostrum, no result from any other contender would prevent the Ferrari driver from winning the title.

165529.jpg
    Mark Webber (2nd overall, 220 points)

Webber will remain in the fight providing Alonso finishes off the podium in Brazil, although the Australian will be out of the championship if one of the following situations become a reality:

- Alonso wins and Webber finishes 5th or lower
    - Alonso finishes 2nd and Webber finishes 8th or lower
    - Alonso finishes 3rd and Webber finishes 10th or lower

So, if Alonso is 4th then we know Webber is safe, no matter where he is. However, if Alonso is in the top three, Webber knows where he needs to be.

165377.jpg
    Lewis Hamilton (3rd overall, 210 points)

Like Webber, Hamilton could remain in the running without even scoring in Brazil, although the 2008 Champion will be unable to clinch a second crown in 2010 under the following circumstances:

- Alonso wins the race
    - Alonso finishes 2nd and Hamilton finishes 4th or lower
    - Alonso finishes 3rd and Hamilton finishes 5th or lower
    - Webber wins the race and Hamilton finishes 5th or lower
    - Webber finishes 2nd and Hamilton finishes 9th or lower

For Hamilton, he knows he is powerless if Alonso wins. Under any other circumstances, Lewis can prevent Alonso and Webber from becoming untouchable.

165200.jpg
    Sebastian Vettel (4th overall, 206 points)

Vettel currently lies 25 points in arrears of Alonso, meaning he must finish at least 10th and therefore score one point at Interlagos to stay in the game. However, it will all be over if this happens in Brazil:

- Alonso wins the race
    - Alonso finishes 2nd-10th and Vettel does not finish ahead
    - Webber wins the race and Vettel finishes 4th or lower
    - Webber finishes 2nd and Vettel finishes 7th or lower
    - Webber finishes 3rd and Vettel finishes 8th or lower
    - Webber finishes 4th and Vettel finishes 10th or lower
    - Hamilton wins the race and Vettel finishes 8th or lower

Basically, Vettel must finish ahead of Alonso (providing Fernando scores) but if the Ferrari driver wins then Sebastian can’t do anything to stop him. Even if the Spaniard fails to score, Sebastian knows that a top ten result is vital to stay in touch. Webber and Hamilton are also threats, especially if Mark wins.

165190.jpg
    Jenson Button (5th overall, 189 points)

The reigning Champion has the hardest job of any of the five title contenders, as he must finish at least at least 2nd no matter what happens in Brazil. However, if the following things do happen, Button becomes mathematically helpless:

- Alonso finishes 6th or higher
    - Alonso finishes 7th-10th and Button does not win
    - Webber wins
    - Webber finishes 2nd-4th and Button does not win

Not only does Jenson need to finish at least second, but he needs other things to happen to Fernando Alonso. Even if the Spaniard fails to score and Jenson wins, the Frome driver still needs Mark Webber to finish fifth or lower. The best the McLaren man can do now is to aim for the win and pray for carnage behind…or, more realistically, help Hamilton.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aut%C3%B3dromo_Jos%C3%A9_Carlos_Pace

18_Brazil_EN_RGB_72dpi.jpg

The circuit is one of a minority of non-oval racing circuits to go in an anti-clockwise direction (Autodromo Enzo e Dino Ferrari, Istanbul Racing Circuit, Yas Marina Circuit, Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, Phillip Island Grand Prix Circuit, Circuit Ricardo Tormo in Valencia, and Miller Motorsports Park being notable others). The present design of the track dates back from 1990, when the original circuit was shortened from 7,829 m to only 4,397 m (so that it could fit the new FIA restrictions on track length). As a consequence of the reduction, the track lost three long straight sections and nine fast curves (5 were lost forever, 4 were made slower and are still there). The original track was full of fast corners and it allowed cars to keep maximum speed for up to twenty seconds[citation needed] and was considered very dangerous (though no one ever died there racing Formula One) but in 1990 the old layout majorly revised. The new track still had a very long top-speed section that contained bumps, high-speed turns and little run-off area (though the track is very wide at this point).
    Another reason why many drivers consider Interlagos interesting is that it was not built on flat terrain, but follows the ups and downs of hilly ground, which makes it harder to drive and demands more power from the car's engines. The hilly course is also a good feature for road cycling races usually held in the circuit.
    The circuit is known for its many inclines and formerly bumpy surface, which could take its toll on F1 cars because they have a very low ride height and little suspension travel. The races are therefore very tough on the car, and also physically tough on the drivers, especially since the circuit is anti-clockwise which forces the drivers' necks to move to the left, despite being trained to go right.

Here's what we should all be hoping for :D
    • 1st: Vettel
    • 2nd: Hamilton
    • 4th: Webber
    • 10th: Alonso

Points into Yas Marina would be:
    • Webber: 232
    • Alonso: 232
    • Vettel: 231
    • Hamilton: 228

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I'd prefer Button winning, Webber and Alonso out and Hamilton and Vettel in the last couple of points places. :pac:

EDIT: Never expected to say this but those 2008 cars look horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

amacachi wrote: »
    I'd prefer Button winning, Webber and Alonso out and Hamilton and Vettel in the last couple of points places. :pac:

EDIT: Never expected to say this but those 2008 cars look horrible.
    http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/championship-calculator/

Alonso 231
    Webber 220
    Button 214
    Hamilton 212
    Vettel 207

:D

Cheeky ****ers Paddy Power giving no odds on Button for the title. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Really looking forward to this weekend! Should be a cracker!

My preview is online

• Registered Users Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

last GP of the year as UAE will be ****e.

Come on Alonso!
    wrap it up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

They are predicting rain for Saturday with a dry Sunday.

Classic GPs on BBC are good, though they haven't shown the 2008 one yet, not looking forward to it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

With F1 this weekend been shown on the brand new BBC1 HD channel (On Freesat ;) ,not to be confused with the BBC HD channel)
    Does this mean we will get it in HD?

Classic GPs on BBC are good, though they haven't shown the 2008 one yet, not looking forward to it. :pac:

Turns out they're not showing the 08 race which is nice. :D :pac:

They're showing the 1980 race though which took place on this monster:

Interlagos_1979.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

http://www.planetf1.com/news/3213/6485940/Massa-If-It-s-Up-To-Me-I-Will-Help-Alonso

Stefano-Domenicali-and-Fernando-Alonso-and-Fe_2502154.jpg
    Felipe Massa won't hesitate if called upon to help Ferrari team-mate Fernando Alonso win the F1 title at the Brazilian GP.

Alonso has a chance to clinch his third World title at Interlagos on Sunday, and Massa guarantees he will do whatever he can to see his team-mate achieve his goal, even relinquish victory in front of his home crowd.

"Why not, I'm a professional," Massa said. "I did it in 2007, it wouldn't be a problem this time."

That year, Massa also wasn't in contention for the title and arrived at the Brazilian GP in position to help then Ferrari team-mate Kimi Raikkonen. Massa was leading the race but allowed Raikkonen to take over first place and secure the Drivers' Championship.

"If it is up to me, I'll definitely do it again," Massa said.

The Brazilian already allowed Alonso to pass him for victory at the German GP this year, after receiving instructions from the Ferrari pit over his car radio, a move that prompted F1 officials to fine Ferrari US$100,000 for using banned team orders.

Alonso could win the title if he wins Sunday's race and Red Bull's Mark Webber finishes fifth or worse. He can also clinch the title by finishing second if Webber is eighth or worse, McLaren's Lewis Hamilton fourth or worse and Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel third or worse.

Massa, who won at home in 2006 and '08, had a disappointing season this year and has yet to win a race. He will have another chance at the season finale in Abu Dhabi on 14 November.

"It was not a positive year," the 29-year-old Massa said. "I had hoped to be faster."

I can confirm I have understood that message.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,122 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Turns out they're not showing the 08 race which is nice. :D :pac:

They're showing the 1980 race though which took place on this monster:

Never knew that, crazy looking track

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Am I the only one to say this?!

C'Mon Vettel!!

Am I the only one to say this?!

C'Mon Vettel!!

No...I'd say there are loads of Alonso fans looking for the Red Bull drivers to take points off one another!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

C'Mon Vettel
    C'Mon Webber
    C'Mon Alonso
    C'Mon Massa

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

In that order please

Qualifying looks like it will be absolutely pouring according to forecasts. I hope its not another Sunday quali and race day.

Qualifying looks like it will be absolutely pouring according to forecasts. I hope its not another Sunday quali and race day.

I wouldn't mind that at all, unlike Japan it wouldn't be at a bad hour and it would run nicely into the NASCAR. I only hope that they don't pussy out because of conditions whether it's qualifying or the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭weekaizer

i have a feeling it will be a real dog fight between vettel and alonso this weekend.. webber usually goes well at interlagos and he really needs a strong qualifying if he wants to stay in this championship.. Vettel seems to have more of a killer instict about him to challenge alonso in these last 2 races.. my money for the championship is on vettel as the red bull is the best car by far i feel.
    Cant wait for the race! :D

Vettel quote to German tv today: "if Mark needs help, he should take the medical car". Webber apparently not amused nor surprised according to legard on twitter. Rumblings all day in Red Bull.

Webber and Vettel both acting unprofessional today, Alonso will be delighted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

And Webber being pressed about whether he had the same 'emotional' backing from the team as vettle does?! He replies "Isn't it obvious".

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/87915

Here's the conumdrum, if Webber has the opportunity to take his teammate out, and Alonso is already out of race, do you think he'll take him down!?!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,309 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I think webber is a straight guy and wouldnt pull a schumacher.

astrofluff wrote: »
    And Webber being pressed about whether he had the same 'emotional' backing from the team as vettle does?! He replies "Isn't it obvious".

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/87915

Here's the conumdrum, if Webber has the opportunity to take his teammate out, and Alonso is already out of race, do you think he'll take him down!?!

No, if he did and i was Red Bull boss he wouldn't be driving in Abu Dhabi.
    mickdw wrote: »
    I think webber is a straight guy and wouldnt pull a schumacher.
    There's a possibility he did in Korea just caught the wrong car :)

This is a failure of Red Bull management both drivers should be saying they will do what's best for the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    There's a possibility he did in Korea just caught the wrong car :).

That makes absolutely no sense

• Registered Users Posts: 30,122 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

All a bit messy from redbull regarding what the drivers are saying. Would be disappointing if they don't do there best for the team if it comes down to that

Don't mind some bad weather but hopefully we get proper race and qualifying

Alonso stops at the end of the first practice session. THe team have said that the engine was about to fail and Alonso pulled over before it blew. He was due to changehis engine after the session anyway but this shows the potential chinks in his armour

Was practice 1 cancelled?

Was practice 1 cancelled?

No just after finishing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

From BBC F1:

1329: Actually there's two problems. Alonso's Ferrari has ground to a halt at Turn Four. Crikey, that engine does not sound good at all.. Kobayashi has a moment at exactly at the same place as Petrov and he smacks his Sauber into the tyre wall. Well that was a fun way to end the session.

Pit-lane reporter Ted Kravitz near the Ferrari pits: "There's a worry at Ferrari about engine failure. There are a lot of set-up changes going on. They're moving some weight really far forward in the car."

Heating up!

• Advertisement

frostie500 wrote: »
    No just after finishing

Just saw that, Formula1.com was just being ****e. :pac:

Engine trouble for Alonso eh? Should be good. :D

Advertisement