Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching Interviews ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

I have been trying to be really optimistic this year but so far no interviews. I just got rejected for a job that advertised 5 hours in my main subject. I've been teaching it for five years, including two in England, and I'm up to date on all curriculum changes. Looking at my application, I gave examples of my use and experience of different teaching methodologies, ICT strategies and involvement in extra curriculars, and I really don't know what else I could have done to get shortlisted. Considering it's only for 5 hours, I can't imagine people much more experienced than me applying.

With the changes to CID, is it possible that schools don't want to interview as many people when they already have a candidate in the school? Has the interview process changed in any way because of the new law?

Really trying to stay positive but by this time last year, I was asked to three interviews and I got a job from the first one!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 patriciaf6

Stop it's a disaster! I was lucky enough to get a job offer at the end of last week but then today recieved a letter from a school closer to home to say I wasn't shortlisted for a 6 hour contract! You literally just have to apply for everything because now it's impossible to tell what's a genuine job and what's not! Stay positive,it only takes one phonecall for it all to change!

Patricia, looking through your posts I'm fairly certain we were rejected for the same job today!! I changed the hours slightly and didnt mention subjects because I didn't want the post to be too identifiable but.. it's nice to know it's not just me. Congrats on the job!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 patriciaf6

I'll pm you in a few!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Quick question. I'm an NQT just qualified this June.
    A job vacancy came online yesterday so I emailed my application yesterday evening. This morning I got a call for interview THIS Thursday.
    I've heard jobs with very short closing dates are already filled basically.

I wouldn't mind going for experience (have only done 2 interviews-both v good feedback) but its at the other end of the country and there would be a lot of hassle and travel expenses involved.
    What is the likelihood that there is a vacancy? I suppose I should go just in case? Its a fee paying secondary school if that makes any difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Corkgirl18 wrote: »
    Quick question. I'm an NQT just qualified this June.
    A job vacancy came online yesterday so I emailed my application yesterday evening. This morning I got a call for interview THIS Thursday.
    I've heard jobs with very short closing dates are already filled basically.

I wouldn't mind going for experience (have only done 2 interviews-both v good feedback) but its at the other end of the country and there would be a lot of hassle and travel expenses involved.
    What is the likelihood that there is a vacancy? I suppose I should go just in case? Its a fee paying secondary school if that makes any difference.

If you can afford to get there the experience is invaluable if it is your first. The job probably is gone and if it isn't usually with fee paying schools they know who they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

So disheartened. Didn't even get an interview for 16 hours in a school I really wanted. I've 10 years experience, honours degree, dip and masters. Had a principal look over my application. Don't know where I went wrong but so disappointed.

So disheartened. Didn't even get an interview for 16 hours in a school I really wanted. I've 10 years experience, honours degree, dip and masters. Had a principal look over my application. Don't know where I went wrong but so disappointed.

How's the references?

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    How's the references?

Well it's my current principal and DP but who knows tbh. I'm certain the DPs reference is excellent. The principal is a difficult person so I would never be sure. There is absolutely nothing bad they could say and I have got on very well in several inspections, do several extra curricular activities, lots of CPD and have excellent attendance and punctuality.

I have CID but there is no prospect of improved hours and principal has been awkward to speak to about this. It would be pretty sh1tty of them to scupper any chances I may have elsewhere now when they are not willing to improve my CID after 9 years. There are over 20 teachers on part time CID in my school, some there up to 12 years.

If my principal is giving me a poor reference then I may give up my career altogether at this stage.

Well it's my current principal and DP but who knows tbh. I'm certain the DPs reference is excellent. The principal is a difficult person so I would never be sure. There is absolutely nothing bad they could say and I have got on very well in several inspections, do several extra curricular activities, lots of CPD and have excellent attendance and punctuality.

I have CID but there is no prospect of improved hours and principal has been awkward to speak to about this. It would be pretty sh1tty of them to scupper any chances I may have elsewhere now when they are not willing to improve my CID after 9 years. There are over 20 teachers on part time CID in my school, some there up to 12 years.

If my principal is giving me a poor reference then I may give up my career altogether at this stage.

You sound like a valuable asset to the school you are in currently.

• Advertisement

I would imagine if you are getting one kind of reference from principal and then the DP of the same school is saying something different, then the school you are applying for will be able to read between the lines.

Dont give up at this stage! 10 years and YOU know any school would be lucky to have you with that commitment and experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

You sound like a valuable asset to the school you are in currently.

20 teachers on part time CID's and the poster is still on part time CID after nine years. Id say that principal wants to keep all those valuable assets right where they are.

Any chance there are hours available in your subjects but they are being split between teachers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Make sure you are requesting an increased CID in writing every year

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    20 teachers on part time CID's and the poster is still on part time CID after nine years. Id say that principal wants to keep all those valuable assets right where they are.

Any chance there are hours available in your subjects but they are being split between teachers?

Yes lots of us have same subjects. Three with my subjects since I started. The union have been involved but have been unable to help due to technicalities. Principal said he was surprised to hear I'm unhappy as I have the one of the "best" CIDs (14 hours!!) and exact words were "I don't understand what the problem is, you're getting paid for full hours".
    Make sure you are requesting an increased CID in writing every year

I have done since you posted that advice earlier this year. Thanks.

I think current school is a lost cause tbh at this stage. Terrifying to be looking at giving up CID in the hope of progressing but so disappointing to not even get an interview. I was precluded from applying for a particular position this year as not on full hours (as were several other interested parties) - really brought home to me the hopeless situation I'm in, and that's before you even consider the issue of financial security.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Yes lots of us have same subjects. Three with my subjects since I started. The union have been involved but have been unable to help due to technicalities. Principal said he was surprised to hear I'm unhappy as I have the one of the "best" CIDs (14 hours!!) and exact words were "I don't understand what the problem is, you're getting paid for full hours".

I have done since you posted that advice earlier this year. Thanks.

I think current school is a lost cause tbh at this stage. Terrifying to be looking at giving up CID in the hope of progressing but so disappointing to not even get an interview. I was precluded from applying for a particular position this year as not on full hours (as were several other interested parties) - really brought home to me the hopeless situation I'm in, and that's before you even consider the issue of financial security.

That sounds challenging to say the least. And very unfair of the principal, he has to understand job security? No chance of a management change coming?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

I'm certain the DPs reference is excellent.... If my principal is giving me a poor reference then I may give up my career altogether at this stage.

If you haven't a reference from another school, could you not ask some other senior member of staff for that second reference on the grounds that they worked closer with you? I gave one to a new teacher a while back as I was her cooperating teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 in_the_sky

If you can afford to get there the experience is invaluable if it is your first. The job probably is gone and if it isn't usually with fee paying schools they know who they want.

I find your quote interesting about private schools...Im a NQT and have only had 4 interviews...3 with fee paying schools, and no luck. The same thing pops up about not having enough experience, would you reckon that these positions are already earmarked? Clearly they can see on my CV that I dont have alot of experience...do they do this to NQT's like me that are (clearly) inexperienced, and maybe a little naive?

I found that the interviewers in the private schools clearly had no interest in me (looking out the window etc)
    It's very disheartening

Advertisement