Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching Interviews ?

Options
  • 02-11-2010 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Are candidates entitled to feedback from an interview by law ?
    Also, does a school have to call a minimum number of candidates for the interview process ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

What do you mean by law? Do you mean should everyone automatically receive feedback or should you receive it if you request it? If you want the marks you got at your interview you are entitled to a copy of them.

Don't know about the minimum candidates. If only one person applies for the job and is suitable then that should be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭clo1

Hi guys, I feel this is the relevant thread to add to. I have just done a load of interviews to get into teaching after qualifying a year ago in English/Guidance. I have already been offered two contracts (not great hours tbh) but I am wondering is there many interviews that take place in august too, should I hold it in case I get a better offer then? Advice please

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

Take what you are offered.
    You can always accept a better contract at a later stage.
    I would not turn anything down in the hope of getting something better.
    Too risky.

Yes I have accepted both offers. I've just heard that better offers and maybe better contracts can come up in August so I suppose I can always refuse the offers if a better one comes along in August

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

clo1 wrote: »
    Yes I have accepted both offers. I've just heard that better offers and maybe better contracts can come up in August so I suppose I can always refuse the offers if a better one comes along in August

You've accepted both?! That seems a bit OTT considering you don't really want either of them. I would decide which contract you'd prefer and continuing applying in the hope of better. No point annoying two schools in August.

• Advertisement

Hi yes I agree but neither have been confirmed yet i was just verbally offered both so when i receive written confirmation/a contract then I can refuse the one I want least, thats my thinking on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Hi yes I agree but neither have been confirmed yet i was just verbally offered both so when i receive written confirmation/a contract then I can refuse the one I want least, thats my thinking on it.

You won't get a contract till a few weeks into term.

Yeh I will be gettig written confirmation of both posts in a week or so so I guess i may make the decision then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

I would totally agree with the view that you take what is offered now and if you can better it later so be it. 'A bird in the hand' and all that.

I wouldn't worry about 'annoying schools' later by withdrawing from a job - remember that principals will break jobs up and offer short hours to people when it suits them without giving a care about annoying people. Suit yourself in these situations.

Really? I have never gotten a contract before August at best but I understand your position better now. Will you be required to sign and return contracts in the next few weeks?

• Advertisement

Well I have now been told that I will formally get offered the maternity via letter this week and the 11 hour contract will be sent to me in august so I guess I have a bit of time before I need to make a decision and maybe there will be a better offer in august (fingers crossed!)

Also, I have just noticed a job I interviewed for and got rejected for is now being readvertised, what is the story here? Does it mean they are looking for something else? Im assuming I wouldnt need to reapply as they have already screened me?

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Also, I have just noticed a job I interviewed for and got rejected for is now being readvertised, what is the story here? Does it mean they are looking for something else? Im assuming I wouldnt need to reapply as they have already screened me?

I'd pick up the phone to the school and check it out - they could have offered but the candidate may have turned it down.

Ok I will do, although I assumed if they knew I was interested at the interview they would have called me to see if I wanted the post rather than start recruitment again? I assume they would call through the other interviewees?

Ok I will do, although I assumed if they knew I was interested at the interview they would have called me to see if I wanted the post rather than start recruitment again? I assume they would call through the other interviewees?

I agree. Can only imagine it been readvertised if it was a change of hours/contract??? Very unusual.

highly1111 wrote: »
    I agree. Can only imagine it been readvertised if it was a change of hours/contract??? Very unusual.

It's not unusual. It does happen although sometimes the job may be split in two as a result.

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    It's not unusual. It does happen although sometimes the job may be split in two as a result.

So would the best way be to shoot them a call and see what the story is or to just reapply like I did the first time around?

So would the best way be to shoot them a call and see what the story is or to just reapply like I did the first time around?

You could call and ask for feedback on your previous application or reapply. I would say reapply. You could do both I suppose.

Well i just reapplied this morning via email so I guess Ill see what comes of it.

Well i just reapplied this morning via email so I guess Ill see what comes of it.

Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭NCW feen

What kind of questions could a person get asked about assessment for learning ? Also what are good responses to the question, how would you contribute to the ethos of this school ?
    I've talked about being respectful, being positive in your dealings with students and staff, acknowledging pupils achievements in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

AfL I suppose what strategies do you use what do you find most effective. How would you use X method teaching topic Y from your subject.

The ethos question there isn't a standard answer that will completely depend on the ethos of the school. Make sure you know what their ethos is off by heart and if they are an ERST or CEIST etc school what are their principles

I find that in interview I am mostly asked, how do you assess students? Its a nice open question that lets you talk about assessment for learning as well as of learning. Definitely refer to strategies which you've used before and work well with your subject.

Contributing to the ethos of the school, is an opportunity to talk about ethos but also mention how you contributed to your previous school community by supporting extra curriculars and accompanying school tours etc.

Interviews are a lot more about what you can do for their school, rather than
    learning off theory of teaching and their ethos. Schools do like to know that you've done your research but definitely try to bring all answers back to your own experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Once you have your subjects and qualifications, interviews are to see if you're suitable for both the job and school. E.g. Someone ranting about something or someone dressed terribly inappropriately and acting strange. Seen it all.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

TheDriver wrote: »
    Once you have your subjects and qualifications, interviews are to see if you're suitable for both the job and school. E.g. Someone ranting about something or someone dressed terribly inappropriately and acting strange. Seen it all.....

Would love to hear those stories! How can you tell if they are suitable? I'm sure many have the same qualification, dress smartly, and answer the questions sufficiently. How do they stand out from the rest? It must very difficult for interviewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Quite the opposite in fact, you could have 15 people in the door with very good CVs, qualifications on paper etc but impressions can be poor off of 50% of them in the 1st minute [nerves etc aside]. Unfortunately dressing smartly isn't common place but there have been some scandalous stuff come through my door also, not to mention people blatantly lying about things and just a general inability to act appropriately e.g. I have sat through a 10 minute rant from a teacher regarding the injustices of special needs provision [the type of rant where 30s would have succinctly got the point across]. Unfortunately the real good stories are unsuitable for this forum but trust me when I say it can be difficult and also comical at times. The reality is that you must show others you are good and not just know it yourself..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

TheDriver wrote: »
    Quite the opposite in fact, you could have 15 people in the door with very good CVs, qualifications on paper etc but impressions can be poor off of 50% of them in the 1st minute [nerves etc aside]. Unfortunately dressing smartly isn't common place but there have been some scandalous stuff come through my door also, not to mention people blatantly lying about things and just a general inability to act appropriately e.g. I have sat through a 10 minute rant from a teacher regarding the injustices of special needs provision [the type of rant where 30s would have succinctly got the point across]. Unfortunately the real good stories are unsuitable for this forum but trust me when I say it can be difficult and also comical at times. The reality is that you must show others you are good and not just know it yourself..........

Oh I'm sooooo interested now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Oh I'm sooooo interested now :)

You'd think dressing smartly would be something all candidates could achieve. How can they go wrong? And what could they possibly lie about ? Their qualifications?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

It seems the whole interview process could do with an overhaul. There are countless reports of interviewers being rude, not paying attention, lying about jobs, asking totally inappropriate questions. And The Driver has posted many times about how common poor behaviour by interviewees is. And since subsequent poor job performance of those chosen by interview panels is regularly cited as a reason for schools messing around with contracts to avoid giving CIDs, it appears the whole system is not fit for purpose.

On the dressing smartly issue, while I think a suit is the safest option, I have heard 3 principals/DPs complain that they aren't looking for office employees and that such attire is inappropriate for teaching interviews and would give a negative impression. It seems you can't win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭chippers

I agree the interview system needs to be changed. The 20 minute interviews where the interviewees try and learn answers off by heart beforehand is a terrible system. The whole 'tell me about a time when you had to.....'. Then the interviewee pauses, pretends to think for a couple of seconds and trots out an answer or derivation of it learnt before hand. It's all so fake. 20 minutes is not long enough for the panel to get a thorough understanding of the candidate and whether they are an appropriate fit for the role and vice versa it's not long enough to give the candidate a proper opportunity to present themselves and what they can bring to the role.

Advertisement