Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good read for Christmas

Options
  • 02-11-2010 9:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭

Any recommendations for a good read this year. Mine is cycling anatomy by Shannon Sovndal

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,594 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Any recommendations for a good read this year. Mine is cycling anatomy by Shannon Sovndal
    Any good pictures?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Actually name is a poor choice for the book. It's actually a list of exercises for working on specific muslces in the body which are used for different aspects of cycling - sprinting, climbing, on the flat etc. Saw it in Waterstones yesterday and was impressed. Good for the Winter if you can't get out on bike as much and want to build up core muslce areas. And yes, it has good pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Beasty wrote: »
    Any good pictures?
    9780736075879-CyclingAnatomy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

That's some pretty comprehensive road rash there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Junior

Lumen wrote: »
    That's some pretty comprehensive road rash there.

It's just a rip off of that Cippo skin suit !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I'm currently reading Full Tilt by Dervla Murphy. I like it.

Most recent Cycling books I've read

We were young and carefree - Fignon's Autobiography
    Fallen Angel Fausto Coppi Story
    Put me back on my bike - Tom Simpson Story
    Tour De Force - LA Book

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,594 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just started The Hour by Michael Hutchinson:

51IEQcB7CHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

Junior wrote: »
    Most recent Cycling books I've read

We were young and carefree - Fignon's Autobiography

Thoughts on this book please... is it worth getting

I just loved that era

Ta

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Bikerbhoy wrote: »
    Thoughts on this book please... is it worth getting

I just loved that era

Ta

Fantastic book, very easy on the brain.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement

Fantastically Fantastic book, ever so more poignant for his passing. Honest and brutally open about himself, made me read over some more stuff on what he had said about LeMond, and he's not far wrong on describing LeMond the cyclist.

I can't recommend the Fausto Coppi book highly enough either, on it's own it's a brilliant read, but if you use it to measure what current cyclists are at they are no different, he was pre-riding climbs and looking at stages of Grand Tours before Lance claimed to lay trade mark to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Screaming at the Sky by Tony Griffen

Autobiography of ex Clare hurler who cycled across Canada for cancer research after the death of his father

Only about 1/3 rd of the book deals with the cycle and not in a huge amount of the detail but its more about his personal journey which is the most interesting element of the book I think

Top class sport book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I highly recommend The Rider by Tim Krabbe.
    Also In Search of Robert Millar and the Coppi biog Fallen Angel.

I am reading Kellys biography by David Walsh at the present. Last time I read it was around 88/89. I managed to borrow a friends copy. Great read however it really should be updated to the end of his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

ROK ON wrote: »

May I have that back? Need to lend it to me bro. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Yep.
    Its on my desk. Am in Dublin Tue-Thur.
    Can meet some lunchtime or post it to you.
    Raam wrote: »
    May I have that back? Need to lend it to me bro. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I recently finished Bad Blood, I thought it was quite a good read.

51o0DSCaSCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭joxerjohn

Read "A Race for Madmen" by Chris Sidwells. Which is subtitled "the extraordinary history of the Tour de France". It provides details of the development of the tour and the main confrontations and rivalries from 1903 to 2009.

It was a good read and captures the spirit of the race I find myself going back to look at different bits of it from time to time.

From your list above the Fausto Coppi one looks interesting i think i'll put it on the Christmas list.

Anyone read boy racer the mark cavendish book and any comments ?

plenty of ideas on what i'm getting for Christmas so will be dropping hints to all family members shortly. think Laurent Fignon and Sean Kelly, possibly Tony Griffin are my top 3.

Sean Kelly's book is next to near impossible to get without paying thru the nose, that Tony Griffin book is only ok as cycling books go to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

"it's all about the bike" Robert Penn. Reading it at the moment. Really enjoying it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

I've just started "Come and Gone" by Joe Parkin. Too early to rate it yeat but if it's half as good as hins other book "Dog In A Hat" it'll be a cracker.

For light reading try "French Revolutions" by Tim Moore. I read it over and over.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭crumliniano

Fignon's When we were young ... is really great as already said. Great stuff about that wonderful era.

Krabbes Rider is fantastic.

I really enjoyed the Death of Marco Pantani too - a bit older I know but a good read..

Slightly off topic but assuming the fact that you like reading about cycling means you like reading about solo heroic/insane pursuits in general - I thought No Way Down by Graham Bowley about K2 expedition disaster was a great read and would be a good one for a christmas with bad weather keeping you indoors.

My wish list so far - Paris Roubaix - A Journey through hell by Phillippe Bouvet - anyone read this?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭aquanaut

Sorry about the spelling off the top of my head (and probably the name and the author), but I think its Joe Friel - The Cycling Training Bible :confused: - Im sure i'm the only person here who hasn't read it

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

+1
    I am reading Kellys biography by David Walsh at the present. Last time I read it was around 88/89. I managed to borrow a friends copy. Great read however it really should be updated to the end of his career.

I must have read that 9 or 10 times at this stage. Would love to see it updated, i'd read it another few times again.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭justo

07Lapierre wrote: »
    "it's all about the bike" Robert Penn. Reading it at the moment. Really enjoying it.
    + 1

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Fender76

Just finished 'In Search Of Robert Millar'... great book and fantastic subject.. I remember Millar from back in the day but I wasn't aware of his story or his personality... Highly recommend it...

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭cormpat

@crumliniano
    "Slightly off topic but assuming the fact that you like reading about cycling means you like reading about solo heroic/insane pursuits in general - I thought No Way Down by Graham Bowley about K2 expedition disaster was a great read and would be a good one for a christmas with bad weather keeping you indoors."

Likewise, "A Voyage For Madmen" by Peter Nichols is one of the best non-fiction books I've ever read. It's about the first solo round the world sailing race. Absolutely fantastic book.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Big thumbs up for 'No Way Down' too ..... bought and finished over Sat/Sun last weekend

Have started 'The Man who Swam the Amazon' and its shaping up nicely.

A Voyage for Madmen looks right up my street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Kirbdog

The Escape Artist by Matt Seaton is the best cycling related book I've read. It charts his progress as a cyclist from complete beginner to third cat to serious competitor. It's a true story and is both funny and sad.

I'd recommend The Rider too.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    9780736075879-CyclingAnatomy.jpg

Ordered this book from Amazon.co.uk along with a load of others and got it sent to my sister in London coz of free shipping. Of course, it was the one book she didn't ring over with her. Typical. She did get me Joe Firels Cycling Bible book so all's not lost. Will this be sufficient for developing a strength training program or are there better resources online/on paper?

On another note, I am reading Fignon's book and it's a mad. Taking coke before winning some race in Columbia. Didn't realise there were so much drugs in the sport.

Advertisement