Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco open Superstore in Naas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Was in this Tesco this morning. Traffic was really heavy and it was so busy inside the store, really difficult to get around with the trolley. Lovely supermarket though, and some great special offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I don't live in naas and I shop there ,and so does a lot of people I know from Clane ,Newbridge ,Celbridge etc...

Celbridge? Clane? Newbridge? Don't forget Maynooth and Lucan. They have Tesco shops already, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

The worst thing about the tescopoly is the way the treat suppliers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

laugh wrote: »
    The worst thing about the tescopoly is the way the treat suppliers.

what do they do to them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

what do they do to them ?

Use their buying power to dictate all terms, and move on when it's no longer possible to meet their unreasonable requirements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

They say in politics: "People get the government they deserve".

Is this also true of an economy? Will we get the one we deserve?

The employment boost for Naas is an easy-to-digest hard figure. The downside effects over the long term are not so easy to quantify. Time will tell for Naas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

The one in Maynooth is nearly too big as it is so cant imagine what the Naas one is like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

A shop with parking in Naas. Jaysus why does it take Tesco to think of these things.

topper75 wrote: »
    They say in politics: "People get the government they deserve".

Is this also true of an economy? Will we get the one we deserve?

The employment boost for Naas is an easy-to-digest hard figure. The downside effects over the long term are not so easy to quantify. Time will tell for Naas.

I imagine the downside for Naas town will be big. This Tesco superstore is on the outskirts so wont bring anymore people into the town really.
    The 250 or so jobs it creates could well be offset by closing down businesses in the town itself over time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

We need to learn from history and pay due heed to old adage that there is strength in diversity.

The same potato blight that took down 1 million of us in the mid 19th century also arrived elsewhere. Other countries were not devestated like us because of the variety of potatoes they grew. We were obsessed with the lumper. We paid dearly for that. The lumper was a wondrous variety. It yielded plenty of large spuds, each high in calories,and loved the Irish climate. All good, until ...

Is Tesco our lumper potato? Our 21st century monoculture folly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Laserhead

They do sell some pretty awesome Steak and Veg pies though. Mmmmm.

squod wrote: »
    A shop with parking in Naas. Jaysus why does it take Tesco to think of these things.

What about that monstrosity of a half built shopping centre in the middle of the town that has been just left there :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

What about that monstrosity of a half built shopping centre in the middle of the town that has been just left there :confused:

It's in the middle of naas ,thats the problem.I hate driving through the middle of naas the poxy traffic is unreal at anytime of the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

I live in Naas and the traffic / parking situation in the middle of town is pretty bad at the best of times so that will help Tesco. As for the shopping centre, I imagine it will be left as it is, for a long time....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

phasers wrote: »
    So what, it's providing jobs isn't it?

obviously providing jobs in such a large store - its the damage it does to the smaller shops in the area that should be watched - very closely !!!

continue to support them if you can = i know we are all price conscious these days by necessity etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Saadyst wrote: »
    Yeah you are right, but I don't see how it is Tesco's fault... they are just doing what business should be doing - making money and being profitable.

Makes it a lot more convenient for me, and I actually prefer established supermarkets like this: there's more on the shelves, things are typically organised better, cheaper, standard policies etc.

It's regrettable that local businesses start to suffer, but you can't disparage Tesco for that.

I don't want them to become a monopoly because I've no doubt that they'll abuse their position like any other business would - so I'm glad there's Dunnes, SQ etc to compete to an extent.

Can't comment about your quoted part, there's probably more to it than I really want to spend time caring about.

If memory serves me right and judging by their yearly profits since opening here in Ireland, you get the impression they are doing just a little more than making money and being profitable, seems like borderline profiteering based on their yearly profits tbh. They just hitched a ride on the rip off bandwagon tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

nice to see new jobs being provided

ha Superquinn cant see that poshy supermarket lasting much longer
    their robbers charging extra for everything give me Dunnes, Tesco etc
    anyday over Superquinn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Apparently its the biggest lingerie store Tescos in Europe

:)

It's in the middle of naas ,thats the problem.I hate driving through the middle of naas the poxy traffic is unreal at anytime of the day

The irony is that the half built shopping centre was once a large car park that catered for the town

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

gurramok wrote: »
    If its the biggest in Europe, why did they open it in a town of less than 20,000 people?:confused:
    the same reason that asda in enniskillen is the 6th busiest store in the
    whole wal mart group of 7000 stores not bad for a town of 15000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

123balltv wrote: »
    nice to see new jobs being provided

ha Superquinn cant see that poshy supermarket lasting much longer
    their robbers charging extra for everything give me Dunnes, Tesco etc
    anyday over Superquinn

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Apparently its the biggest in Europe, and they already have a regular Tesco in the town
    No recession for Tescos as the march towards world domination continues

one small step for Tesco, one big step for Naas.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,931 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Don't know about that place, is it a NAMA Development? I also heard the Osprey Hotel is in receivership, along with the Two Heritages in Laois, the Killeshin in Portlaoise, two Golf Clubs in Kildare Tesco's move is a brave one, Just wondered is there really a market for such a large supermarket.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Biggins wrote: »
    Great stuff. Thanks for the newsflash.

Really Biggins- was there any need to be like that? You seem like a nice enough guy so is there really any need to be smart? It doesn't suit you sir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Tesco is just super. As are all of our supermarkets. Loyalty to one over another is foolish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

24 hour anythings are completely useless cuz you can't buy 3am beer in them, stop the madness people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

1966 wrote: »
    obviously providing jobs in such a large store - its the damage it does to the smaller shops in the area that should be watched - very closely !!!

continue to support them if you can = i know we are all price conscious these days by necessity etc

They usually hire more staff than needed, put most of them on 6 month contracts. Run the usual story on every opening how there bringing so many jobs to the area then when it all dies down they get rid of a least of a third of the staff and wipe out most of the small competition or try to get remaining to move as tenents to the new Tesco shopping centre.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Don't know about that place, is it a NAMA Development? I also heard the Osprey Hotel is in receivership, along with the Two Heritages in Laois, the Killeshin in Portlaoise, two Golf Clubs in Kildare Tesco's move is a brave one, Just wondered is there really a market for such a large supermarket.

I would imagine the derelict shopping centre in the middle of the town is in NAMA, must have cost tens of millions. Aparently Dunnes Stores pulled out of the deal and they decided to stop contruction. It should be pulled down and restored to a car park.... town planners should be made pull it down manually

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Please hold on i must vomit, how people shop in Tesco is beyond me.
    The meat is all plastic crap, they have the lowest of the lowest quality.

• Advertisement

Please hold on i must vomit, how people shop in Tesco is beyond me.
    The meat is all plastic crap, they have the lowest of the lowest quality.

Thats true, their meat is of a poor quality

Advertisement