Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antec 300 Airflow

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Kevinf63 wrote: »
    I use MSI Kombustor (Furmark) for GFX stressing, same idea except a big MSI waving around the place.

No, not at all (Used to get it straight after some BSODs), It might of been a hot pocket of air that my fans weren't getting at because of the PSU fan sucking all the cold air out. I'm gonna test when I'm home later today. I stressed it already with Kombustor survives that and did the AIDA64 stress test, survived that for 10 minutes (stopped it at 10). Gona play a good few games different games over the week. I might just leave Bad Company 2 out of the test games list as its incredibly glitchy anyway with all the CTD's I get as well. Mind other than that, I have no real "new" games apart Source games fully updated. (orange box)

That's good to hear. When you're gaming no harm setting up the temp apps to enable logging i haven't already, just so you can rule out heat as an issue should it BSOD again.
    I might just just get another fan if it continues to BSOD for the reason (besides the temps) of cleaning hot pocket areas out of the case. My only intake fans are at the front of the case. By the time that air has gotten to the Mobo and GFX card it will be starting to get on the warm side. So this fan will also provide straight in cool air for the GFX Mobo, and maybe some CPU too if the GFX card doesn't hog it (My GFX card http://www.hitechreview.com/uploads/2010/03/R5850-Twin-Frozr-II.jpg) as well as cleaning out those hot pockets.

Yeah no harm. Looking at the photo though it's possible all right the PSU was the problem, the second (left) fan might easily have been starved of fresh air and inadvertently recycling some of the hot air from the right fan. Could explain the very hot air on BSOD.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Kevinf63

That's good to hear. When you're gaming no harm setting up the temp apps to enable logging i haven't already, just so you can rule out heat as an issue should it BSOD again.

Yeah no harm. Looking at the photo though it's possible all right the PSU was the problem, the second (left) fan might easily have been starved of fresh air and inadvertently recycling some of the hot air from the right fan. Could explain the very hot air on BSOD.

Yeah Ill try and log it with a app but which one? Speedfan faulty readings and same with HWMonitor except it cant log it.) I need an all in one logger.

Yeah, that would defo sound right, cause the PSU's fan was directly underneath the GFX's left and some of the right fan too.

Yeah Ill try and log it with a app but which one? Speedfan faulty readings and same with HWMonitor except it cant log it.) I need an all in one logger.

I'm not sure tbh, i use RealTemp but that's intel specific and I'm not sure on the alternatives. Have you tried CoreTemp? it has logging and I think support for most AMDs.

I'm not sure tbh, i use RealTemp but that's intel specific and I'm not sure on the alternatives. Have you tried CoreTemp? it has logging and I think support for most AMDs.

Yeah, I have CoreTemp didn't think that it did logging with graphs though, just the regular old screenshot of the app. It will do though. I got GPU observer by Orbmu2k. Both have a windows gadget so I'm grand.

Guess what guys....... BSOD...yep... Still happening this time while playing my newly bought CoD4 GOTY edition. Fairly hot air coming out of the fans too. I'm not positive as I didnt get much time to read it, but I'm pretty sure it said " System_service_exception ". Any ideas now? Anyone know how to read dump files? I could upload it to google documents. But it would take a long time.
    Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 6153

Additional information about the problem:
    BCCode: 3b
    BCP1: 00000000C0000005
    BCP2: FFFFF80003202327
    BCP3: FFFFF88009C55B80
    BCP4: 0000000000000000
    OS Version: 6_1_7600
    Service Pack: 0_0
    Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
    C:\Windows\Minidump\110510-21403-01.dmp
    C:\Users\Kevin\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-39031-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
    C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Were you monitoring your temps? Unfortunately, fairly hot air being expelled by the fans is not a good indication of core temps.

Were you monitoring your temps? Unfortunately, fairly hot air being expelled by the fans is not a good indication of core temps.
    @unregistered

I have the log here. Sorry for the delay. I got a new fan by the way for the side panel. Its 3 pin though and when I plug it into the mobo under the SYSTEMFAN_1 port, It was spinning at its max speed of 1800 RPM. I didn't want that so I installed speedfan. Booted speedfan up and it froze itself and then the whole PC. Then the screen went black when I went to end program.... And I had to manually reset....:(....

@unregistered

I have the log here. Sorry for the delay. I got a new fan by the way for the side panel. Its 3 pin though and when I plug it into the mobo under the SYSTEMFAN_1 port, It was spinning at its max speed of 1800 RPM. I didn't want that so I installed speedfan. Booted speedfan up and it froze itself and then the whole PC. Then the screen went black when I went to end program.... And I had to manually reset....:(....
    GPU temps?

GPU temps?
    Thats the CPU temps using Coretemp.

Sadly my PC is BSODing even when I'm just browsing the internet and watching a few vids online after I installed my case fan. I now have a theory that the mobo is kaput or the PSU voltages are spiking. Is anyone able to read mini dump files? I can supply them if needed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

You can install the M$ debugger to read your dunp files.
    64 bit version:
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/install64bit.mspx

Open your minidump and run the tool and it'll give you some crap at the bottom about the faulting module etc.

Sadly my PC is BSODing even when I'm just browsing the internet and watching a few vids online after I installed my case fan. I now have a theory that the mobo is kaput or the PSU voltages are spiking. Is anyone able to read mini dump files? I can supply them if needed.

Actually, that doesn't rule out your GFX card. Newer versions of Flash have hardware acceleration that runs on the GPU.

Actually, that doesn't rule out your GFX card. Newer versions of Flash have hardware acceleration that runs on the GPU.

Yeah, but it only started to BSOD during browsing after I plugged the case fan into my mobo, true it doesnt rule out the GFX, but the mobo is looking very suspect now.

5uspect wrote: »
    You can install the M$ debugger to read your dunp files.
    64 bit version:
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/install64bit.mspx

Open your minidump and run the tool and it'll give you some crap at the bottom about the faulting module etc.

Took a look at the mini-dump file. It said it was probably caused by Ntoskrnl.exe ........... Which means it doesn't know what the hell caused it. Thats the file it usually blames if it cant find anything else....:(....

Thats the CPU temps using Coretemp.
    I meant give the gpu temps as well. Have you got a differet gfx card that you could use? Or get a lend?

Post full system specs actually.

Post full system specs actually.
    Heres my setup.

Bought From Pixmania (Shipped)
    CPU type: AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition 3.2Ghz
    GPU type: MSI R5850 Twin Frozr II 1Gb (I use a DELL monitor)

Bought From Komplett (Pickup)
    RAM type: Corsair XMS3 CM3X2G1333C9 4Gb kit DDR3 1333Mhz CL9
    PSU type: Coolermaster Real Power M620 620 Watt
    Mobo type: Gigabyte GA-790XT-USB3
    Case type: Antec 300 w/ 2 outtake fans(low)and 3 intake fans(med) Inside
    DVD drive: Optiarc DVD RW AD-7243S SATA CD ROM

Bought From Harvey Normans
    Microsoft Comfort Mouse 4500 with Bluetrack Technology and Intellipoint.

**Note** My RAM was sent to be RMA'ed a while ago with 20,000 errors. Unknown cause...

• My GFX card now (with new side panel case fan) reaches a temperature of 56*C when stressed using MSI Kombustor.
    • Using CoreTemps, my CPU reads that it reaches a maximum temp of 54*C when playing a game when stressed its 60*C at most(warm nite).

EDIT: Just played a bit of a game called Lead and Gold. Fairly good looking game, gets good FPS. I press the windows button look at the GPU temps....... 64*C..... How could a "stress" test give 56*C and a normal game 64*C?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I'd guess at defective PSU, defective mobo or defective drivers.

Solitaire wrote: »
    I'd guess at defective PSU, defective mobo or defective drivers.

Hey guys, I know it seems a bit risky but, would it be possible to fix the problem if I flash the GFX card BIOS with this? I know its meant to actually unlock the overclocking capabilities on my card, but it could remove a defect in the GFX BIOS that causes the BSODs.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I'd test the system with another graphics card first!

• Advertisement

Did you fully stress-test the system when you bought it? Seems like something that should have been picked up if it happens all the time after a few hours! But that's hindsight for you.

Solitaire wrote: »
    I'd test the system with another graphics card first!
    Okay, I have an old Nvidia 8600 GTS in my old PC. Will that do? Ill remove all the ATI drivers and that craic with driver sweeper. Then install the nvidia one and use it for a couple of days. Sound good? I prob wont have a proper verdict though till the end of next week. Ill start doing that now. Wish me luck...

P.S. Just realised that this problem has gone way too long...:)... 53rd post...

Okay, I have an old Nvidia 8600 GTS in my old PC. Will that do? Ill remove all the ATI drivers and that craic with driver sweeper. Then install the nvidia one and use it for a couple of days. Sound good? I prob wont have a proper verdict though till the end of next week. Ill start doing that now.

Its Friday and over the week the PC hasn't suffered from BSOD's of any sort. Looks like it could be the Graphics card....:(.... I'll leave it till Sunday and RMA it on Monday if necessary. Could be waiting a while... Do you think Ill get it back before Christmas if I go now?

Its so demoralising playing games on my 8600 GTS. Struggles with CoD4 with constant micro-stutter with the shadows and glow on and a slight bit of anti-aliasing.... Everything apart from textures are on low or turned off for Online.

Once again, I have to give a big shout to all the people who helped me over the past...12 days?...:eek:... Unregistered, the untitled user, nvus, nuxx, uber pixie, Effluo, 5uspect and finally Solitaire. Thanks for everything. Although I'm not finished with this thread, cause I need to write back if RMAing it fixed the problem(s), I'll forget if I leave it till later to thank you all.

Okay guys, its Tuesday and I sent out a online RMA request to MSI. Just hoping they will receive it. By the way fixed the 120mm case fan full speed (1800 RPM) problem. I simply just removed the CMOS battery and put it back in again then set in BIOS to defaults. and now its running at 800 RPM. Its really quiet....:)...

I'm now wondering could that of been the problem? That somehow and some time ago somebody could of mucked around with the system? Or maybe it just came like that? I'll never know...:rolleyes:... Anyway another week with the new (HD5850 Twin Frozr II) in the system now and see how it goes.

Its the Christmas holidays, and its still not working. I got a bit of an 'elitist' present, if that's a word, An Asus Xonar DX Sound Card and it sure is tasty. Pity MSI never replied to my emails and same with Gigabyte. So, I still have these blasted BSOD components... Upon installing the sound card the side case fan started going really fast again (at 1800 RPM = max speed)... So multiple parts must be broken. I must of done something that triggered loads of parts to break... But what I don't know... I have noticed that the games that tend to BSOD are ones that take advantage of DX10 features and up such as Crysis Warhead, Bad Company 2 and Metro 2033 etc. I will be RMAing the graphics card and maybe the Mobo soon after New Year's.

A Merry Christmas to all and a Happy New Year,

Kevin Finnegan.
    The man of many problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,845 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Helps to know what your BSOD codes are.

As for your temps they're all seemingly normal. the only thing i would say about your OP is you have more exhaust that intake and that wasnt good.

I have the Antec 900 case; a 200mm intake fan on top, 2 front intakes, and 1 exaust, along with the PSU in the same position, with only an inch or two gap between the GPU and the PSU intake fan. Runs fine. Positive Pressure though, as someone else pointed out. Only way to fly. My standard temps are between 25-30C, my ambient temp is about 70F.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67209505&postcount=431

those are my pics. the card is now seated in the lower slot, where it can benefit from x16 on the board.

I think I may of solved this case. The problem lied within Driver Sweeper. When I was using driver sweeper for my graphic drivers, I think it deleted a directory or two too far. My problem is very very similar to this guy's... As you can see he sorted it out by cleanly installing on a old HDD, and then moving the directories he listed and its files over.

Unfortunately I could not do this, as I kept getting an "access denied" error despite being Admin. So I had to do a clean install again... :rolleyes:..... I reformatted the hard drive and installed Windows 7, its updates and added in the correct drivers, and hey presto! Fixed PC. Hasn't BSOD since. One quirk I have had though sometimes when using certain programs I get a "unhandled exception" error from moving program files about. I'm not too bothered by it and I usually sort it out by moving it back to its original spot. Once again, thanks to all on Boards.ie who helped me and I hope you enjoy the rest of the Holidays!

Kevin Finnegan.

Advertisement