Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Blog/Log of g0g

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭g0g

Route: An Post Meath Heritage Cycle Tour 2011

Despite being absolutely banjaxed I’ve decided to write this one up today while it’s still fresh in my head! This is now the 4th cycling “event” we’ve done this year so I have more to compare with at this stage! Thoroughly enjoyable day overall, although I would still have the odd suggestion for making it better. However it’s tough to fault a day that finishes up with you sitting on the grass beside a castle in the sun!

Drove out to Trim earlier and was pleased by the size of the carpark. A little bit bumpy to drive across in parts with rear car rack but I reckoned it was sturdy enough. Was a bit nervous by the lack of carpark marshals but people seemed to have enough cop on to leave enough space between the rows. I was fairly far across but had a feeling I’d be towards the end of the finishers so didn’t worry about traffic later on!

20110724route.jpg

We were late enough getting to the start area, but still had some time to enjoy the great atmosphere! It’s the biggest group start I’ve done so far and it was good fun. Once again though like with the recent Wicklow Peaks Challenge the pace surprised me from the start of and throughout the day! The main bunch disappeared fairly quick, and but for people getting punctures from various groups during the day (and them all waiting) we might not have seen too many people after the start!

Was pleased to average around 27km/h for the first hour, but still so many others seemed faster. I found on the W200 there were much more slow riders, but today they were flying (relative to what I’m used to). This isn’t a complaint, more an observation! I thought at this stage I was building to a good pace, but clearly I was wrong! Anyway the fast pace meant we ate up the first 50km fast enough and got to the food stop. I was praying for chocolate or energy drinks, but the water / bananas / healthy bars hit the spot well enough!

20110724stats.jpg

Can’t remember if it came before or after the first stop, but Slane Hill was a good enjoyable climb! Before I forget, as many people have said, the marshalling at junctions was fantastic today! We were able to freely continue on at nearly every junction all day with the traffic stopped for us! Towards the end there were a few un-manned junctions, but I think the marshals might have gotten bored waiting for the last cyclists!

When we finally got to the food stop it was obvious the place had pretty much been cleared out! Apparently hot pasta and sambos had been devoured by our quicker (and hungrier!) fellow entrants! Thankfully there were a few cous cous salad tubs which did the job and some carrot cake!

Soon enough after that stop I realised just how wrecked I was. Absolutely exhausted! I don’t know if it was the pace or the temperature or what, but my body felt drained! But I battled on, determined not to be beaten by 160km!!! That was a nasty hill after the food stop up the rubbishy road! Again there was something cultural/historical on the way up, but I dunno what it was! Steep descent the far side was hairy in parts but we made it!

Most of the rest of the cycle back was uneventful and I was VERY glad to make it back in one piece! As predicted, the field was empty enough by then which helped for getting home! We weren’t quite the last ones in but we were close enough to it!

I don’t mean to have a go at the people of Meath as they can’t exactly change the geography of their county, but it’s not the most fun place in the world to cycle. Maybe I’m just spoilt having grown up beside the Wicklow Mountains and not living just 20 minutes on bike from Dublin Mountains. Today’s cycle just didn’t have any “wow” views along the way. It was simply endless small hills and zig-zagging around random country roads. It simply doesn’t compare to mountain cycling and I can imagine the ROK and various other cycles being so much more impressive. Sorry if this sounds b1tchy, but had I not had a gang to chat with all day I’d have been bored off my tree in parts! I think maybe all day there were a couple of lakes, a view of the Mourne Mountains in the distance, the nice view of Slane on approach, and that was about it! Rant over! See point 1 in my suggestions below!

Overall it was a grand day out, but I think I’ll look for other events next year for a bit of variety!

Jersey Sightings:
    Zero, although I think I might have seen xz (if he has a Planet X bike and got a puncture today?) in a Bray Wheelers jersey.

Highlights of the cycle:
    1) Start/Finish area being closed to traffic all day!
    2) Good few photographers (hopefully I finally find a good photo of me on bike!)

3) No punctures for any of us!
    4) Not being the very last ones back!
    5) Not being the poor sod who got his 5th puncture at the last water stop!
    6) Sunny later part of the day!
    7) As a package the event is absolutely fantastic value! € 31.50 for a nice jersey, food and all the people involved during the day!
    8) Excellent signposts for turns the length of the route!

Low points of the cycle:
    1) Being wrecked beyond belief after second food stop

2) HRM for my GPS appears to have stopped working
    3) No food at finish other than the leftovers from the food stop that were shipped back to Trim!

4) It was depressing seeing how fast the front guys in the 100km were going when they passed us out – absolutely flew by!
    5) Starting GPS too late – missed first 1km – gggrrrr!

Event Criticisms/Suggestions:
    A few thoughts…..
    1) Put signs along the route in big writing showing the interesting places you’re passing. The county lacks any decent mountain scenery, so at least highlight all the things we passed today! I wouldn’t have known we were up the Hill of Tara but that someone in our group pointed it out!

2) Stock food stations with more food for the poor people at the back!
    3) CHOCOLATE BARS and Energy Drinks needed!!! (or anything else with sugar!)
    4) Sweep the gravel on fast corners if there are marshals there!
    5) Leave food stations open later! The last water stop we got to around half three I reckon. One person there mentioned they were meant to have closed at 3! I’d have gone nuts if it’d been closed! If they don’t want slightly slower people entering then they should advertise it! We had gotten to the cut-off time at least 30-45 minutes earlier than the cut-off!
    6) Either there were no photographers at the finish line or else they had given up before we finished! It’d make a lovely souvenir so they should have been there or hung on until the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

Yes, that was me you saw,I do have a Planet-X, but fortunately for me, it wasn't my puncture, I was just on pumping duty, being the biggest of the 4 of us :(

xz wrote: »
    Yes, that was me you saw,I do have a Planet-X, but fortunately for me, it wasn't my puncture, I was just on pumping duty, being the biggest of the 4 of us :(
    Ah ok, you guys flew past us with those Ballybohereen (name was something like that - loads of them in yellow jerseys) cyclists just before joining the main road in Slane and don't think we saw you again all day! Might catch up with you if we make the Joe Loughman this year whenever it's on! would love to give the 125km route a go on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

Great log. I will probably borrow some of your routes when my bike arrives. I may set up a log of my own also.

Well done on the sportives. I plan to try a few maybe next summer.

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »
    Great log. I will probably borrow some of your routes when my bike arrives. I may set up a log of my own also.

Well done on the sportives. I plan to try a few maybe next summer.
    Thanks! :) Would be delighted if anyone else got some benefit from it! Overall I've enjoyed the process of keeping the diary - helps motivate me in a roundabout way! This Saturday weather-permitting will be the Orwell event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

g0g wrote: »
    Thanks! :) Would be delighted if anyone else got some benefit from it! Overall I've enjoyed the process of keeping the diary - helps motivate me in a roundabout way! This Saturday weather-permitting will be the Orwell event.

Is it not on Sunday?

ROUTE

Thanks Kav0777 for spotting that one! For some reason I was convinced it was Saturday but luckily have been able to change plans for the weekend to fit it in. I'm hoping (a) the weather's good and (b) this Orwellian crowd aren't as bad as the recent thread on them suggests! :rolleyes:

Anyways, above is link to most recent route on Friday. I'm really happy with this one because I decided to try and take the pace up a bit. 26.9 km/h for a kinda hilly route out to Bray and 28.7 km/h for a flatter route home. I really enjoyed the cycle out, although choosing for a route around Marlay Park on the eve of a dance music gig while wearing lycra probably wasn't my best idea ever! Fortunately insults was as much as got thrown at me! :)

Probably won't get out this week until Sunday unfortunately, so my leg's might be a bit rusty!:eek:

Route: Orwell Randonee 2011

Firstly, Garmin Connect isn't working for me at the moment, so will add the route at a later stage!

A lot has been said on the main thread so I don't know how much I'll be able to add, but this event defo deserves a long and positive review because it was a fantastic day! Any other organisers around the country could learn a lot from these guys! With the exception of a lack of markings on the first and last 2km or so I don't know how they could've made it better!

Cycled up from Kilmainham early, partly to warm up and partly because with q new car this week I couldn't be arsed figuring out how to reconfigure the bike rack. Plus anyway it'd have taken longer between unloading and loading the car each way versus 11.5km on the saddle each way! Met a good few Boardsies at the sign in (jimm, daragh_, inquitus, manafana etc) – there were more of us I reckon than any club other than Orwell! Nice to have some tea/biscuits etc before starting out!

I know the start was set for 09:00, but we decided to head off just before a quarter to! Yes, I realise there's meant to be a group start, but the reality is that given our slow pace if we start with the group we might not see anyone else for the rest of the day! Equally the lads who set out at the front would have no one to pass along the way and feel good about themselves! Another valid point is that the photographers ( no offense meant!) tend not to hang around for the people at the back of the field, so I'd have missed out on that later in the day too without heading early!

The four of us headed out with three other women and stuck together for a few km then split into groups. We took the wrong start and return, turning left at the Beacon Hotel then right at the lights after crossing the M50, but sure it's all the same distance anyway! Daragh_ and his mate passed us before getting to Stepaside – cheeky fecker for having called me a cheat for leaving early!!!!!

My own group of 4 also split up along there, and two of us stuck together for the day. After the tough climb out of Enniskerry we were paired with Pam from Swords CC and headed up towards Glencree. We couldn't keep up with her in the end and left her go ahead. Lucky for her we caught just before the left turn for going down to Powerscourt – the marshalls didn't realised she was in the event and let her go straight so we called her back. That descent there was much easier than expected – lots of gravel but not a problem at my speed!

I was looking forward to a challenge in this “wall” and it didn't disappoint! What a vision as you take the right turn and see the very narrow steep hill in front of you. Given our head start I was the third person of the day up that hill, so got a few good photographs on the way up. I stopped at the top to wait for the other lad and at that moment the top group passed me (fast!!). I remember wondering who on earth would be right at the front with some banger of a bike with so much glowing tape on it you could see from space! I gather this was keep_her_lit! The next hills after the wall was nearly as painful again! All alog this stretch the top roughly 50 people I reckon passed by us. Got a few hellos from fellow jersey wearers and also others.
    IMG_7623.JPG

I've done Sally Gap from the “hard side” in recent times once so had time to brace myself for this one! I think on the way up there was some nutjob going up and down a 200m stretch as training – takes all sorts! My god the waterstop was a welcome break! Nice to have some Orwellian women cheering us in, and then bananas, mountain dew, water and music from the cars. Perfect time for a wuick energy boost! The descent from there is a lovely stretch, but seeing that crashed guy at the bottom was quite a shock. Hope he as alright. It's weird when you pass a crash where there are already people gathered and making calls. Are you meant to stop or what? I couldn't help the asituation so headed on.

Nothing much happened from there on to Laragh. The photographer got a good angle somewhere between the crossroads and the Laragh descent.

IMG_8569.JPG

That descent was great fun – think I hit low 60s (km/h) although someone flew past me a fair bit faster! It was weird having the food stop nearly two thirds of the way through the route. I suppose it made the last section easier, but it certainly meant the last 20km before the food stop were tough enough! I struggled a bit on the bad road from Laragh to Rathdrum and then Rathdrum itself is always tough with that hill! Like most people I was grateful passing the junction with the guy who said 3km to the food stop!

What a food stop! It was like waiter service!! One person giving my orange, one “parking my bike” and one refilling my water bottles! Two packs of sambos, a cuppa soup, can and some jaffa cakes charged me right back up! As I was chatting with jimm outside another lovely lady filled my hands with jelly babies – I could've stayed there all day!

The Shay Elliott was tough enough going after so many hills. I know the website said around 1,500m climbing for the day, but my total was over 2,000m in the end! Granted I had a bit of a cycle from home, but no more than I reckon 50-100m! As always, my target was to avoid getting off a walking on any of the hills and I managed it again! Once again good to see a photographer on the way up to grab a couple more snaps!

IMG_9120.JPG

We flew down the descent from there – really enjoyed it the whole way down, despite being stuck behind a car for a while til they let us past. As someone commented in the main thread, that marshall at the potholes should be given an award – that's serious dedication – he must've been there ages! Brilliant also having traffic stopped at the bottom so we flew on to Laragh.

Thankfully Jimm had let me know back at the food stop that the return journey was via Djouce again and not the main Roundwood-Kilmac Road so we knew to be prepared for some last hills! Somewhere along there we passed poor Manafana who wasn't in the best of shape. I'm never sure about speeding on the hill down from Djouce with the build-up of farms etc at the bottom, but we decided to let go and get up some speed after all that climbing! Ht around 75km/h along the straight drop. Later on for the turns I knew to be careful especially at the merge, but again thankfully there were two marshalls stopping people! Last little climb of the day was up to Powerscourt before Enniskerry.

My god the rain that showed up in Enniskerry was epic! Don't know why I even bothered putting on the windsheeter! Not knowing how long it would last we just headed on. There were literally rivers flowing along the road until we got to the Texaco garage the far side of the village. From there on it was autopilot most of the way back. As I already mentioned, we took the wrong way for the last couple of km, but I won't lose any sleep over that! Good to get more photos for the finish line!

Then to top it all off a burger van! How satisfying after usually seeing these things charging rip-off prices at festivals/concerts/events to have one serving us all for free! The obliging man even fried some onions for my burger! Hung around the finish for a while then headed home, feeling surprisingly energetic after such a long cycle!

Thanks to all involved in the organisation and fingers crossed I'm around when it's on next year again!

Jersey Sightings:
    See above, too many to mention! Lots of Boardsies knocking around with no jerseys too. I wonder what the final Boards count for the event was!

Highlights of the cycle:
    1) Everything!
    2) Friendly organisers (despite their recent reputation!!!!)
    3) Great route with some really good climbs
    4) Excellent marshalling!
    5) Well-marked route (other than very start and very end)
    6) The food stop experience!
    7) Weather held out most of the day!
    8) In a weird way the torrential rain shower added to the day (don't ask me how!)

Low points of the cycle:
    1) Our group got a bit split up which was messy...
    2) Seeing that poor guy buried i the hedge still stuck to his bike

Event Suggestions (not that they really need to improve!):
    A few thoughts…..
    1) Better road markings at the start and end
    2) Include chocolate in the food plans! The krispie bars during the W200 were great and I got Toblerone on a cycle last year!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Great write up gOg
    Another valid point is that the photographers ( no offense meant!) tend not to hang around for the people at the back of the field

As one of the slow coaches at the back, I can say that the photographers were very patient and snapped all us stragglers too. I thought I was in around the very back until I saw all the shots assembled and there were quite a few behind being snapped, so I'm guessing everyone who attended is in a number of pictures. (Again, WW200 organisers please take note, a couple of nice shots can be as important as a medal, not that I ever received that either!)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I am officially starting the "Get gOg on a road bike Campaign!" :D

• Advertisement

smacl wrote: »
    Great write up gOg

As one of the slow coaches at the back, I can say that the photographers were very patient and snapped all us stragglers too. I thought I was in around the very back until I saw all the shots assembled and there were quite a few behind being snapped, so I'm guessing everyone who attended is in a number of pictures. (Again, WW200 organisers please take note, a couple of nice shots can be as important as a medal, not that I ever received that either!)

Thanks! :) Glad to hear you got a few snaps, although I know the other two we set out with only appeared in one or two photos on the wall and nothing from there on. I guess it's the way things turn out with such a spread out group of people - they can't be everywhere at once! As for W200 medals, I had been emailing them and received mine last week, so I'm sure they could sort you out!
    Inquitus wrote: »

I'm already running that campaign a bit myself, but unfortunately it's tough to justify it to my wife. (a) the bike takes up a lot of space in an already-full apartment and (b) I only bought the hybrid just over a year ago! I guess if I came across a decent cheap secod hand road bike I could pick it up and hide it from herself in the underground carpark!!! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Inquitus wrote: »

Hear hear. As long as it's Boards Pink.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

g0g nice put name to face as i had forgotten boards name, i didnt get past enniskerry, i had petrol in the tank, but my left leg wasnt having it and called it day at bottom of enniskerry, crazy thing is how many people passed me from bottom of SE till i stopped i was going very slow, glad i got up SE even thou it probably killed me, i have the climbing legs just need work on my speed etc.

Thanks to the several people who slowed past me to ask was i alright.

g0g road bike is way go, you'll be doing wall in your sleep then. I got in a good few snaps being in middle, found further bike you where thou less team riding you do, did find the small climb to food stop though and got dropped by the 3lads we had groups together to ride to food stop.

Great day out thou.

No sign of a road bike yet and equally not much sign of me out cycling either! Last cycle was Tuesday 16th August so may as well throw that one up as I didn't log it at the time. It was a pretty good cycle, the highlight of which (as usual!) was flying down Cruagh Road from the viewpoint carpark there. Past a Boardsie heading up as I flew down the hill but was concentrating on yet another attempt (in vain!) to pass the 80km/h bracket! That hill defo isn't steep enough to do the job with my legs! Only problem now is badminton season is starting up again so tough enough to get to that and juggle with young baby. Fingers crossed there'll be some more events first.

I'm hoping before end of year to do the "Sally Gap Challenge". Some of the fit feckers on here probably do this every weekend but we reckon it'd be a good challenge for relative newcomers to the sport, including a stop in Laragh for lunch. Probs about 150km roundtrip if I add in the cycle to/from Kilmainham. I'd have liked to not go down and up each hill at a time, but that would have made it a mad distance! Will report on it when we finally organise the thing!

Lastly, can ANYONE help out with a dodgy Garmin file? I'm so annoyed but the file from the Orwell Randonee won't upload to Garmin Connect no matter how many times I try! Any geeks on here know how to fix them? I'm attaching the zipped .fit file created by my Edge 500.

Sunday 11th September 2011 – 08:10

Route: Joe Loughman Randonnee 2011 (Bray Wheelers)

So here I am, a year on from the first cycling event I completed, and this time we decided to go over the longer route. I guess I better start with my excuses… haven’t been out in ages, strong headwind at times on a crucial uphill plus I was up a good bit the night before with the baby! Mainly though I’m just out of practice! I had a great day out but genuinely I think I found the cycle tougher than the Wicklow 200!

20110911route.jpg

As with the recent Orwell cycle we (2) decided to set out as early as possible. I had ideas about going at 07:45 (08:30 was official start) but the building wasn’t even open when I got out to Bray! J By ten past eight we were ready and headed off. Probably would’ve been easier joining a group to head down the N11 in those windy conditions but we battled on ourselves. One other lad must have left early enough and he flew past us.

In my head I saw Slieve Mann and Shay Elliott x 2 as the main challenges for the day, but I forgot to include the climb up from Ashford to Laragh plus the cruel hill we did before Slieve Mann into the equation! Thankfully weather stayed reasonably ok all day – few patches of drizzly rain but also the odd brief bit of sunshine!

I wouldn’t blame this on Bray Wheeler’s, but the route was cursed with dogs in parts! On the way up the hill beyond Ashford I had my first uphill sprint test in a long time. Loyalty to friends goes out the window when dogs are chasing – it’s just survival of the fittest!

20110911stats.jpg

It was a little different to last year when there were loads of motorbike marshalls along the route. I know we left early, but even later on in the day when most of them had caught us I didn’t see much change. I assume it was because of the low entry level and other things like the rugby being on the same day. Didn’t really matter too much as they weren’t the busiest roads in most parts plus it was quiet enough most of the day.

After Laragh we hit our next hill. It was my second time up Shay Elliott from the “wrong side” and unlike last time when I was surrounded by flies it was gloomy weather at the time so not too many flies! It wasn’t planned at all and didn’t really mean anything, but we reached the summit just before the “leaders” caught up with us. I thought I liked to fly down hills but these lads showed me how it was done! That said, they had stopped at the pub/hotel at the bottom of the hill, not knowing where the food stop was. Needless to say they shot off again into the distance when I told them where it was!

The food stop was as good as expected, and they even managed to produce some Toblerone before we set off! I was surprised really because even when we left there were very few people there. I’m guessing maybe the main bunch didn’t set out at 08:30 in the end and it was later?

Sometime around now the pain started!!! I was aware of a hill before Slieve Mann but no one told me it was the hill from hell combined with a headwind! It started out dead steep and then just dragged on for ages. I have no idea what it’s called, but I won’t have great memories of it due to another dog incident on the way up, plus on the way down I had the life scared out of me by a dog the size of a horse behind a not-too-high fence! That said, the views up there were fantastic with the purple gorse (or whatever it is!) etc.

Unfortunately I was still wrecked after the descent from here and then had to start on Slieve Mann! It was NOT a welcome site! At one point my speed stayed around 4km/h, slower than walking! Doesn’t help when old lads are flying by not a bother on them! My usual stubbornness meant I stayed in the saddle all the way up the hill to the summit where I stuffed my face with gel and jellies!

20110911image.jpg

I don’t know if it was the gel/jellies or the knowledge of only having one big hill left, but I didn’t find Shay Elliott as bad as the two hills before it! I think we had a bit of a tailwind which must have helped! As hoped, there was a car there with supplies. Whilst sadly there was no Toblerone he did have enough other junk food to tank up again!

Now from here to Bray should have been relaxed except (a) I was banjaxed and (b) we tried a stupid experiment!!! Just before Roundwood a big BW group of 9 flew past us. I was certain I saw xz in the group (big guy on a Planet X as he described himself) who said he doesn’t go too fast a pace, so we decided to try tagging on for a change and see how we got on. My god it nearly killed me! Whilst on the flat our average increased up to >30km/h, on the hills they just powered along and it was a struggle to keep up. We managed a few km, but despite it making a difference on the flats it was just killing me on the hills and I had nothing left in the tank!

We rolled along the rest of the way back, excluding the obligatory sprint down the side of the Sugar Loaf! It was only in the clubhouse that I realised “xz” was not in fact xz but some other bloke, but I thanked him for the brief tow anyway! J Food at the end was very good, but I didn’t hang around as I was wrecked!

One other Boardsie was there at the finish who I had nodded to at top of SE on way back plus he was leaving clubhouse when I got there.

Overall a great challenging cycle, but I’m still recovering I reckon!

Jersey Sightings:
    One – didn’t get his name!

Highlights of the cycle:
    1) 5 climbs and still alive!

2) Good food
    3) Joining the back of a fast-moving (to us anyway!) group
    4) Surviving it!

Low points of the cycle:
    1) First dog chase

2) Second dog chase
    3) No Toblerone on SE on way home!
    4) Not being able for the hills at times!

Thoughts for the day / Random News:
    I’m still hoping to do the Sally Gap Challenge mentioned in my last post before the year is out! Think I need a new rain jacket but so many different ones to choose from. Trying to find balance between not spending a fortune and not ending up soaked after a brief shower! My current Dare2Be windsheeter is laughable in the slightest of rains!

I got a strange amount of sympathetic comments during the day about my bike! Are hybrids THAT pants!? One guy laughed on the way up a hill saying something like “swap you” and then just laughing. Someone at the food stop said “now there’s a good bike for all types of use” and another complimented me entering an event not on a road bike. I know from previous discussions that they’re not as good as road bikes, but surely there’s enough variety of road bikes that some are rubbish compared to others!?!?

Why advertise a 110km route as 120km!? (or did I take a wrong turn!?)

Other Training Last Week (to help me keep track)
    Nada! And there won’t be much (if any!) this week neither!

Small random update. Finally got that Orwell Randonnee file fixed by a guy on the Garmin forums. I'm delighted as it was the only ride I had potentially missed out on. Granted it now shows as an "Edge 800" and the hills etc don't show on Garmin Connect, but better than nothing! I'm trying to record everything on this log so here're the stats...

Garmin Link

Strava Link

Have to say I'm really liking the look of Strava. Be great to link up with some fellow bloggers and compare our times on the hills!

Fingers crossed back out on the bike this Sunday for a spin. one of the lads is saying I have to give this hill a go from the back of Marlay Park - can't remember the name but it's well-known and meant to be togh enough! Will report back if I make it up/down!

Sunday 25th September 2011 – 08:40

Route: Sally Gap – Devil’s Elbow – Lamb Doyle’s - Home

Once again I’m a little behind with things, but it’s probably because I wanted to forget how much I suffered last Sunday! It was two weeks since the previous cycle and I was just back from a (lazy) week off and I assumed I’d be grand…. but I wasn’t! Headed out with a couple of friends, one who commutes one day and the other had been doing a good bit of cycling recently.

20110925route.jpg

I was already feeling tired by the Merry Ploughboy – not a good sign! To add to my problems there was a headwind most of the way to Sally Gap. After we passed the viewpoint carpark at the top of Stocking Lane I just tucked in behind the other pair and let them do the heavy work! Even at that I was still falling a bit behind. It’s so frustrating to build up your fitness during a season and then suddenly it feels like you’re back to square one again!

I battled on and we made it all the way to Sally Gap. Daragh_ flew past us in the other direction somewhere along the way there. Rather than come back the exact same route we turned right at Glencree and headed down towards the Devil’s Elbow. I cursed the lads for that decision as I struggled up the hills before Johnny Fox’s! This entry really is just sounding like one long rant! J

One of the lads recently tried Kilmashogue Hill for the first time and was trying to convince the other two of us to give it a go. I had been fully intent on including it at the start of the day, but there was no way I was going to have my first attempt with absolutely zero energy from the start based on what I’d heard about it so I pretty much headed home from there.

Jersey Sightings:
    Daragh_

Highlights of the cycle:
    1) Good chats

2) Making it home
    3) The gradual downhill from Glencree

Low points of the cycle:
    1) Every single hill!

2) The wind!
    3) My legs!

To long ago to remember what I was thinking other than “get me home!”

Nothing!

Saturday 1st October 2011 – 08:40

Route: Stocking Lane – Johnny Fox’s – Lamb Doyle’s – Kilmashogue Hill

As per thread in the main forum I didn’t bother my bum fixing a broken spoke during the week, so thankfully Holyboy saved me at the last minute and opened Bee Cycles early yesterday to sort out the problem! Watching him do the job made me realise it’s both tricky work plus I don’t (and probably never will!) have half the tools needed to do these jobs, so it’s probably better leaving to the pros! Incidentally also saw Lumen’s mini racer in the shop – mad little yoke!

20111001route.jpg

So anyway after getting the bike fixed it was POURING rain outside and I was a little bit tempted to head home, but I can’t be picky on what mornings I go cycling with a young baby in the house so I continued on! I was sporting my latest investment – Aldi’s finest winter jacket, and what better way to test it out!

As you can probably imagine I didn’t ass a whole lot of other bikes on the road today! I was in a good mood because I felt I had more energy than last week plus in a weird way the rain was refreshing! I can honestly say I didn’t mind being soaked to the bone by the end of the cycle because (a) how much better I felt than last week and (b) I never got cold at all!

I was delighted to make it to the top of Stocking Lane – thought I pushed a bit on the way up, but it was far from my fastest Strava time so far this year. Felt a bit sorry for the Wicklow Tour bus stopping at the carpark – you couldn’t see a thing with the weather! Thought for the day – does surface water slow you down on a wet day, or is it just that you cycle more carefully?

Next I headed across to Fox’s and turned left like my usual weekday evening spins. By the time I got to Marlay Park I still had energy so decided to give Kilmashogue Hill my first bash. My god it’s a long slog! Now granted I’m far from the fastest person to ever climb that hill, but I was delighted to make it up without walking at all! It really does get tough in parts and is definitely the toughest hill I’ve experienced so far within Co Dublin. It was probably made tougher by the fact that I was cycling up against a stream of rainwater most of the way! The only disappointing thing was coming down – it was so steep and my disc brakes are dodgy at the best of times so I had to take it very slowly!

Uneventful enough from there back home. I headed across to Cruagh Road and came down that way. Dodgy enough coming home through the mini-floods. A few buses/trucks I passed heading the other way were sending enough spray across the road to nearly put you off balance! A couple of deeper parts I had to put my hand out to slow the car behind so that I could pull towards the middle of the road! I think people were pretty understanding in general to be honest!

Four weeks now til we hopefully do our Sally Gap Challenge, so I’m glad to see I’m feeling fitter for the hills again!

Jersey Sightings:
    No one!

Highlights of the cycle:
    1) The rain (strangely!)

2) Trying and conquering a new hill!
    3) No bad headwinds!
    4) Having energy again!

Low points of the cycle:
    1) My shoes stink from being wet!

2) Having to descend slowly!

Does Strava replace the Training Log forum in a way? There’s been a huge influx of Boardsies into it in the past couple of weeks. It’s in a way a better method to see each other’s training and comment etc. I’d really like to keeping doing this blog/log as I’ve enjoyed it, but it’d be easier to be able to do everything in one place!

Also, Mr Garmin was acting up again yesterday - altimeter is a disaster on it sometimes!

Badminton last Tuesday. Made the first mens team so am happy.

Advertisement