Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Stealing Increasing??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

markfdrums wrote: »
    Hollingsworth sold it to me.
    Uh-oh, spaghetti-o's.

I'm not trying to be flippant, but locks are one of those things that I'd never ask a guy in a bike shop what he thinks. Different locks will suit different purposes and different areas. And in many cases, the shop will only stock one or two brands, so the guy you're speaking to wants to sell you something in stock, even if it's unsuitable for you.

Locks are one of the few bike "accessories" which have the potential to cost you more than you've paid for them. If you get a dud tyre, you might have to buy a new tyre and maybe a new tube. If you get a dud lock, you might have to buy a new bike.

I don't know if bike thefts are proportionally on the increase, but there are visibly more bikes on the road as a result of the BTW scheme and visibly more expensive bikes on the road. So I wouldn't be surprised if there are more bike thefts, because to a certain degree bike thieves must be kids in a candy store at the moment as most people seem to want to spend as little as possible on their bike lock.

I'm moving office next week and my bike is moving from an underground gate-controlled car park (with very little foot traffic) to an overground, gate-controlled, CCTV-monitored car park (with a lot of foot traffic) and I'm currently debating whether to continue with my Evo Mini + Kryptoflex, or buy a New York U-Lock or Fahgettaboudit Chain. Lots of people would call me nuts for spending €100+ on a lock, but my bike's not the one that's going to be taken. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭markfdrums

I know what you're saying but i always like to support my LBS.

Theyre good lads just obviously dont know a good lock from a cr*p one. A neither did I at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

so what is a good bike lock? should probably have a stickied thread for people wanting to buy a lock, i will probably buy one eventually (dont cycle my mtb into town or do anything with it besides mtb'ing as its worth too much for some knacker to rob bits off of it :D ) when i get a second cheaper bike

i was looking at these are they good? or are you better off with one of those u-locks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

This, when I use it I always lock my rear wheel and frame to something. Used to use the Kryptonite cable as well for my front wheel but I got some Hex Skewers.

Another option is this with the Kryptonite cable.

You could also go for this but to be honest it weighs a ton so is kind of impractical for carrying around. You could have it in a static spot though?

so those u locks are much better than chain locks i take it? if i was to cycle my mtb into town (tralee) id nearly have three or four locks for it :D id also take the chain off so no one could cycle it if they broke the locks haha fecking hate thieves id nearly build a small device with tiny invisible needles in the saddle for when the bike is locked :D that would stop em

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I wouldn't say ulocks are better than chains in general. A big beefy chain with a heavy padlock will take just as long if not longer to cut through with an angle grinder. Thing is do you want to carry around a 10kg chain or a 2kg ulock?

Good thread here discussing the merits of locks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I know what you're saying but i always like to support my LBS.
    They're good lads just obviously don't know a good lock from a cr*p one. A neither did I at the time.

Hollingsworth? I had a new frame and asked them if they would build supply parts and build up the bike. Without looking up he said "No". Uncivil and unhelpful. I'll never enter their shops again. Imo they are ok for Santa bikes, and not much else. Tbh I'm glad now they didn't offer.

When I go to the local shopping centre I use two Kryptonite U locks and a chain and padlock to lock my bike, about €250 the lot.

I wouldn't say ulocks are better than chains in general. A big beefy chain with a heavy padlock will take just as long if not longer to cut through with an angle grinder. Thing is do you want to carry around a 10kg chain or a 2kg ulock?

Good thread here discussing the merits of locks

with my bike id carry the gate and chain :) that oxfords chain lock i pointed out early seems to be pretty hefty though? im going to be thinking of inventive ways to stop bike thieves all night....james bond style :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

It's all well and good using a pricey lock but one lock alone still isn't that secure. I have a U-Lock with a cable and also a chain and padlock. It's worked well so far. I'm not naive, someone could probably still steal it but the multiple locks should piss 'em off so they don't bother. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Fan

Here's a thread that was linked on here before

http://www.lfgss.com/thread17938.html

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,766 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Like i said previously, I think there should be allowances for thefts but it should be capped at 3 every 5 years.

One every 5 years is them thinking a bike should last 5 years before needing replaced.. fair enough. but these days having a bike for 5 years, locking it every day outside work etc and it NOT being robbed is utter sh!te.

Its showing how out of touch they are with the problem of bike thefts.

And seriously, this scheme is SAVING the tax payer money in the long run.

The more people on bikes the bigger the saving. its not rocket science.

There are all sorts of "vested interests" who would like to see "improvements" to the scheme - the self-employed and unemployed cannot benefit for example. It's only new and complete bikes (plus prescribed safety equipment). All the money must be spent at once, with no spreading over the 5 years.

There are individuals who would see each of these examples as being more important to address than your own. The point is, however, that the relative simplicity of the scheme is what makes it workable, and allows the Revenue to adopt a light touch approach to auditing it. Make it more complicated, and the opportunity for abuse grows, probably making it more costly to administer, and increasing the overall cost to the general taxpayer

As I have already suggested, it's just not going to happen, and we should really be grateful for anything in the current economic climate.

In terms of saving taxpayer money in the long term, there are counter arguments. The people who use bikes extensively under the scheme will more often than not be cyclists anyway. Add to that, if the health benefits take pressure off the health service, it also increases the costs of funding pensions over the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Just ordered a cube ltd pro , first accessory i got was a kryptonite new york m18 lock http://www.evanscycles.com/products/kryptonite/new-york-m18-lock-ec007567#reviews and a kyrptonite 7 ft krptoflex 10mm cable to go with it .
    I know no lock is perfect but my hope is that i will deter anyone just by the length of time it will take to steal versus another bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Karma

My Trek got robbed about a month ago (as previously posted) i check all the sites (donedeal, etc..) daily and have posted reward ads on all the sites http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/23/72071123.html

I think the revenue should allow you to re-apply for the bike to work scheme if your bike has been stolen and you have reported same to guards.

obviously cap it at 3 stolen bikes every 5 years or something.

only allowing one bike every 5 years sucks.

especially since bike thefts are chronic and its the guards fault for not really doing anything about it.

any views??

hey, I am in dundrum and got my epic robbed last month about the 17th dec. yours was about the same time? inbetween the 2 big snows before xmas. reported it but the usual, if you cant solve it for us, not much we can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Advertisement