Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Stealing Increasing??

Options
  • 30-10-2010 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

Hi! I have been reading the cycling forum for a while now & notice a big increase in posts about stolen bikes- many seem to have been taken from sheds, gardens,underground carparks etc.
    I was talking to a friend yesterday & he was saying that since the Recession burglary, theft, fraud etc have gone up while serious crime(murder,rape) have gone down.
    I am buying a bike fairly soon for approximate €2k- I plan on leaving the bike under the stairs in my house & never locking it outside.
    I have a couple of questions;

1) has bike robbery gone up recently-or maybe people are just reporting more?
    2) who's robbing the bikes-is it local scumbags or more organized professional thieves who maybe sell them on to the Uk or Europe?
    3) is it so bad now that if u buy a decent bike- some1 will follow u home & rob the bike at the 1st opportunity?

These were just the questions that come to mind.I think the Gardai had a warehouse where recovered/unclaimed bikes were kept- I don't know if this still exists?

Thanks for reading!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

Arequipa wrote: »

These were just the questions that come to mind.I think the Gardai had a warehouse where recovered/unclaimed bikes were kept- I don't know if this still exists?

Yeah Kevin St. Garda Station.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Ironbar

It's the government. The lack of revenue from road tax has led them to order public servants to steal bikes from ordinary taxpayers so they have to get a car to get to work......:p

• Registered Users Posts: 31,042 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

There have been a number of bikes robbed from my estate, mostly from outside houses.

I'm fairly convinced that my unlocked shed gets "browsed" through from time to time.

Fortunately scumbags don't know SRAM Red from Shimano 2200, so my collection of Fredwagons is intact.

famous last words

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭dave.obrien

my bike was stolen, and my opinion is that there are more people looking to cycle, so a bigger market for stolen bikes to be sold on to unwitting punters. it's a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Arequipa

Would be fun to set a trap- lock your 'Trek Madone 6.9' to a rail & wait around the corner with a baseball bat. Then when the local scumbag shows some interest, you could 'surprise them'!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Ironbar wrote: »
    It's the government. The lack of revenue from road tax has led them to order public servants to steal bikes from ordinary taxpayers so they have to get a car to get to work......:p

There you go, always having a pop at us poor public servants. You're ill informed comments makes my blood boil.

Everyone knows we're nicking bikes to pay for petrol for the ministerial mercs:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

my bike was stolen, and my opinion is that there are more people looking to cycle, so a bigger market for stolen bikes to be sold on to unwitting punters. it's a shame.

More like people willing to turn a blind eye when buying a second hand bike. Unless it was from a proper bike shop or someone I knew, I would assume a second hand bike was stolen.

Maybe people also have new fancier bikes due to the bike to work scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭dave.obrien

There's probably an element of that too, alright dayshah, but I think the increase in bike theft is down to an increase in cyclists/people who want to cycle. I don't know if it's exactly proportional, but more bikes around = more bikes stolen = more stolen bikes sold as 'second hand'. The other factor playing into why it's perceived as a bigger problem is because of the fact that public consciousness is more concerned with cyclists now too.

Of course, that's all just my opinion, one which I had a few weeks ago, and one which hasn't changed having had a bike stolen from a back garden...

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭superrdave

dayshah wrote: »
    More like people willing to turn a blind eye when buying a second hand bike. Unless it was from a proper bike shop or someone I knew, I would assume a second hand bike was stolen.

Maybe people also have new fancier bikes due to the bike to work scheme.

What about from an off duty Guard? I'm not kidding either...

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭markfdrums

My Trek got robbed about a month ago (as previously posted) i check all the sites (donedeal, etc..) daily and have posted reward ads on all the sites http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/23/72071123.html

I think the revenue should allow you to re-apply for the bike to work scheme if your bike has been stolen and you have reported same to guards.

obviously cap it at 3 stolen bikes every 5 years or something.

only allowing one bike every 5 years sucks.

especially since bike thefts are chronic and its the guards fault for not really doing anything about it.

any views??

• Advertisement

markfdrums wrote: »
    its the guards fault for not really doing anything about it...any views??

You used a crappy plastic-covered chain and left your expensive bike in a high risk area. But apparently "it's the guards fault" for not "bother[ing] to warn people of the dangers of locking your bike beside the luas".

Right then. Should they also put signs up in dark alleyways warning women of the dangers of rape? Would that be a higher or lower priority than the theft of your Trek?

How about you take the time to secure your stuff properly and stop wasting their time with relatively minor property offences?

All that aside, the only person to blame for the theft is the bike thief.

whhooo calm down there tiger.

Was i just referring to my bike or was the thread title "BIKE STEALING INCREASING"?

Its the Guards fault that they are categorising ALL bike thefts to be petty crime. A bike theft is a bike theft to them... no matter how much its worth.

relax

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

I am buying a bike fairly soon for approximate €2k- I plan on leaving the bike under the stairs in my house & never locking it outside.

Put it on the house insurance. 123.ie did it for us, for inside the house and when you're out and about.
    Would be fun to set a trap- lock your 'Trek Madone 6.9' to a rail & wait around the corner with a baseball bat. Then when the local scumbag shows some interest, you could 'surprise them'!

"In today's news, scrawny cyclist has both bike and baseball bat stolen from them; receives nothing in return other than good hiding. More at ten"

Lumen:

My main point was: Do people think that one bike in 5 years is enough or should the gvmt increase this to 2-3 due to chronic bike theft... i.e. if you have locked your bike and its robbed, its hardly fair that you have spent 6 months paying for something only for it to be robbed...

dont get me wrong, i'm willing to pay again for another 6 months just give me the chance Mr. Revenue man..:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

My theory is that with a massive number of new cyclists these days there are a lot of them using crappy locks or just not locking their bikes properly so they end up being stolen quite easily.

I know I learnt the hard way about 8 years ago when I foolishly locked my rear wheel to the frame and left it up against a wall in college. Some scumbag came along and simply lifted the back wheel and walked away with it. Fortunately I got it back but never made a silly mistake like that again.

Its the Guards fault that they are categorising ALL bike thefts to be petty crime. A bike theft is a bike theft to them... no matter how much its worth.

Yes, there is a significant financial loss associated with bike theft. However, it's only a financial loss, you've not been personally harmed, the risk is greatly diminished by investing in a decent lock and can be mitigated with insurance.

You cannot insure or secure yourself against assault, rape, or murder.

Therefore, it maybe right that the guards deprioritize bike theft. How much garda time would it cost to properly investigate, relative to the price of the bike? They probably don't do it with car theft or burglary either, and those crimes are usually more lossy.
    My main point was: Do people think that one bike in 5 years is enough or should the gvmt increase this to 2-3 due to chronic bike theft...

I think one bike in 5 years is fine. I don't see why careless people should receive greater tax breaks (I'm careless too, I just don't expect to be compensated for it).

Don't get me wrong, I think bike thiefs should be punished and that people should be able to leave stuff around without it getting nicked. It's just that in the real world the scumbags get up to all sorts of crap, and I'm happy leaving it to the Guards to prioritize that mountain of crap as they see fit.

Kinda wish you'd stop referring to my bike theft as careless... it may have been naive.. it certainly wasnt careless.

I went to the bike shop WITH MY BIKE asked him for a good lock and he sold me the one i used.

Ok naive maybe, as i believed it to be decent but no way careless.

In regards to the price.. my bike was probably worth more than a '93 micra... i 100% know the guards would take a micra theft more seriously than my bike.

Thats all.

oh and fyi... it would probably still save the gvmt money in the long run to have people cycling... even if they increased it to 10 bikes every 5 years..

people active = healthy people = less medical bills for gvmt = less cars on road = he less need for traffic cops etc etc etc..

IT MAKES SENSE TO HAVE THE NATION CYCLING

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Kinda wish you'd stop referring to my bike theft as careless... it may have been naive.. it certainly wasnt careless.

I went to the bike shop WITH MY BIKE asked him for a good lock and he sold me the one i used.

Ok naive maybe, as i believed it to be decent but no way careless.

Yes, quite right. You were not sold what you asked for.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Yes, quite right. You were not sold what you asked for.

Completely agree with this. Shít locks should not be sold, there's no excuse for it.

Someone should put together a class action lawsuit or something. Scare the retailers into only stocking usable stuff.

I imagine the margin on crap accessories is huge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

We need some scheme like this. Proven to reduce car theft hugely when theres an element of uncertainty if a car is baited or not.

I haven't heard of anyone offering a GPS tracking facility in this country for bicycles.

I emailed Eamo Ryan's office (since he lives in Dundrum, his party pushed forward the scheme, he cycles) and asked him can i re-apply for the scheme as a once off case.. I'll let you know what he says!

He probably doesnt care anymore since he's out of the job in about a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Black Bloc

My eldest son, student, travels into Trinity everyday and brings home some horror storeis about the streets aroudn Busaras at least once a week. A few times he has mentioned the number of druggies on unlikely new bikes around Marlborough Street, etc. If they are being stolen, they are also being sold somewhere.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,849 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I emailed Eamo Ryan's office (since he lives in Dundrum, his party pushed forward the scheme, he cycles) and asked him can i re-apply for the scheme as a once off case.. I'll let you know what he says!

He probably doesnt care anymore since he's out of the job in about a month.
    Whatever he says is completely irrelevant. He cannot overrule existing law, or dictate to the Revenue that they should ignore incidences which do not comply with the law.

This scheme is not funded by the government - it's funded by all taxpayers. We have posters coming on here regularly looking for ways to abuse the system. I'm not suggesting your own motives are along these lines, but if the rules catered for anyone who had their bike stolen to reapply within the 5 year limit, this would simply open up another opportunity for unscrupulous individuals to defraud the rest of the tax-paying public (and probably shorten the life of the scheme for everyone)

We are very lucky to have this scheme in the current economic climate, and to seek any relaxation of the rules is, in my view, unrealistic.

Like i said previously, I think there should be allowances for thefts but it should be capped at 3 every 5 years.

One every 5 years is them thinking a bike should last 5 years before needing replaced.. fair enough. but these days having a bike for 5 years, locking it every day outside work etc and it NOT being robbed is utter sh!te.

Its showing how out of touch they are with the problem of bike thefts.

And seriously, this scheme is SAVING the tax payer money in the long run.

The more people on bikes the bigger the saving. its not rocket science.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I agree with Beasty, I've spent €250 on locks and security for my bikes. I don't see why someone can't spend a few quid extra instead of looking for a tax break. I think the system would only get more abused. A good lock is about €50, I don't see why people think €10 is good.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

I Spent between 30-40 quid on the lock.

Hollingsworth sold it to me. I brought my bike into the shop and said I need a lock for this. He sold me the bike and knew how good it was.

He picked it out, i went with his choice. If he took one out for 60 quid i would have bought that.

At the end of the day, your argument is if someone has an anti-theft device in their car as well as an alarm, the person who only had the alarm deserved to have their car robbed..

its just not true. I locked it with (what i thought) was a fully fucntional lock (lets be honest, theres no such thing) and it was nicked.

Just like a car with an alarm etc can be nicked.

If some knacker in the know and with the right gear wants to rob ANYTHING they will.

I locked it with (what i thought) was a fully fucntional lock (lets be honest, theres no such thing....If some knacker in the know and with the right gear wants to rob ANYTHING they will.

A good lock requires power tools or extreme patience to cut through. This creates a massive amount of noise and fuss. Do some internet research if you don't believe it.

Therefore, professional thieves tend to pick on the bikes with crap locks. Like yours.

Whether or not you were missold the lock, if you had used a better lock you'd almost certainly still have your bike.

I have no idea what would happen if everyone had decent locks. Maybe the thieves would raise their game, or maybe they'd move on to some other thing, like bikejacking or stealing from inside houses (as happened with cars when engine immobilizers were introduced).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

It's not only bikes with ****ty locks that are getting yoinked, tradesmen's equipment is a big target too. I heard that two builders working at the dublin synagog took a wee nap over lunch hour and when they woke up their tools had been nicked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,950 ✭✭✭✭Stark

My previous bike was stolen with a €50 Oxford Revolver lock that Wheelworx sold me. Didn't last 10 mins. Definitely a "Do not use" lock.

Advertisement