Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want more than the SM58 gives me for live. With maybe a little studio use.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

ogy wrote: »
    ...and does claim to have the highest gain before feedback of any mic on the market.
    Indeed. To quote the blurb:
    "In order to achieve these extraordinary performance benefits, the OM7 is designed with an unconventionally low output level (8-10 dB lower than typical dynamic microphones). This low gain stage acts as a natural “pad” at the capsule in order to maintain high fidelity at the source. For this reason, the OM7 is best suited for use with high quality mixing consoles with plenty of head room to compensate for the low gain."

Sounds like bull**** to me. For a start, a dynamic mic doesn't have a "gain stage". And is it not logical that if you add an extra 8-10dB of gain at the desk, it will still be "as loud" as a "typical" dynamic microphone, and therefore just as likely to feedback? And it will be noisier...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

madtheory wrote: »
    bull****

I'm with Mad on this one ...

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mongo

http://www.heilsound.com/pro/products/pr20/

I've not used these mics but I've read nothing but good things. A bit more pricey than a 58 but could be what your looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

madtheory wrote: »
    Indeed. To quote the blurb:
    "In order to achieve these extraordinary performance benefits, the OM7 is designed with an unconventionally low output level (8-10 dB lower than typical dynamic microphones). This low gain stage acts as a natural “pad” at the capsule in order to maintain high fidelity at the source. For this reason, the OM7 is best suited for use with high quality mixing consoles with plenty of head room to compensate for the low gain."

Sounds like bull**** to me. For a start, a dynamic mic doesn't have a "gain stage". And is it not logical that if you add an extra 8-10dB of gain at the desk, it will still be "as loud" as a "typical" dynamic microphone, and therefore just as likely to feedback? And it will be noisier...

I could understand a lower inductance giving a flatter response maybe, like an active bass. What they're claiming is still pants about the natural pad good desk needed etc. Maybe the marketing peoples got too much control on the blurb writing.

eoin5 wrote: »
    I could understand a lower inductance giving a flatter response maybe, like an active bass. What they're claiming is still pants about the natural pad good desk needed etc. Maybe the marketing peoples got too much control on the blurb writing.
    What do you mean about inductance? I didn't see that in the specs. But ya, most specs these days get watered down by marketing. Audix are not the only ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

I guess inductance only applies to magnetic coil pickups, I was just trying to relate the two.

AFAIK in a microphone capsule the acoustic resonance is the major determining factor of frequency response, the electrical inductance is very low. I'm open to correction though!

Advertisement