Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jim Corr on Today FM now

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Clawdeeus

Last time I checked we had free speech in this country. Whether we disagree with someone or not, there're entitled to their own opinion without being ridiculed surely? Otherwise we might as well buy "Jackboots" for Xmas and start marching in step.

Free speech does not mean people will not be ridiculed, or even fired for something they say. Never has, never will. It means the government will not cenosr, limit or prsoecute you for speech. Society and individuals are free to call you a quack. Which this dude clearly is.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

profitius wrote: »
    Conspiracy theorists are the people who see things differenty from the rest of the population. Conspiracy theorists could tell you years ago that the ecomonic situation was heading for trouble and if people listened they'd have saved alot of money. Instead the sheeple listened to what the crooks/gangsters in governments told them and as we're seeing now look where that has got the country.

No. Economists and anyone who was paying attention could tell you years ago that the economic situation was heading for trouble. Conspiracy Theorist would claim that it was done on purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Last time I checked we had free speech in this country. Whether we disagree with someone or not, there're entitled to their own opinion without being ridiculed surely? Otherwise we might as well buy "Jackboots" for Xmas and start marching in step.

Say what you will, old Adolf got the country back on it's feet when it was down... might learn a few lessons there :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Clawdeeus

The highlighted part you're kind of contradicting yourself. Why do you presume he is wrong? He's looked at the evidence and came up with logical conclusions and unless you have further evidence to prove him wrong you can't say he doesn't know what he's talking about.

In time Jim Corr will be proved correct.

Of course your facts can be right and your conclusions bullshti. For example; there has been increased sun activity since Tom Cruise was born, therefore Tom Cruise is interfering with the sun.

99% of conspiracy theories consist of someone (usually with little or no knowledge of how a process SHOULD play out) saying how weird it is that a given process worked out in a particular way, then drawing conclusions that are not even supported by the anomalies they proporte to have found.

Sure they are right sometimes (an economic crisis is coming... eventually!) but that hardly means the reasons, or the outcome will conform to their theory.

If the vast majority of people are not convinced by your arguments, it does not mean they are all "sheeple" it means your arguments are incredibly flawed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

humanji wrote: »
    No. Economists and anyone who was paying attention could tell you years ago that the economic situation was heading for trouble. Conspiracy Theorist would claim that it was done on purpose.

Conspiracy theorists have been claiming that the system was deliberately set up to make the rich richer and make the poor into slaves. The general population are starting to get that message after the last couple of weeks.

Some people still believe everything politicans say... because they would never lie would they! lol

• Advertisement

Clawdeeus wrote: »
    Of course your facts can be right and your conclusions bullshti. For example; there has been increased sun activity since Tom Cruise was born, therefore Tom Cruise is interfering with the sun.

99% of conspiracy theories consist of someone (usually with little or no knowledge of how a process SHOULD play out) saying how weird it is that a given process worked out in a particular way, then drawing conclusions that are not even supported by the anomalies they proporte to have found.

Sure they are right sometimes (an economic crisis is coming... eventually!) but that hardly means the reasons, or the outcome will conform to their theory.

If the vast majority of people are not convinced by your arguments, it does not mean they are all "sheeple" it means your arguments are incredibly flawed.

Well you seem to know everything about conspiracy theorists or maybe you're making a wild guess?

How are my arguments flawed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Conspiracy theorists have been claiming that the system was deliberately set up to make the rich richer and make the poor into slaves. The general population are starting to get that message after the last couple of weeks.

Some people still believe everything politicans say... because they would never lie would they! lol

Even a broken clock is right twice a day! From following American politics I see some (Republicans) want the rich to get richer because they believe one they they will be rich (the American Dream), over here and England I think we have a more realistic view, and most would rather see the poorer guy do well (rags to riches) but I don't think anyone in their right mind trusts politicians anymore. The sooner computers take over the better. All haill Prime Minister Skynet !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

mike65 wrote: »
    He is on Today FM again in a few moments, Matt Cooper seems to be a fan

Anyone have a link to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

TheZohan wrote: »
    Anyone have a link to this?

He was only on for 2 minutes, talking about the protest, didn't say anything controversial.
    Matt said that he must feel vindicated now with his stance on Lisbon and our now loss of sovergnty, Jim said that it was cold comfort

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Gigiwagga

Biggins wrote: »
    He'd the David Icke of this decade! :pac:

...I know!!...let's all be hurlers on the ditch. wow dynamic man...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

The issue with conspiracy theorists like Corr is that they will make a lot of sense. Their conspiracies are nearly always built on quite a lot of facts. Much of their evidence really does exist. It is just the conclusions drawn from said evidence that is insane.

Take for example Corr’s theory that there is a New World Order in the making. If you read his essays on this he claims there that they want to reduce the population of the planet by many millions.

As evidence for this he would cite people who have indeed suggested a reduction in the population, or at least the current population growth, of the world would be a good idea due to strains large populations put on our resources.

He would then shout QED.

Essentially what he has done here is:

1) X is defined as having characteristic Y
    2) Characteristic Y really does exist.
    3) Therefore X must exist.

Right up until step 3 he is making perfect sense. It is suddenly at the end that everything breaks down in an insane non-sequitar. This is why you can listen to a video like that above and think “This guy makes a lot of sense”. Most of what he says will.

I think it's pretty clear that Corr is a bit nuts, but equally so is anyone who completely dismisses that there is an organisation out there pushing for a new world order.

It probably won't be successful in the end but it exists and it has been clear about it's aims. Too many people get caught up in the loony sideshow and dismiss everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

That Jim Corr video left me breathless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Bodhisopha wrote: »

You were touching yourself weren't you ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭fcussen

The issue with conspiracy theorists like Corr is that they will make a lot of sense. Their conspiracies are nearly always built on quite a lot of facts. Much of their evidence really does exist. It is just the conclusions drawn from said evidence that is insane.

Take for example Corr’s theory that there is a New World Order in the making. If you read his essays on this he claims there that they want to reduce the population of the planet by many millions.

As evidence for this he would cite people who have indeed suggested a reduction in the population, or at least the current population growth, of the world would be a good idea due to strains large populations put on our resources.

He would then shout QED.

Essentially what he has done here is:

1) X is defined as having characteristic Y
    2) Characteristic Y really does exist.
    3) Therefore X must exist.

Right up until step 3 he is making perfect sense. It is suddenly at the end that everything breaks down in an insane non-sequitar. This is why you can listen to a video like that above and think “This guy makes a lot of sense”. Most of what he says will.

You sir are a gentleman and a scholar.

I genuinely believe that, in a small way, the world would be a better place if people were to realise that just because that article they read/film they saw/argument they heard made use of facts, that alone is not enough to say it constructs a tenable argument or makes any logical sense.

I'm not joking, newspapers, advertising, websites, etc. would not get away with publishing so much of the sh*te that they do if the average person had a better command of logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

fcussen wrote: »

I'm not joking, newspapers, advertising, websites, etc. would not get away with publishing so much of the sh*te that they do if the average person had a better command of logic.

Do you have any evidence to support that assertion..?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Too many people get caught up in the loony sideshow and dismiss everything.

I, personally, only dismiss things that come to me without any evidence. No more and no less. Looniness really has nothing to do with it. Even a loony can be right. The trick is to forget WHO is saying X and looking instead at WHY they are saying X.

Some of the craziest people have furthered our knowledge in this world greatly. Conversely some of the biggest, highly decorated, most educated people in fields have made the most awful errors in judgement and their error has been compounded because people looked at WHO made the error and accepted their word as an authority without questioning it quickly enough.

A great lesson in life therefore is that no matter what theory or idea comes before you, strip instantly away all knowledge of who it was who said it and look instead at the support it has.

That there is a massive conspiracy by an elite Illuminati to take over the world in a new world order, and they have started this process by engineering a deliberate financial crisis in Ireland in order to gain control of it might make a great Hollywood film, but I see no reason to lend it any credence out here on this side of the big silver screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Bodhisopha wrote: »

You were thinking of his sisters while you watched weren't you............you dirty fecker

• Registered Users Posts: 33,237 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Mister men wrote: »
    Nobody mentioned a riot.

Look again at the post I was replying to:
    So should I be listening to Jim Corr's take on the economic situation or not?

I am basically willing to riot/protest, that is what he's suggesting, right?

I was asking is he willing to riot, or to protest. Because they are two different things.

I was asking is he willing to riot, or to protest. Because they are two different things.

Although I have little respect for him, I will at least say that he did the right thing in calling for a peaceful protest.

In fact in the video linked to above he does call for people to gently push troublemakers who want to start riots towards the fringes of the mass of people and deliver them to the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,237 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Although I have little respect for him, I will at least say that he did the right thing in calling for a peaceful protest.

In fact in the video linked to above he does call for people to gently push troublemakers who want to start riots towards the fringes of the mass of people and deliver them to the Gardai.

I agree completely. It should be a peaceful protest, and anyone trying to start trouble should be held back and calmed down by other protesters, or handed to the gardai. And I do respect Jim Corr for making the distinction that it should be peaceful. The first few rows of people in the protest should be willing to keep troublemakers from throwing stuff etc. That's what I was asking that guy, does he want to riot or does he want to protest?

• Advertisement

Many schools of sociological and economic thought also believe that society is ordered in a such a way as to make the rich richer and make the poor into slaves.
    The difference between these and conspiracy theorists is that economists and sociologists claim that the rich becoming richer and the poor becoming slaves is the unintended consequence of various different actors and organisations working in their own self-interest.

Conspiracy theorists otoh claim that this is all happening deliberately as part of the overarching master plan of some shadowy unseen cabal.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I think the whole NWO thing is really just capitalism in motion. There is no hidden agenda, everyone knows where they stand. Our society is already enslaved, really.. of course we get shiny new things in return so everyone is happy. I don't think that any single group of people is interested in full control, though it's not beyond doubt that as they become more intertwined, they'll sweep up more and more control.

tbh, it doesn't really matter to me whether or not there's any master-plan behind it all.. if it's a case that we're headed in the direction that guys like Corr prophecise, even if it's unplanned and doesn't include a shadowy group of puppeteers, then it's a bad thing.

He may talk a load of bollix for the most part, but at least he does talk. He could just as easily keep his mouth shut and stop damaging his own reputation and putting himself in the line of fire for attacks on his character. If for nothing else; I respect him for speaking his mind, and I believe his heart is in the right place.

As for the video, well all he's doing is asking people to unite and protest (peacefully) against where we are headed.. I don't see how what he says can be construed in any way other than that tbh

Do people honestly believe that theres nobody out there that would like to rule the world? Look at what happened here. Its all down to greed. The rich want more and more because more money means more power.

Its naive to think that trillonaires and billionaires don't group together to gain even more power. These are power hungry people and not satisfied with what they have already. There is such a thing called the bilderberg group that meet up to discuss how to run the world. Its never reported in any media because the feckers own the media too.

I think the problem with some people who refuse to believe in a NWO etc is they don't have the full picture. Theres plenty of people who have changed their mind after a lot of research. usually they'll say things start to make sense.

I am not surprised at all that people like that think it “makes sense” when they get into it. There are a few reasons for this, not the least of which is confirmation bias. “Seek and you will find” as the bible says. If your vauge enough you can always find evidence to support your idea. You are allowing the idea to lead the evidence rather than the evidence to lead the idea.

Actually even the most simple process can give the impression of intent behind it. You set processes in motion and patterns and “goals” seem to appear out of nowhere. Even in the simplest mathematically driven animations colored blocks appear to be “trying” to get to certain end points all the time almost like they “want” to be there.

Make the process more complex and this effect is often exploded. Take Evolution for example. It is a very simple process but the impression of intentional thought out designs and goals it gives has duped a great number of people in massive ways. It looks like there is a mind out there having ideas, implementing designs, and debugging them. It is a powerful impression that causes even top scientists to use the language of intent when discussing it. Evolution “wants” to do this, genes “try” to do that.

Economics is itself a massively complex process to the point that I have heard it said no one person could ever understand the entire process or the interactions within it. The basics of it are, like Evolution, very simple. It is just money and the changing value of currency in relation to itself, other currencies, and base measures such as the price of gold etc. However the process and interactions that come out of it are massively complex and there are machines moving money around in seconds that a man with pen and paper would need 10 years to track.

That someone like Corr can look at this process and feel he can discern a faceless, unfindable, evidence less, apparently non-existent person or people pulling strings behind the scenes is not a surprise and I have a great sympathy for what it must be like to be chasing ghosts in the machine. I would actually be more surprised if people looked closely at economics and did not get that impression.

Even something so massively simple as the “23ist” philosophy leaves people reeling with the impression there is a mind behind it, and their philosophy could not be simpler and they really believe someone is behind the scenes controlling everything and leaving the number 23 everywhere for all to find.

I'm not entirely unsympathetic towards conspiracy theories in that they are borne of people's powerlessness over their own lives.

But as has been said, they are a complete oversimplification of reality. People seem to think "If I'm not in control, who is?"

I am not surprised at all that people like that think it “makes sense” when they get into it. There are a few reasons for this, not the least of which is confirmation bias. “Seek and you will find” as the bible says. If your vauge enough you can always find evidence to support your idea. You are allowing the idea to lead the evidence rather than the evidence to lead the idea.

Actually even the most simple process can give the impression of intent behind it. You set processes in motion and patterns and “goals” seem to appear out of nowhere. Even in the simplest mathematically driven animations colored blocks appear to be “trying” to get to certain end points all the time almost like they “want” to be there.

Make the process more complex and this effect is often exploded. Take Evolution for example. It is a very simple process but the impression of intentional thought out designs and goals it gives has duped a great number of people in massive ways. It looks like there is a mind out there having ideas, implementing designs, and debugging them. It is a powerful impression that causes even top scientists to use the language of intent when discussing it. Evolution “wants” to do this, genes “try” to do that.

Economics is itself a massively complex process to the point that I have heard it said no one person could ever understand the entire process or the interactions within it. The basics of it are, like Evolution, very simple. It is just money and the changing value of currency in relation to itself, other currencies, and base measures such as the price of gold etc. However the process and interactions that come out of it are massively complex and there are machines moving money around in seconds that a man with pen and paper would need 10 years to track.

That someone like Corr can look at this process and feel he can discern a faceless, unfindable, evidence less, apparently non-existent person or people pulling strings behind the scenes is not a surprise and I have a great sympathy for what it must be like to be chasing ghosts in the machine. I would actually be more surprised if people looked closely at economics and did not get that impression.

Even something so massively simple as the “23ist” philosophy leaves people reeling with the impression there is a mind behind it, and their philosophy could not be simpler and they really believe someone is behind the scenes controlling everything and leaving the number 23 everywhere for all to find.

I understand how the mind works better than most people. I understand why companies spend millions advertising their products. I also know that the mainstream media have great influence over people. Conspiracy theorists are made out to be idiots and lunatics. Of course this then spreads and people start to believe it and before you know it they're trying to think up theories as to why conspiracy theorists believe things they do.

I know you mean no harm but its obvious you automatically presume people like Jim Corr are a bit mad.
    fcussen wrote: »
    I'm not entirely unsympathetic towards conspiracy theories in that they are borne of people's powerlessness over their own lives.

But as has been said, they are a complete oversimplification of reality. People seem to think "If I'm not in control, who is?"

Its not about people wanting to find meaning in their lives. The second part is correct. People ask themselves questions and then more questions and more and when they look for answers they find out all is not as they thought. People like that are the ones who have changed the world. Thinking outside the box and not thinking like they're told to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

I, personally, only dismiss things that come to me without any evidence. No more and no less. Looniness really has nothing to do with it. Even a loony can be right. The trick is to forget WHO is saying X and looking instead at WHY they are saying X.

Some of the craziest people have furthered our knowledge in this world greatly. Conversely some of the biggest, highly decorated, most educated people in fields have made the most awful errors in judgement and their error has been compounded because people looked at WHO made the error and accepted their word as an authority without questioning it quickly enough.

A great lesson in life therefore is that no matter what theory or idea comes before you, strip instantly away all knowledge of who it was who said it and look instead at the support it has.

That there is a massive conspiracy by an elite Illuminati to take over the world in a new world order, and they have started this process by engineering a deliberate financial crisis in Ireland in order to gain control of it might make a great Hollywood film, but I see no reason to lend it any credence out here on this side of the big silver screen.

You've already gotten into the loonyness.

There is a group of people who as their stated aim would like to see a one world government. That's a fact and that's all I've stated.

I know you mean no harm but its obvious you automatically presume people like Jim Corr are a bit mad.

Funny how what is going on in my head seems obvious to you. I know my head better than you.

Simply pointing out that the media supports the notion that a lot of them are lunatics does not mean they are not. There are good reasons not connected to the media to think many of them in fact are.

However you would do well to read my post again as this reply does not actually relate to what I am saying. I am saying the opposite of calling them lunatics. I am in fact saying that there are very strong reasons why they get the impressions that they do. Complex systems can often give the impression that there exists intent where there in fact is none. If you go looking for evidence of that intent you will likely find things to support your impressions.

The “evidence” on offer simply is not supportive of the conclusion presented however. This is nothing to do with the relative sanity of people like Corr and so the fact that it is "obvious" to you that I think so is strange given it is entirely baseless. You are assigning opinions to me I do not really hold. I do this his conclusions are a bit "mad" and I do happily use such terms, but at the end of the day an idea being "mad" does not mean the holder of the idea is "mad".

There is a group of people who as their stated aim would like to see a one world government. That's a fact and that's all I've stated.

Of course there is. However the existence of a group who would like this is not itself evidence that there exists a secret nameless group who are engineering it as we speak, starting with engineering a financial collapse in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Jim Corr lives up the road from me.

He's a quite enough man, but for the last year or so the fecker has bought up every scrap of tin foil in every local shop within a 50 mile radius.

I'm sick of having to wrap my sambos is newspaper.

Advertisement