Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to see and do in London

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Sign up to the Borris bikes! the city is attually very small and can you could cycle one sid of the city centre to the other in about 20 mins.. You dont have to use the underground at all.. Its only a £1 a day.. I never cycled in Dublin only got into it over here. The thames path is a good cycle aswell you wouldent think you are in one of the biggest city in the world.

I havent done much touristy stuff I live near Richmond so thats a great spot to sit out side and have a few drinks in a pub.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

It's worth having a look at the blog Tired of London, Tired of Life for ideas of new things to do... The author writes about a new place to visit every day, and it's been running for about two years, so that's a lot of suggestions!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Here are a few more things worth checking out:
    London Duck Tours - a tour around the city in an amphibian bus-boat thing.
    The Namco Funscape @ The Southbank - video arcade, bowling, pool and even bumper cars.
    The Prince Charles Cinema - a great little cinema in Leicester Square, with tickets starting at £1.50 for members.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Sinall

This isn't free but not too expensive. Ice-skating is just about to kick off for the Christmas period! http://www.toweroflondonicerink.com/index.aspx

Winter Market in Hyde Park. Entry is free to this but to go to the Winter Circus or on the Observation Wheel you have to book tickets in advance. http://www.viewlondon.co.uk/whatson/winter-wonderland-tickets-article-4789.html

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Sinall

I went to the Winter Circus at the Hyde Park Christmas Market thingy. It was hilarious, but not in a good way! If I made my own circus in the garden with my Mum, Dad and the dog as star performers it would have been better. The market was lovely though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Greystoner

Camden Market on a sunny weekend is a great place to hang out in!Such a chilled out place. Also Alexander Palace (aka Ally Pally) for good views of the city and a walk/picnic/ice-skating, and Primrose hill park and Highgate park. Regents/Oxford street for a walk around and shopping are good. Also if you are looking for tourist photo opps of the buses, taxis, bustle etc.

Natural history and Science museum are world class. All the usual tourist sites; The Tower, Buckingham palace, parks everywhere.

Personal favourite is also 'The comedy store' for standup and improv comedy (off Leicester square) The queues used to be massive, I havent been there for years, but it may be worth getting there early. 'Jongleurs' comedy venues good too. Pubs and eateries are everywhere.

I lived in London for 12 years and I loved it when I was in my 20's, but when you get older, it becomes hard work!

Something for everyone, whether you want full on or to just chill out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Murt10

Avoid London West End on a Sunday night. All the shows are closed, giving the staff one night off. As a result most of the restaurants etc are also closed.

The whole place is as dead as a doornail.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 C81

Comedy clubs, sound good. Where? What are the best nites?
    I know the channel 4 nite in O2 arena is on 24 may..

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

C81 wrote: »
    Comedy clubs, sound good. Where? What are the best nites?
    I know the channel 4 nite in O2 arena is on 24 may..

You could try out the Leicester Square Comedy Store. Alternatively, the Union Chapel have regular events including comedy gigs (see here for details).

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Seeorr

Fysh wrote: »
    You could try out the Leicester Square Comedy Store. Alternatively, the Union Chapel have regular events including comedy gigs (see here for details).

The comedy store is usually good, solid acts. The 99 club is ok, usually less established performers, but not bad, and you get entry to the ropey nightclub that kicks off afterwards.

Don't go to the 'London Comedy Club' in the Thistle Hotel - it is terrible. They have tonnes of flyer distributors in the Square wearing red T Shirts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Seeorr wrote: »
    The comedy store is usually good, solid acts. The 99 club is ok, usually less established performers, but not bad, and you get entry to the ropey nightclub that kicks off afterwards.

Don't go to the 'London Comedy Club' in the Thistle Hotel - it is terrible. They have tonnes of flyer distributors in the Square wearing red T Shirts.

Check out The Comedy Cafe in Shoreditch. They do the same show on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. On a Thursday night it's a bit cheaper (£8 roughly) and the same show that they give on Friday and Saturday. Usually it's 3 comedians and an MC filling in between. Usually 2 good comedians and the first tends to be someone starting out. Worth checking out for a few pints and a last train home. Seen Ed Byrne in there before

If you're a sci-fi fan, you should check out the Sci-Fi London Oktoberfest lineup for next weekend at the Camden Odeon.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

As mentioned in another thread, Winter Wonderland is now up and running in Hyde Park and I think it's well worth a visit:

http://www.hydeparkwinterwonderland.com/

There's a Christmas market, fairground rides, bars & cafes and this year there's an ice rink!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

There's always an ice rink! :D

I can't make this as I'll be away that weekend, but TimeOut are offering free tickets to a burlesque show. Looks like it could be fun!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Very tempted to go to the new film night that's starting in the North London Tavern tonight. They are showing Labyrinth at 8pm. £3 entry and unlimited popcorn :)

http://www.northlondontavern.co.uk/aboutus.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Thought it might be cool if we all recommended some cool things around the areas we live/know well

If you like Jamaican cuisine, check out Smokey Jerkey in New Cross Gate. The place doesn't look like much from the outside but they do an amazing Jerk Lamb, rice and peas. Really recommended, anyone I have brought there loves it. About £5 per meal and you can take away or eat in.

Tayyabs in Whitechapel-amazing Indian and the lamb chops are a must for a starter. The whole meal costs roughly £10 per head.

Theres a noodle house in Elephant and Castle just outside the Shopping Centre and near the bus stop. Great value and tasty Chinese food here-roughly £5 a dish.

Anyone have any recommendations? Doesn't have to be food but that's mainly what came to my mind!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I live in Brixton. Brixton market and Brixton village are just amazing. Brix village has tonnes of restaurants and cafes now, well worth a look.
    If you like weed and all things Carribean Brixton is where it's at!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

if you're out in shoreditch, get some fresh bagels at the end of the night on brick lane. some nights i've gone well out of my way to get some.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

If you fancy being in the audience for a tv show try The Applause Store. All shows our free and its good entertainment for a few hours.

Some of the shows have long waiting lists but they get to you eventually, I just got 4 tickets to Never Mind The Buzzcocks next week!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Fenny

If you fancy being in the audience for a tv show try The Applause Store. All shows our free and its good entertainment for a few hours.

Some of the shows have long waiting lists but they get to you eventually, I just got 4 tickets to Never Mind The Buzzcocks next week!!

SRO Audiences also do tickets for things like The Graham Norton Show and Mock the Week. Would recommend, although prepare to get there as early as possible or you might not get in as they oversubscribe tickets by a good amount...

I got tickets for Top Gear (the recording) a few months ago, brilliant day! I also got a ticket for Big Brother, but when I arrived out there the allocation was filled so make sure you get there in plenty of time if you do have tickets for any of the shows :)

Never Mind The Buzzcocks is going to be brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Recommend local things in London thread has been merged into the Things to see and do in London sticky thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 melboftw

Some good comedy nights coming up in Leicester Square Theatre, Glenn Wool at the end of Jan, and Tiffany Stevenson the week before (she was on Buzzcocks last week or the week before). They're both worth checking out.

Keith Farnan's in the Southbank Centre all weekend, he just did that Money Money Money show on RTE.

Old Rope on Mondays in the Phoenix is easily the best regularly run comedy night though. £6 on the door, people like Milton Jones, Rich Hall etc doing new material. So good.

Chinese New Year is on 23 Jan but celebrations are on Sunday 29 Jan in Trafalgar Square

http://www.timeout.com/london/around-town/event/228628/chinese-new-year-2012

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭afatbollix

I went last year. good day out but dont go down china town its packed! its like a scrum your just picked up with your feet not really touching the ground and after 20 mins your at the other end.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Chinese New Year is on 23 Jan but celebrations are on Sunday 29 Jan in Trafalgar Square

http://www.timeout.com/london/around-town/event/228628/chinese-new-year-2012
    I went last year, it was jammed but good fun. I have no idea why people bring buggies to these sorts of things though, it must be absolutely terrifying for the children. I saw one guy carrying a buggy over his head. We stayed in that area and dipped in and out of the celebrations so it wasn't too overwhelming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭LifeBeginsAt40

There's a few ideas here too about places to visit in London: http://www.halftermdates.co.uk/sengland/london-half-term-dates.htm

I used to spend a lot of time in London, wandering about with the camera, it's not too bad admiring the city when it's not pouring with rain! Get a travel card that lets you use the buses and tubes, though the buses don't go much faster than walking pace due to the amazing amount of traffic.

Greater London has close to 9 million residents, so that gives you an idea of the shear mayhem to be found on the roads!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

http://www.londonblitz.com/

For those of you that got sucked into 'Friday Night Lights' as I did, hook line and sinker... if you've not watched it, do...the TV series that is.
    Thinks there's some games in April up near Finsbury Park :)

• Advertisement

There's an 80s club on the Fulham Road called Maggies (after yer one that was in charge back then). It looks fun! http://www.maggies-club.com/

Advertisement