Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1216 packs of abortion pills seized in 2009

Options
  • 27-10-2010 9:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭

Welcome to Ireland - Warning, may contain catholic facism and womens right abuses, procede with caution.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2010/1026/1224282004957.html

So now not only is the state not providing abortion, but they actually have customs seizing abortion pills. As if abortion in this country isnt enough of a joke allready, then add to that the embarassing spectacle of our attourney general defending the violation of irish womens rights in the euro court of human rights, it just beggers belief.

1216 packs seized
    1216 more backstreet abortions putting womens lives at risk.

The Irish state cant even manage its own affairs, why does it still insist on trying to manage the affairs of every vagina in the country.

Hands off i say!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

Abortions for some?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i absolutely despise the catholic cult but i also believe in the right to life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Yay, was only thinking yesterday how we were due another abortion thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

The Irish state cant even manage its own affairs, why does it still insist on trying to manage the affairs of every vagina in the country.

Hands off i say!

***** managing ***** ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Liber8or wrote: »
    Abortions for some?

Miniture American flags for others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

This is the danger of it.
    Women will turn to dodgy methods such as this in desperation and possibly harm or kill themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭sonic85

Liber8or wrote: »
    Abortions for some?

recession for all

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Welcome to Ireland - Warning, may contain catholic facism and womens right abuses, procede with caution.

So now not only is the state not providing abortion, but they actually have customs seizing abortion pills. As if abortion in this country isnt enough of a joke allready, then add to that the embarassing spectacle of our attourney general defending the violation of irish womens rights in the euro court of human rights, it just beggers belief.

1216 packs seized

Hands off i say!

Indeed, lets not worry about the dangers or side effects of such things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

If a person wants an abortion it's usually for a good reason. Even if that reason is they're to young to be a parent, or simply down want a child then I support it. A parent who doesn't want a child will more than likely not be a good parent.

But on the other hand I don't like the sound of pills inducing abortions. If a serious procedure is going to be done, have it done by a qualified person and nobody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

1216 packs seized

Hands off i say!
    They're illegal.

Therefore, they should be seized.

• Advertisement

bronte wrote: »
    Women will turn to dodgy methods such as this in desperation and possibly harm or kill themselves.

I may as well start it off as sensationally as I can...

Oh well they deserve to if they intend to kill an unborn child!!!!

WindSock wrote: »
    I may as well start it off as sensationally as I can...

Oh well they deserve to if they intend to kill an unborn child!!!!

Those bastards!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Regardless of whether you agree with abortions or not, you can't allow unregulated medicine from unqualified people.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Gerri Santoro waiting to happen. It is shocking we do not have a safe way for women to decide what happens within their own bodies. I can understand why they took them, they are very high doses of hormones that are dangerous if not properly administered. This should not be happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭sonic85

wont somebody think of the children!

They can't let these types of medicines seep into the country illegally. I mean, what about those poor people employed in the coat hanger assembly factory? They will be out of jobs. Won't somebody think of the jobs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

They can't let these types of medicines seep into the country illegally. I mean, what about those poor people employed in the coat hanger assembly factory? They will be out of jobs. Won't somebody think of the jobs?

...and the step ladder folk, don't forget them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭GarlicBread

Well, as it stands we are supporting jobs in the british and french health systems with our most appauling export. Time to stop being children and to bring those jobs home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Regardless of whether you agree with abortions or not, you can't allow unregulated medicine from unqualified people.

Yup, I've outed myself as a feminist here and even I don't agree with unregulated abortion pills being bought over the internet etc. Who knows what their efficacy is or whether foetal damage would occur without abortion? Or their potential side effects or even what ingredients are in them? I understand that some women are desperate but customs had no option but to seize those pills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

Women will have abortions no matter what lies in their path! making it illegal only makes the ordeal more of an ordeal..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

bronte wrote: »

Or get a cheap flight abroad. Jesus like :pac: I doubt theres been a backstreet abortion in Ireland in 25 years minimum.

My God, customs seizing drugs which have not been passed for sale by the dept of health. Shocking.

Or get a cheap flight abroad. Jesus like :pac: I doubt theres been a backstreet abortion in Ireland in 25 years minimum.

My God, customs seizing drugs which have not been passed for sale by the dept of health. Shocking.

Because all teenage girls are able to hop off to the north for a few days without the parents noticing. What about women who have been raped and don't want to tell anyone, but can't disappear for a few days with no-one asking questions? Women in abusive relationships who don't want to be pregnant but can't escape their husbands long enough to get to the north and back? Money issues?

Its not that easy to disappear and then come back and no-one notice you're gone.

Not objecting to the seizing of the drugs there...I'm saying we should wake up and stop exporting important issues to England.

Because all teenage girls are able to hop off to the north for a few days without the parents noticing. What about women who have been raped and don't want to tell anyone, but can't disappear for a few days with no-one asking questions? Women in abusive relationships who don't want to be pregnant but can't escape their husbands long enough to get to the north and back? Money issues?

Its not that easy to disappear and then come back and no-one notice you're gone.

Is abortion even legal in the North?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Oh god, only 24 replies so far. Any bets that this abortion debate will have a thousand replies before the morning?:)

Haven't seen anyone shout yet in their responses! ;)

Just checked, its actually not. Which kind of makes my point more valid, but sorry for the silly mistake, thought all laws in the UK applied in the north :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

It's not, unless there's a threat to the life or health (including mental health) of the woman.

Most women in NI also go to Britain for abortion.

edit: There's actually an interesting idea that, if it was legalised in the North than the Republic would have to follow suit due to the "equal rights in both jurisdictions" clause in the Good Friday Agreement. Whether or not that's true, I have no idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Another one of these threads, and OP if abortion is illegal in the State, what do you expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

No. The UK has three separate legal systems: NI, Scotland and England-Wales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

Women will have abortions no matter what lies in their path! making it illegal only makes the ordeal more of an ordeal..

I totally agree with this, the right or wrong aspect of the argument up to the individual. Pro choice all the way.

Advertisement