Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mandatory Paternity Leave

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

You'd be very surprised about how little interest SOME fathers can take... the baby just wouldn't be in tow, sad but unfortunately it happens :(

It's great that you have the option, although I'm sure the fact that you aren't entitled to any income would mean that a lot of fathers can't avail. What state are you in out of interest? I was surprised to find out recently that some states don't get any maternity leave (only the time they get certified off by docotr for recovery), let alone paternity leave :O

In the US under the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), people can take up to 12 weeks unpaid leave for personal or family medical issues. It's a federal law, so it applies everywhere. However, you need to have been working for a certain period of time, and I think small businesses may be exempt.

Most of my girlfriends who had babies used a combination of vacation time, sick leave, maternity leave and FMLA to stretch things out as far as possible before going back to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 lurky79

Hi All,

New to this, so apologies if im in the wrong forum for this!

I just wanted to know if there is a legal obligation on my part to tell my employers when my wife is due?

I'm just concerned that delaying it may affect my right to paternity leave....all 3 days of it :(......

I think there is some time frame or notice required, but just wanted to be sure.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

I live in Pennsylvania, but the FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) is a federal law, so should apply to all states.

AFAIK the first six weeks of maternity is technically "Short Term Disability" leave, where the mother's income is paid by her insurance company. Normally she can then take another six weeks unpaid. My wife was then able to take another twelve weeks off because of a policy internal to her company.

It does make it difficult not having an income for the time off, though I would guess it does also cut down on abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

Personally I would be very much in favour of some sort of official Paternity leave scheme. However, as an Employer I have to say that we simply couldn't afford to pay for more than a week (if even that) per person. Moreso this year it is totally unaffordable for most companys so I can't see how it would be funded. I know of companys already who look very carefully at employing women who could potentially have a child/children and would need to take time off for Maternity leave because of the cost. Sad but, unfortunately a fact of life at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

lurky79 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I just wanted to know if there is a legal obligation on my part to tell my employers when my wife is due?

I'm just concerned that delaying it may affect my right to paternity leave....all 3 days of it :(......

I think there is some time frame or notice required, but just wanted to be sure.

Cheers

Check what the policy is and how much notice you need to give.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

Starting my daddy-leave tomorrow. In eight weeks time I will post again to reveal how many lunchtime benders and silage-making sessions I managed to squeeze in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

LisaLee wrote: »
    I think Paternity Leave needs to be extended as having a baby changes things quite a bit and it helps to have support.

However, I think there should be some method used to ensure that the new father is actually helping and not gone on a bender or gallivanting away on holidays.

I can't help but worry how many people may abuse this system to get paid time off work. Skeptical me.

that is ridicolously insulting, of course new fathers arent as loving as new mothers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

lurky79 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Cheers

3days?? Your joking right? Thats absolutely awful!!Not time at all to enjoy the once in a lifetime experience of bonding with your new kiddie!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

Couldnt care less...im off on a round the world trip next month...god how could you go traveling and partying with kids???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 lurky79

panda100 wrote: »
    3days?? Your joking right? Thats absolutely awful!!Not time at all to enjoy the once in a lifetime experience of bonding with your new kiddie!

I know...3 days is all my company will cover....and I have twins on the way! In Ireland, paternity leave isn't compulsory so i'm lucky to get even that much time.

Hopefully i can get to know my kids when i retire? :)

There are women in my workplace that have been here as long as i have but i've never met them because they are on back to back pregnancy leave.......good work if you can get it, but thats a whole other arguement!

• Advertisement
Advertisement