Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mc Donalds Security Grafton St Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

truth of the matter is that the "security guard" didn't perform in a respectable manner.

its true that there are plenty of "junkies" going into bathrooms in places like McDonalds in order to burn some hash or shoot up (yes I do consider someone who smokes weed as a junkie - I consider a junkie to be someone who abuses drugs - doesn't matter if they are lesser drugs like weed)

and security must be strict on these people - boarderline treating them illegally.... some "security guards" dont know how to perform when faced with someone they suspect of doing drugs.

in this case the security guy - made allegations or implied you were using the toilet for something other than a dump/pee ..... if there were others around to witness then he has defamed you - infact you went to the manager and complained about the guy - as you felt threatened/degraded.

on a technicality you have a civil action against the person and mcdonalds - which could probably earn you a couple of grand .... but thats if you were one of these people who try to claim for everything.... the lowest of the low - in my opinion.... from what you have posted I doubt this is the case.

Best thing to do in this case is just forget about it and if it happens again - complain to the manager and make sure he tells the guy to go home as he is not suitable for doing his job (he might not be suited to retail security services - some of these security guards usually spend their days patrolling ghost estates and don't remember the training they got in retail security)

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭maneno

my apologies,wasnt trying to pull a race card,didnt know it was the norm to call security guards monkeys,as per op's thread,he specified the guy was african hence my sentiments,i stand corrected

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

PCPhoto wrote: »

in this case the security guy - made allegations or implied you were using the toilet for something other than a dump/pee ..... if there were others around to witness then he has defamed you - infact you went to the manager and complained about the guy - as you felt threatened/degraded.

on a technicality you have a civil action against the person and mcdonalds - which could probably earn you a couple of grand ....

Is this the case though ? If a garda pulled over my car and searched it for drugs on the side of a public road, he has not defamed me.

The security guards were to exit the cubicle. How is that defamation ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I think a letter of complaint and leave it at that would be my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

its true that there are plenty of "junkies" going into bathrooms in places like McDonalds in order to burn some hash or shoot up (yes I do consider someone who smokes weed as a junkie - I consider a junkie to be someone who abuses drugs - doesn't matter if they are lesser drugs like weed)

Clearly you've never come within 10 feet of cannabis.

OP, a bit of advice for these situations in general, if someone challenges you like that, tell them to go fcuk themselves. You did nothing wrong, he did. You shouldn't be the one feeling bad about yourself. Next time, threaten him somehow, legal action, violence or whatever, see his reaction then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

hopefully they can stamp out those coffee users as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Sadly just a sign of the times that junkies will try anywhere including a McDonald's full of kids to shoot up.
    Many fast food restaurants around certain area's have low "anti-junkie" doors, giving you very little privacy if having a dump.

I have in the past just leaned forward and opened the door (in posh hotels), but usually just tell them to f**k off (everywhere else).

ArtSmart wrote: »
    hopefully they can stamp out those coffee users as well.

I notice you conveniently skipped over the part of his post where he says "abuse drugs".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I use to have to do this a long time ago as in perform security in places with public toilets in some rough suburbs and the city centre.

The method we used.

If we suspected a user was inside normally due to someone reporting it like cleaners.

We would check under the door but not as close as to allow vision inside. we looked for a belt on the floor or the top of the pants. It was an indication the toilet was being properly "Used". Sometimes you would see the user passed out.

We also listened in the cubicle next to it for audible signs like lighters or the like.

The smell also may have given signs.

Now all this was done discreetly as possible. If we did have clear sign something was amiss we would clear the toilet and announce loudly we had to clear the toilet for cleaning purposes. Chances are the offender would either not anwer or the slurred speech would speak volumes. A clear response as the OP described would lead to us allowing the person to take their time.

At no piont would we ever behave as the OP described this moron behaved.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,946 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I notice you conveniently skipped over the part of his post where he says "abuse drugs".

What's abuse of drugs? If taking illegal drugs is abuse, then drinking coffee is abuse of a drug only difference is that it's legal abuse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

sesna wrote: »
    Is this the case though ? If a garda pulled over my car and searched it for drugs on the side of a public road, he has not defamed me.

The security guards were to exit the cubicle. How is that defamation ?

Gardai have a statutory power. Security guards don't. Op should write to head office about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I'm not so sure this belongs in Legal Discussion, perhaps After Hours? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Isn't the main issue here that the occupant was put in fear for his safety and therefore an assault may have been committed? It probably doesn't matter a lot to him whether or not the other guy was employed as a security guard or not, legally or not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

I was in the same mcdonalds a few weeks ago, it was pissing rain out and i had myt hood up and my headphones on, i just gotr to the counter when presumably the same security guard grabbed my arm, pulled out my headphones and started shouting at me that i had to take my hood down or get out, i wouldnt be served with my hood up.

now had he politely tapped my shoulder and asked i would have done it, but going about it the way he did, i refused, and asked for the manager. Im 35 and not a scaldie so i thought this treatment was uncalled for. Manager sided with the security, but by that time my back was up and i didnt want to eat there so i left, but i too wanted to make a complaint. im sure the guy puts up with a lotta **** in that job but theres no call for grabbing people and pulling out their earphones no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

I think what happened to the OP was outrageous.
    I think what happened to david75 was a lesson in manners.

david75 and the security guard need to learn the same lesson.

You are 35 and you want to be treated with respect when you dont even bother to remove your earphones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Scambuster

You sound as soft as the ****e you left behind.
    Why didn't you just tell him to **** off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

perhaps i didnt explain correctly, i was looking up at the menu when he grabbed me and simultaneously pulled out my earphones and started shouting at me to take my hood down. i hadnt even seen the guy up til that, it wasnt like i was trying to ignore him or anything, i was unaware of him completey until he grabbed me. clearer?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Scambuster wrote: »
    You sound as soft as the ****e you left behind.
    Why didn't you just tell him to **** off.

LOL.

so it's headbuster, not scambuster.

i hear the theme song from Rawhide in the background....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

OisinT wrote: »
    I'm not so sure this belongs in Legal Discussion, perhaps After Hours? lol
    You'd only end up getting another ban OisinT:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

Still dont know why places dont fit UV lights to stop junkies banging up or those other type of junkies,yes that scourge on society ,cannibis smokers!

Although UV wouldnt stop them smoking gear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

McDonalds' owners are terrified of complaints reaching their head office. So if I were you I would write a letter to the OWNER of the store and clearly mention you have CC'd it to McDonalds' HQ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭muffy

A similar situation happened me before in whatever bar has replaced Doran's in Temple Bar... a MALE security guard started banging on the door of the cubicle I was in, demanding I get out as i had "been in there for 15 mins". I had been in no longer than 3 mins. I'm a girl, lord only knows what kind of ladies things I might of been taking care off! I said to him that I have a stomach condition (I don't but many members of my family do), and he should think twice about barging in and making an absolute show of someone who might already have an awkward medical problem. I know its a pub and all that but the lack of professionalism stunned me. I was upset and embarrassed.

OP, please complain about this, people need to be more professional when dealing with bathroom situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

david75 wrote: »
    perhaps i didnt explain correctly, i was looking up at the menu when he grabbed me and simultaneously pulled out my earphones and started shouting at me to take my hood down. i hadnt even seen the guy up til that, it wasnt like i was trying to ignore him or anything, i was unaware of him completey until he grabbed me. clearer?

any physical contact is assault - complain to manager and also to the gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

sweet lord.

OP never should've left the store.i'd called Gardaí if unsatisfied with the managers attitude.

to the ignorant guy wearing a hoodie and earphones.grow up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

Clearly the security grunt thinks he is still in deepest Africa,
    and thinks its okay to shout and verbally abuse people.

Speak to the Irish management team, if they don't address it by cob, escalate to European level.

T-Square wrote: »
    Clearly the security grunt thinks he is still in deepest Africa,
    and thinks its okay to shout and verbally abuse people.

Speak to the Irish management team, if they don't address it by cob, escalate to European level.

What makes you think he is from Africa?

k_mac wrote: »
    What makes you think he is from Africa?

A black guy with an African accent is probably from Africa... but I hope your PC comment made you feel better.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

A black guy with an African accent is probably from Africa... but I hope your PC comment made you feel better.
    It was still a racist and bigoted comment and they will not be tolerated .

Op didn't say he had an African accent. Not all black people are from Africa, particularly not deepest Africa. And the assumption that people from Africa don't understand manners is equally racist.

• Advertisement

k_mac wrote: »
    Op didn't say he had an African accent. Not all black people are from Africa, particularly not deepest Africa. And the assumption that people from Africa don't understand manners is equally racist.

I agree the "deepest Africa" comment is out of line, but the fact that the OP was speaking to the man and said he was from Africa suggests he was in fact from Africa. I'm pretty sure if he had an English accent he would have said he was English, etc.

This topic isn't about race so please don't try to derail it.

Advertisement