Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to buy/ sell a stick? ***READ HERE***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

This isn't really about buying/selling a stick so much as just buying parts. I was wondering if anyone happens to have an octagonal restrictor plate that they don't use. Probably a long shot but thought I'd ask anyways. Btw I have a MadCatz TE stick.
    I do.
    €5 ok?

Should be in XGC Saturday.

*edit*
    lol hardter

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭powerofscience

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I do.
    €5 ok?

That sounds good to me unless hardter wants to sell me his for less.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

I know I sound like a bit of a stuck record saying this, but I'd keep the square gate.
    Octagonals are great and all if you're only playing on your stick, but if you ever have to use someone elses you'll be screwed.
    It really doesn't take long to get used to a square gate as long as you're not riding the gate into the corners. I'd generally only touch the midpoint of the sides and top and bottom if i was doing a 360, and if i need to hit a diagonal I know I can hit it.
    Have a look at the area of activation percentages too
    square_gate2.pngoctagon_gate.png

I bought an octagonal at the start as well, but when I relised I'd need to put the same effort into learning the octagonal as I would learning the square gate I stuck with the square, and in the end it paid off.

Well that is a really valid argument. Kiki what do you think?

edit*

After reading around I think sticking with the square gate is probably better. So thanks to both Kiki and hardter for offering.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Well that is a really valid argument. Kiki what do you think?

edit*

After reading around I think sticking with the square gate is probably better. So thanks to both Kiki and hardter for offering.

Reading is well and good, but you also have ample opportunity to "try before you buy" with the diversity of sticks in the scene. Try taking an octo and square gate for a whirl in similar play situations and see which you like better.

I have one of each, and I can tell you that PPC's image is pretty spot on: I have a brutal time hitting the bottom diagonals, for stuff like the AE Twin divekicks.

As a counterpoint, AnimaX who mained Rufus (who has the same divekick) refused to play as him without an octogate available :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

As a counterpoint, AnimaX who mained Rufus (who has the same divekick) refused to play as him without an octogate available :confused:

This is the major problem with it. It's not so much that he refused, he couldn't play on square gate.

As PPC said, it takes the same amount of time to learn square or octo gate but with a square gate you're learning to play on 99% sticks out there.

Orim wrote: »
    As PPC said, it takes the same amount of time to learn square or octo gate but with a square gate you're learning to play on 99% sticks out there.

Well since I've already spent the last couple of months learning on a square gate, and I feel pretty comfortable with it, I'll just stick with square.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭the 1st hardter

Well since I've already spent the last couple of months learning on a square gate, and I feel pretty comfortable with it, I'll just stick with square.

4 days using an octo gate has made me stay with square gate. It was way over sensitive for me really. Also kept missing some simple commands like 360s or DP. But if ya want to try it I can give it to ya for free and see if it sticks for ya

4 days using an octo gate has made me stay with square gate. It was way over sensitive for me really. Also kept missing some simple commands like 360s or DP. But if ya want to try it I can give it to ya for free and see if it sticks for ya

Well since you're offering for free I guess I'll give it a whirl and see how I like it. Thanks, I assume you'll be at casuals on Saturday?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

This is the major problem with it. It's not so much that he refused, he couldn't play on square gate.

I'm gonna say it again.

This is what happens with octo gates:

Person's execution sucks and they decide to do something about it. they see this alternate stick type the octogate, and go for it.

It feels weird but they put hundreds of hours into getting good with it and lo and behold, their execution is suddenly good.

They then attribute the change to the octogate and not their own work...

For a result they could have got just by doing the practice anyway AND could use everyone elses stick.

• Advertisement

IMHO, Seimitsu octogates (for LS-33, 55, 56) are actually very lovely to play on.

Sanwa's JLF octogate is... an aquired taste. (It's why I have one lying about ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭the 1st hardter

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    IMHO, Seimitsu octogates (for LS-33, 55, 56) are actually very lovely to play on.

Sanwa's JLF octogate is... an aquired taste. (It's why I have one lying about ;))

Yeah it's a Sanwa I have too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

Anyone willing to part with a TE for 100 euro? Looking to buy one early october to get one for amsterdam.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I picked up that Hori EX2 stick that I was asking about last week. I'm very impressed with the difference between a stick, and playing on the pad. It's seems incredibly swift and accurate. Gonna take me a while to get the swing of it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Funny this should come up now! I played in a tournament in oz at the weekend (first tournament I've entered since leaving ireland nearly a year ago). A replay of the stream is here, at 1 hour 20 mins.

You don't need to know rufus to know that I whiffed 3 clear ultras (which could have changed the match for me) and was also messing up galactic tornados. This was because I was using a square gate. I believe I could have won if I had my stick. My execution is also dodgy in the arcades here.

Nevertheless, if I do play SF again seriously, I will continue to use the octogate. My brain is calibrated to it. Playing with it gives me the confidence to execute what my brain plans to execute. Without it, I stuff up the ultras before I even do the motion because I've already failed it in my mind. No bull**** here, its purely down to confidence and reassurance.

At this stage I don't have the time and patience to go through a learning phase with a square because I will lose matches that I should win and it will take away my main enjoyment of street fighter - that it is a battle of tactics/strategy/mindgames, not a battle of execution.

Long story short, if you are new to stick and are facing a learning curve anyway, it would be best to use the square. However, if you are used to octo and you plan to always bring your own stick - there's nothing wrong with that, but you may find yourself in a position of frustration at some point if you're forced to use a square. The important thing is that you can execute everything that your brain plans to execute.

Plus, you won't have these boys borrowing your stick all the time and wearing it out :P

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

animaX wrote: »

Funny this should come up now! I played in a tournament in oz at the weekend (first tournament I've entered since leaving ireland nearly a year ago). A replay of the stream is here, at 1 hour 20 mins.

You don't need to know rufus to know that I whiffed 3 clear ultras (which could have changed the match for me) and was also messing up galactic tornados. This was because I was using a square gate. I believe I could have won if I had my stick. My execution is also dodgy in the arcades here.

Nevertheless, if I do play SF again seriously, I will continue to use the octogate. My brain is calibrated to it. Playing with it gives me the confidence to execute what my brain plans to execute. Without it, I stuff up the ultras before I even do the motion because I've already failed it in my mind. No bull**** here, its purely down to confidence and reassurance.

At this stage I don't have the time and patience to go through a learning phase with a square because I will lose matches that I should win and it will take away my main enjoyment of street fighter - that it is a battle of tactics/strategy/mindgames, not a battle of execution.

Long story short, if you are new to stick and are facing a learning curve anyway, it would be best to use the square. However, if you are used to octo and you plan to always bring your own stick - there's nothing wrong with that, but you may find yourself in a position of frustration at some point if you're forced to use a square. The important thing is that you can execute everything that your brain plans to execute.

Plus, you won't have these boys borrowing your stick all the time and wearing it out :P

Well said Terry.

I went to an Octo gate because I couldn't get down mk consistently doing chuns stomp.

In AE 2012 they've changed it to down or df and mk. If they did that in the first place I'd still be on square gates now :D .

Definitely though people should stick to square gates if at all possible because of all the things Animax listed above.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭hdaniel

Xinkai wrote: »
    Anyone willing to part with a TE for 100 euro? Looking to buy one early october to get one for amsterdam.
    Im actually buying a new qanba in the next few days which should be sent in about 10 days according to their email
    And i have a modded madcatz SE with all sanwa parts.Red and white buttons and a clear red bubble top.So its all the same parts of a TE expect fancier:rolleyes:
    Intrested?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

hdaniel wrote: »
    Im actually buying a new qanba in the next few days which should be sent in about 10 days according to their email
    And i have a modded madcatz SE with all sanwa parts.Red and white buttons and a clear red bubble top.So its all the same parts of a TE expect fancier:rolleyes:
    Intrested?
    i am... interested in some xbox 360 games and cash for that? some really good games im finished with if you are interested?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Lads. Adverts. I can't have trading going on here. Tis in the first post why.

Lads. Adverts. I can't have trading going on here. Tis in the first post why.
    sorry doom... ill pm poster apologies again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭hdaniel

http://www.adverts.ie/xbox/madcatz-street-fighter-4-arcadestick-fight-stick-modded-with-sanwa-parts/883219
    There it is on adverts
    And dark knight i cant reply to your message your inbox is full

hdaniel wrote: »
    http://www.adverts.ie/xbox/madcatz-street-fighter-4-arcadestick-fight-stick-modded-with-sanwa-parts/883219
    There it is on adverts
    And dark knight i cant reply to your message your inbox is full
    try again mate i deleted a ton of pms there so you can pm away now

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Feckin' B15sdm

He makes all other stick-makers look like bitches!

Feckin' B15sdm

He makes all other stick-makers look like bitches!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭aeonfusion

Wasn't really sure where to put this but seeing as this is a thread about sticks, my question is about sticks (sort of) and i didn't think it warrented it's own thread so i figured here would be best.

So basically i seen in the DOC4 thread about people having converters for PS3 to 360, i was under the impression that you needed to dualmod your stick in order to get it to work on another system and i didn't wanna rush out and buy a converter that either doesn't work or will have some mental lag that makes it useless. I have a HRAP V3 SA which does make it more complicated, the only info i could find one it was a post on SRK with serveral people asking if you could use a converter and no replies to it :( I wanted to get it sorted so i could go to the next inferno (have to go to a christening on the 1st now :( ) so any info on what converter or anyone who wouldn't mind letting me test it on one of their converters at casuals or something would be great.

Failing all that is there anyone that's perticularly good at dual modding around? I have an old 360 controller that i thought was broken until i opened it and realised that it was just one of the cables in the usb cable that was disconnected from the PCB. I was going to do it myself but seeing as have no tools, have never moded any arcade stick and haven't soldered anything more complicated than a guitar lead in about 3 years i was thinking it'd probably be best to just get someone who actually has the tools and know how to do it. Obviously i would pay for the work and i'd help if needed, i done a year of electronics in college but as i said it was about 3 years ago so i'm quite rusty.

Anyway my first preference would be to get a converter if i know it's gonna work, but any info on either question would be greatly appriciated...cause i really wanna start going to tournaments and leveling up :D

wheres the best place to buy a custom made stick? cant seem to find the sites with the fancy ass sticks you huys post pics of???

• Registered Users Posts: 10,976 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

wheres the best place to buy a custom made stick? cant seem to find the sites with the fancy ass sticks you huys post pics of???

www.shadaloo.eu are probably the cheapest custom sticks out there.

B15 is who makes the crazy expensive ones: http://www.b15sdmdesigns.com/

any modded sticks or custom sticks for sale fron any of the regulars here? cash waiting :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,976 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

any modded sticks or custom sticks for sale fron any of the regulars here? cash waiting :D

Ry is trying to get rid of his B15.

Unfortunately, he's already started selling raffle tickets for it.

Advertisement