Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

man refused entry to restaurant for wearing tracksuit - punches manager!

Options
  • 20-10-2010 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭

read this on yesterday's Evening Herald that a man was refused entry into a restaurant in Lord Edward Street in Dublin 2 because he wore a tracksuit. He got angry for being refused and punched the manager before the staff restrained him and called the cops. Do you think restaurants, bars, niteclubs etc are right to have dress code policies?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,979 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Gumshield, boxing gloves and tux.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Self-fulfilling prophecy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

ongarboy wrote: »
    read this on yesterday's Evening Herald that a man was refused entry into a restaurant in Lord Edward Street in Dublin 2 because he wore a tracksuit. He got angry for being refused and punched the manager before the staff restrained him and called the cops. Do you think restaurants, bars, niteclubs etc are right to have dress code policies?

Yes and this scummer's reaction explains why.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭La Haine

Sure are boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Why not?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I think this case illustrates the need for such dress codes quite nicely...

The guy punched the manager.
    Can you imagine how tracksuit man would have reacted if once inside the restaurant he didn't like something about the service or the food?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Of course they have a right to enforce clothing policy. I don't to have to watch some ruddy cunt with his hands down his tracksuit while eating my grub!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,486 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Right? They're right if it works. If they make it too restrictive, they'll lose customers. Too lax, they'll lose customers. It's up to the business who they want to target (except for discrimination against gender, age, ethnicity etc). I believe they're required to make their dress-code public though

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭spadesaspade

I would imagine it was the look of the guy that kept him out, every manager has the right to refuse anyone who might cause trouble, unlucky for him. Hope he gets a few years for smacking him

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Do you think restaurants
    Depending on the restuarant, in your local chinese, no dress code, fancy eatery, yes
    bars
    yes, no tracksuits, its not hard to wear a pants or jeans
    , niteclubs
    see previous
    etc are right to have dress code policies?

In short, yes, yes they have a right IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

damn, guys gotta look classy on a night out 'cause they got nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

Yes, Im in favour of these thinly veiled no-scumbag policies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Yes I do. I couldn't imagine going to a nice restaurant in a tracksuit :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

It's private property, and they have the right to admit who they want (barring the whole woman\race thing).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

If you extend this reasoning, then there has never ever been any trouble in any bar or nightclub that refuses entry to people in tracksuits.

As for dress codes; their business; their call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

the man is right, he was treated with ignorance and he responded to it..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,486 ✭✭✭✭28064212

charlemont wrote: »
    First of all, violence is not a reasonable response to ignorance. Secondly, was he treated any differently to anyone else who turned up in a tracksuit? If a multi-millionaire turned up at the restaurant in a tracksuit, he should be turned away. If the guy in the story had turned up respectably dressed, he would have been admitted. Where's the ignorance?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Liberalbrehon

Are you saying he was right to assault the manager?
    I am seriously restraining myself from telling you off but I'll start with this
    Anything else you condone? murder, knife crime, mugging, rape (sure she was asking for it)
    Really, engage some of the braincells you have to think of the consequences of what you are saying.
    If a waiter or shop assistant was ignorant to you (I could understand why) are you saying you have the right to assault that person?

Aaaarrrggghhh

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

.....he was treated with ignorance and he responded to it........

How so? Unless you can prove an exception was made for him, he was sunject to the same rules as everyone else. That's like saying if I start smoking in a pub I should punch the manager if he tells me to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Jesus, there's always one!

If you don't want to be treated like a scumbag, don't dress or act like one.

I doubt the tracksuit was the only give away that this fella was a skanger, you can usually tell by looking at them.

Turns out the manager was right, he was a scumbag, otherwise he wouldn't have punched the manager he would have called the guards, or reported the restaurant for discrimination.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Well I wouldn't allow a bloke dressed as a klansman into Fat Al's Soul Kitchen or a neo-Nazi skinhead into the Bombay Palace either, based on dress code :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

28064212 wrote: »
    violence is not a reasonable response to ignorance.

It is if your a complete sh!tbag, and then you have bigger sh!tbags defending them from some keyboard thinking to themselves "trackies rule maan(in scummer accent)"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Can you confirm that you are not actually a complete skanger? A pic and a copy of this evening's Heddild in it for verification purposes.

Jesus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

It wasn't just about being refused entry though - sounds like there was a bit of a build up and it could have been handled better by the restaurant.
    He lost his temper when he tried to complain to the manager, and when he asked the manager's name he was told it was "Mickey Mouse".

and this is how the Guards saw it:
    Garda Barry Keegan said Smullen went into the restaurant and tried to order food but was refused service as he was not wearing the appropriate attire.

Garda Keegan said the defendant became aggressive, and demanded to speak to the bar manager.

He then stuck out a leg and attempted to trip the manager, who was carrying plates of food at the time.

The court heard that staff restrained Smullen, and during the scuffle he hit out and punched the manager on the lip. He received only a slight cut.

From the original Herald report.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Was not the manager then well within his rights to get a large cleaver from the kitchen and hack the tracksuited gent to mincemeat in self-defence?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

Are you saying he was right to assault the manager?
    I am seriously restraining myself from telling you off but I'll start with this
    Anything else you condone? murder, knife crime, mugging, rape (sure she was asking for it)
    Really, engage some of the braincells you have to think of the consequences of what you are saying.
    If a waiter or shop assistant was ignorant to you (I could understand why) are you saying you have the right to assault that person?

Aaaarrrggghhh

Bit of an overreaction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Ruu wrote: »
    Of course they have a right to enforce clothing policy. I don't to have to watch some ruddy cunt with his hands down his tracksuit while eating my grub!

i saw a girl do it the other day standing at a busstop.

not rubbing but as if she was scratching her balls !

mind she only looked about 12 or 13

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

Am I the only person that really and truly just doesn't give a **** what someone wears, be it Prada, Gucci, Pennys, hoopy earrings, ugg boots etc etc. I honestly just never gave a **** what anyone wears and it really boggles my mind that it seems to bother other people. LIke the pyjama wearers don't bother me AT ALL, don't wear them myself but that's coz I live in jeans, anywho I've seen people almost foam at the mouth with rage over this. Honestly puzzles me how people can worry about this ****, to me, as long as your covered I literally couldn't care less.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

prinz wrote: »
    How so? Unless you can prove an exception was made for him, he was sunject to the same rules as everyone else. That's like saying if I start smoking in a pub I should punch the manager if he tells me to stop.

smoking in a pub is illegal. Wearing a tracksuit is not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Well I wouldn't allow a bloke dressed as a klansman into Fat Al's Soul Kitchen or a neo-Nazi skinhead into the Bombay Palace either, based on dress code :pac:

I love Bombay Pantry, yummy food - dammit, and now I want :pac:

Advertisement