Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Robert Jordan - Wheel of Time - Towers of Midnight [SPOILERS]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 StewartJ

fitz wrote: »
    Enjoyed it.
    Shocking editing though...

Agree totally

Only 100 pages left im really enjoying it dont want it to finish to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Was pretty good, only a year and a half till we can finally finish this series.

Also
    Does anyone else feel that the book would have been better if Gawyn had died before Egwene bonded him, or even just after she did. There's no sense of danger in the series anymore, the one main character who was kind of killed off is now back, you'd think that with the last battle so close people would be dropping like flies.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

Having read the first 4 books is it me or would Perrins story make a good book on its own? The best part of the story?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Another really good book thankfully. I enjoyed book 12 more I think, but part of that may have been down to not knowing it was going to be as good as it was. I expected it a bit more this time.

I thought that having a lot of the Perrin story arc happen on the same timeline as a lot of the last book was a bit weird, but that's what will happen when you need to turn it from 1 book into 3 I guess.

I assume
    that whitecloak that tried to kill perrin during the battle against the trollocs the person that she had well placed? I expected it to turn out to be Berelain or Alliandre, although that would have been too convenient I guess, since one of them could have killed him at any time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

OK - so I finished the book yesterday, same day the Irish Times reports it at top of fiction Bestseller list :)

There were so many things about the story I loved, I don't know where to begin, but I've listed a few of them below. Most people know this is very much Perrin's story, which worried me a bit as tbh I used to find him a bit dull. Suffice to say my opinion has changed, and Perrin is at the centre of some Epic action. Loved it.

There were also so many poignant moments there too, and I can't believe I'm thinking this, but now that the story is unerringly pointed towards conclusion in 12 months time, I want it to slow down again (almost). I've been reading this series for nearly 20 years, and the thought of these characters stories (I feel that I know them intimately at this stage) ending isn't something I like to consider. Then again, there are neither beginnings nor endings.....

So, some of my best bits in no particular order.... spoiler weave on:
    Graendal's escape
    Perrin throughout
    Perrin stopping balefire - and Egwene's reaction
    Mesaana's fall
    Finding out who killed Asmo (finally)
    Slayer / White Tower Matrix style battle
    Nynaeve was BRILLIANT throughout, not least healing the madness and her kick-ass testing
    Power forged weapon - a new one!
    Moiraine......
    Rand's visit to the WT
    "You could call me Rand Sedai".....
    Aviendha's scary visions of the future
    Rand destroying the army of trollocs in Borderlands
    Lanfear's reappearance - bad bad feeling about this, particualrly after what SH said to Graendal about 'another being chosen'.....
    Finding out wo Boundless is.....
    And lastly Lan's final charge, very emotional scene

Well done Robert & Brandon, a fantastic penultimate novel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭xxshebeexx

I stayed up all night last night to finish it - less than 24 hours, a new record for me with WOT :)

I didn't catch many of these spelling/editing mistakes. Maybe I was reading too fast! In a way, that was good, it didn't spoil anything for me :)

Towers of Midnight was infinitely better than The Gathering Storm .. although I'm still trying hard to get used to Sanderson. He's good, but I really enjoyed Jordan's slow, rambling style. I guess I'm one of the few people who loved all his flowery, slow additions :)

Anyone else wonder how Tam al'Thor managed to be a few places at the same time? With Rand, then with Perrin, then somewhere else, supposedly? Maybe we were supposed to guess there were gateways involved but it's never stated, so it comes across as odd.

Perrin's storyline is wonderful.
    It's so lovely to finally see him coming into his own. Out of all the central characters, it was beginning to feel like he was being left behind. They all embraced their paths and their destinies (even Mat, despite his reluctance and complaints) but Perrin was doing his utmost to fight it. I wish he would finally defeat Slayer and unmask him. His control of the Wolf Dream and surprising Egwene was just impressive.
    He's definitely coming into his own!
    Lanfear. Just go away already. Die or whatever.

Mat's story was a little predictable in some ways. We knew what he had to do and
    off he went to go and do it. Jain Farstrider's reveal was a little bit of a let down .. because it had already been hinted at, it didn't really have an impact, like it could have. Although, finally, we got to find out more about the original prophecies of the Eelfinn and Aelfinn.. half the light to save the world.. I would never have guessed the meaning of that! And the inscription on the spear.. I love moments when it all becomes clear and so obvious that you kick yourself for not having guessed before - I mean, why did Mat get the spear, if he had not asked for a weapon? Oh, that was delicious!

I don't really understand why it was called The Towers of Midnight. We hardly see the Seanchan enough in the book to warrant it being named after what is in one of their cities. The throwaway snippet of Fortuona was uncomfortable.. I'd started liking her and that's rather gone now.
    And ooh, Elaida, you're after messing up big time. Travelling Seanchan is not a good thing, nope.
    Aviendha's sections were good, but inappropriately placed. They should have been developed more, or placed in an epilogue, as a haunting prophecy of the future (maybe there won't be a happy ending and so on and so forth).
    Badly judged, in my opinion.
    Gawyn and Egwene. Finally. Thom and Moiraine? Not so cool. I'm usually all for characters getting together (oh, squee, I'm still a shipper, harking back to my young fandom days!) but this didn't do it for me. Moiraine, I want to know what happened to you, what questions you asked and what you're going to do, not how you want to marry Thom. Thank you. Galad and Berelain .. what beautiful kiddies they'll have!

Overall, fantastic book though! The fast pace was exciting, the characters true and the story just nail biting! Another year for the next one.. argh.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,406 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I noticed a couple of editing issues at the start of the book, first 100-150 pages or so, but after that either they weren't there or the action was so good I didn't notice.

Super read from start to finish. Loved both Perrin and Matt's story lines.

The more I read later WOT books, the more respect I have for Jordan, the guy must have had an encylopedia for a brain.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

ArthurG wrote: »

Perrin stopping balefire - and Egwene's reaction

Finding out who killed Asmo (finally)
    #1 - definitely agree, that was brilliant! :D

#2 - what?! did I miss or forget that?? :eek:

xxshebeexx wrote: »
    Aviendha's sections were good, but inappropriately placed. They should have been developed more, or placed in an epilogue, as a haunting prophecy of the future (maybe there won't be a happy ending and so on and so forth).
    Badly judged, in my opinion.

I don't know, I think it's going to be built on. It's enough of a teaser to make you want more, but we'll know all about it in the next one. So I think anyway.

bluewolf wrote: »
    #1 - definitely agree, that was brilliant! :D

#2 - what?! did I miss or forget that?? :eek:

I don't know, I think it's going to be built on. It's enough of a teaser to make you want more, but we'll know all about it in the next one. So I think anyway.

#2 was apparently released in the Glossaryat the back of TGS, which is a bit of a sh!tty way to release it. It was
    Graendal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭xxshebeexx

Oh, it was definitely a great teaser and it was really great but I just found the placing off!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

Picked this up yesterday. I'm only on Chapter 3 so far but even this early it seems to be moving at a good pace and going towards to something big happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Finished it in two days and I liked it more than tGS. What I enjoyed was Perrin's arc and the bits and bobs of some other chapters like Rand and the apples and what was going on in one of the channelers hang outs. Mat was better but the thing been waiting for ages felt a bit rough. The major problem I had with Mat's arc was Noal, bit of a let down.

Can't wait for more of Fain.

Also reading the book again at a much slowing pace. Skipped Perrin's bits again even though I liked. Have to keep up the tradition.

Roll on 2012.

Finished it now and really enjoyed it. It's the first time I've enjoyed a Perrin storyline since they left the Two Rivers (for the second time).
    Moiraine coming back was good, but a bit of an anti-climax after all this time.

I'm not sure about Sanderson's Mat. While I still liked the storyline, I felt that his portrayal of Mat is a little bit off.
    Although, It was funny how Oliver's POV was so similar to Mat's

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

matrim wrote: »

I'm not sure about Sanderson's Mat. While I still liked the storyline, I felt that his portrayal of Mat is a little bit off.
    Although, It was funny how Oliver's POV was so similar to Mat's
    It hit me this morning - and I know this is going to put me into the 'get a life' category - that Mat's note to elayne&nynaeve in ebou dar - what was that, book 6 or 7? - had perfect spelling but the Sanderson one was comically bad.

I duno, it was kinda funny and not a big deal... but I think I would have preferred the ok spelling but not very polite approach

It hit me this morning - and I know this is going to put me into the 'get a life' category - that Mat's note to elayne&nynaeve in ebou dar - what was that, book 6 or 7? - had perfect spelling but the Sanderson one was comically bad.

I duno, it was kinda funny and not a big deal... but I think I would have preferred the ok spelling but not very polite approach

I really didn't like that note, the spelling felt like Sanderson was taking the p!ss out of him.

I thought it was a really great book building up suspense for the Last Book.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Liked it, but the
    tower rescue
    seemed a little rushed compared to the whole
    long dreamspike bit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Seeing as i started this thread i think i should comment!

Enjoyed overall - cant remember exactly what it was but remember a feeling of dissatisfaction in the middle of reading the book. Otherwise i think the most striking thing was
    the future visions of the aiel, i was in shock i must say, it was a master stroke, especially as it was induced by their own decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

I've about 80 pages left in the book.Its so different to RJ in so many ways.You get the feeling he is really rushing the story now and not really doing it justice.I have to say there was an amazing series of events and scene's in the middle of the book but i wont give away anything.
    I liked the fast pace of the book at the start but theres something unsatisfying about it now.Still cant wait to finish this book this weekend and for the last book next year:).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭mar-z

Aiel wrote: »
    I've about 80 pages left in the book.Its so different to RJ in so many ways.You get the feeling he is really rushing the story now and not really doing it justice.I have to say there was an amazing series of events and scene's in the middle of the book but i wont give away anything.
    I liked the fast pace of the book at the start but theres something unsatisfying about it now.Still cant wait to finish this book this weekend and for the last book next year:).

A major complaint/criticism of Jordan's later books in the series is the length of time it took for things to happen, he kind of seemed to get bogged down in the detail and wouldn't let the story progress (as far as I know the series was orignally supposed to be 6/7 books iirc).

There was an awful lot for Sanderson to resolve in what was originally one book. The fact that they extended it to 3 books shows (imo) that it was anything but rushed (unless it was to be say 5 books)

I like the way that things are moving more quickly now as the story is coming to a head, it kind of ties up with the chaos that the 'Dark One' is trying to instill on the world
    I think a command from one of the forsaken was "Let the Lord of Chaos rule" or something to that effect
    . Thats why I'm unsure whether the new faster pace is something Sanderson is bringing to the series or if it was something planned by Jordan and had he lived (RIP) the books may have been seen as a return to form from people who were critical of the last book or two before. Judging by the amount of events that needed to be tied up/progressed before the end I think it was planned to be more fast paced and urgent as everyone focusses on the last battle.

This wasn't really meant to be quite so long or jumping all over your opinion like it might have ended up (:o) but I feel the pacing is right as things are gearing up to one final confrontation.

What I didn't like about the book were some of the details as mentioned in this thread like Mat's letter and the placement of finding out
    who killed Asmodean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I completely missed the bit about
    who killed Asmodeon

Where was it?

fitz wrote: »
    Enjoyed it.
    Shocking editing though...

I wanted to kill the editor - soooo many mistakes...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

eVeNtInE wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I've stopped reading those :o

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Amazon are selling this for £5.73. Ordered myself a copy last night.

ixoy wrote: »
    Amazon are selling this for £5.73. Ordered myself a copy last night.

Who hasn't read it by now? :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Trojan wrote: »
    Me :) It's shipped and I'll read it soon enough after the Evolutionary Void.

Trojan wrote: »

The slow readers who decided to reread the rest of them first ;)

ixoy wrote: »
    Me :) It's shipped and I'll read it soon enough after the Evolutionary Void.

You. Absolute. Legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

xxshebeexx wrote: »
    Anyone else wonder how Tam al'Thor managed to be a few places at the same time? With Rand, then with Perrin, then somewhere else, supposedly? Maybe we were supposed to guess there were gateways involved but it's never stated, so it comes across as odd.

Tam appears to be in two places at once because the timelines are slightly out of sync at that stage of the book. If you remember Tam appeared near the end of Gathering Storm, there was a confrontation and Rand tore away to Dragonmount. Perrin saw this event in Tel'aran'rhiod about midway through Towers of Midnight, shortly after Tam had told Perrin that he was leaving for a time.

I was slightly confused as well for a time as well though to be fair.

Everything I would say about the book has already been mention here but just to echo some.
    The book is quickly hurtling towards the conclusion (whether we want to get there or not) and the pace of Towers of Midnight was just immense (after the rather slow first few chapters)
    Mat is sadly no longer the Mat we once knew, Sanderson just doesn't seem to be able to capture him unfortunately and it was very apparent this time around since there was, by necessity, so much of him.
    We have Moraine back! The last few chapters really were edge of the seat stuff and brilliant to read

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Cosmic Penguin

I completely missed the bit about
    who killed Asmodeon

Where was it? QUOTE]
    It was mentioned in the book - Moridin (I think) spoke to Graendal about being responsible for the deaths of 3 chosen (Aran'gar, Graendal and ???) By method of elimination, it was Asmo

Advertisement