Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some of the reasons I'm not sure changing from iphone to galaxy s was a good idea

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,573 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Gucky wrote: »
    It asks me to enter a password, warns me this action in not reversable, the n reboots.
    As soon as my phone repowers up, it still has all my contacts, can log into gmail without entering a password, and all in all, it seems to me that the reset didnt work at all!
    Strange, definitely doesn't seem to have worked so. It may be something to do with it being rooted so, which isn't something I've done, so you may need someone else to walk you through it so

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Just wondering if this is true? I see Zascar didn't get the desired results but what is your logic behind the suggestion?
    Reading the thread would be a good start.

Just wondering if this is true? I see Zascar didn't get the desired results but what is your logic behind the suggestion?
    Read my posts above, specifically here and here

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Sorry, had two threads open on separate tabs and thought I had read to the end of the wrong one. It was a late night. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

28064212 wrote: »
    Yes, it'll go back to being branded. What do you mean you still have data on the phone? There's no such thing as an external sd card (or at least, none you're actually going to get). There's internal storage (which isn't an sd card, and a factory reset wipes this) and there's an internal sd card (which isn't wiped). You can go ahead and wipe the sd card if there's no data you need on it

There are apps that don't behave correctly. For example, a recent update to Layar on my phone has caused it to run in an active state every time the phone boots and it starts up the GPS. Having the GPS on all day would kill the battery. However, a task killer is not the best approach to it. In Layar's case, I just have to open the app and exit it again. Problem solved. Resources are released in a proper fashion. Now, if Layar was written incorrectly and failed to exit, then I would resort to a task killer. But that is only necessary in a tiny minority of apps.

Having an app in the background does not take up resources. They may have 'reserved' memory, but that is released on-demand. According to Advanced Task Killer, I have about 15 apps that are 'active'. I use maybe 5 of them on a day-to-day basis. I'll still get 3, maybe even 4 days battery out of my phone (Samsung Galaxy Spica). That's with mobile data and Bluetooth turned off, WiFi and GPS on only when I need it, brightness turned down and only widgets that I actually use on the homescreen. And no task-killer. If you're that worried about closing apps, use the back button to exit instead of the home button. The back button is more 'aggressive' about closing them

I tried without a task killer using the back button but that is a nightmare with the internet browser as I could have open 20 websites that you spend 10 mins trying to keep going back to get out of the frigging thing.:mad:

• Advertisement

angel01 wrote: »
    I tried without a task killer using the back button but that is a nightmare with the internet browser as I could have open 20 websites that you spend 10 mins trying to keep going back to get out of the frigging thing.:mad:
    I already answered that for you in the other thread.

Just press the menu button, select "Windows", close down any open windows, then press back

I already answered that for you in the other thread.

Just press the menu button, select "Windows", close down any open windows, then press back

I didn't see that, thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,147 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Zascar wrote: »
    My battery was fully charged before I went to bed last night, and right now, it has less than half left

Do you not charge your phone while your asleep? Might be the best thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭long_b

Folks, when it comes to battery life don't forget that your handset is still a phone - the strength of signal to the nearest cell tower may have a big effect too.

The poorer the signal the harder phone has to work to stay connected.

Also, consider using Tasker to switch your phone to airplane mode during the night to save energy if you don't mind being "off air" while you sleep.

The battery is utter pants :(

I charged to 100% at 4pm - after using phone on and off mobile internet for say 1 hour and 2 calls, I am now at 73%. I did turn the data off. Its rubbish. :(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

lol what do ye expect ?

1ghz processor and a large screen.

only time my phone lasted 2 days was literally sweet feck all usage. other than that it last me a good day with some music and internet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

(@GUCKY) has shared a Tweet with you:

"samsungukmobile: The Froyo upgrade will be available in the UK from early November and we expect all operator versions to be available by the end of November"
    --

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Android is a multi tasking OS.

It controls the app life-cycle itself to achieve this, as in it decides when something should be fully killed, this allows you to push one app to the background and leave it in its saved stated, use any amount of other apps and come back to the app in the same state as you left it.

With a task killer your breaking this, most of the time this is fine but task killers abuse one of Androids API's to achieve this, not a good thing and its likely to be blocked in future versions. They do however work but they are not the correct answer to Androids problems.

From 2.2 onwards anyway Task killers are redundant as you can control the apps that are running yourself from manage applications in the settings menu.

To help with battery drain try these measures to prolong battery life:

Turn off back ground data when not needed - With this on your allowing apps to periodically connect through wifi or your data connection to look for updates.

Turn off wifi when not in a hotspot - if you leave wifi on when you dont need it or are not connected it will continually scan for access points.

Dim your screen - dim the screen when you dont need it to be at its full brightness, this will save loads of battery as the screen is a huge drain on the battery

With Froyo learn how to close long running services via the devices in built app management.

draffodx wrote: »
    Android is a multi tasking OS.

It controls the app life-cycle itself to achieve this, as in it decides when something should be fully killed, this allows you to push one app to the background and leave it in its saved stated, use any amount of other apps and come back to the app in the same state as you left it.

With a task killer your breaking this, most of the time this is fine but task killers abuse one of Androids API's to achieve this, not a good thing and its likely to be blocked in future versions. They do however work but they are not the correct answer to Androids problems.

From 2.2 onwards anyway Task killers are redundant as you can control the apps that are running yourself from manage applications in the settings menu.

To help with battery drain try these measures to prolong battery life:

Turn off back ground data when not needed - With this on your allowing apps to periodically connect through wifi or your data connection to look for updates.

Turn off wifi when not in a hotspot - if you leave wifi on when you dont need it or are not connected it will continually scan for access points.

Dim your screen - dim the screen when you dont need it to be at its full brightness, this will save loads of battery as the screen is a huge drain on the battery

With Froyo learn how to close long running services via the devices in built app management.

I am already doing all of the above and the screen can't be any darker

angel01 wrote: »
    I am already doing all of the above and the screen can't be any darker

And how long does it last?

I can get 2 -3 days easily out of my Nexus One without using a task killer and following those steps.

This includes heavy texting using the native SMS app, some light app usage of things like next train, barcode scanner and jaertel, and some medium usage of the browser.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Every time you want to close the tasks. An Automatic Task Killer requires no interaction once it's set up.

I get your points about the task killers and it all sounds logical. I've been using an Automatic Task Killer since May (now I'm on 2.2) and my phone has been rock solid so I haven't seen any bad affects. I think a lot of the newer apps are written a bit better too now so that when you exit some they actually close rather than linger in the background.

When not using 3G mobile I can get 2 days from the phone (i.e. take off charge in the morning and charge at the end of the next day). When I use 3G it seems to need charging every night.

Every time you want to close the tasks. An Automatic Task Killer requires no interaction once it's set up.

This in itself means that the task killer is a long running background service that will itself drain battery.

:p

tried this turning mobile data malarky off, some fun when you need net access back on though! My galaxy requires rebooting to regain 3g/h signal nearly every time
    :confused:

tried this turning mobile data malarky off, some fun when you need net access back on though! My galaxy requires rebooting to regain 3g/h signal nearly every time

It shouldn't, sounds like you've bought a real lemon, bring it back and get it replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭boardswalker

I just checked the SAR (Specific Absorption Rate) levels for the Galaxy and I am surprised how low it is.

The Galaxy is showing as 0.238 W/kg.
    My last phone a Blackberry Storm was 0.67. The apple iphone4 is 0.93.
    I am very surprised that the Galaxy is so low (low is good) but the same number is showing on a number of sources.

Here's a good website.
    http://www.sarshield.com/english/radiationchart.htm

I use the headset as much as I can but find it difficult to use it all the time. If I expect a long call I make a bigger effort to use it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I put juice defender on my phone the other day. Last night I went to bed and the battery was in the orange. This morning it was in the red, but I was amazed it lasted the night as many other times it has been in the green, maybe 1/3 full but still did not last till the morning!

I disabled the apnonoff app because it did the same to me

It shouldn't, sounds like you've bought a real lemon, bring it back and get it replaced.
    I don't think so, I think it's an Android issue. At least it was in 2.1, I don't know if it was resolved in 2.2, but it sounds like it hasn't.

I had the same problem with my mobile data, (although I was using APNDroid to turn off the data). It turns out there's a issue in Android with renaming of the APNs (which is how apps turn off the data - changing the APN to an invalid one). When you rename it back to what it should be, Android doesn't refresh it's settings. So what I did was:
    1. Go to "Settings => Wireless and Networks =>Mobile Networks => Access Point Names"
    2. Press Menu, then New APN
    3. Set the Name field to 'Fake', the APN field to 'fake', and the APN type to 'internet'
    Now, whenever you want to turn data off, set the APN to your new 'Fake' one, and to your regular one when you want it on. I've never had to reboot my phone to turn data on since I did this (months ago). For a shortcut to the APN selection screen, I installed the "APN OnOff" widget. I never use the actual widget switch (always leave it on green), instead, I set the label to go to the settings, and click on that.

A good way of diagnosing whether your data connection is actually active is to use the "3G Watchdog" app. Install it, open it, go into settings, and make sure the option "Notification Icon -> Visibility" is set to "visible if 3G active". Then, if your mobile data is actually active, there'll be a notification in the status bar. This only shows if it's actually active, it doesn't show if it runs into the issue above

I don't think so, I think it's an Android issue. At least it was in 2.1, I don't know if it was resolved in 2.2, but it sounds like it hasn't.

The poster is on 2.1 update-1, it is definitely not an issue in 2.2 as its a standard option to turn it on and off.

Pre 2.2 when the APN is changed it also has to be saved, whatever app that is being used to do this must not be saving the new details for the APN

The poster is on 2.1 update-1, it is definitely not an issue in 2.2 as its a standard option to turn it on and off.

Pre 2.2 when the APN is changed it also has to be saved, whatever app that is being used to do this must not be saving the new details for the APN
    AFAIK, it's not possible for apps to update the saved APN (I tried with many, many apps). Once the APN is switched to a fake name, Android will periodically try to connect. After a certain number of tries, it will give up and mark the APN settings as 'bad' (connecting to a WiFi network in the meantime seems to encourage it). It should re-read them after the change back to the correct APN, but it doesn't (even if you do it manually, without an app, this behaviour appears). A reboot is needed

Is the 2.2 method a standard Android option or a standard HTC option?

AFAIK, it's not possible for apps to update the saved APN (I tried with many, many apps). Once the APN is switched to a fake name, Android will periodically try to connect. After a certain number of tries, it will give up and mark the APN settings as 'bad' (connecting to a WiFi network in the meantime seems to encourage it). It should re-read them after the change back to the correct APN, but it doesn't (even if you do it manually, without an app, this behaviour appears). A reboot is needed

Is the 2.2 method a standard Android option or a standard HTC option?

Standard Android option seen on Nexus One with Froyo and actually now that you mention it I think its on the HTC Hero with 2.1 update-1 we have here too, I'll have to confirm.

I'm working on Android 1.6 at the minute and I can change the APN details around and save them manually without needing to reboot.

Have any of you lot encountered any problems with hullomail since its upgrade?
    Im constantky not been notified of missed calls and voice messages, have to manually refresh each time to ensure I'm not missing any!

Strange, as it worked flawlessly before the last upgrade to 3.1

Advertisement