Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ITS finally here?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

dRNk SAnTA wrote: »
    I'd like to take the Michael Collins approach and say that at least this gives us the integration to achieve integration, if that makes sense. :pac:

Once people are using the same card for everything, I imagine it will lead to a lot of pressure on all the bodies to do something about their fare structures.

While this may be true, it's not nearly good enough. The process should be driven by an end goal of integrated fares, and that should be its deliverable too. You don't have to spend that much taxpayers' money to introduce new technology just to let us pay separate fares the way we always have. Although the Electronic Payment System (EPS, there, a better name for it) delivers marginal improvements in eliminating cash handling, the only good reason for creating the system centrally is if fare integration is on the cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I'd like to take the Michael Collins approach and say that at least this gives us the integration to achieve integration, if that makes sense. :pac:

Once people are using the same card for everything, I imagine it will lead to a lot of pressure on all the bodies to do something about their fare structures.

so never then? :confused:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's not integrated ticketing so shouldn't be referred to as that. This is a prepay smart card nothing more.
    Until you can catch a DART from Dun Laoghaire, then a bus to Stephen's Green and the a Luas on one ticket or there is something like the London Zone tickets we won't have ITS.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It just means you can buy lots of tickets quickly, it doesn't make travel cheaper. It might show the bodies that people use more than one form of transport. But it doesn't show how many people would use multi-modal transport.

A travel 90 ticket means that multiple journies are about the same price as single one (actually cheaper for longer journeys) , but people are disincentivised to use the DART or LUAS on their journey, since waiting for a connecting bus is free.

Advertisement