Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N52 minor upgrade work

Options
  • 18-10-2010 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭

I know it's a small scheme but we need to take anything now that the major schemes are finishing :)

They seem to be removing one or two bad bends on the N52 on the Ardee side of the junction with the R162. See map here

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=53.797437,+-6.713676&num=1&sll=53.858804,-6.540765&sspn=0.026327,0.06403&ie=UTF8&ll=53.799586,-6.713805&spn=0.012166,0.043945&z=15&iwloc=A

There's currently a diversion in place that takes you around the bends and they have started planning the road and there's bulldozers in place and some fencing in place which looks like it'll straighten the road at this spot. Hopefully it's not just to take the ditch back for improved visibility.

Does anyone know anything else about this? Can't find anything on the Meath CoCo website.

Also there's a few other very minor works along this route between Ardee and Kells/Mullingar at the minute. i.e. road-planning and relaying a junction close to Kells and also cutting the tip off a blind crest in another location which I can't pin-point at hte minute. I know it's near a GAA pitch on the crest of another hill but i can't remember where it is as there's so many crests on this road :D.

Any more details?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Fine Gael
    Press Statement by Shane McEntee TD
    Road Safety

March 15th 2010

McEntee welcomes NRA funding for N52

Fine Gael Meath East TD Shane McEntee today welcomed news that 2 dangerous stretches of the N52 are to receive funding for road safety improvements.

The N52 at Stephenstown and Carnacop is a notorious accident blackspot. The dangerous S-bend is to be improved and additional road markings and signage are to be installed. Also the village of Carlanstown is to be tackled, as both approach roads enter the village on 90 degree bends.

“I am delighted to see both of these notorious blackspots finally being improved. Local residents have long campaigned for action and this work is long overdue.

http://meathfinegael.wordpress.com/2010/03/15/mcentee-welcomes-nra-funding-for-n52/

Not sure where this belongs, but theres more upgrade work planned for the N52 South of Mullingar

N52 Carrick Bridge to Clonfad Road Improvement Scheme
    Scheme Location
    This scheme will improve that section of the N52 national secondary road between the termination point of the N52 Mullingar to Belvedere Scheme, at Carrick Bridge, and the northern-most point of N52 link road, constructed as part of the Kinnegad to Kilbeggan Scheme, at Dalystown.

Heres the project website which also details a recently published CPO schedule :
    Carrick Bridge to Clonfad Road Project Page

Has there actually been land purchased for the scheme yet though?

Another minor scheme this time north of Mullingar is planned and has also had the CPO schedule published last summer:
    N52 Rathconnell to Macetown Project Page

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

that Carrick to Clonfad scheme would mean the N52 was actually up to a decent standard for an entire stretch between national primaries. I'd like to see the relatively short bit between the end of the Kilbeggan/M6 improvements and the Tullamore BP done too, it would make 40km of so of modern standard, mostly new build road.

big question....
    Will they integrate a junction into the road giving priority to an ungraded county road (not even a Regional!!!) over the cross country National road, like you see on the current stretch here ? :D
    EDIT: the small branch road at 10 o clock in the picture is the continuation of the N52

Its up there with the M7/ M8 split for being an unexpected branching of the main flow of traffic over the localised road markings/ junction setup.

They really should have flashing signs in places like that announcing
    "F*cked up unintutive junction layout ahead" or some other really attention grabing notice!!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The N52 also loses priority to an L road somewhere in Meath/Louth too, from memory...

however, I'd expect it'll be sorted out by this.

Drawings here: http://www.wccprojectoffice.ie/new/download_cat.asp?cat=8&dlCat=N52CB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

cargo wrote: »

They seem to be removing one or two bad bends on the N52 on the Ardee side of the junction with the R162. See map here

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=53.797437,+-6.713676&num=1&sll=53.858804,-6.540765&sspn=0.026327,0.06403&ie=UTF8&ll=53.799586,-6.713805&spn=0.012166,0.043945&z=15&iwloc=A
    MYOB wrote: »
    The N52 also loses priority to an L road somewhere in Meath/Louth too, from memory...

however, I'd expect it'll be sorted out by this.

Drawings here: http://www.wccprojectoffice.ie/new/download_cat.asp?cat=8&dlCat=N52CB

MYOB, I think that spot you are referring to is the junction I use as a reference point in my first post. You have to stop to cross the R162 (road from Nobber to Navan) at a staggered X-road there.

MYOB, I think that spot you are referring to is the junction I use as a reference point in my first post. You have to stop to cross the R162 (road from Nobber to Navan) at a staggered X-road there.

I know of that one, but I seem to remember there being a case where you lose priority to an L road at a direct crossroads.

That one at the R162 isn't being touched in the current improvement works either, as far as I'm aware... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭knotknowbody

MYOB wrote: »
    I know of that one, but I seem to remember there being a case where you lose priority to an L road at a direct crossroads.

That one at the R162 isn't being touched in the current improvement works either, as far as I'm aware... :mad:

I know the N52 from Dundalk to Clonmellon well, and the R162 junction is the only point where it gives priority to a lower graded road, it is correct to do so in this case as the R162 carries a much higher volume of traffic, also the road geometry of both roads at the junction and on the approaches to it makes it safer for traffic on the N52 to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Thats the spot munchkin_utd first mentioned above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Thats the spot munchkin_utd first mentioned above.

oops!

There is some plan to build between the Belvedere and Tyrrelspass sections of WS2 which would remove this.

I wonder if it would be worth re-routing the N52 onto the n62 from Birr to Roscrea and onto the M7, with a relief route around Roscrea to the Motorway junction, rather than improving the Bossisokane section, which is desperate altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

oops!

There is some plan to build between the Belvedere and Tyrrelspass sections of WS2 which would remove this.

I wonder if it would be worth re-routing the N52 onto the n62 from Birr to Roscrea and onto the M7, with a relief route around Roscrea to the Motorway junction, rather than improving the Bossisokane section, which is desperate altogether.

I'd rather see the N80 from Portlaoise to Tullamore upgraded, with a relief route around Portlaoise connected to the M7, followed eventually by an upgrade of the N52 from Mullingar to Ardee, including an Ardee bypass.

That would give a decent quality route from the M7/M8 all the way to the M1, using a portion of the N80, N52 and the N33, enabling traffic from most regions to avoid using the M50 altogether. For example, traffic from Cork, Limerick and Galway could use this route to get to Belfast.

Maybe that route could be renumbered as the N33 eventually.

Seeing as they bypassed Nenagh on the N52 a decade ago, I think the time has passed to get it rerouted from Birr south.

We definitely need to look at providing a single upgraded route rather than patchwork upgrading multiple ones. The detrunking of the N80 from Tullamore to Moate as has been suggested as having already happened and basically awaiting Cowen to go to be done on-the-ground (it passes through Clara, see) is a start on this

Not sure where this belongs, but theres more upgrade work planned for the N52 South of Mullingar

N52 Carrick Bridge to Clonfad Road Improvement Scheme

Heres the project website which also details a recently published CPO schedule :
    Carrick Bridge to Clonfad Road Project Page
    as mentioned elsewhere here's the tender for the Project.
    http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=JAN195759

and a map!
    http://www.wccprojectoffice.ie/new/database/downloads/Confirmation%20Advertisement%20Large%20Ad.%20N52%20Carrick%20Bridge%20with%20Drawing.pdf

and heres it on a google maps, well it's the road that is being replaced anyhow
    http://maps.google.de/maps?saddr=N52&daddr=N52&hl=en&ll=53.402982,-7.307968&spn=0.250532,1.088333&sll=53.463296,-7.361097&sspn=0.015508,0.05167&geocode=FaonLwMdzkKP_w%3BFSnNLwMdGbaP_w&mra=me&mrsp=1,0&sz=15&z=11

The DOOR - Dublin Outer Orbital Road may be dead in the water, but for me improvements like this are the next best thing in order to avoid the nutjob asylum that is the M50/ M7 when going from Cavan to Cork!!

(still - rather than spend millions on new roads it MIGHT be cheaper to have the guards actually enforce the road traffic laws on our main motorways like tail gating and lane discipline that their obsession with tax and insurance seems to prevent them from doing)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Regarding priority...in Wikipedia:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N52_road_(Ireland)#Lack_of_priority
    Lack of priority
    At the N52 junction with the R162 in County Meath the N52 stops and joins the R162 regional road and then leaves it again 100m further south. At this junction the regional road is the main road and is of a higher quality than the National route which crosses it.
    At Dalystown in County Westmeath the N52 has a STOP sign at a junction with a local road which takes precedence over this National route.

Question: Even if the R162 is busier surely the N-route should take priority, even if by route number? Should the section of the N52 passing through the R162 not be designated "N52" with the R162 joining/leaving?

the priority at the R162 junction is probably a stupid legacy issue from when county councils were in charge of all roads in their area so could decide on the ground which road gets priority at a junction.
    There thats the "main road" from a large swathe of Meath hinterland to the county town so obviously is infinitely more important that a road linking together the (non Meath) county towns of Mullingar/ Tullamore and Dundalk!

Anyhow, as flagged in the Tenderwatch thread, a 3.5km section of road is to get a resurfacing
    http://maps.google.de/maps?saddr=Ballywilliam,+Co.+Offaly,+Ireland&daddr=N52&hl=en&ll=53.194927,-7.685795&spn=0.064379,0.189857&sll=53.194002,-7.665539&sspn=0.063866,0.189857&geocode=FWuTKwMdUH-K_ykRk0VRKqtdSDEiBMO6p8cAJg%3BFbjdKwMd5BaL_w&mra=dme&mrsp=1&sz=13&z=13

http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=AUG251655

From the google streetview it doesnt really seem to be a road that is in tatters.
    If anything its one of the best secondary roads in the country, wide and pothole-less.
    Or has the harsh winter really ripped up this particular section of road that suddenly its a priority to spend millions resurfacing it?

Ah! I was confused for a bit...the overlay section is nowhere near the R162!:confused:

I note that we can't access the documents without stating a reason! Would "so I can post about it on boards.ie" be a good enough reason, I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Ah! I was confused for a bit...the overlay section is nowhere near the R162!:confused:

I note that we can't access the documents without stating a reason! Would "so I can post about it on boards.ie" be a good enough reason, I wonder?

How about 'because I'm a taxpayer and some of it's my money'?

Another minor scheme this time north of Mullingar is planned and has also had the CPO schedule published last summer:
    N52 Rathconnell to Macetown Project Page

This one seems to be underway.

and "N52 Carrick Bridge to Clonfad Design Build Contract" has been awarded to Jons Civil Engineering Co.Ltd for the pricely sum of €7,332,252.88
    (to the cent!)

Award notice from 18th November :
    http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=NOV288495

No doubt they will be starting ASAP

• Advertisement

Passes through here on Monday and they have a stop-go on the N52 right at the biggest of the 3 side roads along here. (nearest to Mullingar) as they are doing earthworks on both sides of the main road and plant are using a single crossing point. Looked v v wet and mucky soil conditions to be working in for earthworks.

At the opposite end of the works (the small Statoil? Service Station) they are fencing off the new boundary in the fields.

tender was awarded 2 months ago, notice posted 6 weeks ago.
    http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=OCT275275

Now that I'm at it heres 2 more minor schemes which were recently awarded tenders (making 4 schemes on the go currently?):

Tender award from 18/10/2011
    N52 Ballywilliam/ Derydolney Road Resurfacing Scheme
    "The contract involves the resurfacing/ overlay of a section of the N52 national secondary route northeast of the town of Kilcormac."

Tender award from 09/08/2011
    Contract Award Notice N52 Mullaghey
    "The project consists of the construction of 1.0km of road scheme on the N52 at Mullaghey........."

(making 4 schemes on the go currently?):

One of the longest, and worst condition over its length, N roads in the country; 4 isn't that odd.

There were likely many more minor schemes in the budget-burning of last November/December - spotted three around Drumconrath alone.

Great to see they are upgrading the N52. Badly needed, a very busy and dangerous road.

Also noticed they seemed to be doing a lot of earthworks on the already bypassed section past the Bloomfield Hotel - anyone know what that's about? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Great to see they are upgrading the N52. Badly needed, a very busy and dangerous road.

Also noticed they seemed to be doing a lot of earthworks on the already bypassed section past the Bloomfield Hotel - anyone know what that's about? :confused:

cant be 100 percent sue but it could be to do do with the water scheme works in the area

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭medoc

There is a small widening job underway on the N52 at Durrow crossroad outside Tullamore. The crossroad is on a bend and they seem to be widening the road to add right/left turn lanes.

Passes through here on Monday and they have a stop-go on the N52 right at the biggest of the 3 side roads along here. (nearest to Mullingar) as they are doing earthworks on both sides of the main road and plant are using a single crossing point. Looked v v wet and mucky soil conditions to be working in for earthworks.

At the opposite end of the works (the small Statoil? Service Station) they are fencing off the new boundary in the fields.

Passed through here yesterday. They are laying the final wearing course along the length of this upgrade.

Still plenty of small jobs under way (roadside fencing / barrier sections etc) and the join of the 2 sections they broke this into (either side of where it crossed the existing N52) still has to be tackled. To me it looks as if they are at different heights so a bit of digging to be done and not a simple overnight tie-in but I could be wrong. It's hard to get a look when you're only travelling through once and in the middle of live works.

There's a stop and go at the SS end as the new roadworks have came in ontop of one of the old lanes. Still very near to an opening though I imagine.

Anyone else passing this more regularly or from the area know of dates?

I'd love to know what they are doing with the crossing of the N52 if anyone has any drawings?

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

This is due for completion before the end of October 2012 according to the tender documents http://www.wccprojectoffice.ie/new/scheme.asp?schemeId=15

This is due for completion before the end of October 2011 according to the tender documents http://www.wccprojectoffice.ie/new/scheme.asp?schemeId=15

I dont think they are going to make that now in fairness. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

I dont think they are going to make that now in fairness. :confused:

My mistake....corrected!

Drawings showing tie ins etc : http://www.wccprojectoffice.ie/new/database/downloads/Part%208%20Sheet%203%20%20Alignment.pdf

Advertisement