Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N72 Mallow Racecourse to Sugar Factory and Lombardstown

Options
  • 17-10-2010 1:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know what roadworks are starting ?

PLEASE tell me they arent just going to re-surface and are actually going to widen this section at alast.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭busman

I read somewhere that it will be closed for a week in November!
    I'm sure that it will be only the surface that they are doing.
    Hope it's a contractor and not the council!

Don't know what way the diversion will be but I'm guessing thru' Lombardstown.

Waste of time if you ask me, look at "new" bit that they done a few years back to the Lombardstown junction, how long did it take? 10 years! And then the surface was very very poor and bumpy when they finished and broke up bad last winter.

I've just accept now that North Cork will continue to have bad roads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

a week means a patch job...this section is on the Garda black spot list and deserves doing properly..

Divert from the Mallow railway bridge via Ballyclogh to come back out at the Lombardstown cross (or the Longueville cross OR Ballymacquirke via Kanturk)Lots of options in addition to via the Sugar Factory (that isnt there any more) and Lombardstown .

I fully agree with you about the last jimcrack job the Council did, a scandalous effort at roadmaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

The council wont be doing it. It will be either Whelans or Lagans. Whelans done the piece at lombardstown junction. I cant see how the road will be closed though..You cannot be sending HGV`S on these routes.

-Corkie- wrote: »
    The council wont be doing it. It will be either Whelans or Lagans. Whelans done the piece at lombardstown junction. I cant see how the road will be closed though..You cannot be sending HGV`S on these routes.

Saw a piece on the front of the Mallow Star in the chipper tonight about the local councilors given out that the owner of the Racecourse Petrol station might be put out of business because the the road will be closed for a week. The are going to contact the NRA!

Whoever done the line painting at Lombardstown aren't much better that the council! Don't they know what the difference is between broken yellow and white lines? I'll see if I can get a picture in the next day or so ...

section being dealt with seems to be the bit from the Sugar factory junction to the Longueville House junction, which is VERY bumpy (so bad that the rear quarter light of my Taunus Coupe fell out here a couple of months ago and was a hell of a job to get a replacement)

• Advertisement

corktina wrote: »
    section being dealt with seems to be the bit from the Sugar factory junction to the Longueville House junction, which is VERY bumpy (so bad that the rear quarter light of my Taunus Coupe fell out here a couple of months ago and was a hell of a job to get a replacement)

Wounder if they going to do the narrow bit from the junction back towards the racecourse. Its just as bad!

it doesnt look like it judging by the positioning of the speed limit signs etc...unless thats what the weeks closure is for next month? doent seem long enough time to do the job to me though.

it doesnt look like it judging by the positioning of the speed limit signs etc...unless thats what the weeks closure is for next month? doent seem long enough time to do the job to me though.

Was passing by tonight and they have "scraped" the sides of the road narrow bit of the road so looks like only a resurface from the petrol station to the Longville junction.

It looks that way....:(:mad:

IIRC they "took" land to widen this section years ago but it never was fenced so I doubted they would be widening it. This strip of land is now heavily overgrown with Salix (oh alright Sallies for you Corkmen:D)

John A woods have the contract. The Mitchelstown road is closed until the 6th of November. They have resurfaced a nice bit of it in fairness. I travelled it this evening.

• Advertisement

Lagan have the contract for the racecourse bit....closed from monday for a week with diversions via the sugar factiory road.Looks like its just a resurface with no widening.

-Corkie- wrote: »
    John A woods have the contract. The Mitchelstown road is closed until the 6th of November. They have resurfaced a nice bit of it in fairness. I travelled it this evening.

Best option with this section (unless you are in a truck) is to ignore the signs heading towards Mallow and cut off a bit further on following the Killavullen signs, takes you down to the N72 and must be much quicker than via Doneraille

N72 will be closed for 3 days. The N73 will be finished saturday so I am told. I think the N72 will be longer judging by the progress they made today....:rolleyes:

if they arent widening that N72 section, it would be as well not to do too much as it is already on the Garda Black List and would be lethal if people thought they could drive at full speed on it

(I think we should have our own section on boards for North Cork roads :-)

Looks like they are packing up for this year!
    Yesterday they painted white lines on the part thats not finished from the Longfield bridge junction to the Longueville junction :-(
    Guess the weather got the best of them!

Also they have put done one layer on the hard-shoulder out to the Longueville Lock. Wonder if this is as far as they are going?

yep a very shaky solid white line applied that surely must be temporary.
    The markers at the side of the road only go as far as the lock so Im assuming thats the lot although the next section is of course only a few years old and has never been right (CCC did that bit of course which explains that (and it took them several YEARS to do it!)

Im intersted to see how they lay aout the junction at Longueville and at the sugar factory. The arrows they have applied dont fill you with confidence at this time.The Sugar Factory junction was very badly laid out before,for anyone heading east and turning right...you risked a punt up the back and everyone passsed cars waiting to turn by infringing on the yellow cross hatched section on the left.

yep a very shaky solid white line applied that surely must be temporary.
    The markers at the side of the road only go as far as the lock so Im assuming thats the lot although the next section is of course only a few years old and has never been right (CCC did that bit of course which explains that (and it took them several YEARS to do it!)

Several Years? I'm sure it was Decades ;)
    Was very disappointing that the surface was sooooo bad when they finally finished. Not sure what the problem was but looked like there was an overlap at regular distances about every 50 yards. Always a "thump-thump-thump" Then the frost last year caused the overlaps to breakup!!!
    Then the "Patched" them with their spray-on wagon .... ahhhhh
    Im intersted to see how they lay aout the junction at Longueville and at the sugar factory. The arrows they have applied dont fill you with confidence at this time.The Sugar Factory junction was very badly laid out before,for anyone heading east and turning right...you risked a punt up the back and everyone passsed cars waiting to turn by infringing on the yellow cross hatched section on the left.

It looks like they have widened the shoulder at Longueville but I know what you are saying at the sugar factory junction, had a few near misses there myself!

They couldnt be finished it. I passed there yesterday and I see the white line. The beet factory and longueville junction are totally unfinished. You must now STOP coming up to those junctions with the cones. Those cones are a pain especially if you have a nervous driver in front of you. They slow down to 50kph..:(

The County Engineer (or some guy...:D) was on the radio at the time about that section explaining what went wrong with it...but they did nothing to correct it....

The County Engineer (or some guy...:D) was on the radio at the time about that section explaining what went wrong with it...but they did nothing to correct it....

Thats right Aidan Weir. Its amazing actually Whelans were supplying Tarmac and stone to the council which is a goverment department yet they hadnt paid a cent in tax or filed accounts since 2007. These people in these jobs are supposed to be highly educated...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

they did slightly widen the narrow section near the service station BTW....they filled the margins with stone creating some bit of a hard shoulder, but have now dug drainage channels though it, creating a trap for the unwary who might pull off in an emergency. The road here has been raised up as well, but did they put in any extra drainage to carry flood water under the road from the old canal?....

. The road here has been raised up as well, but did they put in any extra drainage to carry flood water under the road from the old canal?....

I think that they put a culvert under the road at the service station last year.

I emailed the NRA and here is the reply. Dont mind all the email I got a bit thick and had a bit of a rant...:D:D

Dear Mr. zxgtyhjkotbbwy,
    I have received correspondence from yourself via the NRA Head Office regarding road works on the N72 near Mallow. I’m not quite sure what information you are seeking because your email starts with road works on the N72, then on to Whelans and tax issues, Fianna Fail, disbanding the NRA and about going out to work for a living. It’s a bit all over the place! Perhaps it’s just a rant!
    With regard to the road works on the N72 near Mallow, the works have not been completed due to the very inclement weather which we have been getting over the last three weeks or so. The very low temperatures and subsequent frosty weather has made it impossible to complete the works. This is unfortunate but outside of our control. As soon as favourable weather returns, the works will be completed.
    If you have any other issues or questions on the road works taking place on the N72 near Mallow or if they are affecting you in any particular way, I would be only too delighted to help you.

Regards

Eoin McCarthy

ha! he told you then! Serves you right for giving a Polish name....:D

no sign iof a re-start on this project yet... :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Sneakee

It's getting to be a joke now, weather has been stable for the last 2 weeks, the 60km stretches for several miles, I'm not sure should I ignore that limit or not as you go beyond the Longueville junction. They would definately want to get up and going in the next week or two as the weather looks to be ok for now.
    When the works are done, will the 60km before the racecourse stay in place and if so how far up the road will it be imposed?

Sneakee wrote: »
    It's getting to be a joke now, weather has been stable for the last 2 weeks, the 60km stretches for several miles, I'm not sure should I ignore that limit or not as you go beyond the Longueville junction. They would definately want to get up and going in the next week or two as the weather looks to be ok for now.
    When the works are done, will the 60km before the racecourse stay in place and if so how far up the road will it be imposed?

I would say that the 60kph speed restrictions are only as temporary as the road works!

Having said that, a 80kph speed limit to the other side of the Longueville junction would not be too far out of place.

i dont think anyone is taking any notice of this stupid limit which IMHO does not have a legal basis anyway.

That limit is only there for when the boys are working. I was behind a fool this evening with no lights on doing 80kph. He stood on the brakes at the racecourse. I wasnt long dropping it a cog,he started blowing the horn then. I will email that dude again.

• Advertisement

had the same coming the other way today! Someone stood on the brakes at the "ramp"...nice L plate on the back window and empty passenger seat....

Advertisement