Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

wampyrus77 wrote: »
    well the casting director Ross howard of peter jackson movies she informed me the hobbits 3 movies are based from "The Hobbit" and The Silmarillion

Emmmm, you mean Ross Hubbard, who is an assistant, assistant casting director. And while a lovely person, she knows nothing about Tolkien and has barely read LOTR never mind Silmarillion. (By her own admission on Phantom a while back)

And a bunch of makey-uppey nonsense with no basis in Tolkien, of course. They can invent bunny sleds and badly animated one-armed albino giant Orcs without permission from the Tolkien estate.

Madey uppy? No Basis in Tolkien??

Clearly you've never read the appendices of LOTR. There's more meat action storyline and drama back there than in the entire book!!! And I'm not even going to sniff at you like you so deserve. Just go read it and have your mind opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Bolg, Azog etc are very much a part of the middle earth history. Probably more history and structure there than any other orcs.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

david75 wrote: »
    Madey uppy? No Basis in Tolkien??

Exactly. Radagast gets one mention in The Hobbit (Gandalf mentions him to Beorn, who knows him), and plays no part whatsoever in the story. All the stuff with the bird****, hedeghogs, James Bond bunny-sled driving, fear of spiders, and morgul-blade detective work is completely made up. The White Council was well aware of who the Necromancer was since before Bilbo was born.

Azog was killed by Dáin at the battle shown at the gates of Moria, also before Bilbo was born. He was not hunting Thorin for revenge across the West with a mob of Warg riders 150 years later.

And so on and on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

david75 wrote: »
    Emmmm, you mean Ross Hubbard, who is an assistant, assistant casting director. And while a lovely person, she knows nothing about Tolkien and has barely read LOTR never mind Silmarillion. (By her own admission on Phantom a while back)

yes Ross Hubbard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭TobyRyan

She doesn’t hold the same kind of status that Arwen or Galadriel or Elrond or Legolas do — she’s much more lowly.

Well, yes and no. The Silvan Elves are certainly more lowly than the High Elves who have been to the West and come back, like Galadriel. Of course, the rest of the High Elves in Middle-Earth are all pretty lowly compared to Galadriel, too, who is in the All Time Top Ten of Elf greatness.

Elrond is called half-elven, but his other half is the opposite of lowly, and includes an honest-to-God Angel.

Arwen has never been to the West, but is the child of a High Elf and Elrond (and a grandaughter of Galadriel), so she is not Lowly.

Legolas is Silvan and therefore lowly, but he is a prince among lowly elves.

So the only named Elf as lowly as Tauriel I can think of in the movies so far is Haldir.

Legolas aint Silvan. He is Thranduil's son who is Sindar, like Galadriel and Celeborn. So he isnt lowly but noble yada yada. But I get it silvans arnt 'royal' so to speak.

TobyRyan wrote: »
    Legolas aint Silvan. He is Thranduil's son who is Sindar, like Galadriel and Celeborn. So he isnt lowly but noble yada yada. But I get it silvans arnt 'royal' so to speak.

I'll give you Thranduil and Celeborn, but Legolas is doubtful (born and raised in the Greenwood, his mother may be Silvan?). Galadriel is not Sindarin, she's the greatest of the Noldor left in Middle Earth, and probably the #2 Noldo in existence after her father, King Finarfin, since all her brothers, her Uncles and her Grandfather are dead.

If Tauriel is a Silvan elf, all of these Elves are out of her league (Haldir's, too).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

What about Gollum ?

I'd expect the producers will want him stuck in there in the next 2 films,
    despite his part in the Hobbit is done.

the_monkey wrote: »
    What about Gollum ?

I'd expect the producers will want him stuck in there in the next 2 films,
    despite his part in the Hobbit is done.

I'm sure we'll get to see him doing some sneaking. Maybe right at the end of the last movie, emerging from his cave muttering and cursing about Baggins at the moon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

I'm sure we'll get to see him doing some sneaking. Maybe right at the end of the last movie, emerging from his cave muttering and cursing about Baggins at the moon...

I can imagine they want more, he's a big part of this money making industry, I reckon they'll throw in him looking for the ring/Bilbo and getting captured at Mordor - I know it happens long after the hobbit , but they'll get it in there.

I wouldn't mind either, it could be done well.

• Advertisement

New hobbit trailer. Looks badass!! Knew te second film would bring it. Though its a ridiculous move showing Smaug this early.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeGb5XGk2U0&sns=em

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well to the surprise of nobody, there will indeed be an Extended Edition released of the first film, featuring extra scenes almost nobody wanted. Dear god, Peter Jackson needs a serious talking to about the joys of the editing room

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=37919

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

What is the 3rd movie even going to be? And WHY is Legolas just fannying around?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

What is the 3rd movie even going to be? And WHY is Legolas just fannying around?

In a nutshell..

2nd Movie: Smaug
    3rd Movie: Battle of the Five Armies

And both will have bits of the Necromancer storyline running through them.

In a nutshell..

2nd Movie: Smaug
    3rd Movie: Battle of the Five Armies

Well, we also are going to see what Gandalf, Elrond, Galadriel, Saruman and so on are up to, probably intercut through both.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 victorpaul1

The Hobbit : it's my favorite movie of 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Well, we also are going to see what Gandalf, Elrond, Galadriel, Saruman and so on are up to, probably intercut through both.

That's what I meant by:

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

So he can stare off into the distance looking pretty, just like in the first trilogy.

Seriously though, completely pointless character.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Extended edition is due out in November. Anyone know of any place stocking the Weta Statue extended edition special edition statue edition? It seems to be exclusive to amazon.com :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Extended edition is due out in November. Anyone know of any place stocking the Weta Statue extended edition special edition statue edition? It seems to be exclusive to amazon.com :(
    no release here for it apparently, america spain and germany only, i pre-ordered mine last week from america, it was 57 including shipping, bit annoying but noting a multiregion player wont fix, ive had to get a lot of stuff from the american site so ive had a universal player for a while and its paid for itself at this stage, america gets all the good stuff:(

http://www.amazon.com/The-Hobbit-Unexpected-Exclusive-UltraViolet/dp/B00EAZTONU/ref=sr_tr_sr_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377983303&sr=8-1&keywords=the+hobbit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

It doesn't even make sense, you'd imagine that an amazon exclusive would be available in all the amazon shops. Going to chance getting it from America, everything plays through my PC anyway so it's trivial to reset the region counter.

Films are starting to get as bad as games now with all these retailer exclusives.

Can't find the DOS thread. Feel free to merge.

New hobbit trailer. Jackson has clearly made some crazy changes. http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2013/10/01/79776-the-trailer-for-the-hobbit-the-desolation-of-smaug-is-here/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭Elessar

New Trailer for Hobbit 3:

I think I just came in my pants.

ive learned not to become excited by hobbit trailers..

do we have an actual thread for battle of the five armies? i cant find it

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

From the youtube thumbnail i thought it looked nicely clear and not horribly graded like the last two, nope. Still the same awful looking vaseline lensed cgi enchanced look to everything, bleh. These films will age horribly.

Putting a super modern digital tech onto a film thats supposed to look and feel old/otherworldly was an insanely stupid idea to begin with...agreed that these will age horribly..

some of the graphics on characters in the last one, looking like N64 characters still baffles me..how could they not have seen that stuff??

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The barrel sequence looked awful, the water, the way the characters move, how fake everything looks, horrendous stuff.

thats exactly the scene i was thinking of..it was like ten minutes long...ridiculous

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I still haven't got around to seeing the second film in the series: the first film really killed my enthusiasm stone-dead, and another 3 hours spent in a Lucas'esque CGI wasteland seemed like a chore rather than entertainment. Is the second part worth the investment? Seems like the barrel sequence gets mentioned a lot as a particular lowpoint

Advertisement