Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM on TV?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

ultraman1 wrote: »
    a highlight programme that doesnt have Gerry Keirnan on it would do me....

A highlights programme on a channel that everyone has would do me. Some of us don't use UPC's sorry excuse for a service...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

A highlights programme on a channel that everyone has would do me. Some of us don't use UPC's sorry excuse for a service...
    But those who do will be able to watch highlights of the DCM - na na na:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

It would be great to have it on TV but when you consider none of the current big shots of Irish athletics who are possibly known to the man on the street (Gillick, O' Rourke, Hession, Loughnane) are in it means there is very little appeal for the general sports fan who even if they were live on TV (Gillick et al) they may not watch them anyway. Thats the average sports fan ruled out. The average athletics fan will more likely be out training themselves or coaching when its on so that rules them out. The average runner who may watch it is probably running it so that may rule them out. So, not much of an audience it would seem. There are no well known athletes in the race, another downside. Cork City sports regularly gets Olympic and World medalists along with the already mentioned big shots of Irish athletics and that doesn't get coverage. Its the way it is with the cash strapped RTE. Finally, to the average sports fan, the marathon is one of the least appealing events when say compared to mens 100 or womens high jump or a mens 1500. At over 2 hours long with nothing else to supplement it or even the potential of an Irish winner, it would be very boring to the average sports fan. I follow athletics, and I would find it hard to watch for 2.5 hours, much prefer to get out and watch it on the roadside.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

thirtyfoot wrote: »
    It would be great to have it on TV but when you consider none of the current big shots of Irish athletics who are possibly known to the man on the street (Gillick, O' Rourke, Hession, Loughnane)

I reckon only one of those is known to the average person - not that it makes any difference. As others have said, it's more likely to attract an audience from people who know someone running it.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bez Bing

It would be great to have it on TV but when you consider none of the current big shots of Irish athletics who are possibly known to the man on the street (Gillick, O' Rourke, Hession, Loughnane) are in it means there is very little appeal for the general sports fan who even if they were live on TV (Gillick et al) they may not watch them anyway. Thats the average sports fan ruled out. The average athletics fan will more likely be out training themselves or coaching when its on so that rules them out. The average runner who may watch it is probably running it so that may rule them out. So, not much of an audience it would seem. There are no well known athletes in the race, another downside. Cork City sports regularly gets Olympic and World medalists along with the already mentioned big shots of Irish athletics and that doesn't get coverage. Its the way it is with the cash strapped RTE. Finally, to the average sports fan, the marathon is one of the least appealing events when say compared to mens 100 or womens high jump or a mens 1500. At over 2 hours long with nothing else to supplement it or even the potential of an Irish winner, it would be very boring to the average sports fan. I follow athletics, and I would find it hard to watch for 2.5 hours, much prefer to get out and watch it on the roadside.

I dont know about that, I'm a relatively new convert to long distance running and I always looked out for the marathon and the longer distance events in past Olympics and world championships. I always found the tatics and stuff very interetsing and great to watch.

Your point about the lack of a world class field is valid tho, as watching the non elites is just not that appealing to the general public.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

RayCun wrote: »
    I reckon only one of those is known to the average person - not that it makes any difference. .

You are probably right!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Bez Bing wrote: »
    Your point about the lack of a world class field is valid tho, as watching the non elites is just not that appealing to the general public.
    Which is where the coverage of people in silly outfits comes in, but you probably won't get as many of those until people know it will be on telly. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

tunney wrote: »
    Why should it be on TV? Seriously?

Nobody is interested, nobody would watch(in real numbers), and no one really cares.

(i been a specator at DCM a few times and am interested in marathons however just because you and I are doesn't mean it should be on tv.

Tunney, you are missing the potential 'feel good' coverage..

"Here's Mary, she only started running 2 months ago and has been plagued with injuries outside of her control. She is hoping to get around today in under 7hours... an inspiration to us all"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

mloc123 wrote: »
    Tunney, you are missing the potential 'feel good' coverage..

"Here's Mary, she only started running 2 months ago and has been plagued with injuries outside of her control. She is hoping to get around today in under 7hours... an inspiration to us all"
    haha I love it, that inspires people! would love to see mary post on here.
    Just started running and will do the marathon in 8 week can I do it. Oh i'm also always injured and and cant run 2 miles without pain ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

I
    . Its the way it is with the cash strapped RTE.

Is this the same RTE that shelled out for the wonderful* Confederations Cup (in which, of course, Rep of Ireland weren't involved) in the summer of 2009, and neglected the Athletics World Championships in Berlin (where, the wonderful**, Olive Loughnane medalled). RTE was left with egg on it's face as it was announced sheepishly by Michael Lyster during an outside broadcast (from Ballybofey***).
    RTE are not cash strapped - it chooses not to show athletics/marathon esp if there are 2 cocks fighting in Kiltamagh.

*being sarcastic here
    ** true meaning of word here
    *** Will have to recheck my sources on the actual venue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Won't be too costly if they only covered the people running the marathon - jsut under three hours of outside broadcast can't be too expensive? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Covering something like the Confederations Cup costs very little as the broadcast cost is shared out over hundreds of broadcasters, and you are only paying for broadcast rights, as opposed to broadcast and transmission costs.

Covering the marathon live (and doing it properly) would actually cost a lot of money (satellite uplinks cost a fortune). The reason you see other events covered, such as the BUPA runs, Berlin etc., is the cost to the broadcaster is subsidised greatly by sponsors. In many cases, programming is supplied for free to broadcasters. For example, Gaelforce West (2008 I think?) was broadcast by a number of channels, but the cost was met almost exclusively by Fáilte Ireland. Likewise, triathlon events from places such as Abu Dhabi get relatively high-profile exposure on Sky Sports and Eurosport, as the programming cost is met entirely by sponsors (Abu Dhabi itself in that case).

I would imagine that for the Dublin Marathon to be broadcast live (and it's something that might happen next year, guessing from Hard Worker's post), the cost would have to be met entirely, or substantially, by a body other than the broadcaster. In the case of Dublin, it could Fáilte Ireland, Adidas or a combination of sponsors. I can't imagine that the cost to viewer ratio would allow RTÉ to justify taking on the expense itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

ronanmac wrote: »
    Covering something like the Confederations Cup costs very little as the broadcast cost is shared out over hundreds of broadcasters, and you are only paying for broadcast rights, as opposed to broadcast and transmission costs.

Covering the marathon live (and doing it properly) would actually cost a lot of money (satellite uplinks cost a fortune). The reason you see other events covered, such as the BUPA runs, Berlin etc., is the cost to the broadcaster is subsidised greatly by sponsors. In many cases, programming is supplied for free to broadcasters. For example, Gaelforce West (2008 I think?) was broadcast by a number of channels, but the cost was met almost exclusively by Fáilte Ireland. Likewise, triathlon events from places such as Abu Dhabi get relatively high-profile exposure on Sky Sports and Eurosport, as the programming cost is met entirely by sponsors (Abu Dhabi itself in that case).

I would imagine that for the Dublin Marathon to be broadcast live (and it's something that might happen next year, guessing from Hard Worker's post), the cost would have to be met entirely, or substantially, by a body other than the broadcaster. In the case of Dublin, it could Fáilte Ireland, Adidas or a combination of sponsors. I can't imagine that the cost to viewer ratio would allow RTÉ to justify taking on the expense itself.

Correct. RTE do not pay for these events. The substantial cost of covering this live would be borne by the event organiser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

If we all decided to run in Irish would TG4 be duty bound to show it?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

digger2d2 wrote: »
    If we all decided to run in Irish would TG4 be duty bound to show it?;)
    If you run in Irish you get 10% knocked off your finishing time before you even start, a bit like the leaving cert.:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

gerard65 wrote: »
    If you run in Irish you get 10% knocked off your finishing time before you even start, a bit like the leaving cert.:)

Right, I need a crash course in talking funny. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

It should be on TV. There is a running boom and cost shouldn'tcome in to it.RTE is supposed to fulfill a public service remit.It fails miserably in that respect.The numbers running are increasing all the time and it would encourage more people to getout there and run.We do have an obesity problem.Broadcasting the marathon would be a public service. Then again it's a bank holiday so god knows what TE staf would want to bother coming in.Triple time etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

New Course record by Kibet 2.08.56

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

ecoli wrote: »
    New Course record by Kibet 2.08.56

F*ck me.

The concept of what is a world class marathon performance really is changing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ecoli wrote: »

Whoever thought it was a good idea to use Silverlight for that streaming should be given out to......use HTML5 or Flash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

This is RTE we are talking about. The same TV station that showed Panatkonikos (dont care that I spelt it wrongt) V some spanish team in a champions league qualifier ahead of one of the great nights in Irish athletics in recent time. The night Derval came 4th in Berlin, and Gillick qualified for the final, and Hesh just missing out. If they dont show that do we really expect them to show the Dublin Marathon?

Somebody mentioned that all other countries show their big city marathons live, but people are forgetting this is Ireland. Home of the most close minded sports fan on earth. Sure even half the people on this forum arent even interested in watching non marathon related athletics!! When we cant even get behind our own sport then there is no hope of it ever getting proper media attention!

Don't suppose anyone has the know how to create a copy of the Setanta coverage when it's on in a method that those of us now residing off-shore could get to see it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭Peckham

Whilst the pacers were gathering to head to their starting positions yesterday, a guy with a TV camera came over to me and asked me if he could get a shot of the TV camera I had strapped to my head to include in their coverage. I said "Sure, is this for Setanta Sports?", he said "No, I'm working for a Dutch TV company".

Even some Dutch TV channel have more interest in the race than RTE!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

I would suggest writing them a letter or send them an e mail with a link to this thread at least. Be worth seeing what they say. Just nothing will happen if we just moan amongst ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

It should be on TV. There is a running boom and cost shouldn'tcome in to it.RTE is supposed to fulfill a public service remit.It fails miserably in that respect.The numbers running are increasing all the time and it would encourage more people to getout there and run.We do have an obesity problem.Broadcasting the marathon would be a public service. Then again it's a bank holiday so god knows what TE staf would want to bother coming in.Triple time etc.

Where is my violin?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,283 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Dublin Marathon 2010 On TV

Extended highlights of the 2010 Lifestyle-Sports adidas Dublin Marathon, in it's 31st year.

Setanta Sports Thursday 28th Oct at 7.30pm

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Dublin Marathon 2010 On TV

Extended highlights of the 2010 Lifestyle-Sports adidas Dublin Marathon, in it's 31st year.

Setanta Sports Thursday 28th Oct at 7.30pm

Hopefully the in-running footage taken by Peckham and I will be included in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Seriously tho', what percentage of the Irish licence paying population run? and of that what percentage would watch a marathon, now subtract the ones that were running yesterday.

I would guess the resulting number is a tiny percentage of the overall population and as a result the ratings would not cover the cost of showing it.

• Advertisement

...but multiply the number of entrants by the average family size, then add their other relations and friends etc and you have a decent sized audience.

Advertisement