Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM on TV?

Options
  • 16-10-2010 10:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭

As the thread title suggests. Will there be live coverage of the Dublin City Marathon on TV?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

This race should be live on tv. With the amount of money they spend on reality shows and other crap surely they could show it live. Usual story nobody will even know the race was on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Why should it be on TV? Seriously?

Nobody is interested, nobody would watch(in real numbers), and no one really cares.

(i been a specator at DCM a few times and am interested in marathons however just because you and I are doesn't mean it should be on tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Highlights on setanta is the best you could hope for, although they will keep showing it over and over for a few weeks.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

gerard65 wrote: »
    Highlights on setanta is the best you could hope for, although they will keep showing it over and over for a few weeks.:rolleyes:

so a wonderful opportunity to get on the TV - Woo Hoo!

(all i need to do is stick with the front guys for 2hrs 10min or so:eek:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

tunney wrote: »

Nobody is interested, nobody would watch(in real numbers), and no one really cares.

(i been a specator at DCM a few times and am interested in marathons however just because you and I are doesn't mean it should be on tv.

Well it used to be on live . There is lots of stuff on rte that doesn't get huge figures either. Who watchs womens GAA . The final was live. You would think our tourism board,Adidas and a few others would pump some money in to it and show it.
    Who has Setanta anyway for Gods sake?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Nobody is interested, nobody would watch(in real numbers), and no one reallyy cares.

What else will RTE be showing on a Bank Holiday Monday?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

jb-ski wrote: »
    so a wonderful opportunity to get on the TV - Woo Hoo!

(all i need to do is stick with the front guys for 2hrs 10min or so:eek:)

I got into the coverage a couple of years ago, just stood around doing some stretches and stuff after the finish line in a tent thing they had setup there. :D

I seem to remember last years highlights being one of the worst put together sports programs I'd ever seen.

Program starts. Shot of people lining up at the start line. Commentator says, "oh look, that's Joe Blogs, he wins the race today, and there's Jane Blogs who wins the women's race, there's the gun and there off". There then followed some pretty pointless footage of Joe and Jane Blogs running around Dublin with the commentator maybe saying about someone else going into the lead at some point, but not to worry as the other guy will win it anyway. :confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

What else will RTE be showing on a Bank Holiday Monday?

Mary Poppins?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Was always on live back in the day, always hate it being on and disrupting my cartoons :mad:. Sadly, I'll miss the highlights package this year as I don't have setanta anymore.

What was worse was it used to run down the grand canal and Clanbrassil St. before hitting SCR we used to have to go and watch it. I remember a particular one that fell on Halloween and having to stand around watching people bloody running when I could have been at home getting my witches outfit ready. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭eon1208

Why should'nt it be on tv when the majority of countries show their big city marathons live...Lots of armchair sports fans would relax and watch parts of it on a bank holiday

• Advertisement

eon1208 wrote: »
    Why should'nt it be on tv when the majority of countries show their big city marathons live...Lots of armchair sports fans would relax and watch parts of it on a bank holiday

They just need to free up 8:30am to 1pm ish in their schedules, send a few blokes out to stand on the side of the road with a camera and a couple of other lads sat the wrong way on the back of a motorbike and they are good to go*. All they would be showing otherwise is a couple of crappy old films. Nobody, other than kids and those that are running or interested, are going to be up in the morning of a bank holiday, anyone that doesn't care will be making the most of their lie in.

Most people in the UK don't give a damn about the London Marathon, but it's on one or other of their main channels for most of the day, the marathon does well out of it as it raises it's profile, the country does well out of it because even if people don't seem that interested in it the awareness of such things as marathons filters through to the general population and maybe a few years down the line someone decides to get off their backside and have a go at it.

Was getting a taxi into town last year with my camera gear and the taxi driver had no idea that the marathon was on and that various roads around the city would then be closed for the rest of the day. I'll forgive the other taxi drivers who took me to the park for the race series for not knowing about those races, but for a Dublin native to not be aware that Dublin even had a marathon in October is a bit poor.

A bit of TV coverage on RTE would do wonders for the marathon and the health of the nation.

* OK, so they would maybe need a bit more than that to do a proper outside broadcast coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

This race should be live on tv. With the amount of money they spend on reality shows and other crap surely they could show it live. Usual story nobody will even know the race was on.

A cost analysis is probably the reason it's not shown. Actually costs a fair few quid for a live broadcast and this increases when the main protagonistics are in motion around a city. Viewing figures would be crap relative to total cost.

Somebody mentioned ladies gaa but rte are probably obliged to show that by the gaa as it's probably sold in a package.

Admittedly it was only going around the park, but they managed to do a live broadcast of the Great Ireland Run, although that was probably paid for by the Great XXX company in some part as they also had Foster over to do the commentary for his race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

Who knows, maybe it will be live next year ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Who knows, maybe it will be live next year ;)

The route should be changed back to going through Portobello again too. Be nice to run through my real home. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

In a way, you'd think between RTE1, RTE2, TV3, 3e and TG4, one of them would have some semi-decent coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

To be honest 95% of people would rather watch the same x factor show for the 3rd time in 24 hrs than watch the marathon live unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Who has Setanta anyway for Gods sake?
    Setanta Ireland. Its on the basic NTL analogue package.(Or whatever they call themselves now. UPC?)

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bart simpson

A cost analysis is probably the reason it's not shown. Actually costs a fair few quid for a live broadcast and this increases when the main protagonistics are in motion around a city. Viewing figures would be crap relative to total cost.

Somebody mentioned ladies gaa but rte are probably obliged to show that by the gaa as it's probably sold in a package.

yeah they probably wouldnt fork out the cash to do a cost analysis now!, i think it would be a profitable coverage for rte to be honest, when they stopped covering it live it probably wasnt worth it but now...there is a running boom in the country and the event is attracting record numbers each year!, also there are products such as lucozade sport, and sportsware companies which i am sure would buy advertising and sponsorship during the TV coverage.
    but im sure they will buy some south american soccer competition instead:(

How many of the 11,000 people are bringing all their family along to stand on the side of the road to watch them?

Not a huge number I expect, so there you have a pretty much guaranteed audience of their extended families and friends. Even if they are bring some family along, everyone in the country must know someone doing the race to some extent, spread the word a bit and then you have a huge audience of people trying to look out for someone they know on telly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

I'd agree with the cost analysis of this, but to be honest the people that would sit at home and watch it would be the same people that would show up at the roadside to support the runners. Better having people out on the routh the sitting at home watching it would just take from the already smallish support recieved on some parts of the route.

robinph wrote: »
    How many of the 11,000 people are bringing all their family along to stand on the side of the road to watch them?

Not a huge number I expect, so there you have a pretty much guaranteed audience of their extended families and friends. Even if they are bring some family along, everyone in the country must know someone doing the race to some extent, spread the word a bit and then you have a huge audience of people trying to look out for someone they know on telly.
    I seem to remember it been covered in the early 90s not sure what type of numbers it recieved, But a good highlight package would do me as I'm usually on the route somewhere.

Well I'd expect more people to turn out to watch on the side of the road if it was on telly as well as plenty of people to watch it on the off chance of seeing their mate.

Not sure how other big city marathons are covered in their national TV stations, but the main focus of the London coverage is of the regular punters taking part, with a bit in between showing some skinny Africans running way too fast than normal humans could do. I'd say that the BBC coverage is the reason for it having become such a big deal for charities as well, with it putting a lot of focus on the normal people that just encourages more people to want to take part, wear a silly costume and raise a bit of cash.

shels4ever wrote: »
    But a good highlight package would do me as I'm usually on the route somewhere.

A highlight program that doesn't tell you the winners at the start of the program would be a god start. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bart simpson

shels4ever wrote: »
    I'd agree with the cost analysis of this, but to be honest the people that would sit at home and watch it would be the same people that would show up at the roadside to support the runners. Better having people out on the routh the sitting at home watching it would just take from the already smallish support recieved on some parts of the route.
    the same thing was said about gaa coverage....in the early 90s before all the championship games were shown, people said if you did show all the games live the attendances would drop by huge numbers, but it had the opposite effect, having the games on the telly advertised the games and attendances went up.

the same thing was said about gaa coverage....in the early 90s before all the championship games were shown, people said if you did show all the games live the attendances would drop by huge numbers, but it had the opposite effect, having the games on the telly advertised the games and attendances went up.

Not so sure about that there was a debate this year about the league been distroyed with the extra coverage of games, but i do get your point.
    But the arm chair fan that watched GAA is not the same as the athletics fan, smaller active community involved in athletics and support tends to be raodside. Maybe i'm wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

A highlight program that doesn't tell you the winners at the start of the program would be a god start. :D

a highlight programme that doesnt have Gerry Keirnan on it would do me....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

What about the running fans that don't live in Dublin and would love nothing better than watching it live on tv

Woddle wrote: »
    What about the running fans that don't live in Dublin and would love nothing better than watching it live on tv

There are people that don't live in Dublin? :confused:

• Advertisement

There are people that don't live in Dublin? :confused:

They don't count... ;)

I'm actully pro coverage but just wouldnt be the demand to justify the money.

Advertisement