Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Feedback] - Your Gentlemen's Club

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

I had a good chat with P.C. at the last beers just about tGC in general and I think his thoughts pretty much hit the nail on the head.

BTW,Im ad libbing here
    The problem (sic) with tGC is that there are so many other forums that cater for alot of the threads that alot of men would have an interest in eg problem with my car,problem with my appearence,football, etc etc etc.The motors forum for example,its a very tight knit forum where if users were having a bad day they could post there and have a moan or if something good happens they would post there about it as well.tLL is a forum designed for female posters and is pretty much all encompassing (within reason of course).Female centred forums are virtually non existent so naturally it gets alot of traffic which is why I think tGC can sometimes struggle for more serious threads.

Its there or there abouts anyway.So as others have suggested,more serious threads = more serious posters = more serious threads.

Also,in case my last post sounded defensive or anything,that certainly wasnt the case.I wrote it on a mobile so its a pain in the nads to try and write even remotely eloquently using it.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Having read this thread http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056075636 in the TLL where 'Awful_Bliss' got a verbal beatdown for being male and daring to offer his opinion, It re-affirms the place of this forum to offer a male orientated discussion on issues.

A few months back I had feared that this forum policy may be dictated by our female visitors, seconding our opinions on our own forum, but luckily this didn't happen. As a result we have a forum which caters to male points of view on serious issues, as well as a place for a bit of banter that includes female visitors, allowing for there opinions to also be taken on board.Good Job Mods.

One thing that does annoy me though is the occasional thread that crops up where the a person(often female) seeks advice on a boyfriend/guy they are seeing, its not tolerated in the ladies lounge and don't think it should be tolerated here, that's what PI is for.

I think mirroring some topics of TLL might be a good idea, in order to facilitate male opinions on an issue.

That's pretty much my thoughts on the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

hobochris wrote: »
    One thing that does annoy me though is the occasional thread that crops up where the a person(often female) seeks advice on a boyfriend/guy they are seeing, its not tolerated in the ladies lounge and don't think it should be tolerated here, that's what PI is for.

generally they're not tolerated here and are moved to PI/RI

if you see one here, hit the report button as it'll draw the mods attention to it quicker

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Having read this thread http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056075636 in the TLL where 'Awful_Bliss' got a verbal beatdown for being male and daring to offer his opinion, It re-affirms the place of this forum to offer a male orientated discussion on issues.

A few months back I had feared that this forum policy may be dictated by our female visitors, seconding our opinions on our own forum, but luckily this didn't happen. As a result we have a forum which caters to male points of view on serious issues, as well as a place for a bit of banter that includes female visitors, allowing for there opinions to also be taken on board.Good Job Mods.

I think mirroring some topics of TLL might be a good idea, in order to facilitate male opinions on an issue.

That's pretty much my thoughts on the forum.

Please, for the love of god, don't make this place become like tll

I saw in their recent feedback thread all sorts of interesting comments - one poster said she was aware that men used tll but didn't particular want to see them start threads or even read their posts, nobody batted an eyelid at the comment

that type of mindset will hopefully never invade this forum, I hope that debate and alternative perspectives are always encouraged here, I hope that ladies can always feel free to post here and give their take on things and I hope we don't become a big clannish bunch of thanks whores who all think the same way and make anybody who thinks differently unwelcome

basically I know exactly what I want the forum NOT to become

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

The big difference between TGC and TLL and one that I think is important is that TGC is not about mens "views" but about mens "issues", as such the views of female posters are welcome and just as valid as the views of male posters, merely that the topics of threads are supposed to be themed towards issues affecting men.

I definitely do not want TGC to go down a route that devalues the opinions of a poster based on their gender and I always like reading views offered here by women even if I disagree with them.

I hope this difference continues to be maintained so yeah kudos to the mods as so far so good imho.

• Advertisement

Just a reminder folks,this feedback thread is about tGC and tGC only.Its of no concern how any other forums run,just this one so if there are criticisms this thread and forum isnt the place for them,unless they are tGC specific.Cheers.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

I don't think anything major needs to change, the forum is well run as it is. Keep up the good work.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Maguined wrote: »
    The big difference between TGC and TLL and one that I think is important is that TGC is not about mens "views" but about mens "issues", as such the views of female posters are welcome and just as valid as the views of male posters, merely that the topics of threads are supposed to be themed towards issues affecting men.

That is a very good distinction. If tGC were to tolerate "well you're a woman so you're opinion is not valued here" type responses I'd pack my bags and be on my way.
    Of course, it never will come to that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

I posted my self-introduction a few weeks ago, but being busy in RL has meant I haven't posted much since.

Anyway, I said hello because I thought this was a good forum for those who find AH wearisome, BGRH too "rashers, nyomm"-ish, etc etc ( no offence intended to those who also post in these fora-they're just not for me)

I like the mix of advice and banter & I recognise 1 or 2 posters from elsewhere that I know to be good sorts. So all in all, there isn't much I'd change aound here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭nompere

I browse here from time to time, though I very rarely post. This thread has provoked me to post again.

Part of the reason why I look briefly, and move on, is that the front page is really quite off-putting. I might have got my count wrong, but there are 26 threads there. Six are stickies, three of the others are locked and five have been moved. That's more than half the page. There's another where the OP cannot spell his topic. I wouldn't be hurrying to open that one either. It's hard to have interesting discussions when there's really so little apparent content.

I know I can go on to page 2, but it's just as easy to move somewhere else.

There is also a fear of getting the "tone" wrong. I recall posting in a lighthearted thread and wondering if I was going to upset a mod. The forum can't really make up its mind what attitude it wants to portray - and I suspect that in turn make people nervous of posting in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

nompere wrote: »
    Six are stickies, three of the others are locked and five have been moved.

Fair point. I'm the one who's stuck those threads, so I've unstuck them. None of them are very likely to drop off the first page, but I think they should stand or fall on their own merits. I've left the charter and the resource threads. I may re-stick the off-topic thread later if it falls too far behind.

There are a lot of moved threads at the moment, but I don't know if it's a regular thing. I'll keep an eye and if it is, we can look at not leaving redirects. The redirects are there as a service to the OP, but the OP is generally subscribed to the thread so I don't know if they are needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Can I ask why PUA stuff is banned? I was looking at the Greatest womanizers page there and it said techniques(this piqued my interest) are not to be discussed, confused, I consulted the charter, banned. Now, I am not into this stuff myself, but in the OP there was a guy called Mystery who I heard of, he has a TV program or something. I didnt know he looked like such a tool. However, with a bit of googling etc, I found some blog posts and stuff about how he does what he does. I was gonna post some of it but was afraid to. In the ten mins or so I spent looking at it it seems to be stuff to build up peoples confidence with women. Is this not a gentlemans club issue?

Thought this would be the place to ask.

The reason PUA stuff has been banned from discussion is because it essentionally goes against the spirit of the forum.Its one thing to have discussion about becoming more confident when talking to the opposite sex but its another thing entirely when posters start spouting crap about tricking women into bed,that men who act like regular guys are idiots as they should be using women as they see fit and other such things.Any time this topic arose it led to some posters taking it to extremes and being downright rude to borderline mysoginistic.The mods discussed it and the decision was made that it simply didnt have a place here.Hope that clears that up for you.:)

Ah, ok fair enough. Having read a bit more it does get a bit dodge. What I had read earlier was just ways to start conversations with women, but it goes a lot further than that, seems to advocate some sort of formula approach. With some psychology thrown in. Along with degrading the woman so you dont care what she thinks.
    Thanks for the reply anyway :)

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Along with degrading the woman so you dont care what she thinks.

Aye,it was that kind of crap that was causing the hassle.You are welcome BTW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Ah, ok fair enough. Having read a bit more it does get a bit dodge. What I had read earlier was just ways to start conversations with women, but it goes a lot further than that, seems to advocate some sort of formula approach. With some psychology thrown in. Along with degrading the woman so you dont care what she thinks.

it tends to be that the dedicated PUA dudes are only interested in posting techniques, but never discussing them or objectively evaluating them, which tends not to fly on a discussion board, as ned has said.
    It's a shame, because topics like that (how to talk to women, how to boost your confidence etc) are a natural fit for this forum. We do try to let the genuine stuff through, but "reserve the right" etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

nedtheshed wrote: »
    I had a good chat with P.C. at the last beers just about tGC in general and I think his thoughts pretty much hit the nail on the head.

BTW,Im ad libbing here

The problem (sic) with tGC is that there are so many other forums that cater for alot of the threads that alot of men would have an interest in eg problem with my car,problem with my appearence,football, etc etc etc.The motors forum for example,its a very tight knit forum where if users were having a bad day they could post there and have a moan or if something good happens they would post there about it as well.tLL is a forum designed for female posters and is pretty much all encompassing (within reason of course).Female centred forums are virtually non existent so naturally it gets alot of traffic which is why I think tGC can sometimes struggle for more serious threads.
    :)

I like it in here.

The above is very true. I mainly post in athletics and gambling as specific personal interests of mine and then stop in here for a read and the odd contribution.

I think the forum has a good core of posters and fulfills a purpose. I personally don't see it as a purely male version of the Ladies Lounge and would not want it to become that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Can I ask why PUA stuff is banned? I was looking at the Greatest womanizers page there and it said techniques(this piqued my interest) are not to be discussed, confused, I consulted the charter, banned. Now, I am not into this stuff myself, but in the OP there was a guy called Mystery who I heard of, he has a TV program or something. I didnt know he looked like such a tool. However, with a bit of googling etc, I found some blog posts and stuff about how he does what he does. I was gonna post some of it but was afraid to. In the ten mins or so I spent looking at it it seems to be stuff to build up peoples confidence with women. Is this not a gentlemans club issue?

Thought this would be the place to ask.

The real reason is PUA would stop being effective if everyone knew how it worked. The forum is too widely read -the PUA illuminati then stepped in. :D

I knew it!

The real reason is PUA would stop being effective if everyone knew how it worked. The forum is too widely read -the PUA illuminati then stepped in. :D

No they didnt.

>.>

<.<

>.>

:pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement