Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Feedback] - Your Gentlemen's Club

Options
  • 14-10-2010 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭

Good evening gents and ladies.The forum has been going for over a year now and we have yet to have a feedback thread about the forum so now is as good a time as any to start one.

Tis simple really,the mod team are interested in what you all think of the forum in general.

What do you like/dislike?
    What would you like to see more/less of?
    Is there anything that grinds your gears?

etc

Any suggestions about the forum in general,how to make it better and what not should be posted.

Any and all feedback is appreciated and everything will be taken seriously and discussed.

So in the immortal words of Delia Smith,lets be avin you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

I dislike the insecure teenage "does this girl like me?" threads. Along with the passive aggressive I hate women threads because I had a bad night in a club.

There are a lot of personal issue threads on the forum. Gets repetitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,318 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I find it frustrating that the forum can't be searched. I can't even search for my own posts.

From what I read this is because poster might be sensitive about old posts being dragged up. Yet search is enabled in other forums that might have sensitive issues such as Ladies Lounge, PI, Health Sciences etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,770 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

is there a "Know your Gentlemen" link?
    If not, we should get one and sticky it, that way if I am having a bad day I can look at the lastest picture and think "well, at least I'm not that poor cnut!":)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

BrianD3 wrote: »
    I find it frustrating that the forum can't be searched. I can't even search for my own posts.

From what I read this is because poster might be sensitive about old posts being dragged up. Yet search is enabled in other forums that might have sensitive issues such as Ladies Lounge, PI, Health Sciences etc.

Are you sure PI threads are searchable?Ive never tried searching there but was under the impression that it wasnt and was going to remain that way for obvious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,318 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I just did some searches there. Looks like PI is searchable when i'm logged in but not when I'm logged out. Whereas this forum is the opposite, searchable when logged out but not when logged in. :confused: So I have a way of searching this forum. But the searching arrangments may be something for you to look into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Smyth wrote: »
    I dislike the insecure teenage "does this girl like me?" threads. Along with the passive aggressive I hate women threads because I had a bad night in a club.

+1, I dont mind giving my opinion as a man on issues, but sometimes i think there should be a sticky that gives general dating advice.

oh, and MOAR BEWBS!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Beaten to the punch Ned. I was drafting something similar myself. :)
    The Gentlemens Club - Redux?
    The forum is now a bit over a year old. (20-08-2009 just to save ye the search). In that time it's gone through a raft of changes and a few mods* (yours truly included). It's been battered and beaten into the shape it is today. It's like the assgroove of Homers sofa. Is it time to look again at what the forum is now and what it was intended to be? Is it time to redraft the charter to reflect what the forum has become? One has to admit that the forum is not mens health and issues with a little bit of banter.
    It is tLL for men - or AH-Lite if you will.

I would like to see the Health link severed from tGC as it simply does not cater for that need. Health issues tend to get lost amid a deluge of 'Help me score with a babe' threads. I'd rather see a new forum created (eventually) to run along the lines that tGC was originaly intended too but while tGC maintains the original charter and link to Mens Health no new forum is possible.

I'm not advocating change of policy or scope within tGC, we are long past that now but I think the charter should reflect the forum as it now stands, a 'Soc' forum rather then a 'Sci' forum.

*This is not a critique of the mods or the users just an observation of changes.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

I really like the way the forum has worked out.

For a while I didn't like the direction but it seems to be more relaxed now. The atmosphere to me now seems to be one where jokey threads, serious debates as well as personal issues from a male perspective are all catered for.

Despite all this I haven't posted much here recently. What drives me mad is not being able to search your own posts. When I log onto boards I search my posts to see if anyone's replied or there's further discussion in the thread. I post on multiple forums so this makes things handy.

I see no reason anymore to not be able to search your tgc posts. Its a big public forum now I doubt anyone's saying anything here they wouldn't mind other people knowing. Also - we have the annoymous poster option.

If you agree post here http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056047522

Any more thoughts/ideas out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

What about a weekly sticky with something along the ideas of -

Favourite recipe
    Good Restaurants
    Decent barbers
    Fashion tips, style etc
    Decent bar for a pint or two

Just a thought............pretty good forum to be honest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

papagormo wrote: »
    is there a "Know your Gentlemen" link?
    If not, we should get one and sticky it, that way if I am having a bad day I can look at the lastest picture and think "well, at least I'm not that poor cnut!":)

This, though i would call it "know your clubbers" and instantly enforce the no pic no post rules that other forums all adopted sooner or later.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Maguined wrote: »
    This, though i would call it "know your clubbers" and instantly enforce the no pic no post rules that other forums all adopted sooner or later.

You can just click new thread, call it that, then put a photo of yourself in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Threads seeking medical advice are routinely closed, and rightly so. But it is never explained to the OPs that while medical advice is a complete no no, asking other posters to share their experience of a condition isn't. Maybe, when appropriate, the OP could be given the option of rephrasing the original question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I think getting rid of the "Mens Issues" redirect in the SCI menu would help reduce the number of medical advice threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Thats true, but that rasies the question - is this still the forum to discuss mens health issues in, or should that now be left to the long term illness forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Rubik. wrote: »
    Thats true, but that rasies the question - is this still the forum to discuss mens health issues in, or should that now be left to the long term illness forum?
    I assume the LTI forum caters to illness that effects both sexes eg arthritis diabetes etc while circumcision and PMT would be part of the the gentlemans club and ladies lounge. Just my opinion, mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Rubik. wrote: »
    Threads seeking medical advice are routinely closed, and rightly so. But it is never explained to the OPs that while medical advice is a complete no no, asking other posters to share their experience of a condition isn't. Maybe, when appropriate, the OP could be given the option of rephrasing the original question.

Fair point, well made - noted. from my experience in LTI I think it is important to have "My experience with.." threads.
    5live wrote: »
    I assume the LTI forum caters to illness that effects both sexes eg arthritis diabetes etc while circumcision and PMT would be part of the the gentlemans club and ladies lounge. Just my opinion, mind

Yeah that'd be fair enough. The medicaly type stuff we'd expect to see (I mean expect from experience, not expect from users if you know what I mean) would things like the circ thread, which was closed in PI and doesn't really suit LTI.

Search should be activated today, btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

You can just click new thread, call it that, then put a photo of yourself in it.

True that though I would prefer if it the mods made an official one so they can make the thread specific no pic no post rules in effect from the get go so it doesnt turn into one post of pics and several posts of chat like happened to every other "know your ..." threads before the mods brought in those rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Smyth wrote: »

I don't think they are any where near as frequent as they were originally.

Anyway, I think the forum is great, it's very welcoming and opening. Plus, there's no pack mentality present in this forum (from my observation anyway) so it really is a good place to discuss something in a relaxed manner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

No complaints here. That's a sign the forum is in good nick, I'm a moany buzzer.

I do like that macho posturing comments ("man the f#ck up!" / "don't be such a girly man") are kept at bay. It's refreshing being able to have a serious discussion about men's issues on boards (but keeping the tone light too, kudos!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I think the forums grand cant really complain at all. :cool:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I dislike what the forum has become to be honest. It's basically after-hours-lite. I don't really drop by much any more. Threads like "omg, chicks in halloween costumes ftw" just put me off.

Khannie wrote: »
    I dislike what the forum has become to be honest. It's basically after-hours-lite. I don't really drop by much any more. Threads like "omg, chicks in halloween costumes ftw" just put me off.
    I think thats a little unfair Khannie.Every effort has been made by the mods to keep the AH style muppetry to a minimum.Obviously you cant see them but there are lots of posts that have been deleted for that very reason.The Halloween thread mentioned hasnt been closed as yet as I want to give the OP a chance to elaborate on it rather than locking it right off the bat.Its much easier to criticise than to suggest ways off improving things which is why this thread was started in the first place,ya know.:)

I don't think that was Khannies point Ned. No one is disputing or questioning the amount of work the mods do (unseen) on the forum and we are all thankful for your efforts.

I believe what he means (and I agree) is that the quality, scope and content of the threads in the forum more noise then signal.
    That is all well and good if that is what the users want for the forum but it's not what the forum is claiming to be.

I would much prefer to see fewer but better quality posts rather then a high number of frivolous posts that would be better suited to other existing forums. The number of good threads being posted is enough to keep the forum alive and viable and it doesn’t need the PI/tLL/AH style threads littering the place. There is plenty of room for chat and banter amongst the interesting threads so the forum feeling won’t be stifled.

tl;dr
    Nip mundane threads in the bud.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I'm just telling it like I see it dude. It's not a commentary on your moderation at all. I think you do a bang up job. I'm just conscious that I don't really drop by here much any more and that's the reason why. You asked for feedback (critical or otherwise). ;) It's a "feeling" that I have, so not something I could directly suggest ways to change. The tone of the forum is fairly different from 6 months ago, no?

edit: OG got in there while I was typing, but I essentially agree with him. I'm not mad for nipping things in buds so much (moderation should be unnoticed for the most part IMO and I think you all do a great job of that). I'd very much agree that the signal to noise ratio has declined though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

It comes down to the old cliche doesn't it? You want less mundane threads? Well then take the bull by the horns and create the threads you want to see yourself. ;)

I would much prefer to see fewer but better quality posts rather then a high number of frivolous posts that would be better suited to other existing forums. The number of good threads being posted is enough to keep the forum alive and viable and it doesn’t need the PI/tLL/AH style threads littering the place. There is plenty of room for chat and banter amongst the interesting threads so the forum feeling won’t be stifled.

the problem with that OG, is that you end up with a forum full of threads that I, or Ned or Sam find interesting - it reflects our personal tastes. There is a bit of steering that goes on, but at a very very high level - usually the forum reflects the majority of the posters.

Now, that's not to say we can't *protect* other threads. The difference is, I don't feel like I have a right to say "you can't start a thread on <subject>" where it falls generally within the remit of the charter, albeit leaning towards...shall we say...the lowest common denominator.

However, if you or khannie start a serious thread, you both know that the mods are going to cut out any crap that anyone posts in that thread.

However, we have a catch 22 situation. The majority of threads are light-hearted so people like yourself (and myself to be fair) may feel it's a waste of time posting more serious threads.
    However, in order to attract more serious posters, there needs to be more serious threads.

All I can do is suggest - and I mean this with the greatest respect, I'm not having a dig at all - that if you want a more interesting forum, you change your role from passive (wanting others to start serious threads) to active (starting those threads yourself). I think after a while you reap what you sow, and you'll see more threads like that being started.

Again, I know exactly where you and kahnnie are coming from and I know there's no beef here or anything. I'm just pointing out that these things don't happen organically but if anyone makes the effort to start a serious thread, we'll (the mods) make sure that those threads are protected.

tl:dr: what lz5bz5 said :p

• Advertisement

*Cough* Moar Beers needed.

It's not down to just the mods tastes tbh. If there is a thread posted about football them realistically it should be moved to the football forums. If there was a question about cars then the place for it is in the motoring forums. The most frequent of these threads cropping up are the "My boyfriend/My girlfriend" types things that should be in PI.

Perhaps thats just my OCD kicking in and wanting things neatly cubbyholed where they belong. I just believe the forum would be better for being a bit more rigorous in pruning threads.
    Just my opinion. :o

If and when I find suitable topics to create threads about I'll post them (and hopefully get to post it before Ned steals my thunder like he did with this thread :) ).

So you see I'm not complaining about the derth of good threads but rather the abundance of trite ones.

Advertisement