Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Ford Transit Hi-Cube Conversion

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭HandsomeRover

Buford T Justice

I am new to Boards.ie and I'm feeling-my-way.

My story

I have ended up with a 2001 Fiat Ducato LWB minibus, with about 310cm usable space behind driver.

I decided to start a project, to converting the minibus into a Camper-Van and rather than sell it in order to buy something more suitable for conversion I concluded that 'the devil you know'.. with only 50K genuine miles, to keep it and do the best i can.

I've been scouring the 'net' for ideas.

I bought a 20 year-old Swift-Corniche as a donor, from that I salvaged a Fridge, Oven, Hob, Water-heater, Sink&Drain-Board, Thetford C2 poti, the 12v Distributor - a 2S4V type T, also a Mains Hook-up & & of course the Cushioning.
    A friend donated a 24v Eberspacher Heater.
    I have swivel-seats & a 'clip-in' seat (with the attachments) from a Galaxy Ghia.
    I have...
    a 12v to 24v dc-dc converter,
    a 12v dc to 240v Inverters.
    Fresh & Waste Water-Tanks,
    a Gas Tank,
    a 22 liter Calorifier,
    2 Rad Heaters with fan, link to bus water cooling system),
    a E.L.C.B. & several Trip-switches,
    12v 100amp breakers,
    12v isolation switch,
    a 4-way Gas manifold
    (6)12v Lights from the Bus and caravan.
    I'v silver-glazed the windows, so no one can see in.
    I have cleaned out the van to the bare floors and wall.

I'm almost ready to start the actual work on the bus,

I am still resourcing, while researching about the insulation, the I found Bufort T Justice's Ford conversion via some question I posed in the search box .. it's DESTINY!
    You are using identical components to what I have, which is my reason for contacting you..

My intention WAS to use 'Kingspan' 25mm on the Floor and Roof, 75mm up to the window level (that is the depth of the paneling from window-bottom to floor) and 50mm from window-sill to roof, 25mm stips over the Cab and the I read somewhere to " insulate over the ribs of the van " and 'HandsomeRover' mentioned " Fitted insulation and vapour barrier behind ply lining on floor, walls and ceiling".
    What is, where do I get and how do i fit "" VAPOUR BARRIER"??
    I heard of it before, but there are no clues as to what it is, where to get it (in Ireland), or where/how to fit it, under or over the Insulation.
    I'm confused.
    Help would be appreciated,
    Regards,
    Jack

xfatherjack

A vapour barrier is simply an unbroken (no holes) layer of polythene that goes over your insulation to prevent condensation generated within the van from reaching the insulation and rotting it. It acts like an umbrella where the insulation is the person holding it (and being protected) and the condensation created inside the van (from cooking, breathing, boiling the kettle) heating etc) is the rain.

Here's what i did...

I stripped out the van of all ply, back to the bare skin and ribs.

Onto the skin i stuck foil-backed bubble-wrap insulation with evo-stik spray adhesive.

Then I put in the recycled plastic insulation - its better than rockwool as its less susceptible to water, doesn't cause any breathing difficulties and is easier to work with. It also performs better on acoustic insulation.

Over the recycled plastic insulation i draped the vapour barrier. I'll come back to this....

Then I put on the ply, and i plan to carpet over the ply.

Now, my problems with this setup are as follows...
    I did not insulate the ribs. And when I say "I put the ply on" - I screwed it into the ribs, piercing the vapour barrier. So essentially what I have is a cold bridge in the ribs where condensation forms, and it finds its way to the screws and leaks out to the ply, staining it and rotting it. The screws are starting to rust. I'm dreading the reconstruction job ahead of me, for fear of what I may find, but also because I cut corners in the first place thinking I'd get away with it! Why do we always have time to do things twice but never have time to do things right?!

So my advice is to insulate the bejaysus out of every piece of metal you can access. If you use expanding foam ensure its a closed cell variety else it will rot quicker than it hardens if water/damp gets at it. I wouldn't recommend expanding foam - it pricy and i don't think it performs as well as conventional insulation - what do others think?

A vapour barrier is very important - it performs a vital role in the longevity of your van. I knew someone in the DIY trade and got a lot of good quality packaging plastic off him that they would have thrown out anyway. A tip - carpet comes in long plastic sleeve; these are a thicker plastic than shrink wrap - have a chat with your local carpet man and ask him to save you some big ones, un-damaged.

When cooking or even just breathing, we are creating vapour in the air. This warm vapour-laden air wants to cool, and is attracted to cold surfaces. Without insulation that would be the inside skin of the van. It also windows; thats why they stream up, and even droplets form. To avoid this stage of the process, or at least minimise its effects, we can open a window or door or skylight and let the warm vapour-laden air escape. The key is to stay one step ahead of the vapour - plan for it and it won't be an issue for you. My sky light is over my cooker... for example.

Good luck with it...

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭jamesbil

Just looked at this thread Buford, great job!
    Have you worked out the cost of conversion? Excluding van and labour?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

This thread deserves far more interest and thanks, not enough of these DIY jobs. A brilliant thread, loved the electronics bit, very interesting!

Keep up the good work! :)
    cormie wrote: »
    Don't worry, there are some observers who aren't actively taking part in the discussions ;)

Only just found this thread now! Love these threads because they open up possibilities and make you feel like you can follow on and do these things for yourself etc.

- Buford thanks for sharing all of this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

First class job, very well done.

I have a 97 LWB semi high transit from new, it's in semi retirement, 85,000 genuine miles and well looked after mechanically.

I was thinking of converting it to a two berth camper, looks a lot more work than I first thought but the major advantages of your way are you know where every wire and pipe is, and the feel good factor of driving your own work must be priceless.

Thank you for such a detailed interesting thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

I just seen this thread now for the first time ... good to see a conversion from start to finish with pics and updates for tax, insurance, etc. Well done looks v good :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 TCorcoran

well done on the conversion, looks the job and no doubt alot of time went in to the conversion. I just have a few quick questions I'm picking up a new caddy soon and want to insulate ply line and carpet and maybe even put led uplights, speakers etc, its more for personal use so want to lower the road noise and keep the back looking clean. Is the carpet a job that can be easily done yourself or is it more hassle than its worth. Any tips on installing it? where to get it? I was talking to david at vanderlust and he has the veltrim. But any other advice or web sites or forums would be a great help.

Cheers,

T

Advertisement